- - - - -

Nootropic Stack for stuttering

stuttering stammer stamering stutter

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 JR7

• 113 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:18 PM

I have developmental stuttering that ranges from mild to moderate. Speech therapy has not worked for me. There is no cure for stuttering and many, many ideas as to what causes it (high dopamine, left and right brain hemisphere miscommunication, psyhosocial stresses, etc). I would love some advice for a possible nootrpoic stack that may help alleviate my speech impediment.
Thank you in advance!

#2 rakuz

• 4 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:48 PM

hey there. I'm a developmental stutterer too, and I too have been trying to find a good stack to make my stuttering less of a problem. I've tried piracetam for a while, but effects I've observed were mostly placebo. However, I was on piracetam for at most 2 months, and it seems that this isn't long enough for noticeable effects.

I noticed from other stuttering posts in this forum(and there are unfortunately not many), that you took aniceram for a while? How has that been so far?

Right now, I'm trying bacopa. I'm also considering ashwagandha, which seems to have improved speech for some people on this forum

Edited by rakuz, 22 March 2013 - 08:52 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Rent this spot in Nootropics Topics to support Longecity (this will replace the google ad).

#3 Adam90

• 71 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:09 PM

Racetam type nootropics tend to help me a little bit with oral fluency. The overall effect isn't very strong, but still worth a try.
  • like x 1

#4 valkyr

• 40 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:46 AM

In my case piracetam has a noticeable effect on speech ... I do seem to be more fluent and use broader vocabulary while on it. OTOH I don't suffer from stuttering. Still worth a try though.
  • like x 1

#5 JR7

• Topic Starter
  • 113 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:07 AM

Ive been taking Aniracetam and Alpha GPC, a combo I found on this site. This stack definitely puts me in a positive mood, which has an indirect affect on my speech. I also take 500mg of B1 which is, in theory, supposed to relax the vocal chords.
Can anyone think of something else I could add to this stack?
Thank you!

hey there. I'm a developmental stutterer too, and I too have been trying to find a good stack to make my stuttering less of a problem. I've tried piracetam for a while, but effects I've observed were mostly placebo. However, I was on piracetam for at most 2 months, and it seems that this isn't long enough for noticeable effects.

I noticed from other stuttering posts in this forum(and there are unfortunately not many), that you took aniceram for a while? How has that been so far?

Right now, I'm trying bacopa. I'm also considering ashwagandha, which seems to have improved speech for some people on this forum

Definitely try high dose B1, per this thread:
http://stuttersense....stuttering.html

Your thoughts on bacopa so far?

#6 rakuz

• 4 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:21 AM

i've tried thiamin before, really didnt notice anything in the 2 weeks.
As for bacopa, its hard to say, I haven't been on it consistently. I just got some valerian because I heard that it had similar properties to pagoclone.

http://blogger.whohe...eplacement.html

this guy was apparently on the pagoclone trial and had to look for an alternative after it ended. Pagoclone was originally designed for panic and anxiety attacks, valerian has similar effects in that sense. It also seems to be a GABA inhibitor

#7 Unstoppable

• 31 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:22 AM

Perhaps sulbuthiamine instead of plain thiamin? It is known to raise brain thiamin levels far more effectively

#8 JR7

• Topic Starter
  • 113 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:03 PM

Perhaps sulbuthiamine instead of plain thiamin? It is known to raise brain thiamin levels far more effectively

I will give this a shot. Thank you!

As for bacopa, its hard to say, I haven't been on it consistently. I just got some valerian because I heard that it had similar properties to pagoclone.

this guy was apparently on the pagoclone trial and had to look for an alternative after it ended. Pagoclone was originally designed for panic and anxiety attacks, valerian has similar effects in that sense. It also seems to be a GABA inhibitor

I was reading, on this site in fact, that your body will begin to downregulate GABA receptors after time, as it does with some Benzos

In my case piracetam has a noticeable effect on speech ... I do seem to be more fluent and use broader vocabulary while on it. OTOH I don't suffer from stuttering. Still worth a try though.

Would you say Piractame may be more speech specific than Aniracetam?

#9 valkyr

• 40 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:38 PM

I haven't tried Aniracetam so I couldn't tell. However piracetam's effect on speech is quite substantial. A study performed on children with down syndrome shows dramatic improvement in speech, more so than in any other area, social interaction being a close second (which mirrors my experience).

Of course, the effect may be specific to this particular illness but it is reasonable to assume similar effects on healthy people, albeit not as pronounced as those seen in the mentally retarded since the brain of a normal person is already functioning close to its optimal capacity and therefore leaves less room for improvement.

Edited by valkyr, 25 March 2013 - 10:09 PM.

#10 JR7

• Topic Starter
  • 113 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:33 AM

I haven't tried Aniracetam so I couldn't tell. However piracetam's effect on speech is quite substantial. A study performed on children with down syndrome shows dramatic improvement in speech, more so than in any other area, social interaction being a close second (which mirrors my experience).

Of course, the effect may be specific to this particular illness but it is reasonable to assume similar effects on healthy people, albeit not as pronounced as those seen in the mentally retarded since the brain of a normal person is already functioning close to its optimal capacity and therefore leaves less room for improvement.

Valkyr, thank you for your feedback. I will definitely be giving this a shot and will report back.

#11 rakuz

• 4 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:26 AM

I was reading, on this site in fact, that your body will begin to downregulate GABA receptors after time, as it does with some Benzos

You're talking about long term valerian usage? Would you mind showing me where you saw that?

As for piracetam, the issue really is getting the right dose for a long period of time. I might consider trying it again, but has anyone actually made significant improvement to their stuttering with it? I see alot of anecdotes and research about improvement in speech, but its not quite the same as stuttering.

#12 JR7

• Topic Starter
  • 113 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:32 AM

You're talking about long term valerian usage? Would you mind showing me where you saw that?

As for piracetam, the issue really is getting the right dose for a long period of time. I might consider trying it again, but has anyone actually made significant improvement to their stuttering with it? I see alot of anecdotes and research about improvement in speech, but its not quite the same as stuttering.

I'll try to find it again. It was a thread on this forum reviewing all the anxiety supplements and their efficacy.

#13 Tom_

• 1,120 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:41 AM

You could try Phenibut - its a bit extreme and can't really be used daily but at low doses of around 200mg it will relax you. Another idea is cyclic use of benzos or clonazapam long term as its faily safe.

Highish dose 5HTP/tryptophan

Dopamine antagonists have been shown effective. Something like 25mg quetiapine.
  • like x 1

#14 JR7

• Topic Starter
  • 113 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:11 AM

Here is the thread: http://www.longecity...ly-effectively/

Scroll down a bit and you will read the info on Valerian root with cited references.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Rent this spot in Nootropics Topics to support Longecity (this will replace the google ad).

#15 JR7

• Topic Starter
  • 113 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:24 AM

You could try Phenibut - its a bit extreme and can't really be used daily but at low doses of around 200mg it will relax you. Another idea is cyclic use of benzos or clonazapam long term as its faily safe.

Highish dose 5HTP/tryptophan

Dopamine antagonists have been shown effective. Something like 25mg quetiapine.

Tom, interesting you should mention Dopamine antagonists.. Earlier this year I was selected to be apart of a clinical trial for asenapine, a dopamine antagonists they are researching for stuttering. I ended up declining after reading some of the drug's side effects.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: stuttering, stammer, stamering, stutter

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users