• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Green Tea (GT) improves Dopamine metabolism.

dopamine reward learning

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Ruth

• 114 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 02:34 AM

"Effect of green tea on reward learning in healthy individuals: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot study"

Background

Both clinical and preclinical studies revealed that regular intake of green tea reduced the prevalence of depressive symptoms, as well as produced antidepressant-like effects in rodents. Evidence proposed that disturbed reward learning has been associated with the development of anhedonia, a core symptom of depression. However, the relationship between green tea and reward learning is poorly investigated. Our goal was to test whether chronic treatment with green tea in healthy subjects affects the process of reward learning and subsequently regulates the depressive symptoms.

Methods

Seventy-four healthy subjects participated in a double-blind, randomized placebo-controlled study with oral administration of green tea or placebo for 5weeks. We used the monetary incentive delay task to evaluate the reward learning by measurement of the response to reward trial or no-reward trial. We compared the reaction time of reward responsiveness between green tea and placebo treatment. Furthermore, we selected Montgomery-Asberg depression rating scale (MADRS) and 17-item Hamilton Rating Scale for Depression (HRSD-17) to estimate the depressive symptoms in these two groups.

Results

The results showed chronic treatment of green tea increased reward learning compared with placebo by decreasing the reaction time in monetary incentive delay task. Moreover, participants treated with green tea showed reduced scores measured in MADRS and HRSD-17 compared with participants treated with placebo.

Conclusions

Our findings reveal that chronic green tea increased the reward learning and prevented the depressive symptoms. These results also raised the possibility that supplementary administration of green tea might reverse the development of depression through normalization of the reward function.

Keywords: Green tea, Depression, Reward learning, Anhedonia

2. "Green Tea Intake Improves Reward Learning and Symptoms of Depression"

3. "Green Tea (Camellia sinensis) Potentiates Haloperidol – Induced Extrapyr- amidal Symptoms and Decreases Dopamine Metabolism in the Dorsal Striatum of Rats"
An increase in sensitivity of DA D2 receptors has been reported fowling long term administration of Haloperidol. D2 receptors are intensely distributed both presynaptically and postsynaptically in striatal dopaminergic neurons [29, 30] and it is more likely that GTE has presynaptic and postsynaptic role in processing and integrating incoming input in nucleus accumbens (AcN) but not towards caudate putamen (CPu) of the basal ganglion network. It will be interesting to find out GTE role in pre and post synaptic events. Our results (Figs. 3 and 4) showed the effect of haloperidol on DOAPC levels tend to induce large fraction of DA catabolism occur intraneuronally in the ventral striatum. On the other hand an increase level of HVA was also observed in AcN but not in the CPu at repeated dose haloperidol and GTE intake in rats. That is explicable in
terms of increase DA release and obstructs respectively in these brain regions [32]. However the effects on ventral striatum are known to be involved in the emotional control. Haloperidol produce effects on the ventral striatum and substantia Nigra [34], impression that GTE+ HAL enhances the DA and its metabolites levels in ventral striatum may have some impact on mood modification. Recent findings have proven that motor deficits can be reduced with L- arginine (a NO donor) in dose dependent manners and demonstrated as a possible therapeutic option to reverse VCMs and increased dopamine levels [10]. It is also well documented that GTE polyphenols are a good scavenger of NO ions [32], Epigalocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG) has proven selective inhibitor of inducible nitric oxide synthase ( iNOS) in human chondrocytes [33]. Polyphenols of GTE have been shown to decrease plasma nitrite levels significantly via reversed L-arginine effects, inhibited NO production favoring antinociceptive effect in rodent [34 -35] and NO may enhance oxidative stress in entire dorsal striatum of the brain intensify motor impairment ."
  • Informative x 1

#2 ThreeKings12341

• 169 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 03:53 PM

have u noticed an improvement in depression from drinking green tea?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 09:54 PM

have u noticed an improvement in depression from drinking green tea?

yes i have actually that's why i continue to buy it.

funny story, one time I had almost run out of tea (shame, shame) and decided to order it from Japan using the expedited shipping, air mail.  Normally it takes 7-10 days to arrive, and it was supposed to get here in 3-5 days with the faster shipping.  Well I ended up wasting my money, because customs was suspicious of the speedy shipping and stopped an inspected my package and I didn't get it for like 20 days.  Utter bollocks i tell you, last time I expedite my tea.

• Cheerful x 1

#4 ThreeKings12341

• 169 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 05:44 PM

yes i have actually that's why i continue to buy it.

funny story, one time I had almost run out of tea (shame, shame) and decided to order it from Japan using the expedited shipping, air mail.  Normally it takes 7-10 days to arrive, and it was supposed to get here in 3-5 days with the faster shipping.  Well I ended up wasting my money, because customs was suspicious of the speedy shipping and stopped an inspected my package and I didn't get it for like 20 days.  Utter bollocks i tell you, last time I expedite my tea.

nice :) , how does it help you exactly?

haha ^^ nice story

#5 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 03:12 AM

how does it help you exactly?

it helps me get out of bed in the morning and feel giddy without having to break the law.

it helps me perspire in group meetings and convince old men of their faults.

it helps me with bladder movements.

it really doesn't cure adhd or anxiety or borderline or schizotypal personality, but i would very much like to think it does.  it has cured my depression and i will leave it at that. (it didn't cure it overnight fwiw, took months and months of expensive first rate gunners made japanese tea)

Edited by gamesguru, 07 November 2018 - 03:15 AM.

#6 ThreeKings12341

• 169 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 07:03 PM

it helps me get out of bed in the morning and feel giddy without having to break the law.

it helps me perspire in group meetings and convince old men of their faults.

it helps me with bladder movements.

it really doesn't cure adhd or anxiety or borderline or schizotypal personality, but i would very much like to think it does.  it has cured my depression and i will leave it at that. (it didn't cure it overnight fwiw, took months and months of expensive first rate gunners made japanese tea)

it does help me 2, taking it cuz there is a study based on anhedonia etc.

anything u coul  recommend for flat/blunted affect ?

#7 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 November 2018 - 08:09 PM

are extracts in capsules good enough?

#8 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 10:52 PM

anything u coul  recommend for flat/blunted affect ?

turmeric, magnesium threonate, and red Korean ginseng

try that for a few months and get back with me

#9 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 02:26 AM

are extracts in capsules good enough?

probably not, though epicatechin is stable for literally hundreds of years and it's true it is THE flavonol of interest... EGC and EGCG are much less shelf stable

the ratios may also be tilted in green tea extract because cheaper teas have less epicatechin, and supplements are rarely made from high quality teas. and green tea extract is lacking theanine and caffeine which account for much of the antidepressant effect

#10 ThreeKings12341

• 169 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 04:47 PM

turmeric, magnesium threonate, and red Korean ginseng

try that for a few months and get back with me

thx , u mean curcumin right ?

#11 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 10:15 PM

thx , u mean curcumin right ?

This is a hotly debated subject among supplement circles, with many studies suggesting that plain turmeric is equally effective to the highly refined "curcumin" form sold by supplement vendors.  It has been suggested the intestinal villi and lumen can only absorb so much, and saturating them (with refined curcumin) does nothing beyond a point.

Black pepper is thought to work by dilating the villi, but it is not understood why turmeric absorption is boosted by black pepper so significantly more than common medicines' absorptions are boosted by black pepper.  There may be secondary mechanisms to pepper and turmeric.

As for my original suggestion, seems other things may be relevant too such as gotu kola.  But I would say keep the stack simple and try it out for a few months as originally suggested.  By all means drop something if you have a reaction or a strong feeling against it.

#12 BasicBiO

• 159 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 November 2018 - 04:14 PM

Anecdotally, I think these findings are spot on. I'm a lifelong coffee drinker but the effects wane after a few hours and leave me in a deficit as far as motivation and mood. A cup or two of green tea at lunch seems to restore both without effecting my sleep quality.  One of these days, I will experiment with replacing coffee with green tea entirely, but coffee is the hardest addiction for me to break.

#13 MankindRising

• 178 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 December 2018 - 12:09 AM

Interesting study, however I noticed that the dose that they gave the participants was 400mg greentea powder after meals 3 times per day, so 1200mg of the powder which contained close to 50% worth of egcg, so thats a whopping 600mg egcg.

Would it be wiser to go with an extract and wash it down with some boiled water after a meal rather than some real greentea? Because from what I have read the amount of egcg in different green teas can differ dramatically, ranging from as little of 5mg egcg!! to 180mg egcg a cup!! thats a huge huge gap.

To the people in this thread that have been drinking green tea daily for a while and noticed the benefits that were listed: Do you feel as if skipping out a few days of drinking green tea brings back anhedonia rapidly?

#14 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 05:11 AM

a whopping 600mg egcg.

ranging from as little of 5mg egcg!! to 180mg egcg a cup!! thats a huge huge gap.

To the people in this thread that have been drinking green tea daily for a while and noticed the benefits that were listed: Do you feel as if skipping out a few days of drinking green tea brings back anhedonia rapidly?

Crushed and thoroughly brewed green tea dissolves nearly all of what is present in the dry leaf.  A second steeping has always produced a very watery brew.  According to my sources even the cheapest tea has ~40mg egcg per 1g of dry, and I have no problem going through a 100g sack of primos a week.  That's close to 1g egcg daily.

You also won't get the same benefits without also buying theanine and caffeine, and don't neglect the epicatechin and what else you can't find on supplement shelves.  Natural tea provides really the perfect package.

As for whether or not the benefits disappear soon after you quit drinking?  No, they linger long, months, perhaps years.

When I was between jobs I cut spending in many ways.  I survived on a diet of potatoes, peas and apples.  I drove my car as little as possible.  Green tea became a luxury, I quit drinking it for six weeks.  All the while I was studying and toiling away in the night, dancing my pants off and totally, consistently high on life.

Six weeks and 20 tech screens later a high school graduate began working as a data algorithms engineer at a little place called ford motor company.  I again could justify quality tea and fancy foods, but I really was no better or worse for wear.  The body adapts itself remarkably well to adversity.. the benefits of tea have been cumulative, persistent, and plateaued, and for a while now i have drunk it purely out of habit and desire.

#15 cat-nips

• 226 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 09:16 PM

Nice work.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#16 MankindRising

• 178 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 December 2018 - 09:48 AM

Somewhat disappointed to read in a paper I recently come accross though that egcg/green tea seems to raise urea levels, this is the oposite of what I need ughhh.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dopamine, reward learning

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users