• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Resveratrol – back to the basics, what would happen if?

resveratrol pterostilbene

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OTBResearch

• 10 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:55 AM

Recently my paper featuring an almost bizarre idea was peer reviewed and published in the Medical Hypotheses Journal by Elsevier. I would like to take a moment and post some highlights on my research and explain in basic terms why the idea is plausible.

When a grapevine for example gets attacked from say an animal or a mechanical attack the vine starts producing various defenses. The reason they don’t simply produce these defenses nonstop is because it would require way too much energy from the plant.

Plants also respond differently based on the type of attack they are experiencing. In addition, the response time varies as well.

The plant sends these specialized chemicals to the area of the attack.

In an Article in the New Phytologist Feb 2008 H. J. De Boeck (Department of Biology, Universiteit Antwerpen) points out that the way we study plants can be a problem as you might be dealing with an “observer effect” type problem, whereas you cannot properly know what is really going on in the plant. We already know for example that Pterostilbene is normally not found in wine yet Pterostilbene is found in grapes. One must wonder what other molecules within plants we are missing out on simply because of the “observer effect” that causes its destruction, this might include simply the removal of the fruit / leaves from the plant.

Another things to consider is what the exact shoot to root relationship is within the grapevine when it comes to the plant defenses. In my paper I mention the 1942 discovery by Dawson that showed that nicotine was synthesized in the roots of the tobacco plant, Nicotiana. Prior to that many thought you can harvest the plant, and elicit the nicotine after that. Nicotine is a chemical produced by the Nicotiana plant as a defense.

Many studies have been done that show that plants respond differently to different types of animal saliva. One study showed that 3-O-glucosyl-resveratrol was significantly stimulated in V. vinifera (common grapevine) when they applied the saliva of Manduca sexta larvae.

The question is how would V. vinifera respond when human saliva is used as an elicitor, especially pre-harvest?

So what would happen if:

You walked up to a grape vine in a vineyard (with permission) and you first elicited a leaf and or grapes by biting into them and leaving them on the plant. Your saliva surely would get the plant to start producing known and possibly unknown plant defenses. This process can take some time to reach its peak, given there are no tests (with human saliva pre-harvest) we don’t know if this time is an hour, 2 hours etc. Now when that time comes, you return and consume off the very area you damaged (leaf and or berries), you make sure to consume plenty and not allow much air at all to enter your mouth. In my paper I talk about one idea of maximizing delivery via the oral mucosa.

Obviously we have been told that one needs 1000’s of bottles of wine to see any results from Resveratrol. However over the past few years that number became less and less, in addition study after study showed a very powerful effect when one combines resveratrol and pterostilbene for example.

For all we know, using the proper method of consumption is really the way to harvest all the molecules us humans need to see the real effects that are hidden within the vine.

I ask this not be shared on general health forms as I would hate to give anyone in desperate need of a cure any hope that has not had any testing. This is just an idea, and I believe all ideas should be shared and discussed and if possible tested. We have discovered more bizarre phenomenon in the universe than the idea I presented.

I am attaching my paper here so you can review the idea in detail. You will also see why many including David Sinclair did not discount the idea, even thou on the surface it seems ridiculous.

At this stage I am hoping someone from this community can suggest a way to test this or maybe even this this concept and report back. Linus Pauling Institute told me they can test this properly, however at the moment I do not have the resources to work with them. 

Attached Files

• like x 3
  • Good Point x 1

#2 Kabb

• 77 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 August 2016 - 09:16 PM

Sounds reasonable.

Not to belittle this in any way whatsoever:  when I buy a tomato at the greengrocers I know certain varieties are different to other varieties and if I am picky then I may prefer the tomato I buy to have been grown in a certain area because I expect it will be just that bit different.  Similarly with non-standardised plant-based supplements.  As I said, it sounds quite reasonable that there may be differences and for some of these differences to be highly significant.

Edited by Kabb, 08 August 2016 - 09:17 PM.

• Good Point x 1
  • like x 1

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 OTBResearch

• Topic Starter
  • 10 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 August 2016 - 05:32 AM

Sounds reasonable.

Not to belittle this in any way whatsoever:  when I buy a tomato at the greengrocers I know certain varieties are different to other varieties and if I am picky then I may prefer the tomato I buy to have been grown in a certain area because I expect it will be just that bit different.  Similarly with non-standardised plant-based supplements.  As I said, it sounds quite reasonable that there may be differences and for some of these differences to be highly significant.

You are spot on, wines made from Grapes grown in NY have shown to have higher concentrations of Resveratrol than wine made from Grapes in other locations. You can read more about the possible reason here: http://www.news.corn...ore-resveratrol   

Make sure to cook the tomatoes from time to time with olive oil and get even more of the lycopene benefits found within tomatoes. I am mentioning this as in most cases cooking fruits or vegetables reduces the value of many nutrients.   

http://www.ncbi.nlm....ubmed/15927929 

#4 Daniscience

• 44 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 August 2016 - 03:55 PM

ROFL... good point though.

I own a small, family vineyard in Spain, I might try this experiment even when my dad will tell me what the hell am I doing to the vines :D

• Cheerful x 1

#5 OTBResearch

• Topic Starter
  • 10 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 August 2016 - 02:54 AM

ROFL... good point though.

I own a small, family vineyard in Spain, I might try this experiment even when my dad will tell me what the hell am I doing to the vines :D

A while ago I communicated with a Molecular Biologist at the USDA on this topic, the communication was after my paper was published or I would have included it in there. Below is part of the email, if you have specific questions and need their contact information please private message me.

"Dear Mr. Liefer, your hypothesis is interesting.  However, I believe that you would have a hard time convincing an Institutional Review Board that it would be safe for human subjects to consume a plant directly from the vine without some type of harvesting procedure that would ensure that the plant product was not contaminated, either by pesticides or bacteria (like E. coli or Salmonella).  Normally when these types of human studies are performed, there is washing and microbiological contamination analyses performed on the plant product.  Human protection laws require that human subjects are protected as much as possible from any adverse events.  I believe you would have to provide safety information on your product before any IRB panel would consider it safe for human consumption, and IRB approval is absolutely required in order to conduct any type of study involving human subjects. "

#6 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 04:29 AM

Blackberries contain resveratrol and other phyto-chemicals. they grow wild in woods, parks and roadsides, and people eat them from the bush, or nibble by the trail.  Silly review board.

Though blackberries depend on animal consumption to spread their seeds, hey might respond differently to grazing.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 OTBResearch

• Topic Starter
  • 10 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 August 2016 - 05:09 PM

Blackberries contain resveratrol and other phyto-chemicals. they grow wild in woods, parks and roadsides, and people eat them from the bush, or nibble by the trail.  Silly review board.

Though blackberries depend on animal consumption to spread their seeds, hey might respond differently to grazing.

Indeed, my biggest concern is that we do not know how grapevines that have not been harvested will respond when they detect human saliva as the invader / pathogen. Eliciting the plant and then taking it to a lab to test might not tell the story at all, and until we realize that we might be missing out on some significant compounds the plant produces as part of its defenses.

The idea that the current method of testing might not be sufficient is not mine. H. J. De Boeck (Department of Biology, Universiteit Antwerpen) mentions this in an Article in the New Phytologist Feb 2008. Thomas Hartmann points this out in his paper From waste products to ecochemicals: Fifty years research of plant secondary metabolism. http://www.sciencedi...031942207005730

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: resveratrol, pterostilbene

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users