- - - - -

Concensus on anti-inflammatory diet?

inflammation diet histamines stools

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 不滅の

• 20 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 09:03 PM

I've suffered from a set of symptoms for a long time; ones I detail on another thread but can be summarized as GAD and panic attacks, OCPD, RLS, depressive symptoms, ticks, depersonalization, brain fog, lethargy, GI issues and various other minor problems such as chronically blocked sinuses, and chronic folliculitis. I've since made lifestyle changes to help me with this problem and help me it did, in fact the prior 3 days were the clearest I've felt my head in a long time, though my symptoms keep coming back and it seems that they are at their worst after a meal, at which point GI issues persist throughout the rest of the day (I now do intermittent fasting and eat once around 2pm). With this my aformentioned symptoms highten, I feel agitated and unable to hone my focus and I often get symptoms like hot flashes, flushing, dry itchy eyes, elevated heart-rate, nausia and soft acidic stools. I'm putting the blame on inflammation.

#2 HaplogroupW

• 101 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 March 2017 - 06:16 AM

No one else has replied, so here are a few ideas. Even if they are not good, maybe they will provoke someone else to reply.

I don't know the consensus. I'm given to understand high-glycemic-index carbs are pro-inflammatory. Perhaps try going low-carb high-fat? There are many OTC and supplement anti-inflammatories. Perhaps start cycling through those and see if any helps.

I think you may be on the right track with intermittent fasting. If you are inclined, my suggestion (which may be worthless) is try an extended fast. My experience has been that by day 4, you feel really good. But in my case, I exercise (20 mile bike ride typically) most days while doing an extended fast, which might be an important part of it. I guess it isn't very helpful if the symptoms just come back upon the first meal.

If you want some motivation and good analysis from an MD regarding fasting, I'd look up Jason Fung. His blog is at intensivedietarymanagement.com, and he has youtube videos where he mows down the literature on fasting, its benefits and the problem with most modern obesogenic diet.

Or maybe there's something in particular in your one meal that you are particularly averse too? Have you tried eliminating things one at a time to see if one food in particular is a trigger for those symptoms?

Some of your symptoms are psychological, so perhaps psychotherapy could help.

Edit: BTW for my inflammation problem (GERD/esophagitis) I have long ago found that eating some red cabbage helped. I've since learned that it's a good source of sulphorafane which is antiflammatory. I eat some every day (even when fasting, so I guess it's not a true fast). Perhaps you could find anti-inflammatory food that works for you.

Edited by Postprandial, 27 March 2017 - 06:21 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Peter14

• 12 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 02:16 PM

No one else has replied, so here are a few ideas. Even if they are not good, maybe they will provoke someone else to reply.

I don't know the consensus. I'm given to understand high-glycemic-index carbs are pro-inflammatory. Perhaps try going low-carb high-fat? There are many OTC and supplement anti-inflammatories. Perhaps start cycling through those and see if any helps.

I think you may be on the right track with intermittent fasting. If you are inclined, my suggestion (which may be worthless) is try an extended fast. My experience has been that by day 4, you feel really good. But in my case, I exercise (20 mile bike ride typically) most days while doing an extended fast, which might be an important part of it. I guess it isn't very helpful if the symptoms just come back upon the first meal.

If you want some motivation and good analysis from an MD regarding fasting, I'd look up Jason Fung. His blog is at intensivedietarymanagement.com, and he has youtube videos where he mows down the literature on fasting, its benefits and the problem with most modern obesogenic diet.

Or maybe there's something in particular in your one meal that you are particularly averse too? Have you tried eliminating things one at a time to see if one food in particular is a trigger for those symptoms?

Some of your symptoms are psychological, so perhaps psychotherapy could help.

Edit: BTW for my inflammation problem (GERD/esophagitis) I have long ago found that eating some red cabbage helped. I've since learned that it's a good source of sulphorafane which is antiflammatory. I eat some every day (even when fasting, so I guess it's not a true fast). Perhaps you could find anti-inflammatory food that works for you.

#4 Peter14

• 12 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 02:18 PM

Interesting, about GERD.  Do you eat raw red cabbage, boiled/steamed or the jarred picked variety? 

#5 HaplogroupW

• 101 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 March 2017 - 05:51 PM

Raw

#6 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 03:24 AM

I want some SourKraut. 

#7 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:20 AM

Basically it's all about Gut Bacteria. Promoting the good kind and not the bad kind. 

Fermented Vegetables and low sugar foods are one of the best ways of doing so. 

Sticking to Neutral Fats and Omega 3's in moderation is also a contributing factor. 

Drinking nothing but water and other clean beverages with no added sugars or preservatives is also a extremely important aspect of this. 

In terms of dairy, my rule from now on is to consume the kind that confers a benefit to my stomach and that is that. 

That means Kefir, Greek Yogurt and maybe sometimes a little raw cheese. And staying away from the rest of it.

In terms of meat, I am sticking mostly to what works best, Fish, Chicken and turkey. Once or twice a month I eat a little lean beef.

I don't know, did I miss anything?

#8 HaplogroupW

• 101 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 April 2017 - 06:56 AM

This looks like a good review with references to the literature:

TLDR: for low inflamation: Gamma tocopherol (while restricting alpha tocopherol), fish (fish oil), moderate alcohol, restrict carbs (in order to lower insulin) and elevated beta hydroxy butyrate (ketone) levels from a ketogenic diet.

Since I posted on this thread earlier, I've switched to a ketogenic diet (along with IF and extended fasting), and I'm a fan.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: inflammation, diet, histamines, stools

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users