To go ad-free join as a Member.
LongeCity Small Grants
With the support of our Members and advertisers LongeCity is able to offer a limited number of small grants and financial prizes.
The following types of projects can be supported:
• Science support: contribution to a scientific experiment that can be carried out in a short period of time with limited resources. The experiment should be distinguishable from the research that is already funded by other sources. This could be a side-experiment in an existing programme, a pilot experiment to establish feasibility, or resources for an undergrad or high-school student.
• Chapters support: organising a local meeting with other LongeCity members or potential members. LongeCity could contribute to the room hire, the expenses of inviting a guest speaker or even the bar tab.
• Travel support: attendance at conferences, science fairs etc where you are presenting on a topic relevant to LongeCity. Generally this will involve some promotion of the mission and/or a report on the then conference to be shared with our Members
• Grant writing: Bring together a team of scientists and help them write a successful grant application to a public or private funding body. Depending on the project, the award will be a success premium or sometimes can cover the costs of grant preparation itself.
• Micro matching fundraiser: If you manage to raise funds on a mission-relevant topic, LongeCity will match the funds raised. (In order to initiate one of these initiatives we usually also require that the fundraiser spends at least 500 ‘ThankYou points’ but this requirement can be waived in specific circumstances.)
• Outreach: Support for a specific initiative raising public awareness of the mission or of a topic relevant to our mission. This could be a local event, a specific, organised direct marketing initiative or a media feature.
• Articles: Write a featured article for the LongeCity website on a topic of interest to our members or visitors. We are mainly looking for articles on scientific topics, but well-researched contributions on a relevant topic in policy, law, or philosophy are also welcome.
Grant Size: this scheme includes
'micro grants' - up to $180
'small grants' - up to $500
Grant applications exceeding $500 can be received, but will not be evaluated conclusively under the small grants scheme. Instead, we we will review the application as draft and may invite a full application subsequently.
Decisions as part of the small grants programme are usually pretty quick and straightforward. However please contact us with a proposal ahead of time - we will not normally consider applications where the expenditure has already been incurred!
Proposals can be as short or elaborate as necessary, but normally should be about half a page long.
Only LongeCity Members can apply, but any Member is free to apply on behalf of someone else - thus, non-Members are welcome to find a Member to 'sponsor' their application.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your proposal.
You can also use the ideas forum to prepare the proposal.For general questions, or to discuss the proposal informally, feel free to contact us at the above email or get in touch with Mind.