• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Dr. Dean Ornish on Prostate Cancer and Telomeres

3min video prostate cancer diet telomere ornish vegan low-carb low-fat vegetarian

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 misterE

• 1,035 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:34 PM

• like x 1
  • WellResearched x 1

#2 johnross47

• 747 posts
  • Location:table 42 in the restaurant at the end of the universe

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:25 PM

Did they look at these lifestyle changes separately or was this another one of these studies that fails to control all the variables. Do we know if you need all the changes is just high veg, or low fat or exercise enough on its own?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 DR01D

• 193 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:56 PM

Great video thanks for posting! I had no idea that telomeres could get longer because of an improved lifestyle.

I have no doubt that a vegetarian diet is a significant improvement over the modern junk food diet that most people eat. It's a bonus point for sure. The only thing I'd add that is that a balanced, calorie restricted diet is probably better still. I hope they test that hypothesis someday.

#4 misterE

• Topic Starter
  • 1,035 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:48 PM

Did they look at these lifestyle changes separately or was this another one of these studies that fails to control all the variables. Do we know if you need all the changes is just high veg, or low fat or exercise enough on its own?

No. It was a combination of the three (diet, exercise, stress-management). I personally believe diet played the major role (75% or so). Research also from the Pritikin-longevity center found that prostate cancer cells could undergo apoptosis in-vitro by going on a low-fat/high-fiber complex carbohydrate diet combined with exercise. The same diet reverses atherosclerosis and type-2 diabetes.

#5 misterE

• Topic Starter
  • 1,035 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:53 PM

calorie restricted diet is probably better still.

A low-fat/high-fiber diet is a calorie-restricted diet. Fat is calorically-dense, it contains over twice the calories of carbohydrate! Fiber contains no calories at all, so eating a low-fat/high-fiber diet, effortlessly reduces the amount of calories you eat, without restricting the amount of food you eat.
  • dislike x 1
  • WellResearched x 1

#6 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 December 2013 - 11:38 PM

Research also from the Pritikin-longevity center found that prostate cancer cells could undergo apoptosis in-vitro by going on a low-fat/high-fiber complex carbohydrate diet combined with exercise.

cancer cells undergo apoptosis in-vitro by going on a diet combined with exercise. :-D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 3min video, prostate, cancer, diet, telomere, ornish, vegan, low-carb, low-fat, vegetarian

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users