• Create Account

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

The Coalition to Extend Life

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 live4ever

Posted 21 January 2007 - 08:25 PM

First of all, I want to thank the people who created and maintain this website for a job well done. It is an invaluable tool in the Indefinite Life Extension Movement that must not be allowed to whither away.

I know how hard it is to build an organization. I have started The Coalition to Extend Life (CoalitionToExtendLife.org), the first overtly political organization that is lobbying on Capitol Hill to create federal support and draw national attention to our cause.

Attached File  coal2.png   89.08KB   1 downloads
http://coalitiontoextendlife.org/

We advocate a “War on Aging” that hopefully will focus attention and federal funding for immortality research. It is appalling that our elected officials know nothing about this issue. Life Extension is not even a blip on the political radar screen.

This is a situation that must change! If we are to succeed we must be politically organized. This issue, in many ways, can be perceived as a threat to religion, raises many fiscal and environmental concerns, and will alter the way we perceive life, so opposition to it will be strong. It will make the brouhaha over stem cell research appear as a friendly conversation.

C.E.L. supported and worked for the passage of H.R.3, the stem cell bill that recently passed in The House of Representatives. We are a presence in the halls of Congress and will continue to expand our activities.

It is important for our supporters to become involved politically. Registering to vote, signing a petition, or sending e-mails to your congressman are easy things to do and their impact will be felt.

There is much more that can be done as well. The 2008 Presidential Elections are just around the corner and now is the time to get started!

If you have any comments, evaluations, thoughts, or questions, please contact me anytime.

Tom Mooney
Exec. Dir. C.E.L.

#2 Ghostrider Re: The Coalition to Extend Life

Posted 22 January 2007 - 07:20 AM

Welcome Tom. You forgot to post the website, although it was an easy Google find. I am glad to see some political presence as it will be necessary for funding.

http://www.coalition...e.org/index.php

sponsored ad

#3 ilia Re: The Coalition to Extend Life

Posted 23 January 2007 - 12:22 PM

A fantastic initiative!
Can you tell more about this group (number of members at present? recent actions?) Or is it just a starter?
Welcome!

#4 live4ever Re: The Coalition to Extend Life

Posted 12 February 2007 - 01:03 AM

We are a very new organization. But because of our unique initiatives and growing political force, initial response has been excellent. Many people, from as far away as France and England have inquired how they can be involved, and countless others have joined C.E.L., aware that a massive movement will be necessary to generate the social, political, and financial support needed to achieve significant life extension in our life time.

We have recently created an online petition at: http://www.petitiono...L/petition.html

We greatly appreciate all the support we receive and are excited to start making some major changes on Capitol Hill!

Thanks,
Tom

#5 Bruce Klein Re: The Coalition to Extend Life

Posted 12 February 2007 - 02:16 AM

Petition signed... thanks Tom.

If not already, you'll want to contact Dan Perry (located in DC)
http://www.agingrese...t/dan_perry.cfm
DPerry -at- agingresearch.org

#6 Karomesis Re: The Coalition to Extend Life

Posted 12 February 2007 - 02:39 AM

kick some political ass Tom [thumb]

just when I thought my sunday couldn't get any better, there is yet another reason to be optimistic.

petition=signed. :)

[:o] just 3 sigs? c'mon guys, let's all sign this thing :)

#7 live4ever Re: The Coalition to Extend Life

Posted 16 February 2007 - 05:49 PM

Thanks for the enthusiasm and support! It is difficult to gain support since so many people are still in the dark about this issue. Luckily the followers we do have are committed and excited, so I'm confident that once we get the ball rolling, we will pick up speed quickly and be able to sustain it with ease.

Keep up the good work and tell all your friends!

#8 Aegist Re: The Coalition to Extend Life

Posted 24 February 2007 - 09:49 AM

Hi Tom,
I have started a similar push for support. I think you will appreciate what the community here at ImmInst is capable of, particularly as we start to push the recruitment and the commitment to our goals.

I think the petition is a good idea, and incidently enough I have recently suggested a similar idea as part of another campaign I am driving: http://www.imminst.o...80

I think having concurrent signature gathering could be beneficial.

I hope to see you around ImmInst more.

Shane

#9 Joseph Re: The Coalition to Extend Life

Posted 25 February 2007 - 09:50 AM

Incredible... You just made my day!

Petition signed.

#10 Joseph Re: The Coalition to Extend Life

Posted 25 February 2007 - 09:54 PM

Ok, this is disappointing... there are 281 views of this thread as of (Feb 25, 3:56pm) and only 16 people have signed?

I think we need to make mirror thread titled "SIGN SIGN SIGN" in a few of the more popular posting areas... what do you guys say?

#11 Aegist Re: The Coalition to Extend Life

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:04 PM

I think part of the reason for that joseph is because, and I don't mean to offend live4ever here or say anything bad about what he is trying to do, but why I think people are not signing is simply because there is nothing on the site but a petition and adsense. It could be seen as a sneaky attempt to make money from a worthwhile cause without really offering anything beneficial to that cause.

Having an ImmInst petition would hold a lot more power, and would attract a lot more signatures. The power of a 'not-for-profit' organisation is undersestimated.

I have been torn by this myself. Since I have started 'internet marketing' as a way of making some extra money, I have wondered how I could make money from my desire to promote immortality. I mean, I am going to spend a lot of my time doing this anyway, telling people about it and trying to have people involve themselves in it, if I could make money while doing that, then maybe I could do it full time! But the second I put adsense or an affiliate link on the page, I feel like I am selling out, and people will just assume that I only made the page to make money.

Thats why I have chosen to push all of my longevity promotion through ImmInst, because everyone knows that it is all for the promotion of longevity research alone, and nothing for me. I'll just have to make money through other means.

#12 Joseph Re: The Coalition to Extend Life

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:33 PM

I was thinking along similar lines, but only because his initiative is in its infintile stages. Nevertheless, if we do not see considerable growth in the number of signitures on his petition in the next couple of weeks, we should start one here, maybe at: www.imminst.org/petition

I think that it is something that would both serve as a content boost, and a confirmation of our presence.

#13 Aegist Re: The Coalition to Extend Life

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:46 PM

Well, i think we will be starting a petition of sorts anyway. But there is no reason why they can't run parallel and both be taken into consideration individually.

#14 chubtoad Re: The Coalition to Extend Life

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:47 PM

Excellent, thank you Tom.

#15 opales Re: The Coalition to Extend Life

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:58 PM

yes it's a great iniative. though I suppose it is only for people in the US to sign, no?

#16 dnamechanic Re: The Coalition to Extend Life

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:18 PM

opales - yes it's a great iniative. though I suppose it is only for people in the US to sign, no?

Hi opales,

Tom provided an answer to a similar question for me, so I will pass it on as sort of a paraphrased version:

This petition is for everyone to sign regardless of their place of origin. It is important to develop a movement that is worldwide. Certainly many of the signatories will be from the United States. Opinionmakers, politicians, media people etc. generally require that a substantial constituency exists before such a movement as this will be acted upon.

So opales, I support this effort.

For those interested in Tom Mooney's background:

He provided this:

"I would be more than willing to answer any questions that people have about me. Briefly, I have been involved in politics and law for a long time. I served in the Maryland General Assembly for eight years, was a nominee for Governor in 1978, practiced law, and I was a columnist for over ten years. That is merely a perfunctory biography and I would be glad to elaborate at your convenience."

I hope that all ImmInst readers seriously consider this effort.

If anyone has a problem with this, please make the problem known.

Tom is reaching out in a most important area, he deserves my support.

#17 Aegist Re: The Coalition to Extend Life

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:40 PM

For those interested in Tom Mooney's background:

He provided this:

"I would be more than willing to answer any questions that people have about me. Briefly, I have been involved in politics and law for a long time. I served in the Maryland General Assembly for eight years, was a nominee for Governor in 1978, practiced law, and I was a columnist for over ten years.  That is merely a perfunctory biography and I would be glad to elaborate at your convenience."

I hope that all ImmInst readers seriously consider this effort. 

If anyone has a problem with this, please make the problem known. 

Tom is reaching out in a most important area, he deserves my support.

Thanks for that dnamechanic,
That is really good to know. I think there is an important point here: political support is definitely an incredibly important thing, and having someone with experience in politics on our side should definitely be supported. However I do think that more would be achieved by working as a single organisation with a single goal rather than having every person who wants to do something starting their own indepenedent movement.

#18 Shannon Vyff Re: The Coalition to Extend Life

• yes

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:43 PM

Thank You! This rocks! Way to go.. and may it grow!

I'll pass around this link too....

#19 reason Re: The Coalition to Extend Life

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:53 PM

I seem to recall this mentioned late last year:

http://www.fightagin...ives/000958.php
http://www.imminst.o...&t=12267&hl=&s=

#20 123456 Re: The Coalition to Extend Life

Posted 26 February 2007 - 12:01 AM

Signed. :)
I implore everyone, including non-member visitors to Imminst, to sign the petiton.

#21 Aegist Re: The Coalition to Extend Life

Posted 26 February 2007 - 12:06 AM

I seem to recall this mentioned late last year:

http://www.fightagin...ives/000958.php
http://www.imminst.o...&t=12267&hl=&s=

If this recieved so much attention late last year, why were there only 3 signatures at the beginning of this thread?

That is odd.

#22 Aegist Re: The Coalition to Extend Life

Posted 26 February 2007 - 12:21 AM

I really think the push for longevity promotion needs to be tackled, initially, from a purely medical research vantage. Immortality, eternal youth need be left right out of it at first, even lfiespan extension is dodgy at best.

We need to start by promoting extension of healthy lifespan (that is, explain that science will make it so that you can still feel like a 30 year old after you retire until you die). Then when that is accepted as a possibility, we then start to move on to rthe possibility of perpetuating that state, and then when that is accepted, then we won't even need to mention immortlity, it will just happen.

I think I need a new thread to bring this point up in, because it is something i am really struggling with in about 5 or 6 different promotional threads atm.

#23 dnamechanic Re: The Coalition to Extend Life

Posted 26 February 2007 - 01:36 PM

Aegist - If this recieved so much attention late last year, why were there only 3 signatures at the beginning of this thread?

Reasonable question Aegist,

To my knowledge the first time the petition signature request was made public was by Tom at his second post in this thread:

live4ever - We have recently created an online petition at: http://www.petitiono...L/petition.html

#24 Aegist Re: The Coalition to Extend Life

Posted 26 February 2007 - 11:29 PM

The other thread mentions the goal of collecting 1,000,000 signatures... Maybe the goal was stated back then, but the actual option to sign was only started recently?

I wish Tom would actually reply himself a little, it would save the guesswork.

#25 dnamechanic Re: The Coalition to Extend Life

Posted 28 February 2007 - 04:25 PM

Can you digg it?

#26 live4ever Re: The Coalition to Extend Life

Posted 02 April 2007 - 06:44 PM

Briefly, I want to thank everyone who had signed our petition. You are making a valuable contribution to the cause of Indefinite Life Extension.

As I visit legislative offices here in Washington, I am invariable asked, "How many people support your efforts?" This is not surprising. Politicians depend on people in order to keep their job. Hence the more signatures on the petition, the greater our strength.

I am hoping that all of you will try to have more people sign it. If everyone could obtain 25 more signatures our cause would be enhanced and our credibility increased.

If you have any considerations feel free to contact me.

Tom Mooney

#27 dnamechanic Re: The Coalition to Extend Life

Posted 21 June 2007 - 06:45 PM

The following mesage was from Tom Mooney of the Coalition to Extend Life (CEL).

Your comments at the Life Extension thread would be appreciated.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know if you are familiar with the organization Unity08 but I think
they can be helpful in gaining political support for Indefinite Life
Extension and therefore I am asking for your help.

Unity08 is an attempt to choose a bi-partisan ticket for the 2008
presidential race.  It is an online endeavor to select candidates and issues
important to the American people.  As far as I am concerned, one of those
issue should be Indefinite Life Extension.

I have signed up at Unity08.com and I hope that you will also, I have
entered "Life Extension" as an issue in their "ShoutBox" where members have
the opportunity to either oppose or support it and make comments online.

The more comments generated the more credibility and recognition our
organization will receive.  Please go to http://www.unity08.com/node/1156,
register, and add your comments to the Life Extension proposal. 
There is no cost and it only takes a short time.

This is an opportunity for many people to start thinking and talking about
this issue.

Tom Mooney

Exec. Dir. C.E.L.

#28 Re: The Coalition to Extend Life

Posted 21 June 2007 - 07:43 PM

Umm someone need to delete the flood on the comments section..
All those advertising there sux

#29 dnamechanic Re: The Coalition to Extend Life

Posted 21 June 2007 - 08:04 PM

wbreeze - Umm someone need to delete the flood on the comments section..
All those advertising there sux

Yes, agreed. The admins are aware of that junk. Hopefully it will get cleared out soon.

About the junk, I assume you are referring to the petition .

As far as the Life Extension thread at Unity08, it looks pretty clean, unless I'm missing something.

Also, If anyone just wants to vote on the thread it would be helpful.

In the upper right corner is a box for the "Current Score", please go ahead and give it a "thumbs up".

Not sure if you have to be registered to do this.

There are two options at registration.

One option is ordinary registration with minimal info.

The other is become a Delegate.

The option to be a "Delegate" is not required.

You can just register normally, that allows you to post comments.

#30 komirad Re: The Coalition to Extend Life

Posted 22 June 2007 - 07:33 PM

Signed it

But it seems like there is a lot of spam on it now oo
http://www.petitiono...igned.cgi?CEL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users