L-Glutathione

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#31 AlbertN

• 42 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 10:04 PM

A couple of links to some Glutathione discussion:

Vitamin Research Group

The article is quite positive on increasing Glutathione, and has a bibliography which the article claims shows up to 80% absorption from oral sources (see references 23-26). Some of the interesting points in the article are that glutathione decreases with age, except that centenarians have very high levels. In addition in mosquitoes, it seems that increasing Glutathione levels increases longevity. Also, it seems that in mice, acetaminophen use depletes glutathione, and that this effect is more pronounced in older mice.

Also, on the last two pages of linked PDF there are graphs showing intracellular concentrations after oral supplementation in HIV patients.

I have no way of knowing how valid all the above are, but it seems that increasing glutathione, either by the precursors or directly (or both) might be a good thing to do. Now it might be that the precursors such as NAC or whey might be more cost-effective, but I haven't come across any studies that indicate how much of a boost (for how long) is achieved by them.

Albert

#32 starflightbrian

• 1 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 09:01 AM

Does anyone here supplement L-Glutathione by itself or along with NAC?  I'm already taking NAC, and I also thinking about incorporating L-Glutathione into my regimen.  What do you all think?

Thanks!

EDITED by Zoolander:

A great informative post however it went wrong

>
>
>
>
>----------------> commercial marketing

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 ortcloud

• 329 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 04:42 AM

sublingual and subQ will get it into the bloodstream but it wont pass through into the cell, which is where you want it. So you have to make it inside the cell via taking a precursor, ie. cysteine or sneaking the glutathione molecule inside the cell by a bit of trickery, like this.

http://autismcoach.c.....some Form.htm

or lipoflow makes one too,

This is the most effective way to boost intracellular glutathione , be careful with it.

#34 bixbyte

• 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:13 PM

Oxidized Glutathione helps very well for Radiation Exposure such as a Nuclear Accident.

http://www.novelos.c..... shriners.pdf

#35 bixbyte

• 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:15 PM

Oxidized Glutathione helps very well for Radiation Exposure such as a Nuclear Accident.

http://www.novelos.c..... shriners.pdf

In earlier nonclinical experiments conducted in the Russian Federation by the Russian Ministry of
Defense, groups of mice and rats were exposed to lethal levels of radiation. Treatment of animals
with NOV-002 (after exposure to radiation) resulted in a two- to three-fold increase in thirty-day
survival compared to the irradiated but untreated control animals. NOV-002 treated animals did
not experience severe neutropenia (loss of white blood cells used for fighting off infections) and
demonstrated significantly higher bone marrow cell counts than the control (bone marrow is the
source of white blood cells).

#36 unbreakable

• 313 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:38 PM

Oral Glutathione is completely useless. If you want to increase your intracellular GSH levels then take supplements like N-Acetylcysteine, undenatured Whey Protein and/or Alpha Lipoic Acid. S-Acetylglutathione may also work, but there are not many studies about this supplement. If you want to induce Phase II enzymes like Glutathione-S-Transferase for chemoprevention you may take Sulforaphane (a compound in broccoli).
  • dislike x 1

#37 s123

• Director
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 02:01 PM

I made a trip to Barnes and Noble found it in "Biochemistry" Glutathione oxidized, GSSG or the (-OH) side of the reaction.

This isn't correct. -OH is the reduced form of a molecule and =O the oxidized form.

R-OH --> R(=O)H --> R(=O)OH

Alcohol --> Aldehyde --> Carboxylic acid
-------------------->
Oxidation

Or:

R-OH (sec. alcohol) --> R=O
Sec. alcohol --> ketone
-------------------->
Oxidation

But this isn't the case in glutathione. Here's the thiol (-SH) group the reduced form and the disulfide (-S-S-) the oxidized form.

Oxidized glutathione is two molecules glutathione that are linked together by a disulfide bridge between the two cysteine amino acids.

Posted Image

There aren't any -OH groups in glutathione or oxidized glutathione except for the -OH group that is a part of the -COOH group. The -OH from the -COOH group can't be oxidized.

Edited by s123, 17 July 2007 - 09:19 PM.

#38 bixbyte

• 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 July 2007 - 04:49 AM

I looked up the Glutathione reaction in a standard college biochemistry textbook.
This reaction you posted is overcomplicated.
It is just Glutathione that is on the oxidized or spent side of the reaction.
Prior to further breakdown into simpler molecules.
Very simple to integrate this into commercial use.

Alex

#39 chelated

• 44 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 09:06 PM

This blog has a lot on http://www.ultrameta...og/glutathione/

"Choose non-pasteurized and industrially produced milk that contains no pesticides, hormones, or antibiotics. Immunocal is a prescription bioactive non-denatured whey protein that is even listed in the Physician's Desk Reference." Can anyone recommend a brand other than immonucal for this...somewhere I read that Jarrows fits this criteria is that true? Otherwise I may try to get a prescription for this immunocal as my glutathione levels have been obliterated from the drug risperdal....

#40 ortcloud

• 329 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 03:09 PM

Immunopro is more potent than immunocal and much cheaper and is the best way to go if you want to use whey, at some point you run into a limit of making glutathione via this method and then the free cysteine that is not converted becomes detrimental/toxic.

#41 chelated

• 44 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 06:16 PM

ortcloud how does one go about avoiding the toxic effect ??? If taken once daily would that produce this toxic effect?

#42 ortcloud

• 329 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 06:09 AM

It depends on the dose and your situation. ie. If you have alot of mercury it can limit your conversion. I dont think a typical dose is going to cause a problem, but beyond that you are eventually going to run into a limit of utilization and conversion into glutathione. To get levels beyond this, you would need something like liposomal glutathione, which would not require conversion, so there wouldnt be a cysteine toxicity potential. The liposomal delivers reduced glutathione intracellularly which is where you want it. The drawback is that it is expensive. With any glutathione supplementation, procede slowly. It has very strong detoxifying abilities and if you increase dose too fast you can open a pandoras box, as it will liberate toxins in your system too rapidly and can make you quite ill. Pesticides, heavy metals, even viruses. So you could herx if you have something lurking in you, ie, if you have mercury fillings etc.

#43 Lufega

• 1,810 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 December 2010 - 02:04 AM

This does seem to imply that oral glutathione is absorbed.

Glutathione as an oral whitening agent: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study.
Arjinpathana N, Asawanonda P.

Division of Dermatology, Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand.

Abstract
Abstract Objective: To determine whether orally administered glutathione, 500 mg per day for 4 weeks, affects the skin melanin index, when compared with placebo. Methods: This randomized, double-blind, two-arm, placebo-controlled study was set in the King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital, Bangkok, Thailand, a teaching hospital affiliated with a medical school. Sixty otherwise healthy medical students were randomized to receive either glutathione capsules, 500 mg/day in two divided doses, or placebo for 4 weeks. The main outcome was mean reduction of melanin indices measured at six different sites. Several secondary outcomes, including UV spots, were recorded by VISIA. Efficacies of glutathione and placebo were compared by ANCOVA with baseline values as co-variates.

Results: Sixty participants enrolled and completed the study. At 4 weeks, the melanin indices decreased consistently at all six sites in subjects who received glutathione. The reductions were statistically significantly greater than those receiving placebo at two sites, namely the right side of the face and the sun-exposed left forearm (p-values = 0.021 and 0.036, respectively). This was similarly reflected in the changes in the number of UV spots, as measured by VISIA. Both glutathione and placebo were very well tolerated. Conclusion: Oral glutathione administration results in a lightening of skin color in a small number of subjects. However, long-term safety has not been established and warrants more extensive clinical trials.

#44 tropics

• 8 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

This does seem to imply that oral glutathione is absorbed.

Glutathione as an oral whitening agent: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study.
Arjinpathana N, Asawanonda P.

Division of Dermatology, Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand.

Abstract
Abstract Objective: To determine whether orally administered glutathione, 500 mg per day for 4 weeks, affects the skin melanin index, when compared with placebo. Methods: This randomized, double-blind, two-arm, placebo-controlled study was set in the King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital, Bangkok, Thailand, a teaching hospital affiliated with a medical school. Sixty otherwise healthy medical students were randomized to receive either glutathione capsules, 500 mg/day in two divided doses, or placebo for 4 weeks. The main outcome was mean reduction of melanin indices measured at six different sites. Several secondary outcomes, including UV spots, were recorded by VISIA. Efficacies of glutathione and placebo were compared by ANCOVA with baseline values as co-variates.

Results: Sixty participants enrolled and completed the study. At 4 weeks, the melanin indices decreased consistently at all six sites in subjects who received glutathione. The reductions were statistically significantly greater than those receiving placebo at two sites, namely the right side of the face and the sun-exposed left forearm (p-values = 0.021 and 0.036, respectively). This was similarly reflected in the changes in the number of UV spots, as measured by VISIA. Both glutathione and placebo were very well tolerated. Conclusion: Oral glutathione administration results in a lightening of skin color in a small number of subjects. However, long-term safety has not been established and warrants more extensive clinical trials.

any more proof that l glutathione capsules get really absorbed? I'm looking for intracellular glutathion supplements

#45 TRUGAN

• 196 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 05:02 AM

Does anyone know if this lypospheric gluthione really works?

http://www.livonlabs...pheric-gsh.html

and if this process to make it at home is legit ?

http://www.hawkeshea...read.php?t=6456

Edited by mrwhitee, 22 May 2014 - 05:02 AM.

#46 Silba

• 18 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 01:10 AM

Glutathione is not orally bioavailable.

Is this still true 14 years later ?

Edited by Silba, 19 February 2021 - 01:10 AM.

#47 Believer

• 437 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 05:40 AM

Is this still true 14 years later ?

Yes, or you need to take many grams for even a tiny bit to get absorbed.

The good news is that DMSO can get it through your skin.

Injections work as well.

As does intranasal delivery (although it gets broken down to its constituent amino acid l-glutamate which is neurotoxic)

#48 Silba

• 18 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 06:38 AM

Yes, or you need to take many grams for even a tiny bit to get absorbed.

The good news is that DMSO can get it through your skin.

Injections work as well.

As does intranasal delivery (although it gets broken down to its constituent amino acid l-glutamate which is neurotoxic)

But what the link between DMSO and L-Glutathione ?

I took :

- N-Acétyle Cystéine (NAC) 
- Glycine.
- L-Glutamine.

Is is it ok?

If L-Glutathione does not work so why is it being sold and why are people making positive reviews on amazon ?

Edited by Silba, 19 February 2021 - 06:49 AM.

#49 Believer

• 437 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 01:11 PM

But what the link between DMSO and L-Glutathione ?

I took :

- N-Acétyle Cystéine (NAC) 
- Glycine.
- L-Glutamine.

Is is it ok?

If L-Glutathione does not work so why is it being sold and why are people making positive reviews on amazon ?

Lots of supplements sold that don't work, including GABA. That's just how it is.

Yes there are oral products that get absorbed but they're expensive and hard to get.

Just buy l-glutathione powder and dissolve it in DMSO or some skin cream and use it that way. Or get injections.

#50 Silba

• 18 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 01:53 PM

Just buy l-glutathione powder and dissolve it in DMSO or some skin cream and use it that way. Or get injections.

Where can i find intra musucular injection?

#51 Believer

• 437 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 05:41 PM

They are subQ as far as I know but Ebay, Alibaba and Amazon has it and they sell it for skin whitening

#52 Silba

• 18 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 11:11 AM

I saw this skin whitenning thing.

But cant find muscular injections so i will stick to NAC, Glycine., and L-Glutamine.

#53 Believer

• 437 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 05:55 PM

Skin whitening injections is just l-glutathione. It whitens skin so is sold for that purpose.

Alternatively I am mixing glutathione powder with dmso and using it that way on my skin. Really good for skin quality and it goes systemic.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#54 Silba

• 18 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 07:51 PM

thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users