- - - - -

Choline for Diabetics

choline diabetes blood sugar

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ironman

• 18 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:46 AM

Both of my parents are poorly controlled diabetics on insulin. I should say "were" poorly controlled, because 1176 mg of Choline per day (in the form of choline bitartrate) has dramtically improved thier blood sugar control before and after meals and especially morning glucose. The effect was completely unexpected and occurred immediately. These are people in their late 60s that have had excursions of glucose into the 300-400 mg/dl range at times. They have literally halved their insulin dosages!

The only explanation I have is that the increased methylation from the choline has acted as some sort of epigenetic switch on hepatic gluconeogenesis. This would explain the vastly improved morning sugars. One of them now routinely has sugars in the 60-70 range in the mornings while the other is around 115. Even after meals they dont shoot as high as they did previously.

Truly amazed by this and have called Linus Pauling Institute and LEF to try and get somebody to follow up on this with addtional research. Have not been able to find anything on PUBMED about this kind of effect.

Any ideas on how to get the word out to some serious researchers?

Thanks.

#2 renfr

• 1,059 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:52 AM

There is a 1929 study that showed choline lowers significantly blood sugar in rats.

Edited by renfr, 02 February 2013 - 01:53 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Ironman

• Topic Starter
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:00 AM

Renfr, got a link? Thanks.

#4 renfr

• 1,059 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:26 AM

here

Edited by renfr, 02 February 2013 - 02:28 AM.

#5 Ironman

• Topic Starter
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:04 AM

Can you message me it? Its not showing up here for me.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 guitarparty

• 22 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:01 AM

>I should say "were" poorly controlled, because 1176 mg of Choline per day (in the form of choline bitartrate) has dramtically improved thier blood sugar control before and after meals and especially morning glucose.

Hi Ironman,

I'm an elderly diabetic too. I've read just a little bit about choline, not enough. I'm taking some, though: the Jarrows brand of "Citicoline--CDP Choline"--250 mg capsules. The way I selected that one was by searching for choline at Amazon, and when seeing a brand pop up that I generally like, I ordered it. I have much better glucose control now too, but that trend started before starting with choline here. I think it relates mostly to a change in diet and to some degree the several supplements I'm taking that are believed to have a good effect on glucose control. I've been taking CDP choline for a few weeks and take just one capsule daily. That's the recommended dosage for that one--and I'm figuring that's enough, given that I have serious kidney issues to worry about and I don't know how easily any excess flushes through the system.

I've never heard of choline bitartrate. Do you see a difference between choline bitartrate and buying a brand that doesn't say anything more than "choline"? Or the Jarrows CDP one that I bought?

Would you mind sharing the brand name they are using? (I see a box to the right of your post for "Alpha GPC" but assume that's not something you put there.)

Thanks so much for your post! I hope the news spreads. I imagine I'm just one of millions who could use that kind of help from a supplement.

Best wishes, Mary

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: choline, diabetes, blood sugar

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users