Photo
- - - - -

long-term effects of adderall?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 subtletactics

• 2 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 08:24 PM

Actually, take that back, if you take amphetamines and experience a psychotic episode, I'd talk to a doctor. You might be getting the wrong dosage, and all drugs are toxic at "high" doses

#32 dprice218

• Topic Starter
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 06:27 AM

wow guys, this is a great discussion

thanks so much for the links and for your own anecdotal, but very useful, information and experiences

i'm taking a break now from adderall xr and to avoid the inevitable withdrawal effects I've taken some modafinil and kept up with my coffee intake

i'm now off modafinil as well, trying to give myself a break

unfortunately i require about 3-5 cups of strong coffee to feel "normal"--it's not that I'm tired--it's that I don't feel as motivated to do homework. I'm currently in a graduate program in cognitive science so it's imperative that I do the reading

coffee seems to be the only effective substitute, but i require at least 2 cups before I feel anything

like i said, i'm not physically tired---just sort of lacking in the motivation department. i'm getting more modafinil so that should help out--i am going to stay away from adderall for at least another month though

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 brain

• 148 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 09:53 AM

From what I can understand, Meth is signifantly more dangerous on account of its effect on 5HT neurons, whereas Adderall is purely DA and NE stimulating.

Edit: also, I've found taking ALA concurrently is helpful in reducing the pronounced side effects, as well as the weird brain-cloudiness I sometimes experience.  It makes the Adderall feel "cleaner" if that makes any sense.

on the adderall monograph it says not to take vitamin C supplements as acidity and urine ph are increased which then can almost completely prevent absorbtion. on the other side, alkaline substances increase absorbtion of the non-ionized amphetamine molecule. its best to stay away from both, and i would guess that alpha lipoic acid probably increases urinary ph. in other words, it probably felt clearner because you were actually absorbing much less of it. [wis]

#34 rsnuk

• 64 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 12:48 AM

No-one ever thinks, all people are different, seriously, some people could take 30 mg of adderal for a year and be severely permanently neuro damaged, other can dose on 60mg for 5 years and suffer nowhere near the same degree of negative effects.

IMO though, all potent stimulants are neurotoxic to some degree, it might be a miniscule degree for some or dramatically large degree for others.

Trying to justify the use really can't be acheived, because there are people out there who have thier lives and minds destroyed by these things, even at prescribed dosages, methylphenidate did me in, now i've just read that someone who took adderall also suffered severely from his use.

So if the drugs are too be used, stop denying the possibility of instant death or permnanet brain damage, this is what really pisses me off about the whole thing.

If people were really made aware of the risks, rather than constantly bombarded with pharma properganda that there are none, i may not have been such a severe casulty and many lifes and minds might be saved.

Amphetamines should be taken with anti-oxidants to minimise the oxidative damage they may potensially cause, if you begin to develop tolerance, take it from me, stop the drug, let it go, it's not for you, it's not worth the dependancy which you may never get over.

Vitamin C and Alpha lipoic acid would be good options for anti-oxidants, to the above post, which i just now noticed, an increase in PH is an increase in Alkalinity, thuis Vitamin C would enhance obsorbtion no?

Anyway, stop trying to portray these dman drugs as safe they aren't they can potensially kill you, rape your soul of all joy and contentment or drain your mind and body of most of your energy and function. Then again you may be fine, but even if you fine, i'd bet you'd still become dependant in some manner.

Stop the lies about these drugs!

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#35 bluebird2

• 5 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 01:12 PM

>and are neurotoxic

Again, whether or not neurotoxicity is relevant at clinical dosages is an unresolved question.

Did I mention I no longer take stimulants, for numerous reasons? But the discussion of neurotoxicity is another thing entirely ...

Found this article on the long term effects of adderall that the op might find useful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users