Resveratrol for Dogs?

anti ageing approaches for dogs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rosanna

• 159 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 February 2018 - 01:28 AM

My jack russell has developed cataracts and got pancreatitis 6 months ago.  Since then he's a little 'off' to me, still loves his walks, but sleeps after them.....seems to have a bit of back ache at times...

I'm seeing the first signs of ageing.  He was always a puppy to me up to a year ago.  He is 12 and has the nicest character and really intelligent, unusual empathy for humans, more than I've seen in any other dog I've owned.

So, wondering if I can do anything to make the next few years good for him....Does anyone treat their dogs with resveratrol or other anti ageing approaches?

#2 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 11:19 AM

I don't know about resveratrol, but you might consider rapamycin either by enrolling him in Matt Kaeberlein's Dog Aging Project, or obtaining rapamycin just on your own (since Jack Russells may not weigh enough to qualify...). Or talk to the researchers involved. Even if they can't enroll your him, they may have ideas about how to hypothetically obtain safe(!) rapamycin, and hypothetical rapa dosage frequencies for a 14-pounder.

http://dogagingproje...-2-application/

"The phase 2 rapamycin intervention study is planned to be a long-term study to evaluate the benefits of rapamycin on healthy aging in pet dogs. This study is intended to last 3-5 years and will hopefully begin enrollment during 2016, pending funding.

"At this time, there are no restrictions on geographic location. We expect this study to include dogs from around the United States and, perhaps, the rest of the world. There are no restrictions on breed of dog for the phase 2 study. Dogs must be at least 6 years old, 40 pounds in weight minimum and in good health, without significant pre-existing conditions..."

Also see this, which seens encouraging not only for doggy him, but also perhaps for the rest of us, too: https://link.springe...1357-017-9972-z

And to access that study bypassing the publishers fees, try this: http://sci-hub.tv

Edited by sthira, 03 February 2018 - 11:29 AM.

• Informative x 2

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 12:27 PM

Edit

Edited by sthira, 03 February 2018 - 12:28 PM.

#4 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 February 2018 - 05:16 PM

Sorry to hear about your dog. There have been some discussions about pets and Nicotinamide Riboside. Oakman has used various supplement routines with their cats which has included Curcumin for at least one of their cats, in addition to what is mentioned below in the quote. I will guess that some might work for dogs. Did your veterinarian have you change your Jack Russell's diet due to Pancreatitis? It can be hard to tell in a small dog sometimes, but are they overweight?

Niki, Oakman's cat:

"UPDATE: Niki is doing REALLY well!

It's been about two months since I 1st posted Niki's story and what Niagen (and her joint supplement) had seemingly been doing for her. In June, she had regained a good amount of strength and vitality, but still had a significant, obvious limp on her front leg. I had been giving a calculated 25-30 mg of NR (that is, not including filler) daily. I decided to cut her dose to once every 2nd or 3rd day in mid July due to a mild nervous tick she began exhibiting, and I changed her joint supplement to something with more ingredients I thought would help her condition. She gets (1/4 dose) of this only on a day NR is not given, but again on an every 2nd or 3rd day basis.

Due to the heat here (steady 90-100 degrees) we decided to get her a shot at the vet 1st week of August, as she had begun to scratch a bit in one spot. It was not bad like before, but I think the hot weather was getting to her. In total it had been 6 months since her last shot, rather than the 4-6 weeks before. Hopefully, she should be good to go for the rest of the summer, and hopefully 6 months or longer... Time will tell.

In describing to the vet what I had been doing for her, he was not able to either confirm or deny the effects of the supplementation, but he said there was no dispute that something major had changed in her condition. But I wanted to tell her story (to the vet and here on the forum) as I think it offers some insight about the effects of NR may be in animals. As a cat is completely oblivious to what is being given to them, the results are real, unbiased, but of course anecdotal. The vet said no study of this NR effect would ever happen as it's not worth it to invest in a study like that on felines, unfortunately.

But the best news for Niki (and me) is that this new dosing and supplement combo has produced pretty dramatic results. That is, her limp is now unnoticeable, her appetite is so strong that we are now restricting her diet to keep her from gaining too much weight (now 9lbs, up from 8lbs), and her mood and activity level have remained better than before. The supplement combo, now using much reduced amounts, seems to be working even better.  I think I may have successfully stuffed another couple lives into her regularly allotted nine!

http://www.longecity...iki-and-niagen/

A thread about N.R. with a side track discussing the possible use of N.R. in a dog. I do not know what they did.

http://www.longecity...es-again/page-9

Edited by Heisok, 03 February 2018 - 05:22 PM.

• Informative x 1

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 Rosanna

• Topic Starter
  • 159 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 February 2018 - 12:34 AM

Just working my way through this, thanks Sthira first of all for the information re the rapamycin in dogs research.

Heisok, thanks for that info, it's late here so I will read it tomorrow now, (I'm very curious re NR and curcumin) but just to say my dog is not overweight...was naturally slim, but since being put on the special low fat diet, I'd say he looks slightly thicker around the middle (not enough to worry us, but not 'slinky' like he always was).  We think it's because we are now feeding him by hand.  Since he got the low fat food he won't eat unless we feed him.  I think something about it just doesn't work his taste buds, or whatever processes motivate a dog to eat.  In the end he gets hungry and 'asks' us to feed him!  All very different behaviour to what he was pre-pancreatitis, not too long ago!  He gets a lot of acid reflux since he was poorly, and so we are often giving him bits of kibble to take down the acid....and the vet advised feeding him at 11pm, a small meal, because he lives with mum who doesn't get up until midday!  So the vet doesn't want him to go too long without food on account of the acid reflux...................so, long story short, all this might have made him a little fatter around the middle, but it's slight and he's not an overweight dog.

(I'm learning just how pedantic I am!  lol)

Edited by Rosanna, 10 February 2018 - 12:43 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users