- - - - -

Stem cells banking

stem cells

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 elfanjo

• 73 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 12:25 PM

I don't know of any cryonics company offering stem cells banking. Yet that would be a great way for them to make money right now and a "natural" extension of their activity.
These stem cells could be used to repair the damages of cryopreservation.

I for one would be intetested.

Anyone knows the reasons for not offering such a service ? (Besides the regulatory hurdles)

Companies like forever labs are offering this service but are very expensive.
Do you know more affordable companies in the US / Canada ?
  • like x 1

#2 YOLF

Posted 19 August 2017 - 12:28 AM

I don't think the technologies used at Alcor of CI would work with stem cell banking... For one, every cryonicist should have a record of their genotype on file with their provider as they share the dewar or cryotube with several other patients and we wouldn't want to accidentally build them a body from someone else's cells. Stem cell banking is done with different technology and different temperatures. 

I suppose it would be possible to provide these services, and I think the existing technologies are run by people who are cryonicists, but you're right, it would be nice if it was for the benefit of the cryonics organizations and their reanimation research. 

#3 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,212 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 04:38 PM

KrioRus have the idea, that everythhing you can must be saved. They may be offering stem cells storage, but you have to ask them.

#4 VanWinkle

• 8 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:13 PM

My husband and I both have our adipose derived stem cells banked with Celltex at their lab and cryobank in Houston. http://celltexbank.com/

$6500 covers mini-liposuction by a plastic surgeon near you, many lab tests and DNA analysis of your cells, mesenchymal stem cell (MSCisolation.

Oh, and you can also get treated with an IV dose of your lab expanded stem cells. Once banked, you never need to extract again. 

Dr. Stan Jones started this by going to S. Korea for the treatment, for his disabling RA. He recovered, and brought the technology to the U.S.

Celltex has treated provided expanded MSCs to physicians to treat over 1,000 patients since 2012.

We were able to get treated in Houston in 2012, then the FDA said expanded stem cells constitute a drug. So Celltex found a great hospital  in Cancun.

Cells are still banked in Houston, they just have to FedEx them to Cancun for treatment.

But then the Texas legislature passed Charlie's Law in 2017, so sometime in 2018 we'll be able to get treated in Texas again.

https://patientsfors...7-action-alert/

In 2013 my husband did IV treatment for rheumatoid arthritis, gout, as well as a joint injection for an old hip injury. He could barley lift his leg, and it was very painful.
Here is a video of him showing the good results, this was 2015, 3 years after treatment, and he's still doing fine today   
https://vimeo.com/111134044

I've had MS since 1995, by 2012 headed towards nursing home from paralysis. The stem cells in May 2012 started my recovery. Had 3 more treatments,  MS has been in remission since 2014.
I'm still in  a wheelchair but I feel great, can exercise 60 minutes everyday, and now can use the the walker up to 100 ft. Of 28 MS symptoms I had in 2012, 15 are completely resolved, 11 greatly improved, 2 unchanged. Since the last treatment effect hasn't faded. Because I can exercise again, and keep making small improvements,  I think I'll be able to walk again.
The first treatment I had in 2012 was 3 IVs 1 week apart of 200 million Mescenchymal Stem Cells (MSCs). This is the protocol for autoimmune disease. 
A transient fever is the only side effect reported by any of the Celltex patients I know, but I never got this.

I chose the Celltex treatment because it was the closest thing I could find to what University clinical trials (Cleveland Clinic, Mayo Clinic, Hadassah) were doing with expanded stem cells. For MS, ALS and Parkinson's, a total of 37 trials totaling 427 subjects were found in the National Library of Medicine, consistently concluding the treatment was safe, with virtually no adverse events reported, other than transient fever or injection site redness. Stage of trials were phase 1 or 2, with the majority reporting signs of efficacy. 

There are many clinics in the U.S. that do "same-day" stem cells, they take 8 oz of fat via liposuction (Celltex only needs 2 oz, one time), centrifuge the cells, then give them back via IV. But you only get about 10 million MSCs  this way.  and the charge is around $16,000 for 10 million MSCs per IV. Patients get some relief for a few months, but it doesn't last because the dose is too low. And if you need another dose, they have to repeat the 8 oz liposuction.

Celltex charges $13,000 for for 200 million MSCs per IV, or $33,000 for the 600 million million MSC for autoimmune disease. Joint injections start at $3,500 for knees, hips, discs etc.

News story on astounding recovery of two young Celltex patients who were terminal with Systemic Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis, now healthy. This shows the Celltex lab and also features Dr. Jones talking about his RA.

Disclosure: I receive no compensation from Celltex in cash or kind. I became an advocate for this therapy after the amazing recoveries we had. I testified at the Sept 2016 FDA draft guidance hearing, and helped get accelerated stem cell therapies included in the 21st Century Cures Act.

Anyone interested in anti-aging or an effective treatment for the multitude of diseases and injuries that can be treated by stem cells should consider advocating for this therapy as well. The next big hurdle is getting a sufficient level of proof so that insurance coverage can begin.

Edited by VanWinkle, 23 November 2017 - 09:18 PM.

#5 elfanjo

• Topic Starter
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 08:22 PM

This is exactly why I want to bank SCs. Could be usefull for old age, life extension, thawing cryopreserved patients, general health even.
We need to get ppl on board I agree, get the economy of scale going..

#6 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,212 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 06:04 PM

This is exactly why I want to bank SCs. Could be usefull for old age, life extension, thawing cryopreserved patients, general health even.

How are they being used for thawing cryopreserved patients?

#7 elfanjo

• Topic Starter
  • 73 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 05:11 PM

How are they being used for thawing cryopreserved patients?

Repairing damages, making brand new organs that didn't make it ...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: stem cells

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users