Photo
- - - - -

Rhodiola- my first experience

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 boily

• 171 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 11:29 AM

I've been taking rhodiola for 10 days, 1 cap on empty stomach in the morning - NOW brand 500mg 3%. The first day I got done 3 times the amount of yard work I would have thought normally possible. I had motivation like you wouldn't believe. I basically worked dawn to dusk. Is this a common experience with rhodiola? I also began a few other new supplements on the same day that I had recieved from I-herb: green tea extract, benfotiamine, na-rala and taurine. The following days the effect was still there but has levelled off somewhat. I've noticed that nothing can get me mentally stressed now.
Anyone else had similar rhodiola experiences?
I noticed from some of the personal regimens that rhodiola doses are smaller and more spaced. Is 500mg too much at one time? Should rhodiola be taken everyday? Does a tolerance build up and the effect diminish? Any other ideas for Rhodiola?

Thanks for any info! [lol]

#2 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 02:16 PM

It's good to hear about your positive result. This so-called result should and hopefully will become a part of your everyday functioning Shane.

Rhodiola is a great supplement and what is termed an "adaptogen". Adaptogens traditionally help one deal with both physiological and psychological stresses that may be encountered on a day to day basis. The way in which the adaptogen does this is very interesting. All is explained in the following monograph about Rhodiola. A monograph is basically an in's and out's of a particular compound. The below monographs should be fairly easy to read.....

Rhodiola Monograph

The green tea extract could have added to the pick me up.

Have a read of the monograph Boily.

Some more good reads however a little heavier with the science jargon

Phytother Res. 2007 Jan;21(1):37-43.

Adaptogenic and central nervous system effects of single doses of 3% rosavin and 1% salidroside Rhodiola rosea L. extract in mice.

* Perfumi M,
        * Mattioli L.

Department of Experimental Medicine and Public Health, University of Camerino, Via Scalzino 3, 62032 Camerino (MC), Italy.

Rhodiola rosea L., or 'golden root', is a popular plant in traditional medicine in Eastern Europe and Asia, with a reputation for improving depression, enhancing work performance, eliminating fatigue and treating symptoms of asthenia subsequent to intense physical and psychological stress. Due to these therapeutic properties, R. rosea is considered to be one of the most active adaptogenic drugs. To confirm and extend results obtained in the few preclinical and clinical studies available in English language journals, the purpose of the present study was to re-investigate the effects produced by a single oral administration of an R. rosea hydroalcohol extract (containing 3% rosavin and 1% salidroside) on the central nervous system in mice. The extract was tested on antidepressant, adaptogenic, anxiolytic, nociceptive and locomotor activities at doses of 10, 15 and 20 mg/kg, using predictive behavioural tests and animal models. The results show that this R. rosea extract significantly, but not dose-dependently, induced antidepressant-like, adaptogenic, anxiolytic-like and stimulating effects in mice. This study thus provides evidence of the efficacy of R. rosea extracts after a single administration, and confirms many preclinical and clinical studies indicating the adaptogenic and stimulating effects of such R. rosea extracts. Moreover, antidepressant-like and anxiolytic-like activities of R. rosea were shown in mice for the first time.
    PMID: 17072830 [PubMed - in process]

Trends Neurosci. 2006 Sep 23;

Neurohormetic phytochemicals: low-dose toxins that induce adaptive neuronal stress responses.

* Mattson MP,
        * Cheng A.

Laboratory of Neurosciences, National Institute on Aging Intramural Research Program, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA.

Diets rich in vegetables and fruits are associated with reduced risk of several major diseases, including neurodegenerative disorders. Although some beneficial phytochemicals might function solely as antioxidants, it is becoming clear that many of the beneficial chemicals in vegetables and fruits evolved as toxins (to dissuade insects and other predators) that, at subtoxic doses, activate adaptive cellular stress-response pathways in a variety of cells including neurons. Examples of such 'preconditioning' or 'neurohormesis' pathways include those involving cell-survival signaling kinases, the transcription factors NRF2 and CREB, and histone deacetylases of the sirtuin family. In these ways, neurohormetic phytochemicals such as resveratrol, sulforaphanes and curcumin might protect neurons against injury and disease by stimulating the production of antioxidant enzymes, neurotrophic factors, protein chaperones and other proteins that help cells to withstand stress. Thus, as we discuss in this review, highly conserved longevity and survival pathways in neurons are the targets of many phytochemicals.

PMID: 17000014 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 January 2007 - 05:23 PM

500mg is too much imo....you def will have some sort of tolerance/downregulation issue

200mg is enough to produce the desired results for most people, but just like every other substance that effects neurotransmiters, tolerance happens. 3-4 weeks on, 1 week off is a good idea...

ive been doing 4 DAYS on 3 DAYS off... and that seems to work well for me

#4 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 05:31 PM

500mg is too much imo....you def will have some sort of tolerance/downregulation issue

I have never heard of any type of downregulation or tolerance developing with Rhodiola.

Can you demonstrate this ajnast4r?

#5 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 January 2007 - 05:44 PM

I have never heard of any type of downregulation or tolerance developing with Rhodiola.

Can you demonstrate this ajnast4r?

only with my own experience, nothing on paper

#6 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 05:53 PM

Cheers

#7 boily

• Topic Starter
  • 171 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 10:16 AM

Zoolander: Thanks for the reply, had a read of the monograph and found it interesting indeed. It indicates many positive beneficial effects, definately worth taking. It does suggest breaks from it though, and 500mg seems like a huge dose. Easy to read the monograph, thanks.

ajnast4r: Thanks for telling of your experience. Think I will cycle it, and see how it goes, at the moment I'm happy to take some each day and enjoy the extra productivity it seems to produce.

ajnast4r you seem to be a fan of rhodiola.... What effect does it give you? Do you feel the difference on your days off?

#8 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 January 2007 - 07:47 PM

ajnast4r you seem to be a fan of rhodiola.... What effect does it give you? Do you feel the difference on your days off?

i started taking it when i was trying to quit caffeine, to increase my energy levels... i never noticed any increase in energy, but i noticed a marked increase in my mood [caffeine cessation turned me into a cranky ghost]
i also noticed my ability to multitask, and my both handle stressful situations and calm down after stressful situaions was improved [all while waiting tables on busy weekend nights]

after a week or two off, i noticed a definite decrease in my mood...
my mood is a little iffy from ecstacy abuse, so i cant say everyone will react the same way... but it works for me, and its as staple.

#9 stephenszpak

• 448 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 10:52 PM

I tried rhodiola recently. No positive effect I can discern.

-Stephen

#10 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 17 January 2007 - 11:02 PM

Rhodiola itself give me more energy but also some mild anxiety. But combined with ashwagandha.....wow this combo is crazy. I'm full of positive energy and i can't seem to get tired mentally. I'm currently working all day and night and was starting to get under heavy stress, but since i'm using this combo (started 7 days ago) i'm feeling like i'm having the best time of my life....it's so good ;)
I'm using 1 x LEF Rhodiola 3% 250 mg and 1 x Jarrow Sensoril Ashwaganda 8% 225 mg in the morning and in the afternoon or evening.

#11 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 12:24 AM

Rhodiola itself give me more energy but also some mild anxiety. But combined with ashwagandha.....wow this combo is crazy. I'm full of positive energy and i can't seem to get tired mentally. I'm currently working all day and night and was starting to get under heavy stress, but since i'm using this combo (started 7 days ago) i'm feeling like i'm having the best time of my life....it's so good ;)
I'm using 1 x LEF Rhodiola 3% 250 mg and 1 x Jarrow Sensoril Ashwaganda 8% 225 mg in the morning and in the afternoon or evening.

How would you compare the rhodiola/ashwagandha vs. deprenyl for work-related matters?

#12 the big b

• 146 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 04:59 AM

Has this affected your sleep in any way?

#13 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 January 2007 - 02:44 PM

i switch up between a rhodiola/ashwagandha combo, and regular rhodiola...

the combo, mixed with caffeine, on an empty stomach... can produce some pretty serious euphoria for me. akin to smoking pot or a low dose of mdma

rhoidiola has never affected my sleep, even when taken as late as 5pm... but ive heard for some people it can

#14 boily

• Topic Starter
  • 171 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 08:32 PM

I've had a few days off rhodiola, and it feels as if I've still taken it, must have some sort of carry over effect? Not sure, but I'll go with the ajnast4r cycle for a while, 4 days on, 3 off......

#15 stephenszpak

• 448 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 07:13 PM

As I mentioned, I had no response to Rhodiola.

Does anyone have a possible explanation(s)?

I used gaia, which I think is a brand name.
I took several capsules, so I don't think quantity was the problem.
I heard that it works within a few hours, correct?

Thanks,

-Stephen

#16 debu

• 108 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 01:20 AM

the stuff hits me hard (motivating) and gives me major anxiety.. I'm going to try the Ashwagandha with it

#17 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 23 January 2007 - 10:09 PM

Rhodiola itself give me more energy but also some mild anxiety. But combined with ashwagandha.....wow this combo is crazy. I'm full of positive energy and i can't seem to get tired mentally. I'm currently working all day and night and was starting to get under heavy stress, but since i'm using this combo (started 7 days ago) i'm feeling like i'm having the best time of my life....it's so good :)

How would you compare the rhodiola/ashwagandha vs. deprenyl for work-related matters?

I made a mistake in my post, i use 2 x Ashwaganda caps 2 x per day (4 caps total).

I'm currently (this and next month) under a huge amount of work, working 20h a day. This induces a great stress, so even if i planned to start deprenyl when winter comes i decided not to. I'm type of person who works best when under a load, but constant load brings stress which isn't good. Taking deprenyl at this time could make me more stressful so i decided rhodiola/ashwaganda combo. It keeps my energy levels up and makes me more calm, resistant to stress but not sedated. As for physical energy I think rhodiola works better than deprenyl, but for mental capacity deprenyl is definetly better (i can work 24/7 with clear mind).
When you need mental capacity and motivation deprenyl is better choice, but when you're under a lot of stress rhodiola/ashagandha is definitely a better combo. I'll probably try to combine these sometimes and then i'll report effects.

Has this affected your sleep in any way?

I'd say i sleep better with ashwaganda (rhodiola itself is not that good for sleep, but ashwaganda makes it great).

#18 ora101

• 30 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 08:15 AM

As I mentioned, I had no response to Rhodiola.

Does anyone have a possible explanation(s)?

I used gaia, which I think is a brand name.
I took several capsules, so I don't think quantity was the problem.
I heard that it works within a few hours, correct?

Thanks,

-Stephen

No, it can take from a few days to a few weeks.

#19 stephenszpak

• 448 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 03:01 PM

ora101

That is the opposite that I read at another post. I guess
everyone is different.

-Stephen

#20 aisha777

• 5 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 02:04 AM

Hi Boily,

I am glad you are enjoying the rhodiola rosea! It helps me with energy on long days. I don't suffer from depression, but it also seems to help with mood stabilization. In fact, I often give it to my smoking cessation hypnosis clients to help them "take the edge off." In that respect it's good for PMS sufferers too. Because it helps with energy (among other things), I sell a lot to hair dressers and barristas who are on their feet all day and have to wake up early. I find it synergizes with coffee so you don't need as much caffeine.

I have tried a bunch of brands and they aren't all created equally. I didn't like the NOW brand at all. I burped it up all day which was not fun.

I sell an excellent rhodiola rosea extract that is in 20 gm powder form so you get more for your money and you don't burp up the fine powder in the capsules. With the powder and scoop and you can also discover your exact workable dose.

I have quite a few client reviews of rhodiola rosea and how they each used it on my web site. In fact, there is even one audio testimonial. Check them out if you want.

All the best in health,

Aisha Kessler, C.Ht.
Wellspring Hypnosis
Austin TX

Edited by chrono, 12 October 2010 - 03:56 AM.
removed commercial link

#21 aisha777

• 5 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 02:14 AM

Hi Stephen,

> As I mentioned, I had no response to Rhodiola.

> Does anyone have a possible explanation(s)?

As I said in another post here, the rhodiola is highly variable depending on the brand. I tried a lot of them before I found one that I liked. Some of them would give me energy but no mood enhancment, or vice versa. The one I settled with has a nice sparkle to it and helps with memory and concentration too. I am very pleased.

It should work within 2-3 days. It doesn't hit you over the head though. It's more subtle. You will be going about your business and realize you are whistling and feeling good and energized. And then you realize you took rhodiola rosea. It's not a jittery energy like caffeine is. It's more like the way you feel after a good night's sleep with pleasant dreams.

The dose is also important and variable depending on the individual. I have found people who are hard heads need up to 3 times more than lightweights who are normally very sensitive to supplements and drugs.

All the best in health,

Aisha Kessler, C.Ht.
Wellspring Hypnosis
Austin TX

Edited by chrono, 12 October 2010 - 03:55 AM.
removed commercial link

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#22 world33

• 214 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 January 2018 - 03:05 AM

According to this 2015 UK research "The authenticity and quality of Rhodiola rosea products" available at https://www.scienced...003189?via=ihub

Now Foods (#24, US) and Higher Nature (#10) / Vitano (#11) both manufactured from a German company called Dr. Willmar Schwabe GmbH are the supplements with the highest content of rosavins (PC1) and salidrosides (PC2) (see chart) among 40 products (see attached word document with the modified list including brand names of the best products) available in the UK market (see picture with basket of products)

1-s2.0-S0944711315003189-gr2.jpg
1-s2.0-S0944711315003189-fx1_lrg.jpg

Attached Files

• Informative x 2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users