Interview With Aubrey de Grey

aubrey de grey sens foundation undoing aging podcast sens

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 02:08 PM

Coming up this Monday on the LongeCity Now podcast, Chief Science Officer of the SENS foundation, Aubrey de Grey.

SENS-based therapy development has had a good year with a handful of bio-tech start-ups showing proof of concept, and even getting ready for Phase 1 trials (Ichor).

Interesting news recently is that Aubrey has accpeted a position at Biotime (BTX).

Please submit any questions for Aubrey ahead of time here in this forum. Best questions would be those other than "what is the timeline on rejuvenation therapies?" or "why don't people fund SENS to a larger degree?". Those are great questions, but are asked all the time, and we basically know the answers. Technical questions about SENS research would be great. 

Attached Files

Edited by Mind, 11 December 2017 - 07:36 PM.

• like x 3
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#2 Caravaggio

• 75 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 December 2017 - 12:07 PM

What do you think of the connection between Genesis 6:3 and the Hayflick limit as described here:

http://www.thejesusa...120-year-limit/

I'm not really religious but I find this connection very interesting.

#3 Pizzarulzz

• 26 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 December 2017 - 03:13 PM

Carvaggio
i know what would be answer for this
Aubrey: its not my experitise I am just against aging and I am working on it
Btw you can check same discussion on josh mitteldrof website in his second post.

#4 Pizzarulzz

• 26 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 December 2017 - 03:22 PM

I would ask
Do you value self experimentation , how do you see people risking their lives ad they see a new substance increase lifespan of flies or worms.what is your opinion on this
2. You recently mentioned on reddit we have potentional glycation breaker enzymes, what are those can you tell anything about it.
3 . If tomorrow you get one chance to experiment on any human what therepy you would try?
  • Agree x 1

#5 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:47 PM

My bad. I should have updated this thread yesterday. That is when the interview took place. I apologize.

It was a good update on the status of SENS research, advocacy, and funding. Podcast should be available later this week.

#6 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 08:29 PM

File Name: LongeCityNow_Aubrey_de_Grey_2017.mp3

File Submitter: Mind

File Submitted: 14 Dec 2017

File Category: Podcasts

Guest: Aubrey de Grey

An interview about the most recent progress at the SENS foundation. 2017 was a great year for rejuvenation science and funding.

Click here to download this file

• like x 1

#7 ambivalent

• 744 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 February 2018 - 07:08 PM

On funding:

I'm sure all of us in the community regard the lack of funding in aging as collective irrationality from a population that by and large simply doesn't grasp the magnitude of self-interest there is ensuring SENS is adequately funded.  At some point that will change and while it is hard to say with certainty who will be the principle players in 5 or 10 years, SENS could well be at the forefront of development. It's not hard to imagine that when world catches up, which it will, then SENS will be over-funded.  So how do we move funds from our over supplied future to our underfunded present?

Well, suppose SENS were to issue bonds or receive loans which would under certain future conditions be repaid. Let's say I lend SENS $5,000 and the promise to repay this money when donations reach $50,000,000 a year or reserves reached some specific level. In addition interest linked to donation size could be offered as well in order to balance risk.     

Another approach might be for Aubrey de Grey and SENS to promise to try and raise funds retrospectively to pay off the loans in a future society grateful for the extraordinary work of SENS and the anti-aging visionaries . If there is one guy you'd bet on to campaign to get your money back it would be AdB. (There should at least be the Nobel prize money! ;-))

Even for those of us who have long subscribed to the belief in SENS it is still a struggle to forgo considerable personal utility for some rather imperceivable greater good - donating 5k will very likely be of much lower utility to me than keeping it - the benefit of my donation won't be felt or realised even if it turns out to be crucial. However, with loaned or invested money the utility gap is reduced - I have the benefit of knowing the money will be going to active use for a vital purpose but also a hopeful realisation than a future grateful and a shared-vision society, will compensate for my investment in both their and my well-being.  

In addition, I imagine that we feel less concern about a large charitable donation after the fact than we do a priori, in fact we might just feel good. So any reasonable device to encourages us to overcome these barriers should be sought - even if the promise of a possible refund might encourage me to donate, I might not just care about the incentive once I've donated. That is not to encourage deception, of course, but rather an acknowledgement there is more self-interest in donating to charity than is often perceived

Edited by ambivalent, 07 February 2018 - 07:53 PM.

#8 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 10:30 PM

The feeling that I got from the latest interview with Aubrey, is that SENS would like to stay in the theoretical/proof-of-concept space of rejuvenation tech. Once they have the proof-of-concept phase completed, they would like to spin out/license the process into public companies, where most of the money will be made. Their agreements for licensing are not intended to bring boat-loads of money back into SENS, but rather to help the for-profit companies succeed.

• Informative x 1

#9 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 06:47 PM

Now live on the podcast page is a fresh interview with Aubrey de Grey for 2019.

In it, you will hear his thoughts about the Undoing Aging conference, the state of funding in rejuvenation research, thoughts about the next steps in implementing therapies, the future of the SENS foundation, and Aubrey's personal regimen.

Attached Files

• like x 2
  • Cheerful x 1

#10 onz

• 117 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 09:26 AM

A man who needs no introduction on these forums, it's the end of the year and we'll be speaking with Aubrey about what's in store for the future and to get an update on his projects and ambitions.

Always one to provide an interesting and encouraging perspective on things, if you have any questions for Aubrey post them in the comments below! The interview will take place this Friday 4th Dec.

Chief Science Officer of the SENS Research Foundation

VP of New Technology Discovery at AgeX Therapeutics, Inc.

Wikipedia Profile

Attached File  Aubrey-David-Nicholas-Jasper-de-Grey_0.jpg   110.97KB   1 downloads

Edited by onz, 01 December 2020 - 09:28 AM.

#11 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 02:58 PM

The interview with Aubrey is now available:

In this podcast you will hear Aubrey highlight a surprising need in the rejuvenation research industry,

Edited by caliban, 17 December 2020 - 10:18 PM.
link

• like x 2
  • Informative x 1

#12 LongLiveTheNewFlesh

• 81 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 06:19 AM

Hello Mind, sir,

This is something I definitely would love to hear , but I see no link. Can uou perhaps email or e-message it to me. I can’t wait to hear it.

Best

Edited by LongLiveTheNewFlesh, 17 February 2021 - 06:20 AM.

#13 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 04:07 PM

Here is the link. https://www.longecit...brey_degrey.mp3

Here is the page with all the interviews: https://www.longecity.org/podcast/

Edited by Mind, 17 February 2021 - 04:08 PM.

#14 LongLiveTheNewFlesh

• 81 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 12:12 AM

Oh man awesome! Thanks sooooo much Mind! I have heard him speak before many times and read interviews of his, but I like to keep updated on the SENS Research Foundation, what the latest research is, anything new and so forth. So, yeah , I appreciate it so much. If you need to delete the links for any reason you can now , I made copies of the them for myself just in case they disappear or something, heh.

I am also gong to listen to these other people as well, of course.

Best,
LLTNF

Edited by LongLiveTheNewFlesh, 18 February 2021 - 12:14 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aubrey de grey, sens foundation, undoing aging, podcast, sens

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users