• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#61 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 05:42 PM

Thanks, Anthony!

Will the 350 mg caps contain only resveratrol, or other OPCs, red wine extract,
citrus bioflavinoids, or pine bark extract and the like?

If not, are you considering producing such a product?

Just curious.

Hi, contents are Resveratrol 50% same as in the 500mg RevGenetics R500 capsules at this time, but at a lower dosage per capsule.
Price is lower in these capsules as we simply have more choices for manufacturing and encapsulation.

The higher Resveratrol 98% capsules will be available in limited supplies within a couple weeks or so, price for the encapsulated resveratrol has not been established yet, but will be around $130-$150 for 60 capsules at 350mg each. I am not sure the market is ready for these, but we will test them out.

thanks
Anthony

#62 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 09:10 PM

Yes, that's a steep price differential for the 98% purity product. Still, for those who are quite susceptible to emodin effects, it might be worth it.

As posted on the forum previously, the price/gram for Country Life and Drs' Best products may be less than RevGenetics product, and the former products contain more than just resveratrol from PC.

I expect you may soon have competition for the higher purity product as well.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#63 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 03:48 AM

The higher Resveratrol 98% capsules will be available in limited supplies within a couple weeks or so, price for the encapsulated resveratrol has not been established yet, but will be around $130-$150 for 60 capsules at 350mg each. I am not sure the market is ready for these, but we will test them out.

Wow, that's pretty steep. It works out to $6.19 to $7.14 a gram. That's double what I'm paying for pharmaceutical grade powder. Capping is certainly worth something, but not that much. I think you'll have a tough time with that product. At a buck a cap, you might have something. Is that in the realm of the possible?

#64 nosher1

• 11 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 03:43 AM

Hello,

I have a question: I am currently taking Country Life RESV, 100 mg RESV per capsule. Doctor's Best says it contains 100 mg trans-resveratrol per capsule.

The Country Life doesn't discuss how much "trans" is has. Does this mean Doctor's Best has more "trans" and is, therefore, a larger effective dose? In other words, if I want to take 5 mg/kg/day myself, would I take a different number of capsules of Country Life than Doctor's Best?

Thanks,
Norman

Edited by nosher1, 16 March 2007 - 04:01 AM.

#65 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 07:07 AM

IIRC, this question has been reportedly confirmed (although I've not seen any official, certified statement myself) CL's resveratrol tabs contain 100 mg trans- form.

#66 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 03:52 PM

Yes, that's a steep price differential for the 98% purity product.  Still, for those who are quite susceptible to emodin effects, it might be worth it.

As posted on the forum previously, the price/gram for Country Life and Drs' Best products may be less than RevGenetics product, and the former products contain more than just resveratrol from PC.

I expect you may soon have competition for the higher purity product as well.

Hi everyone,

At this point we aren't interested in adding other things to the capsules and produce our own 'proprietary formulation'. We believe this simply causes confusion and will only add value once it is known (again through studies) what really helps resveratrol in one's body. We haven't seen any conclusions that will have use add anything to the capsules as of yet.

Regarding pricing, I think I need to pull a 'Progressive' on you all, and give you a link to an excel file that I have with price comparisons between some products. Please feel free to download, and let me know what others I should add to it, even if they beat the pants off our products. I will need links to websites when I update this file, thanks.

Get Excel Here!

In the long run, it helps our company understand what pricing we should be offering, or changes to our products. Please bear with me regarding our website, we will be making some changes to it this weekend. I will probably be updating this excel sheet today and add a couple more that need to be on it.

Thanks guys

Anthony Loera
RevGenetics

#67 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 06:02 PM

Thanks for your participation in this forum, Anthony.

IMO, your input here is a terrific source of information regarding the production, supply, and technical considerations involved in supplying resveratrol as a supplement. I find your willingness to accept input from forum members quite admirable, and, I hope, productive for you and your organization as well as helpful to forum members.

#68 curious_sle

• 464 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 09:16 PM

Hey thanks to that sheet i kinda like the r350 product! :-)

But yeah, i really appreciate your contributions Anthony

#69 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 10:19 PM

Thanks Guys,

I hope to continue to ask for input on ideas and products we may consider. but I have to say you guys are really a benefit to our small organization, and I know we are lucky to get all the feedback that we have had from many of the people in this forum.

thanks again and have a great weekend!

Anthony Loera
RevGenetics.

#70 mirian

• 166 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 05:31 AM

I've called both Country Life and Doctor's Best ! They both are no more than 1.5% emodin they said. I'd go with Country Life's Resveratrol Plus at iherb.com ! It's the best deal. Especially, by the time you add in just 3 Vcaps divided daily gives you also 150mg of 95% GSE-Grape Seed Extract:

"Grape-seed extract may be the cheapest pill you can pop to help prevent a heart attack, 150mg daily for one month lowered systolic blood pressure by 13 points and diastolic by 6 points.[Mens Health Magazine, Jun. 2006, p.94]

I have emailed Country life back on Dec. 17, 2006 when it first came out and they replied saying each Vcap has 100mg of trans form resveratrol. Here's the email:

From: "Country Life Nutritionist" <nutritionist@country-life.com>
Subject: RE: 2 questions about your new Resveratrol Plus ?
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 09:48:23 -0500

Good Morning:

There is 100 mg of Trans Resveratrol in one capsule.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, December 17, 2006 8:56 PM
To: info@country-life.com
Subject: 2 questions about your new Resveratrol Plus ?

1. What´s the amount of Trans Resveratrol
guaranteed per Vcap ?

2. When will this new product of yours
be on your website ?

#71 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 11:09 AM

I've called both Country Life and Doctor's Best ! They both are no more than 1.5% emodin they said.

Their lips were moving, as they say. That's 1.4$ per capsule, which is a 500 mg capsule, containing 1.5% emodin. So the actual amount of emodin per capsule is 7.5 mg of emodin. Since the capsule contains only 100 milligrams of resveratrol, you are actually getting more emodin than you think. The actual emodin content of the 50% Polygonum extract they are using is around 3 or 4%, which is actually a pretty good spec.

More than 15 mg of emodin has a laxative effect on most people, and over 25 mg will make most people somewhat uncomfortable from the laxative effects. This means that if one wants to take more than 300 mg of resveratrol daily, both of these capsules are not suitable (unless one is chronically constipated, perhaps.)

I had to resort to 98% resveratrol to be able to take large doses of resveratrol, comparable to the doses Sirtris is using in phase 2 studies of their resveratrol formulation, or what Sinclair and Auwerx rodent's were given.

#72 mirian

• 166 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 01:09 AM

I agree for large doses over 300mg you should aim for 98% RSV. I'm going to email Country Life now and ask them to consider coming out with the same supplement at 98% and keep both 50% & 98% as an option.

#73 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 03:25 AM

The problem for supplement companies is that at 98%, resveratrol could be considered a drug, and the FDA could stop them, and the process would be costly. A few small companies specializing in resveratrol are offering 98% extract as a powder, which is how I take about 2 g/day, in divided doses. You can PM me if you want more information on this.

I have found that the EPA has approved a knotweed extract, containing resveratrol, emodin, anthocyanins et al. for use as a fungicide on greenhouse plants, field crops and on food crops. It's considered non-toxic. Maybe I could go into business selling knotweed extract powder as an edible fungicide for houseplants. The product in the EPA sheet was a liquid containing 10% alcohol, which was further diluted before being sprayed on plants. Besides killing fungi, the leaves of the plants became greener; the chlorophyl content of the leaves increased. I infer that resveratrol increases the number of chloroplasts in plant cells the same way it increases the number of mitochondria in animal cells. However, I cannot find a pub med reference for this; it was reported in an article written from a press release.

On another note, I saw many patches of Polygonum cuspidatum (the main commercial source of resveratrol) in New Jersey this afternoon, along roads where last year there were only two patches. Some of the stands looked like jungles; the plant grows to six feet high. It is an invasive weed. At this rate, the resveratrol plant will be as big a problem in new Jersey as Kudzu is in Georgia.

I just started giving my 9 year-old dog 300 mg daily, mixed with a little butter. She was beginning to slow down noticeably, probably from incipient arthritis. The breed normally lives to 14, but becomes arthritic at age 8. I'll report back in five years on the result. :)

#74 tham

• 1,406 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 04:36 PM

I enquired from Dr's Best, and here's their reply :

" The specifications for the raw material are as follows:

Raw Material Specification

25% trans-Resveratrol
20% red wine Polyphenols
<1% emodin

From red wine matrix (Vinis vinifera) and Polygonum cuspidatum.

Therefore, the limit of detection is set at less than 1% emodin
content. All our raw material must conform to these
specifications to be below 1% emodin content. "

http://www.drbvitami...ails.asp?id=100

At 25% transresveratrol content, the knotweed extract
would be 400 mg in total. Thus an under 1% emodin
content would mean less than 4 mg per capsule ?

#75 dachshund

• 98 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 08:59 PM

Doctor's Best sources resveratrol raw material for their product from the ingredient supplier Ethical Naturals, http://www.ethicalna....com/index.html. Ethical Naturals quickly responded to an email request from me on the emodin content of their ResVinol-25™ product stating the emodin content was 2 - 3 %.

#76 tham

• 1,406 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 03:59 AM

Thanks for the info.

That would mean an emodin content of 8 to 12 mg
per capsule, enough to cause cathartic problems
for some people.

I didn't realize that emodin was such a strong cathartic. In
aloe vera, which has both aloin and emodin, it is usually
only the aloin which is the main cathartic anthraquinone
and removed, or the gel which is used for non-laxative
products, leaving the inner part of the leaf, which contains
most of the aloin, being used as a laxative.

#77 Dexchem

• 8 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 05:48 AM

Some information about emodin and rhubarb.

Emodin is a kind of active ingredient found in tradditional chinese herb rhubarb.Also some other herbs contain this chemical,for example Polygonum cuspidatum, Aloe Vera.

Rhubarb is a tradditional chinese herb.
In the tradditional chinese medicine theory,rhubarb is a cold,bitter herb.It can be used to cure fever disease,such as pharyngitisIt also has detoxification anti-virus functions.We use it to cure empyrosis.

It is generally considered a mild laxative that produces a soft stool 6-10 hours after ingestion. Rhubarb is especially well suited for children since it is very mild in action.

It is also used to treat internal pinworms and threadworms. This herb has also been used topically as a poultice or compress for boils, burns, carbuncles and wounds.

Edited by mitochondrion, 10 November 2007 - 05:59 AM.

#78 shanegfasho

• 4 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 04:31 AM

NOW foods new 200 mg resveratrol is out at thecatalog.com

Serving Size 1 Vcaps®

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
Polygonum cuspidatum Extract (Root) 400 mg*
(50% Natural Trans-Resveratrol - 200 mg)
Red Wine Extract (Alcohol-Free) 10 mg*
(vitis vinifera) (min. 30% Polyphenols)
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet

#79 browser

• Validating/Suspended
  • 319 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 05:14 AM

NOW foods new 200 mg resveratrol is out at thecatalog.com 

Serving Size 1 Vcaps®

Amount Per Serving  % Daily Value 
Polygonum cuspidatum Extract (Root)  400 mg*     
(50% Natural Trans-Resveratrol - 200 mg)       
Red Wine Extract (Alcohol-Free)  10 mg*     
(vitis vinifera) (min. 30% Polyphenols)       
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet

Perhaps you should have shown the percent. It looks like the composition of the capsule is a function of caloric intake. I didn't know that with blood / cell concentration was a function of caloric intake. So far it's been weight, amount of blood in the body as predictors of concentration / amount required.

#80 ilanso

• 155 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 06:40 AM

Longevinex stages "offense is the best defense" paper:

http://www.prweb.com...prweb568496.htm

Longevinex Issues 2008 Consumer Buying Guide; Many Resveratrol Supplements Still Fail To Provide Labeled Dosage

Suppliers of Resveratrol supplements still fail to document Sirtuin Gene activation, shelf-Life data or product purity.

San Dimas, CA (PRWEB) November 12, 2007 -- Resveratrol dietary supplements are slowly improving in quality but many brands still fall far short of providing the labeled amount of trans resveratrol, according to an independent laboratory test issued today by Longevinex®.

Among 7 other brands tested, dosage ranged from 17 to 87 percent of the labeled amount. (See accompanying chart)

I wonder which those 7 other brands were.

#81 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 03:57 PM

ConsumerLab.com states their resveratrol test report is coming "soon" FWIW.

#82 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 04:49 PM

It is marketing... and Longevinex (Pfizer) technology is limited so they need to market low amounts and justify a high price.

Longevinex stages "offense is the best defense" paper:

http://www.prweb.com...prweb568496.htm

Longevinex Issues 2008 Consumer Buying Guide; Many Resveratrol Supplements Still Fail To Provide Labeled Dosage

Suppliers of Resveratrol supplements still fail to document Sirtuin Gene activation, shelf-Life data or product purity.

San Dimas, CA (PRWEB) November 12, 2007 -- Resveratrol dietary supplements are slowly improving in quality but many brands still fall far short of providing the labeled amount of trans resveratrol, according to an independent laboratory test issued today by Longevinex®.

Among 7 other brands tested, dosage ranged from 17 to 87 percent of the labeled amount. (See accompanying chart)

I wonder which those 7 other brands were.

#83 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 05:58 PM

Hey- whaddaya know: ConsumerLabs.com resveratrol report is finally out:

1. Didn't test a huge variety of supplements (13)- no RevGenetics, NOW, etc.

2. Only looked at "resveratrol" (not trans-resveratrol) content - but state 98% of the resveratrol they found was trans-

3. Failures include Life Extension 20 mg tabs and Resvert tabs by Young Again (much less than claimed amounts of "resveratrol."

4. Jarrow, Country Life, Biotiva Transmax, Longevinex, and Swanson pass.

Edited by tintinet, 14 November 2007 - 01:41 AM.

#84 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 06:33 PM

Only looked at "resveratrol" (not trans-resveratrol) content.

Thats too bad...

A

#85 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:22 PM

Ya. I've sent them an email addressing that issue. Perhaps they will clarify.

Edit: clarified- they state 98% of the resveratrol in the supplements was trans-

Edited by tintinet, 14 November 2007 - 01:42 AM.

#86 browser

• Validating/Suspended
  • 319 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 10:42 PM

Hey- whaddaya know: ConsumerLabs.com resveratrol report is finally out:

1. Didn't test a huge variety of supplements (14)- no RevGenetics, NOW, etc.

2. Only looked at "resveratrol" (not trans-resveratrol) content.

3. Failures include Life Extension 20 mg tabs and Resvert tabs by Young Again (much less than claimed amounts of "resveratrol."

4. Jarrow, Country Life, Biotiva Transmax, Longevinex, and Swanson pass.

Sunday, November 05, 2006 2:57 PM
Hi Me,

Nice to hear from you.

Yes, Life Extension has conducted assays over time on the resveratrol product and shown that the amount per capsule meets the label claim.

Concerning the amount given to the mice, it is not always wise to assume that the same proportional amount is good for humans. Future clinical studies will determine the best human dosage.

For longer life,

Dayna Dye
Editor, Life Extension Update
ddye@lifeextension.com
LifeExtension.com
1100 West Commercial Blv
Fort Lauderdale FL 33309
954 202 7716
www.lef.org

It is the purpose of the Foundation to provide relevant information from our research and review of scientific and clinical studies to individuals and their health care providers. It is our intention to serve as a resource upon which individuals and their health care providers can draw beneficial and relevant information. There has been no patient-physician relationship established between anyone and the Foundation and Foundation employees. No one is physically examined by employees of our company and the Foundation does not intend to supplant the judgment of an individual's treating physician or substitute Foundation information for a physician's diagnosis and treatment. It is further recommended that the reader of this correspondence review the actual text of any above cited research and any other information provided and exercise their own personal and/or medical judgment. Any statements or materials have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Any products discussed are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease or health condition. We do not recommend that anyone stop taking their medication without first consulting their physician.

THIS INFORMATION (AND ANY ACCOMPANYING PRINTED MATERIAL) IS NOT INTENDED TO REPLACE THE ATTENTION OR ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN OR OTHER HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONAL. ANYONE WHO WISHES TO EMBARK ON ANY DIETARY, DRUG, EXERCISE, OR OTHER LIFESTYLE CHANGE INTENDED TO PREVENT OR TREAT A SPECIFIC DISEASE OR CONDITION SHOULD FIRST CONSULT WITH AND SEEK CLEARANCE FROM A QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONAL.

Edited by browser, 13 November 2007 - 11:25 PM.

#87 ilanso

• 155 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 06:33 AM

Here's Biotivia's 15 minutes of fame (they've passed the CL test, haven't they):

http://www.emediawir...1/emw569133.htm

Today Biotivia announced that it had succeeded in greatly improving absorption and utilization of resveratrol taken orally through application of a combination of proprietary techniques.

(PRWEB) November 13, 2007 -- In virtually all studies since 1994 on orally administered resveratrol the issue of bio availability of the compound has been highlighted as a major drawback to its effectiveness. The half life of standard resveratrol is less than 20 minutes in a person's blood stream.. Some additional benefit from resveratrol comes from the recirculation of its metabolites by the liver, unless they are blocked by Quercitin which some suppliers include in their products thinking that this ingredient will actually increase bio availability.

This problem has led many scientists to question the efficacy of most of the resveratrol supplements currently on the market. Most of the important studies have pointed out that the effects of resveratrol are highly dose dependent. The human equivalent dose for a 160-pound adult would be about 1575 milligrams of standard resveratrol to produce the health benefits noted in the Harvard mouse study. The study published in the journal Nature late last year used a dose of 364mg when adjusted for human body factors. Poor utilization of resveratrol represents a huge challenge for supplement suppliers, and more importantly, their customers seeking to replicate the dose used in the recent scientific studies on small mammals. Increasing the molecule's bio availability therefore has a huge impact on the efficacy of resveratrol when taken as a supplement.

Biotivia began investigating technologies to improve bio availability of the critical trans-resveratrol isomer one year ago in conjunction with a major university pharmacy school and a large pharmaceutical manufacturer. The breakthrough came about in September of this year.

Today the company announced that it had succeeded in greatly improving absorption and utilization of resveratrol taken orally through application of a combination of proprietary techniques. Although the exact processes are trade secrets it is known that they involve altering the physical characteristics of the raw material prior to processing, use of advanced processing and purification technologies, and the complexing of the finished product with of a small amount of a natural organic adjutant which improves the bio availability of their Bioforte and Transmax products.

Biotivia's chief research scientist, Saurabh Shah and the company founder, James Betz, have compiled a 167 page paper on current research on resveratrol's effects. The paper is available to qualified physicians and researchers upon request.

Biotivia resveratrol products, Transmax and Bioforte, are available to researchers and the public at their website, biotivia.com.

(care to second guess anyone? micronization, bioperine, grapefruit extract?)

#88 ilanso

• 155 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 06:49 AM

Just visited Biotivia's site:

Our Best Value Guarantee

TransMax is the lowest cost, highest-quality trans-resveratrol capsule available, and we guarantee it always will be. Biotivia will match or beat the price of any legitimate supplier. If you can purchase a comparable product for less simply click here to send us their offer and we will match or beat it. There is no need to compromise on quality for the sake of price.

Isn't this wonderful? No matter what breakthrough someone else makes in the future (eg producing it from corn at $10 a drum), you won't need to switch suppliers to get advantage of the super-low price. All it takes is an email :)

#89 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 04:10 PM

Yup, some of us do price matching.
It's a good way to keep our regular customers happy.

98% powder capsules manufactured outside the US without independent testing for every rsv batch.

vs

99% powder capsules manufactured in the US, and tested by a US lab every time a new rsv batch comes in...

and we still do price matching? Yes we do.

A

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#90 katzenjammer

• 292 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 04:16 PM

Yup, some of us do price matching.
It's a good way to keep our regular customers happy.

98% powder capsules manufactured outside the US without independent testing for every rsv batch.

vs

99% powder capsules manufactured in the US, and tested by a US lab every time a new rsv batch comes in...

and we still do price matching? Yes we do.

A

Hi Anthony, I assume you're referring to biotivia - isn't consumer labs independent? Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users