Photo
- - - - -

Question on Dysplasia (for my wife)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 shuffleup

• 160 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 04:00 PM

My wife is 26 years old and had an abnormal pap smear a couple weeks ago. They called her in to do a colposcopy and the results came back today showing mild (lowest grade) dysplasia. The doctor is not going to treat it until January if it doesn't go away by itself (apparently it sometimes heals on its own).

In the meantime, I'd like to know if there is anything diet/supplementation-wise that would help the healing process or at least keep it from getting worse? I read some about I3C but I wanted to know if anyone could help share some information about it or other things that could possibly help?

By the way, I browse here and avant from time just haven't posted here before.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

#2 griffix

• 3 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 05:28 PM

If she smokes, then stopping could help even though the condition has already been diagnosed. Nicotine has been known to increase the likelyhood of woman developing cervical dysplasia, and might have a detrimental effect on the existing condition.

With regards to the treatment / delaying, immune boosters (aloe vera, vitamin C, vitamin E, selenium, amino acids, and folic acid) will aid the body in repairing the cells in cervix tissue. In the past if i've felt the onset of any disease, echinicea has proven to be excellent at keeping it at bay. It serves as an booster to the immune system and is readily available at most health stores.

Although brief, here's a link to (what i've mentioned and more) information:

Dysplasia remedies at a glance

(hope that link works...)

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 neuroenhanced

• 63 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 12:27 AM

On one of the forums.

Human Papillomavirus Protocol

Anti Cancer:
Indole-3-Carbinol 400 mg
Curcumin 1-3 grams

Anti Viral:
Lactoferrin 1-5 grams
Carrageenan 1-5 grams
Glycerol monolaurate 1-5 grams

I3C studies.

Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2006 Mar-Apr;16(2):786-90
A randomized phase II trial of indole-3-carbinol in the treatment of vulvar intraepithelial neoplasia.

Naik R, Nixon S, Lopes A, Godfrey K, Hatem MH, Monaghan JM. Northern Gynaecological Oncology Centre; and Department of Haematology, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Sheriff Hill, Gateshead, United Kingdom.

The aim of this study was to determine the potential therapeutic benefits of indole-3-carbinol (I3C) in the management of vulvar intraepithelial neoplasia (VIN). Women with histologically confirmed high-grade VIN were randomized to receive 200 and 400 mg/day of I3C. Symptomatology by visual analog scale and vulvoscopic appearance were assessed at recruitment, 6 weeks, 3 months, and 6 months. Tissue biopsy to determine histologic response was obtained at completion of the study period. Urine samples were obtained at each visit to determine 2-hydroxyestrone to 16-alpha-hydroxyestrone ratios. Data from 12 women were suitable for analysis. There was a significant improvement in symptomatology with the introduction of I3C (itch, P= 0.018; pain, P= 0.028). Lesion size and severity were also significantly reduced (size, P= 0.005; appearance, P= 0.046). In addition, there was a significant increase in 2-hydroxyestrone to 16-alpha-hydroxyestrone ratio following commencement of I3C, P= 0.05. However, tissue biopsy from the worst-affected vulval areas revealed no improvement in grade of VIN during the 6-month period, P= 0.317. There were no significant differences in results between those women taking 200 mg/day of I3C and those on 400 mg/day. This study has shown significant clinical improvement in symptomatology and vulvoscopic appearance of VIN with I3C therapy. Further clinical and scientific investigations are required to support these preliminary findings.

Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2005 Aug;14(8):1953-60.
A phase I study of indole-3-carbinol in women: tolerability and effects.

Reed GA, Peterson KS, Smith HJ, Gray JC, Sullivan DK, Mayo MS, Crowell JA, Hurwitz A. Department of Medicine, University of Kansas Medical Center, 3901 Rainbow Boulevard, Kansas City, KS 66160, USA. greed@kumc.edu

We completed a phase I trial of indole-3-carbinol (I3C) in 17 women (1 postmenopausal and 16 premenopausal) from a high-risk breast cancer cohort. After a 4-week placebo run-in period, subjects ingested 400 mg I3C daily for 4 weeks followed by a 4-week period of 800 mg I3C daily. These chronic doses were tolerated well by all subjects. Hormonal variables were measured near the end of the placebo and dosing periods, including determination of the urinary 2-hydroxyestrone/16alpha-hydroxyestrone ratio. Measurements were made during the follicular phase for premenopausal women. Serum estradiol, progesterone, luteinizing hormone, follicle-stimulating hormone, and sex hormone binding globulin showed no significant changes in response to I3C. Caffeine was used to probe for cytochrome P450 1A2 (CYP1A2), N-acetyltransferase-2 (NAT-2), and xanthine oxidase. Comparing the results from the placebo and the 800 mg daily dose period, CYP1A2 was elevated by I3C in 94% of the subjects, with a mean increase of 4.1-fold. In subjects with high NAT-2 activities, these were decreased to 11% by I3C administration but not altered if NAT-2 activity was initially low. Xanthine oxidase was not affected. Lymphocyte glutathione S-transferase activity was increased by 69% in response to I3C. The apparent induction of CYP1A2 was mirrored by a 66% increase in the urinary 2-hydroxyestrone/16alpha-hydroxyestrone ratio in response to I3C. The maximal increase was observed with the 400 mg daily dose of I3C, with no further increase found at 800 mg daily. If the ratio of hydroxylated estrone metabolites is a biomarker for chemoprevention, as suggested, then 400 mg I3C daily will elicit a maximal protective effect.

J Voice. 2004 Jun;18(2):248-53.
Indole-3-carbinol for recurrent respiratory papillomatosis: long-term results.

Rosen CA, Bryson PC. University of Pittsburgh Voice Center, Department of Otolaryngology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA, USA. rosenca@msx.upmc.edu

We report the results of a clinical study using Indole-3-Carbinol (I3C) for the treatment of recurrent respiratory papillomatosis (RRP). I3C is abundant in cruciferous vegetables and has been shown to decrease papillomatous growth in cell cultures and be effective in an animal model of RRP. This is a prospective, open-label study design. Patients with RRP were enrolled from September 1996 to August 2001 and treated with I3C (adult dose of 200 mg PO BID). All patients underwent complete surgical removal and then started I3C. Further surgery was performed on an as-needed basis. Patients were categorized as having a complete, partial, or no response to I3C. Thirty-three patients treated with I3C were available for long-term follow-up (mean=4.8 years), whereas 12 patients were lost to follow-up. Eleven (33%) patients experienced remission of papillomatous growth and did not require surgery while on I3C. Ten (30%) patients had a reduction in papillomatous growth that resulted in less frequent surgery. Twelve patients (36%) had no clinical response. No patients experienced a worsening of their RRP. Of the 9 pediatric patients available, 1 experienced a complete response, 3 a partial response, and 5 had no response to I3C. Twelve patients with a positive response (partial or complete) to I3C are still taking I3C. Seven positive responders discontinued I3C, 3 of which have remained disease-free, whereas 4 continue to have RRP. No immediate or long-term side effects related to I3C were found. I3C has been found to be a successful treatment option for RRP. I3C's efficacy in pediatric patients merits further study.

Gynecol Oncol. 2000 Aug;78(2):123-9.
Placebo-controlled trial of indole-3-carbinol in the treatment of CIN.

Bell MC, Crowley-Nowick P, Bradlow HL, Sepkovic DW, Schmidt-Grimminger D, Howell P, Mayeaux EJ, Tucker A, Turbat-Herrera EA, Mathis JM. Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Louisiana State University Medical Center-Shreveport, 1501 Kings Highway, Shreveport, Louisiana, 71130-3932, USA.

OBJECTIVE: Most precancerous lesions of the cervix are treated with surgery or ablative therapy. Chemoprevention, using natural and synthetic compounds, may intervene in the early precancerous stages of carcinogenesis and prevent the development of invasive disease. Our trial used indole-3-carbinol (I-3-C) administered orally to treat women with CIN as a therapeutic for cervical CIN. METHODS: Thirty patients with biopsy proven CIN II-III were randomized to receive placebo or 200, or 400 mg/day I-3-C administered orally for 12 weeks. If persistent CIN was diagnosed by cervical biopsy at the end of the trial, loop electrocautery excision procedure of the transformation zone was performed. HPV status was assessed in all patients. RESULTS: None (0 of 10) of the patients in the placebo group had complete regression of CIN. In contrast 4 of 8 patients in the 200 mg/day arm and 4 of 9 patients in the 400 mg/day arm had complete regression based on their 12-week biopsy. This protective effect of I-3-C is shown by a relative risk (RR) of 0.50 ((95% CI, 0. 25 to 0.99) P = 0.023) for the 200 mg/day group and a RR of 0.55 ((95% CI, 0.31 to 0.99) P = 0.032) for the 400 mg/day group. HPV was detected in 7 of 10 placebo patients, in 7 of 8 in the 200 mg/day group, and in 8 of 9 in the 400 mg/day group. CONCLUSIONS: There was a statistically significant regression of CIN in patients treated with I-3-C orally compared with placebo. The 2/16 alpha-hydroxyestrone ratio changed in a dose-dependent fashion.

J Cell Biochem Suppl. 1997;28-29:111-6.
Dose-ranging study of indole-3-carbinol for breast cancer prevention.

Wong GY, Bradlow L, Sepkovic D, Mehl S, Mailman J, Osborne MP. Strang Cancer Prevention Center, New York, New York 10021, USA.

Sixty women at increased risk for breast cancer were enrolled in a placebo-controlled, double-blind dose-ranging chemoprevention study of indole-3-carbinol (I3C). Fifty-seven of these women with a mean age of 47 years (range 22-74) completed the study. Each woman took a placebo capsule or an I3C capsule daily for a total of 4 weeks; none of the women experienced any significant toxicity effects. The urinary estrogen metabolite ratio of 2-hydroxyestrone to 16 alpha-hydroxyestrone, as determined by an ELISA assay, served as the surrogate endpoint biomarker (SEB). Perturbation in the levels of SEB from baseline was comparable among women in the control © group and the 50, 100, and 200 mg low-dose (LD) group. Similarly, it was comparable among women in the 300 and 400 mg high-dose (HD) group. Regression analysis showed that peak relative change of SEB for women in the HD group was significantly greater than that for women in the C and LD groups by an amount that was inversely related to baseline ratio; the difference at the median baseline ratio was 0.48 with 95% confidence interval (0.30, 0.67). No other factors, such as age and menopausal status, were found to be significant in the regression analysis. The results in this study suggest that I3C at a minimum effective dose schedule of 300 mg per day is a promising chemopreventive agent for breast cancer prevention. A larger study to validate these results and to identify an optimal effective dose schedule of I3C for long-term breast cancer chemoprevention will be necessary.

#4 shuffleup

• Topic Starter
  • 160 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 01:17 AM

Thanks for the info! I appreciate it.

Thes studies were on I3C and I've been reading up on some where DIM was used. Suggestions on I3C vs. DIM as the preferred treatment I haven't found conclusive. Any thoughts? DIM seems to be more direct whereas I3C converts to some other substances.

Thanks again for the suggestions. She's not too big on multivitamins but I'm going to get her on some as well as some antioxidants.

#5 neuroenhanced

• 63 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 03:48 AM

Hmm. Several studies on I3C including a 4 year study or DIM (I can't find much if any good human studies). I'd stick with I3C.

#6 Knowledge Is Powre

• 15 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 01:22 PM

I'm bumping this for updates, news, current thoughts or advice. I just found out that my wife and I are in the exact same scenario.

#7 zen

• 138 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 02:24 PM

I'm bumping this for updates, news, current thoughts or advice. I just found out that my wife and I are in the exact same scenario.

Inovio Pharmaceuticals is working on DNA vaccine (VGX-3100) to treat cervical dysplasia.
The PIII trial is expected to start in early 2016, more info here: www.inovio.com/products/cancer-vaccines/hpv/cervical-dysplasia

#8 Knowledge Is Powre

• 15 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 07:04 PM

Thats good to know, it happens to a lot more women than I realized. We are going with an all natural vitamin style cure for now after having read a lot of testimonials of other women who have cured themselves by loading up on strict regimen.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#9 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 April 2015 - 01:28 AM

There's some minor evidence that Low-Dose Naltrexone might be preventative against the development some cancers. I'd take it with a grain of salt, but it could be worth looking into and isn't that expensive to try. Apothecary Options charges $70 for 100 4.5mg capsules shipped.

• unsure x 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users