• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Modalert - is this what modafinil is like?

modafinil modalert

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 dangerousdave

• 11 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 04:15 PM

Hello all, noob here, this forum kept coming up in my google searches so I thought this was the place to ask some questions (other forums so far seem unbelievably poor for noots)...

I got some Modalert from goodhealthpharmacy, and it seems pretty crappy when compared to glowing reports of other brands I've seen online, though I've never taken any other brand myself. I read the posts on this board saying how crap it is, too late... but it definately does do 'something'...

Please could someone compare the following to how Modafinil *should* be and let me know just how much of a waste of money this Modalert is...

Over the course of a day I took 700mg of this stuff. After first morning dose of 200mg I felt a definate 'buzzing' sensation, heart rate increase, etc, but still felt tired (as usual, hence the modafinil).

I was up at 1000, took that first 200mg; waited 4 hours took another 100mg; few minutes later felt the effects, still wasn't enough so dropped another 100mg. At this point I start to definately feel some stimulation, but more salient is the feeling of 'pressure' on my head - no concentration, alertness or motivation increase, and still feel tired. Several hours later on, about 2300, my eyelids felt heavy and my concentration was seriously waning. I had some work to do so I drop yet another 100mg. Now start to see an improvement in focus and concentration, but still feel tired, with very heavy eyelids and heartbeat ever faster. Finally at 0000 dropped another 100mg. Now heart feels like its racing quite a lot, but its nothing unmanagable. Feel much more alert than I should at this point, but not like I just got up from a really good sleep or anything, still heavy eyes and much lower concentration than full wakefulness. The buzzing heart-rate thing goes after a few hours, and I'm left admittedly more alert than I should be under the circumstances, but certainly wouldnt be flying any damn fighter jets on a 40 hour shift, like the research suggests you could!!! Poor short-term memory and focus (both mind and eyes!), and obviously not a chance of sleep. I manage at 0600 to lie down for 3 hours, never really sleeping, as if I am constantly falling asleep but never quite getting there. After I got up I was a little refreshed, but still felt messed up. It seems almost like forced insomnia than anything that actually wakes you up.

Sound familiar? Or does this, as I may cautiously suspect, sound more like some kind of amphetamine effect? And, of course, 700mg is quite a lot, so right there I'm thinking theres something going on with this brand. Maybe the effective dose is higher with this stuff, and the 700mg is only worth 100mg of the 'real' stuff (damn I hope thats it)? If thats the case I could do with knowing so I can up the dose - naturally I'm a bit wary of going overboard on the stuff.

Would really like to know how this experience compares to 'real' modafinil (Provigil, Alertec, etc)....

Cheers,
Dave.

#2 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 06:33 PM

I would first be concerned about what else you are taking. Are you taking anything else?

Peace.

Edited by nootropikamil, 21 April 2007 - 10:52 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 dangerousdave

• Topic Starter
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 06:47 PM

Hmm, checked contraindications for modafinil and nothing I'm taking (besides coffee) is on the list.

But fair enough, here is the list of stuff I'm on:

Pharms:
Piracetam

Herbs:
Gotu Kola
Gingko Biloba
Ginseng

Nutrients:
Multivitamins
Choline Bitartrate
5-HTP

Plus I did smoke some weed whilst on it, but literally the tiniest of amounts. Quite an intriguing sensation on modafinil.

I doubt it makes a difference, but a couple of days before taking the modalert I stopped taking St Johns Wort and some crap called Psychotropin, both of which I had been using for a week prior.

#4 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 06:51 PM

Did the modafinil you purchased come in sealed, blister packs with data printed on it such as Lot#, expiration dates, and other miscellaneous data?

Edited by nootropikamil, 21 April 2007 - 11:03 PM.

#5 dangerousdave

• Topic Starter
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 06:53 PM

Yeah exactly like that!

And yeah, pretty much took all the doses on an empty stomach.

SO what I'm reading between the lines here, is that my experience is not how things normally go...

Does modafinil, when sleep deprived, make you feel fully alert, like it completely failed to do with me?

#6 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 07:02 PM

Oh, and real quick like...check this video out -- you need real player or real alternative to watch it. though. If you already have a super high IQ then modafinil might actually hurt your intelligence: it's a long video, but watch it at least until the second speaker finishes:

Download real alternative here

Nick Boström on cognitive enhancement, webcast presentation at the Oxford conf.
Click below for an excellent video:
http://streaming.oii...6/16032006-1.rm

#7 hormesis

• 38 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 08:10 AM

Anyone have any experience with
pharm-marketing.com

They're offering Modafinil powder at
$1200/kg.

http://www.pharma-or...973d6836425dc27
Compared to $6599/kg

Could be a good deal. Thoughts?
Anyone know of a better source?

7. Modafinil (Provigil)
Chemical Name: 2-[(diphenylmethyl)sulfinyl]acetamide
CAS NO.: [68693-11-8]
Structural Formula:

Molecular Formula: C15H15NO2S
Molecular Weight: 273.36
Appearance: White to off-white crystalline solid
Solubility: practically insoluble inwater and cyclohexane. It is sparingly to slightly soluble in methanol and acetone
Melting point:164-166 DEG C.
Residue on ignition: 0.2% max
Loss on drying: 0.5% max
Assay: 98.5% min
Heavy metal: 20 ppm max
Uses: It is a wakefulness-promoting agent for oral administration
Packing: Aluminium or iron tin lined with plastic bag.

#8 hormesis

• 38 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 09:13 AM

Actually I just got a reply from this Korean company for only $550/kg. I'm trying to get some more info from them. Anyone heard of them?

Thanks for your e-mail.

We would be pleased if you are interested in following quotation.

-Product: Modafinil (Cas # 68693-11-8)
-Quantity: 5kgs
-Price: U$550/kg via courier to door
-Payment: Prepayment by wire transfer
-Spec;
APPEARANCE:White to off-white crystalline powder
ASSAY:99.0% min
HEAVY METALS:20ppm max
RESIDUE ON IGNITION:0.5% max
LOSS ON DRYING:0.5 max

We look forward to receiving your reply.

Thanks and Regards
BS Lee
Chemland21, Seoul, Korea
Tel:+82+2+783 8427
Fax:+82+2+783 8063
www.chemicalland21.com

Have a nice day ^_^
- Hide quoted text -

What's your per kg price on Modafinil and what would be involved in
purchasing 5kg?
Thanks

#9 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 07:23 PM

I can source Modafinil too -- from a supplier I know in China. Unfortunately, with drugs from China and many Asian countries, quality is really hit or miss -- and most likely, if you do not have a long-term working relationship with a supplier there, it will tend to be a miss. What that means is the COA might say 99.whatever%; but when compared to a pharmaceutical grade reference standard, it might come out more like 50-90%. So there always is a chance you'll import it, then send a sample to an analytical laboratory for an assay and the result won't come out...quite right. Also, I don't know how you plan to import a controlled substance without getting into serious trouble. I would stick to products coming from respectable pharmaceutical companies if you want to be safe taking imported drugs -- if I were you.

http://www.usdoj.gov.../agency/csa.htm
http://medicine.plos...al.pmed.0020100]
http://www.lef.org/p...-prtcl-158.html

#10 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 07:25 PM

Buying things overseas from unknown sellers prepaying in advance is not a great idea. You don't know what you will be getting or if you are going to get anything at all. What's to stop them from keeping your money and sending nothing? Are you going to sue them in korea? Lots of luck. There is such a thing as a letter of credit in which you put the money up, they get the letter of credit and when you recieve the goods, you sign for them and they get the money. But, it could be baking powder instead of modafinil. Oh, and there is the minor problem of needing a prescription. If you are nabbed with 5 kilos of that stuff, you will be prosecuted and may be facing many years in prison. They don't laugh at 5 kilo quantities. The newspaper will say you are a major dealer in narcotics. The judge will not be sympathetic.

But don't let minor things like that stop you.
  • dislike x 1

#11 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 07:31 PM

Well said, xanadu. I am pretty sure you will get something...but I'm not sure it will be ~99% pure...or even safe. The standard in this business is to submit a sample to an analytical laboratory to corroborate the claim on a COA; when a product comes from an international source, liability is tough terrain.

http://www.nutraceut...oid-disaste.php

To recoup the cost of analysis of material you cannot use you could consider instituting a policy with your suppliers we sometimes refer to as “put up or pay up.” If you test a supplier’s product and it meets specifications, then everyone is happy. If, however, the product is substandard then your supplier reimburses you for the cost of analysis. This puts your suppliers on notice that they will be held accountable for selling deficient material.

And when you do test a product, first make sure the lab you use is competent and service-oriented. There is no point testing if the lab’s results are inaccurate or if the lab won’t stand behind you in times of crisis. Ask the lab how often they test the product in question and what method they use; if a lab refuses to disclose the method go elsewhere. Be sure the method and standards used have been properly validated (otherwise the test won’t be consistent from sample to sample). Be critical of the service and documentation you receive from the lab; if either is in a state if disarray, what do you think the lab looks like?

Also, make sure the sample you send for testing is representative of the lot in question. There are simple but routinely ignored procedures to follow to insure this. And please do not fall for the “pre-production sample bait and switch” routine we see too often, where we’re given a “primo” sample to test but the customer gets “junk” delivered to its warehouse. You must be sure the lab tests what you are buying.

One final note: be sure to retain a sample of all materials passing through your hands. It is only with a retained sample that you have the ability to exonerate yourself should someone downstream blame you for a problem.

So you see, the nutritional supplement business is not a commodity business where every product with the same name is identical, but more akin to the chemical business where all products have specifications that must be met and where this attainment must be demonstrated. In addition, these products are chemical entities and obey (for better or for worse) the dynamic rules of chemistry. If you want to get your supplement right and avoid disaster you must be fully familiar with the products you handle and take proactive steps to be sure that’s what you have on hand. NW

#12 hormesis

• 38 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 09:33 PM

Could someone educate me on how to get a proper third party analysis (HPLC or otherwise) and what it might cost. This is all I could find
http://www.labelclai...g.com/?pageID=2

#13 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 03:25 AM

Could someone educate me on how to get a proper third party analysis (HPLC or otherwise) and what it might cost.

A couple of respectable laboratories in the USA -- that I am sure can analyse and find the proper reference standard for modafinil -- are:

http://www.integrate.../nutrition.html

http://www.analytical-lab.com/

For a proper HPLC analysis for purity -- typically the cost is somewhere between $165-350 -- depending on the compound -- and the laboratory you are working with. And just getting the HPLC result itself isn't really all we can do to assure a drug's quality. It's the best starting point; however. It's very important to ask the laboratory who is performing the assay for their methodology in calculating purity -- what reference standards they are using too. And always request a copy of the HPLC result itself -- which is essentially a printout of a graph is x amount of "peaks" -- like these:

Here are some HPLC results of low purity pyridoxamine that was rejected by AOR (~91=95% pure)

Posted Image

Here are some of Relentless's HPLC's for Idebenone:

The first is the reference standard Relentless submitted for Idebenone:

Posted Image

The second is the sample that was bottled:

Posted Image

Do they look pretty similar? Purity is generally -- as far as I know -- calculated mathematically -- based on the comparison with a reference standard.

Peace.

#14 hormesis

• 38 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 03:04 PM

Thanks a million.

#15 regino007

• 18 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 09:00 PM

Hello all, noob here, this forum kept coming up in my google searches so I thought this was the place to ask some questions (other forums so far seem unbelievably poor for noots)...

I got some Modalert from goodhealthpharmacy, and it seems pretty crappy when compared to glowing reports of other brands I've seen online, though I've never taken any other brand myself.  I read the posts on this board saying how crap it is, too late... but it definately does do 'something'...

Please could someone compare the following to how Modafinil *should* be and let me know just how much of a waste of money this Modalert is...

Over the course of a day I took 700mg of this stuff. After first morning dose of 200mg I felt a definate 'buzzing' sensation, heart rate increase, etc, but still felt tired (as usual, hence the modafinil).

I was up at 1000, took that first 200mg; waited 4 hours took another 100mg; few minutes later felt the effects, still wasn't enough so dropped another 100mg. At this point I start to definately feel some stimulation, but more salient is the feeling of 'pressure' on my head - no concentration, alertness or motivation increase, and still feel tired. Several hours later on, about 2300, my eyelids felt heavy and my concentration was seriously waning. I had some work to do so I drop yet another 100mg. Now start to see an improvement in focus and concentration, but still feel tired, with very heavy eyelids and heartbeat ever faster. Finally at 0000 dropped another 100mg. Now heart feels like its racing quite a lot, but its nothing unmanagable. Feel much more alert than I should at this point, but not like I just got up from a really good sleep or anything, still heavy eyes and much lower concentration than full wakefulness.  The buzzing heart-rate thing goes after a few hours, and I'm left admittedly more alert than I should be under the circumstances, but certainly wouldnt be flying any damn fighter jets on a 40 hour shift, like the research suggests you could!!!  Poor short-term memory and focus (both mind and eyes!), and obviously not a chance of sleep.  I manage at 0600 to lie down for 3 hours, never really sleeping, as if I am constantly falling asleep but never quite getting there.  After I got up I was a little refreshed, but still felt messed up.  It seems almost like forced insomnia than anything that actually wakes you up.

Sound familiar? Or does this, as I may cautiously suspect, sound more like some kind of amphetamine effect? And, of course, 700mg is quite a lot, so right there I'm thinking theres something going on with this brand.  Maybe the effective dose is higher with this stuff, and the 700mg is only worth 100mg of the 'real' stuff (damn I hope thats it)?  If thats the case I could do with knowing so I can up the dose - naturally I'm a bit wary of going overboard on the stuff.

Would really like to know how this experience compares to 'real' modafinil (Provigil, Alertec, etc)....

Cheers,
Dave.

I got some from the same place and I must say I not happy with this product. I was wondering if it was a fake of some sort.

#16 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 09:30 PM

I took 300 mg of Olmifon Adrafinil for the first time this morning and noticed no benefit at all. Granted, I stayed up later than usual and slept in later than usual, getting about 8 - 8.5 hours of sleep overall, it feels like the stuff has actually slowed down my thinking. I just don't feel as sharp as usual. I'll try again in a few days at 600 mg. The good news is that there were no side effects. I was also able to easily take a 1 hour nap two to three hours after taking it.

#17 regino007

• 18 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 12:55 AM

I took 200mg at 11am this morning and by 2-3pm I was feeling tired.........so at 3 I took another 200mg and I must say that I think I feel the effect of it now. I am going to take 200 in the am and 200 in the early pm to see if it does the same. I will keep you updated.

#18 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 04:10 AM

I took 200mg at 11am this morning and by 2-3pm I was feeling tired.........so at 3 I took another 200mg and I must say that I think I feel the effect of it now. I am going to take 200 in the am and 200 in the early pm to see if it does the same. I will keep you updated.

Regino007, are you talking about Modalert, Adrafinil, Modafinil, or something else? After taking 300 mg this morning, I have been feeling tired all day and just mentally out of it. Even simple tasks such as calculating the percent tip on a restaurant bill seem more challenging than usual -- the people I was with jokingly commented on this as well. For me, taking 200 mg Adrafinil is comparable to having that feeling of just waking up from a nap and feeling out of it...except the feeling lasts all day. That is probably the closest analogy that I can think of to describe my experience. I just feel mentally spaced-out and not really motivated to do anything intellectual. Even reading literature on how to use Microsoft Project seems challenging now. I think I now know what old-age cognitive decline feels like...and it's not as fun as some may claim. Yikes, I think I might just pitch this stuff. I cannot afford to lose another day. I felt great all day yesterday. It could be partly due to a shift in my sleep cycle, I woke up later than usual and went to bed later than usual. But if this substance is so closely related to a narcolepsy drug, then I would expect to feel at least as alert as I usually do. Oh well, it was an experiment and I have reached a conclusion. Maybe I will try 600 mg later during the work week, but I am not really eager to experience an even deeper level of stupidity.

#19 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 25 June 2006 - 07:35 AM

Modafinil (any brand, doses above 200mg) gives me ugly drug like feeling, just like for snyp40a1. In general i would never use it, caffeine works so much better for me. Guess we're all different.

#20 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 07:56 AM

Modafinil (any brand, doses above 200mg) gives me ugly drug like feeling, just like for snyp40a1. In general i would never use it, caffeine works so much better for me. Guess we're all different.

Nothing I have found is more effective than Monster Energy. I wish I could have its effects everyday, but if I drink it everday two downsides will happen:

1. I build up tolerance (short-term)
2. I develop diabetes (long-term)

Even Monster Energy can sometimes screw up my sleep cycle, but not as much as Adrafinil is doing now [mellow] . There are other factors though, it is hot outside and my room is not at my preferred sleeping temperature (around 65 degrees). If I am still up at 3 AM though, I'll be pissed.

I swear I am not selling Monster, but I really wish I knew what made it so effective.

Still, reading the reviews from Erowid.org, Provigil (Modafinil) looks like a better drug than Adrafinil. The reviews of Provigil were mostly positive while the reviews of Adrafinil were mostly negative. (Becareful to neglect all the reviews from people who were abusing these drugs -- taking them with recreational substances). So Provigil sounds like a better substance than Adrafinil.
  • dislike x 1

#21 hbeing

• 9 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 07:27 PM

I just finished using modalert for a week.... it is real, although the effect is very subtle.. I havent tried provigil, but I intend to.... I can only imagine it being slightly better, maybe I get smart on that, because I didnt necessarily notice any increase in focus, except when it was late and when my focus should've dropped, it didnt, it stayed normal.... yesterday I went to a musical festival with no sleep from the night before... without any other stimulants like coffee I was feeling mostly fine all day, and I drove home without a problem even though I had been awake for over 35 hours... I felt ok, body was obviously fatigued, but normally I would be a wreck after that much sleep deprevation... my roommate even commented on how well I was driving, considering he was tired despite having sleep the night before. I think modalert is great for staying awake and alert despite not having slept... maybe if they tested me they'd see a boost of some sort, but it's so subtle, it's like you're not taking anything.... it doesnt elevate my mood, but I also noticed that I havent had any depressed episodes, which I normally do (depression), even during thoughts where I normally get depressed.

I normally have a hard time getting to sleep without drugs, so this stuff isnt great for me, I have a hard time getting to sleep and the week has had it's tole... I didnt sleep a lot, so my immune system dropped...got a coldsore, which normally happens to me under sleep deprivation... this was unnerving though, because I felt fine... it just shows that your body is feeling the lack of sleep... but I was impressed how modafinil kept my brain feeling normal . I can see it being very useful for long drives and situations that require a good working brain. I dont really think people should take it everyday. There were periods where I thought my heart was racing, but that could've been in my head... I was a little paranoid about it all week.

#22 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 08:45 PM

just finished using modalert for a week.... it is real, although the effect is very subtle.. I havent tried provigil, but I intend to....  I can only imagine it being slightly better, maybe I get smart on that, because I didnt necessarily notice any increase in focus, except when it was late and when my focus should've dropped, it didnt, it stayed normal.... yesterday I went to a musical festival with no sleep from the night before... without any other stimulants like coffee I was feeling mostly fine all day, and I drove home without a problem even though I had been awake for over 35 hours... I felt ok, body was obviously fatigued, but normally I would be a wreck after that much sleep deprevation... my roommate even commented on how well I was driving, considering he was tired despite having sleep the night before.  I think modalert is great for staying awake and alert despite not having slept...  maybe if they tested me they'd see a boost of some sort, but it's so subtle, it's like you're not taking anything....  it doesnt elevate my mood, but I also noticed that I havent had any depressed episodes, which I normally do (depression), even during thoughts where I normally get depressed.

I normally have a hard time getting to sleep without drugs, so this stuff isnt great for me, I have a hard time getting to sleep and the week has had it's tole... I didnt sleep a lot, so my immune system dropped...got a coldsore, which normally happens to me under sleep deprivation... this was unnerving though, because I felt fine... it just shows that your body is feeling the lack of sleep... but I was impressed how modafinil kept my brain feeling normal .  I can see it being very useful for long drives and situations that require a good working brain.  I dont really think people should take it everyday.  There were periods where I thought my heart was racing, but that could've been in my head... I was a little paranoid about it all week.

Adrafinil definitely works in regards to reducing dependency on sleep. Although I felt like I was having an everlasting brain fart all day yesterday and even today, still. The stuff kept me up until 5:30 AM last night. My head hit the pillow sometime between midnight and 1 AM, and I was resting until around 5 AM, but did not actually fall into deeper sleep until around 5:30 AM. I remember seeing the sun come up and hearing birds chirping before I actually fell asleep. There was only one or two other times in my life when I have stayed up for just under 24 hours. Although I was partly uncomfortable due to the fact that my room was too warm and my sleep cycle was messed up from the night before, I have no doubt that Adrafinil reduced my need (and desire) for sleep...even though I wanted to sleep, I still felt wide awake. Adrafinil, though, seems to slow down and fragment my thinking. I find that my reading comprehension efficiency has greatly diminished (at least in regards to reading very boring GRE passages) and the math sections of the GRE are taking me much more longer than usual, even though I am familiar with most of the problem types so its mostly just arithmetic. I have heard of similar experiences from others who have taken Provigil. Others such as Dopamine claim some cognitive benefit. I have read of scientific studies (from reputable 3rd party sources) which documented cognitive improvement in some healthy individuals. So I think Adrafinil might help some, but not me.

#23 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 25 June 2006 - 09:27 PM

snyp40a1
Do you have lower than normal blood preassure, or at least you feel you do?

#24 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 10:11 PM

I just finished using modalert for a week.... it is real, although the effect is very subtle.. I havent tried provigil, but I intend to....  I can only imagine it being slightly better, maybe I get smart on that, because I didnt necessarily notice any increase in focus, except when it was late and when my focus should've dropped, it didnt, it stayed normal.... yesterday I went to a musical festival with no sleep from the night before... without any other stimulants like coffee I was feeling mostly fine all day, and I drove home without a problem even though I had been awake for over 35 hours... I felt ok, body was obviously fatigued, but normally I would be a wreck after that much sleep deprevation... my roommate even commented on how well I was driving, considering he was tired despite having sleep the night before.  I think modalert is great for staying awake and alert despite not having slept...  maybe if they tested me they'd see a boost of some sort, but it's so subtle, it's like you're not taking anything....  it doesnt elevate my mood, but I also noticed that I havent had any depressed episodes, which I normally do (depression), even during thoughts where I normally get depressed.

I normally have a hard time getting to sleep without drugs, so this stuff isnt great for me, I have a hard time getting to sleep and the week has had it's tole... I didnt sleep a lot, so my immune system dropped...got a coldsore, which normally happens to me under sleep deprivation... this was unnerving though, because I felt fine... it just shows that your body is feeling the lack of sleep... but I was impressed how modafinil kept my brain feeling normal .  I can see it being very useful for long drives and situations that require a good working brain.  I dont really think people should take it everyday.  There were periods where I thought my heart was racing, but that could've been in my head... I was a little paranoid about it all week.

I know several people who reacted similarly to Provigil. It's often a factor of the patient's weight, other supplements, drugs, etc. Even foods can alter processing of certain enzymes which can render the effects of a drug ineffective.

What is your body weight? If you weigh more than 70kg, 200mg might be too low of a dose.

What other drugs and supplements do you take?

Did you take the modafinil on an empty stomach?

You are MUCH more likely to get fake stuff off of the Internet, that's why I advise for individuals to get a precription for the drugs they want -- and FILL IT AT YOUR LOCAL PHARMACY.

I've posted this before, but I will post it again, just in case no one saw the previous warning:

When you import modafinil (a schedule IV substance in the USA) from India to the US, you are risking a lot. I am not sure it is worth it.

Posted Image

http://www.dea.gov/i...l_internet.html

Posted Image

Peace out.

#25 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 01:10 AM

I don't know where my blood pressure falls. I do know that my pulse is below normal. I weigh around 61 kg so 200 mg should be proportional to my body weight. I also took 2 capsules of OrthoMind that morning as well as 800 mg piracetam, which I have been taking daily for about a month now. I took Adrafinil, not Provigil, along with a banana after awaking and then had breakfast about 30 mins later.

#26 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 01:33 AM

The banana was a bad idea.

600mg on an empty stomach!  Adrafinil (not scheduled)!

It was Olmifon Adrafinil, whose parent company makes Provigil. A while ago, you recommended the stuff to me and I was just following your advice. You posted a PDF on Adrafinil from a reputable source and since the stuff was tested in senior citizens, I thought it might be worthwhile. You mentioned that Adrafinil at 600 mg should produce the same effect as Provigil at 200 mg. I started out at 300 mg and planned to work up to 600 mg. But after observing the effects of 300 mg, I am not eager to try 600 mg. Why was the banana a bad idea?

#27 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 02:37 AM

That was a wise move to take 300mg first instead of 600mg.

An empty stomach might allow for better and quicker absorption...

Posted Image

I suppose you could try adrafinil safety if you have a properly functioning liver and aren't taking other meds that might not be compatible...

It is much less risky to import adrafinil than modafinil to the USA: while modafinil is schedule IV, adrafinil isn't. :)

My experience with adrafinil led me to belive that the effect of 600mg adrafinil is roughly equivalent in effects to 200mg modafinil. When I was under a lot of pressure at school, I went up to 600mg twice a day. The doses used in the 45+ Europeans was 600mg am and 300mg noon.

Your urine might smell strange...

If you plan to take adrafinil for longer than a month or two, you need to have your liver enzymes checked...

Attached Files

#28 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 03:34 AM

We shall see. Maybe I will try again in a few days, but probably not. What I experienced was a definite cognitive decline, not a cognitive enhancement. True, there were some other factors involved such as higher than normal sleeping temperature and a shifted sleep cycle. However, I would expect that a drug also used to combat narcolepsy would easily offset these effects. I just simply did not feel good on the substance. I did not feel sick and there were no negative physical symptoms, but my brain was not outputting peak horsepower :-). Some people like Provigil, some do not. It's probably all about personal body/mind chemistry. I was not looking for anything life changing when I started experimenting with nootropics. Longevity is really my ultimate goal. If I can squeeze out another 4 to 10 IQ points and help protect my mind from damage / aging without sacrificing health, then great. This was all just an experiment in mind optimization. I was not looking for a specific solution. There will be some interesting cognitive enhancers developed for the mainstream in a few years, not just for increased intelligence, but also for preserving the mind against aging. At that point, I'll probably give them another few extra years and see how they stabilize and if they look safe, I may try...maybe. I would not want to be the first person to try laser eye surgery, even though in retrospect, it works well. In the meantime, where else would I look next, well, maybe something like neurotransmitter precursors such as Phenylalanine. But that seems kinda risky. I think I'll stick to the good old vitamins, minerals, sleep, exercise, and learning to preserve and promote my brain...until gene therapy :-).

#29 regino007

• 18 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 05:38 AM

I took 200 mg in the am and then another 200mg in the pm.........by 7pm I was feeling a small amount of tirednes coming on so I took half of one(100mg) It is 12:36am and I am still at my comp working on things, making a list for tomorrow,getting things lined up for the day. I am going to continue taking this for a week and see how it does.
I agree with the comment upbove about having liver values checked. Milkthistle is what I have always taken for cleansing.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 psy333che

• 55 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 10:57 PM

I am on provigil(modifinal) and I am prescribed 20mg but usually only take 100mg
because it makes me to jittery
I wonder what you do get if you are taking more then that
I could never imagine taking 1000mg
I know it wouldnt be a good feeling
June

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: modafinil, modalert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users