- - - - -

Armodafinil - urine smell

waklert urine armodafinil

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 PhysicsMaestro

• 7 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:38 PM

I recently picked up some armodafinil (waklert) from mymodafinil, and wanted to share a concern. I've been using modafinil (modalert) for about 8 months now, and regularly noticed a distinct smell of my urine whenever taking it. However, with this armodafinil, I don't seem to notice it, which worries me a bit (i.e., not really what it states to be). Has anyone else noticed this difference between armodafinil and modafinil? I thought maybe the S-enantiomer could be metabolized and excreted quicker, thus resulting in an early onset smell, but I am just guessing. Was thinking of running a TLC to compare the two, but I don't think we have any silica plates...

Other than that, I *think* I feel all the normal things I felt on modafinil, but I am very capable of placebo'ing myself. Does anyone else have any experience? Should armodafinil produce the same smell at the same rate?

p.s.: I also noticed the taste, sublingually, was slightly different. More of a dull bitter and less of a 'fake sweet' taste for armodafinil compared to modafinil.
  • like x 1

#2 jadamgo

• 701 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:13 PM

The difference could easily be due to one of the excipients of the tablet, not the active ingredient. It's also possible that only the S-enantiomer causes the smell, and of course, there's the possibility that either these pills or the old ones didn't actually contain modafinil. Sometimes they contain caffeine or dimethylamylamine or other stimulants, either mixed with modafinil or completely replacing it.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 PhysicsMaestro

• Topic Starter
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:33 PM

Thanks for your reply. Have you had any of these experiences with either of these compounds?

I thought the odorous urine was ubiquitous to all variants of modafinil, resulting from its metabolites. But I guess the smell could be dependent on the enantiomer. I am willing to assume that whatever enzyme metabolizes modafinil to modafinil acid would leave its chirality intact. I don't think it would be the excipients since the smell is so widely reported with different sources (and the modafinil has a sulfiyl group, so)

--- > Did some pubmed crawling briefly, and there are two primary metabolites: modafinil acid (chiral at the sulfur) and modafinil sulfone (achiral). The acid is the primary metabolite. So there are several possibilities for the absence of the smell in my urine (assuming the modalert I had was indeed modafinil, which I believe it was).

1) (S)-modafinil acid has a stronger smell than ( R)-modafinil acid (since smell is often dependent on chirality, this seems believable);
1.1) also, since (S)-modafinil is metabolized quicker, the concentration of the acid in the first few incidents of urination would be higher than the ( R)-acid
2) modafinil sulfone is primarily a metabolite of (S)-modafinil mostly and is primarily responsible for the smell (not very believable imo)
3) I didn't receive any ( R)-modafinil after all
3.1) It's definitely not caffeine. I took an extra pill just for kicks, and I am definitely stimulated; I've mega-dosed caffeine many times to know this isn't it. I can't rule out other stims though.

Too bad clinical reports don't often describe the smell of urine.

So, everyone, does your ( R)-modafinil urine smell bad? How about your R/S?
  • like x 1

#4 jadamgo

• 701 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:35 AM

I've taken what was definitely armodafinil (sample packet from a physician) and I certainly didn't notice any smell, though I have never taken racemic modafinil so can't comment on it.

I don't have any evidence to prove it, but pure reason suggests that point 1) of your post is correct. If (S)-modafinil acid is chiral at the sulfur, then it's very reasonable to guess that it has a different smell than ®-modafinil acid.

#5 Sunwind

• 103 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:22 PM

I think I have seen this before and the conclusion has always been the inactive enantiomer not causing the smell. Personally I have anosmia so I couldn't tell anyway, but interesting nonetheless.

#6 machete234

• 459 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:48 AM

I think I did not notice any smell on waklert but I did from modalert.

#7 Sunwind

• 103 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:15 PM

Rather than make a new topic on Armodafinil, I was wondering if anyone could tell me the following things:

1) Can it be taken sublingually or does it need to go through the GI tract? Because the only negative side-effect I get is really bad diarrhea from it, so it must be irritating down there.

2) If taken sublingually, how much stronger would it be, time until onset, would duration be shorter? if so, by how much? I think oral is 15hours.(?)

3) How long to keep it under tongue? 20mins?

4) I'm trying to use it to self medicate ADD because I can't get anything on prescription (Armoda is legal here so I just buy that), however I seem to develop tolerance quite fast, do we know of any ways to reduce it? I am trying to stick to using it only 3 days per week, but even at 3 days a week I can feel huge tolerance by day 3.

For anyone that's interested, I found taking just 1mg of Melatonin before sleep after a day of using Armodafinil in the morning is enough to help get me a good nights sleep and 'correct' my circadian rythm which Armodafinil seems to disrupt - otherwise I just wake up having felt like I got 0 sleep, then 2 hours later I am flat out all day, then the cycle of poor sleep continues, from using it only one day. (I have never pulled an all-nighter with it, and have always gone to sleep at my normal times and awoke at my normal times when taking it, or close enough. As I say I am using it to self medicate not stay up all night writing an essay.)

Is there anything synergistic with it that I could use to potentiate its effects? My tolerance to Caffeine+L-Theanine combo develops even more rapidly, I would say I would have to go 3 weeks without using any to even feel it, are there any racetams that could help?

Oh and regarding the 'recovery' from using Armoda, is there anything that supplementing with could help? Like for example, D3 in the morning after a day of using it I am told could help, so I've been doing that. But what I want is something more in terms of reducing the time it takes my neurotransmitter stuff to fix itself, like I know it does something like artifically increase norepenephrine and dopamine slightly in the brain, so after using it, those receptors will be downregulated, right? So is there nothing you can do to help with their healing? I thought maybe taking L-Tyrosine could help, but that would just introduce more of the neurotransmitters into the brain and saturate the receptors even more? Or could it help bring equilibrium back?

Thanks if anyone can help.

Edited by Sunwind, 19 September 2013 - 12:18 PM.

• like x 1

#8 Geoffrey

• 218 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:22 PM

1) Can it be taken sublingually or does it need to go through the GI tract? Because the only negative side-effect I get is really bad diarrhea from it, so it must be irritating down there.

2) If taken sublingually, how much stronger would it be, time until onset, would duration be shorter? if so, by how much? I think oral is 15hours.(?)

3) How long to keep it under tongue? 20mins?

I can't answer everything in your post, but I regularly take r-modafinil sublingually. The onset is faster and the initial effect is stronger. I tend to take a quarter of a pill this way and redose every three hours or so, if I have a need. I've also taken a quarter pill sublingually and the other quarter swallowed, which is a way to kick-start the onset but have the effect last a little longer.

I find it dissolves quickly under the tongue. A quarter pill dissolves in about five minutes, assuming normal saliva flow and tongue movement. Clearly it would be possible to make it last longer. Experiment for yourself!

#9 machete234

• 459 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:19 PM

Oh and regarding the 'recovery' from using Armoda, is there anything that supplementing with could help? Like for example, D3 in the morning after a day of using it I am told could help, so I've been doing that. But what I want is something more in terms of reducing the time it takes my neurotransmitter stuff to fix itself, like I know it does something like artifically increase norepenephrine and dopamine slightly in the brain, so after using it, those receptors will be downregulated, right? So is there nothing you can do to help with their healing? I thought maybe taking L-Tyrosine could help, but that would just introduce more of the neurotransmitters into the brain and saturate the receptors even more? Or could it help bring equilibrium back?

You can protect yourself a little by taking moderate doses of ashwagandha 3x a day when you are also on ®moda.
I have nothing to back that up but subjectively it prevents the "rush" ~2h after taking it and Im less irritable.
It feels as if it does less with your receptors and thus doesnt downregulate them as much.

I dont know if it works sublingually because it tastes really bad, maybe it can be snorted, I dont know.

I find it dissolves quickly under the tongue. A quarter pill dissolves in about five minutes, assuming normal saliva flow and tongue movement. Clearly it would be possible to make it last longer. Experiment for yourself!

Interesting, a shorter duration is what most healthy people need anyways.

Edited by machete234, 19 September 2013 - 03:22 PM.

#10 dannyo

• 12 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:05 PM

I noticed the same thing I thought it was just me

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#11 Sunwind

• 103 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:17 PM

You can protect yourself a little by taking moderate doses of ashwagandha 3x a day when you are also on ®moda.
I have nothing to back that up but subjectively it prevents the "rush" ~2h after taking it and Im less irritable.
It feels as if it does less with your receptors and thus doesnt downregulate them as much.

I dont know if it works sublingually because it tastes really bad, maybe it can be snorted, I dont know.

Interesting, a shorter duration is what most healthy people need anyways.

Well I took two sublingually today, I can say for sure the onset was faster, I think it was stronger, and longer lasting, this is on my 4th day of use too. I wasn't planning on having to use it today but I had a doctor and hospital appointment so really needed it.

Also I actually *like* the rush it gives me, it kills my chronic social anxiety and makes me charismatic and funny and outspoken, that's what I want. Without having to do heroin.
  • like x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: waklert, urine, armodafinil

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users