Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

- - - - -

Blackberry wine/elixir

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 10 October 2005 - 09:28 PM

While browsing healthy food section in store i found some blackberry wine and blackberry elixir. They seem to be the same thing but i'm not sure. On elixir bottle it says it's rich in iron and vit c, and is a good remedy for many health problems.
I couldn't find much good info about blackberry wine/elixir on net, so if anyone has something to share about it, please do.

#2 Guest_da_sense_*

• Topic Starter
  • Lurker

Posted 10 October 2005 - 09:32 PM

I'm not a wine lover, but this wild blackberry elixir is so fine :) It has 5% alcohol, while blackberry wine has 4% (didn't try it yet)

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 lemon

• 389 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 10:33 PM

I posted quite awhile ago about blueberry wine having 25% more antioxidant capacity than your standard redwine. Blackberries have somewhat less antioxidant capacity, as measured by the ORAC test. So I'm not sure where blackberry wine falls as far as antioxidants go.

However, concentrated anthocyanidins (or some other phytochemical/flavanoid) may be at work here.

#4 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 10:35 PM

I am sure you get similar benefits from Blackberry wine/elixer as other dark fruit wines.

#5 lemon

• 389 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 10:38 PM

I found it:

While wine, particularly red wine, is touted as cardioprotective since it is a good source of antioxidant anthocyanins, a recent study found that blueberries deliver 38% more of these free radical fighters. In this study, published in the August 2003 issue of the Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry, researchers found that a moderate drink (about 4 ounces) of white wine contained .47 mmol of free radical absorbing antioxidants, red wine provided 2.04 mmol, and a wine made from highbush blueberries delivered 2.42 mmol of these protective plant compounds.(October 1, 2003)

#6 Guest_da_sense_*

• Topic Starter
  • Lurker

Posted 10 October 2005 - 11:04 PM

Good to know. But what are other benefits of it? More info source? Blackberry wireless device has all the glory on google :)

#7 Guest_da_sense_*

• Topic Starter
  • Lurker

Posted 10 October 2005 - 11:09 PM

from
http://www.wholeheal...523,142,00.html
"Interestingly, blackberries are a natural source of salicylate, an active substance found in aspirin."

#8 lemon

• 389 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 11:10 PM

Hmm... Blackberry's of the wireless kind? I'm pretty sure they're not antioxidants especially since they emit electromagnetic radiation.

[thumb]

#9 lemon

• 389 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 11:14 PM

There's a saying... and it goes, "there's nothing new under the Sun".

#10 lemon

• 389 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 11:17 PM

But you have to hand it to humankind, they're damn good at generating excess entropy to [attempt to] duplicate what already occurs naturally.

#11 Guest_da_sense_*

• Topic Starter
  • Lurker

Posted 11 October 2005 - 09:34 PM

you could put all that into one post, or you're trying to have more posts than me, eh? ;)

#12 lemon

• 389 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 11:25 PM

I have fundamental issues with the U.S. health care system.

As all the reserch states green tea is healthy in a myriad of ways, for example, I see two things occuring: The FDA making public statements that green tea is unlikely to have cancer activity and the pharmaceutical companies rushing to study the mechanism of green tea's anti-cancer activity. Japan has officially gone on record as recommending green tea consumption as a practical, everyday, way to help lower the risk of cancer.

Politics! And it frustrates the fuck out of me. How can I make changes? I write my congressmen, I practically carry around a bullhorn and scream from atop buildings.

[ang]

U.S. doctors are unschooled in nutrition. Maybe a single class in it (if that). It's not going out on a limb to recognize many Imminst member know as much and more than doctors about diet and nutrition.

I'm ranting again...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users