- - - - -

Supplements for Aspergers? +An experience I had

aspergers

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 basicallyyes

• 36 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:18 PM

I'm not good at creating short posts but I'll do my best to explain my situation in the shortest amount of words also while explaining an experience that happened to me which has led me here

I was diagnosed with Aspergers at a young age, I won't go into the details so as not to derail myself into a separate conversation but my parents did not agree with the diagnosis and took me to other doctors with mixed diagnosis. I think because I was considered to be on a higher functioning end of Aspergers the entire situation was swept under the rug, I suspect possibly due to egotistical influences on my parents part from not wanting to have a child with Aspergers. 

Because of my young age the entire question of whether or not I had Aspergers (or even what it was) was ignored by me for years, it wasn't until I was in my Jr or Senior year in high school that I started questioning things. I actually came to my own conclusion that I may have something "wrong" with me, and when I brought it up to my parents this is when they mentioned that I was at one time diagnosed with Aspergers. To me this was too much of a coincidence, I had completely forgotten that this diagnosis had even occurred yet came to the same general conclusion on my own several years later.

I want to make it a point to explain that for me, Aspergers is very misunderstood. People mostly understand this by characters they have seen portrayed in television shows. I do not stand out in a glaring way that I have something wrong with me, and unless you are educated in this area you probably wouldn't notice anything particularly "wrong" with me; I drew these conclusions because of an experience I had where I literally felt like a different human for several days in a row. 

I was on vacation on a cruise ship where we had multiple food options every day. I spent much of the day not eating anything because I didn't like the food, but at night when I became hungry I ate things that "looked interesting" , to try new things. Many of these were seafood types of foods. Many of them had spices and unique herbs on them. I ate these in large amounts each night, it made me feel light but sated, I enjoyed it more than the typical helping of large carbohydrates I was used to. This particular cruise had a smoothie bar, and while not free I visited this at least a couple of times a day. They mixed green drinks that had vegetables and fruits as well as some other ingredients I imagine. I didn't select these based on the ingredients, I selected them more on the name. For instance, I like strawberry so if it had strawberry in the name then I chose it, although it had multiple ingredients in it.

Fast forward: By the 5th and last day of the cruise I started feeling really different. I had a calmness over me that I never had before. I felt like stepping lightly wherever I went, I didn't want to make noise when I moved. Not because I was worried the noise would disturb someone, but just because "it felt right". For the first time in my life I understood the attractiveness of meditation. I actually felt like sitting and just being quiet with my thoughts. I didn't really think anything strange of this at the time, I just enjoyed it. I watched things and felt like I was looking at them completely different than I ever had before, like I understood clearly what I was seeing/observing. I won't go into many more of the other effects I felt so as to keep this from getting too long.

After I got home I remember feeling especially  good. I told my parents about this and they explained that's what vacations are for, although I couldn't help but think that they didn't understand how good I felt. The next morning after I got home I woke up and felt an unusual buzz in the morning. It's hard to describe, it was like there was an energy about the room that I hadn't felt before. It was like I was actually realizing for the first time that I was alive, I don't know if that makes sense. Again, for some reason I didn't make much of it, I just noticed it and continued about my morning. As the day continued on I felt unusually happy and ambitious, and most of all I realized I could think more clearly. I say "more" because to me it was more, but I started wondering if this was just how normal people are all of the time. I didn't have trouble remembering things, in fact memories were jumping out at me, especially when I smelled things. It was like the smell or sensation triggered memories that pinballed into euphoric emotions/nostalgia.  I had always had difficulty reading and understanding things but on these days it felt easy, things just made sense. I remember looking outside at the grass and the bushes and it looked really good...the outdoors, I wanted to be a part of it. I actually wanted to go outside just to be outside.

These feelings came and went back and forth over the next 3-4 days. I told my parents about it and they said they could notice a difference too, and that maybe it was all the sun I had while on the cruise. I immediately started getting a lot of sun, whenever I could, I wanted to enhance what I had, but I was actually losing it. I could literally feel it dwindling. By the 5th day (if I remember correctly) I had no buzzing feeling it was all gone. I spent that day thinking about what I had and how it felt and this is when I brought up the conversation about aspergers. I realized that when I felt like this that I finally understood more of why people acted the way they did, I could see clearly how different and "off" I was with my thinking, personality, energy, mood etc.

I started thinking it was the seafood and ate a bunch of seafood, I also went to smoothie establishments and drinking green drinks. I have bought my own, made my own, mixed them and drank large amounts trying to get back what I had. The more I read on the internet it seems the further away I get from an answer because of all the mixed information. I am trying to understand what nutrient, supplement, etc I consumed that (I believe) filled a missing gap that I have biologically. I have read threads from people claiming to have some success with Aspergers but can't get any real information from them. I have had success with some herbs where I felt like I was putting it into remission and then it fails, it's like my body learns to reject it.

I am sending this message hoping that someone has some information, or clues as to what supplements might help me get back what I had. I want to iterate that I do not believe I felt like an enhanced human, I felt like a "normal" human; I am judging this by my behavior compared to people around me, we were aligned, we were similar.

Sorry for the long post, I left many things out to try and keep it practical.

Edited by basicallyyes, 16 August 2017 - 05:33 PM.

#2 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 August 2017 - 07:48 PM

Sun (and seafood) = vitamin D3

Sea (and seafood) = iodine

Seafood = long chain omega 3

Low carbs diet should be good for Asperger, especially avoiding gluten.

I doubt the smoothies played a role but everything is possible.

You might try to avoid all gluten carbs like bread, pasta, etc...

Try to get carbs from rice, potatoes, carrots and pumpkins but in great moderation and maybe not even everyday (maybe once every other day or 5 days off/2 days on)

Don't starve yourself, low carbs means more of all the other food, not just skipping carbs..

Focus more on seafood than on meat or chicken.

Eat your veggies and indulge on them, all kinds, especially raw ones..

Consider eggs.

Extra virgin olive oil.

Nuts, especially walnuts (in moderation, 8 a day are plenty).

Avoid any junk food, sodas and processed food in general.

Consider supplementing vitamin D3 with K2, iodine (as Iodoral or Lugol's or SSKI or potassium iodide) and a GOOD fish oil (they don't come all the same).

I might suggest trying supplement PEA (Palmitoylethanolamide) and/or luteolin with quercitin.

About PEA and fish oil I can suggest the best brands available if you wish. 

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1
  • Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 August 2017 - 09:07 PM

What Aconita says above is good and it sounds like seafood works well, this is likely due to the anti-inflammatory nature of omega 3's and effects on IL-6 and TNF-a. Definitely take viva labs fish or krill oil if you're in the U.S. Other things like curcumin and D3 help as he says. Rhonda Patrick's smoothie #2 on YouTube (search that) is a good source for leteolin and other things.

I would also add that you should be using the sauna at least 20 mins, 4 days a week to boost BDNF levels.

I am mildly on the spectrum but have overcome a lot of my troubles with improv classes and continued improv workshops and performances with teams, social or group therapy and constantly exposing myself to social situations as much as possible.

Another controversial suggestion that has really, really worked well for me and I emphasize that this works only in ideal conditions so don't force it, just have it ready for when the time comes, put the idea out there with friends:

Because this is somewhat related to oxytocin associated polymorphisms in genes I also would highly recommend a few experiences with MDMA (aka molly) but with some precautions.

1. Don't take it more often than once every couple of months.
  2. Only take 150-175mg depending on your size.
  3. Only do this with trusted friends you care about and who care for you. People who share with you and you already share everything with. Ideally everyone with you is doing this.
  4. This is important: Take plenty of 5-HTP before and 4 times a day for a few days after the experience in addition to L-Tyrosine. Also, drink plenty of water. 3mg melatonin before bed on the nights after may also help. You don't want the down side of MDMA, just the upside. This is possible to do.
  5. Go out to a club or event that involves fun participatory stuff, like local burns or something. Or find a party where this is accepted and likely being done by others. Just make sure it is a highly social situation and remember the molly etiquette to ask before touching.

Next, you may try learning some techniques you can use, relationship wise, to sort of fake it till you make it. Learning to use I feel (insert emotion here (sad, happy, afraid, mad)) statements, you will learn this in both improv and in books like Parent Effectiveness Training, which weirdly is a good book on relationships despite not having kids. There are no better books than that on this technique unfortunately. I realize that figuring out how you feel is not easy, but think of it as a skill that is simply undeveloped. For example, nobody is just "bad at math", they just haven't bothered or more importantly felt interested in developing or practicing math skills. So in the end, some of us just need both more practice and more opportunity to practice these social skills. So keep putting yourself in there and consider any failure or mistakes (you WILL make mistakes) as being just a means of getting to success. Learn from mistakes and remember that real friends are very very forgiving and will forget. It's a long growth process, not a fail or succeed all or none thing. You sound younger than me, I didn't really start trying these things until I turned 38 believe it or not. It's never too late.

Despite all this I'm still a wee bit on the spectrum and that's ok. I'm different. People will have to love and accept that and so will I. There's only so much you can do about it and if people are that impatient or lack that much will to meet you halfway, they aren't worth being friends with. Plus it has some really good intellectual advantages if you're willing to look for them.

Edited by Nate-2004, 16 August 2017 - 09:17 PM.

#4 Jiminy Glick

• 235 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 11:40 PM

Sun (and seafood) = vitamin D3

Sea (and seafood) = iodine

Seafood = long chain omega 3

Low carbs diet should be good for Asperger, especially avoiding gluten.

I doubt the smoothies played a role but everything is possible.

You might try to avoid all gluten carbs like bread, pasta, etc...

Try to get carbs from rice, potatoes, carrots and pumpkins but in great moderation and maybe not even everyday (maybe once every other day or 5 days off/2 days on)

Don't starve yourself, low carbs means more of all the other food, not just skipping carbs..

Focus more on seafood than on meat or chicken.

Eat your veggies and indulge on them, all kinds, especially raw ones..

Consider eggs.

Extra virgin olive oil.

Nuts, especially walnuts (in moderation, 8 a day are plenty).

Avoid any junk food, sodas and processed food in general.

Consider supplementing vitamin D3 with K2, iodine (as Iodoral or Lugol's or SSKI or potassium iodide) and a GOOD fish oil (they don't come all the same).

I might suggest trying supplement PEA (Palmitoylethanolamide) and/or luteolin with quercitin.

About PEA and fish oil I can suggest the best brands available if you wish.

So basically if you have aspergers move near a beach?

Edited by Jiminy Glick, 16 August 2017 - 11:40 PM.

• Cheerful x 1

#5 Junk Master

• 1,032 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 03:49 PM

I've seen quite a bit of promising information on sulforaphane for young men on the Autistic spectrum.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/27071786

I have a son on the high functioning end of the spectrum and believe I would have either have been diagnosed as such, or as having "Autistic traits."

Still so much to learn about the Autistic Spectrum it can really be summed up by, "Meet one person on the spectrum and you've met one person on the spectrum."

Broccoli seeds are very high in sulforaphane and you can either sprout them yourself, or just grind the seeds in smoothies.

I make salads including sliced, raw brussel sprouts, also very high in sulforaphane.

Do I notice any drastic behavioral differences?  No, but sliced, raw brussel sprouts sure make you feel healthier.  

• Good Point x 1

#6 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 August 2017 - 04:55 PM

I forgot about sulforaphane, definitely use that. High on the list. BroccoMax specifically has the necessary myrosinase.

#7 Reich

• 12 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:03 AM

Hello basicalyes, 

I read your post and I think I know what happened. In the drink or food you have eaten, there was a chinese parsley called Cilantro. Cilantro has the property to MOBILIZE the mercury and other heavy metals from the brain and nervous system. BUT, then it gets mobilized, it can come out of the brain, but it can also come out of any other part of the body and enter the brain. Mobilization is very dangerous for toxic people. You had a luck, that in your case the mobilization took the right path and the mercury (or other toxic stuff) released from your brain and nervous system, and it got unblocked! You felt this calmness. 

I know what you mean, because I had similar experience. BUT do not try to repeat this experiment. Since it is a luck, that in those days the toxic stuff came out of the right place and you felt good. It could be also the opposite and the toxic stuff could enter some sensitive places of the brain. So it is just a coincidence. 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 QuestforLife

• NO

Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:37 AM

This experience is very similar to spiritual experiences as reported by various seekers - they are very ephemeral and hard to pin down unfortunately. Don't underestimate the stress relieving effect of a good holiday. I would recommend a meditation practice to try and build this into your lifestyle. I would not expect a single supplement or even a stack to be able to reliably repeat your experience.

Having said all that I have a son on the austistic spectrum, and I've had small but noticeable results on improving his behavior using a Vit D + K2 droplet per day (approx. 5k-10k IU pf Vit D).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aspergers

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users