- - - - -

Meal frequency

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 July 2007 - 08:39 AM

During weekends, when just being at home doing a little work and internet surfing, I tend to skip meals because I'm simply not that hungry. Furthermore, I had the impression that "intermittent fasting" could be beneficial.
These studies seem to suggest otherwise. If they could be interpreted in a general fashion that is. I'm not an obese female.....

Your opinions please. ;)

A controlled trial of reduced meal frequency without caloric restriction in healthy, normal-weight, middle-aged adults.

Stote KS, Baer DJ, Spears K, Paul DR, Harris GK, Rumpler WV, Strycula P, Najjar SS, Ferrucci L, Ingram DK, Longo DL, Mattson MP.

Beltsville Human Nutrition Research Center, US Department of Agriculture, Agriculture Research Service, Beltsville, MD, USA.

BACKGROUND: Although consumption of 3 meals/d is the most common pattern of eating in industrialized countries, a scientific rationale for this meal frequency with respect to optimal health is lacking. A diet with less meal frequency can improve the health and extend the lifespan of laboratory animals, but its effect on humans has never been tested. OBJECTIVE: A pilot study was conducted to establish the effects of a reduced-meal-frequency diet on health indicators in healthy, normal-weight adults. DESIGN: The study was a randomized crossover design with two 8-wk treatment periods. During the treatment periods, subjects consumed all of the calories needed for weight maintenance in either 3 meals/d or 1 meal/d. RESULTS: Subjects who completed the study maintained their body weight within 2 kg of their initial weight throughout the 6-mo period. There were no significant effects of meal frequency on heart rate, body temperature, or most of the blood variables measured. However, when consuming 1 meal/d, subjects had a significant increase in hunger; a significant modification of body composition, including reductions in fat mass; significant increases in blood pressure and in total, LDL-, and HDL-cholesterol concentrations; and a significant decrease in concentrations of cortisol. CONCLUSIONS: Normal-weight subjects are able to comply with a 1 meal/d diet. When meal frequency is decreased without a reduction in overall calorie intake, modest changes occur in body composition, some cardiovascular disease risk factors, and hematologic variables. Diurnal variations may affect outcomes.

Publication Types:
Randomized Controlled Trial
Research Support, N.I.H., Extramural
Research Support, U.S. Gov't, Non-P.H.S.

PMID: 17413096 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Beneficial metabolic effects of regular meal frequency on dietary thermogenesis, insulin sensitivity, and fasting lipid profiles in healthy obese women.

Farshchi HR, Taylor MA, Macdonald IA.

Centre for Integrated Systems Biology and Medicine, Institute of Clinical Research, School of Biomedical Sciences, Queen's Medical Centre, University of Nottingham, UK. mbxhrf@nottingham.ac.uk

BACKGROUND: Although a regular meal pattern is recommended for obese people, its effects on energy metabolism have not been examined. OBJECTIVE: We investigated whether a regular meal frequency affects energy intake (EI), energy expenditure, or circulating insulin, glucose, and lipid concentrations in healthy obese women. DESIGN: Ten women [x +/- SD body mass index (in kg/m(2)): 37.1 +/- 4.8] participated in a randomized crossover trial. In phase 1 (14 d), the subjects consumed their normal diet on 6 occasions/d (regular meal pattern) or followed a variable meal frequency (3-9 meals/d, irregular meal pattern). In phase 2 (14 d), the subjects followed the alternative pattern. At the start and end of each phase, a test meal was fed, and blood glucose, lipid, and insulin concentrations were determined before and for 3 h after (glucose and insulin only) the test meal. Subjects recorded their food intake on 3 d during each phase. The thermogenic response to the test meal was ascertained by indirect calorimetry. RESULTS: Regular eating was associated with lower EI (P < 0.01), greater postprandial thermogenesis (P < 0.01), and lower fasting total (4.16 compared with 4.30 mmol/L; P < 0.01) and LDL (2.46 compared with 2.60 mmol/L; P < 0.02) cholesterol. Fasting glucose and insulin values were not affected by meal pattern, but peak insulin concentrations and area under the curve of insulin responses to the test meal were lower after the regular than after the irregular meal pattern (P < 0.01 and 0.02, respectively). CONCLUSION: Regular eating has beneficial effects on fasting lipid and postprandial insulin profiles and thermogenesis.

Publication Types:
Clinical Trial
Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't

PMID: 15640455 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

#2 AlbertN

• 42 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 01:01 PM

One study seemed to show that intermittent fasting was good for you. It investigated different markers of health for people who observe Ramadan. It is different than one meal per day in that you don't have to cram all your calories in one sitting, but do have a period of about 15 hours where you are not allowed to eat. (I know the abstract says 12 hours, but I remember reading somewhere that the actual length of the fasts were more like 15 hours.) The study abstract is below:

Albert

Interleukin-6, C-reactive protein and biochemical parameters during prolonged intermittent fasting.

Aksungar FB, Topkaya AE, Akyildiz M.

Department of Biochemistry, Maltepe University, School of Medicine, Istanbul, Turkey. fehimebenli@gmail.com <fehimebenli@gmail.com>

BACKGROUND: It is well known that nutritional habits, sleeping patterns and meal frequency have profound effects on maintaining human health. Ramadan is a religious month for Islam, during which Muslims do not eat and drink during the daylight hours. The duration of restricted food and beverage intake is approximately 12 h/day for 1 month, which makes Ramadan a model of prolonged intermittent fasting. METHODS: In order to evaluate the effects of long-lasting modifications of food intake on inflammatory markers and biochemical parameters 40 healthy volunteers of normal weight [20 females aged between 20 and 38 years, 20 males aged between 23 and 39 years, body mass index (BMI) <25 kg/m(2)] who fasted during Ramadan and another 28 healthy age- and BMI-matched volunteers (14 males, 14 females) who did not fast participated in the study. Venous blood samples were taken 1 week before Ramadan, during the last week of Ramadan and 3 weeks after Ramadan. Serum interleukin-6 (IL-6), C-reactive protein (CRP), homocysteine, vitamin B(12), folate, total cholesterol (TC), triglycerides, low-density lipoprotein (LDL) and high-density lipoprotein (HDL) levels were measured. RESULTS: No significant changes were observed in serum total cholesterol, triglycerides and LDL levels. TC/HDL ratio (HDL risk factor) was decreased during and after Ramadan in both genders in the fasting group while there were no changes in the nonfasting group. IL-6 (p < 0.001), CRP (p < 0.001) and homocysteine (p < 0.01) levels were significantly low during Ramadan in the fasting subjects of both genders when compared to basal values (1 week before Ramadan). CONCLUSION: Our results demonstrate that prolonged intermittent fasting in a model like Ramadan has some positive effects on the inflammatory status of the body and on the risk factors for cardiovascular diseases such as homocysteine, CRP and TC/HDL ratio. Copyright 2007 S. Karger AG, Basel.

#3 Sillewater

• 1,076 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:44 PM

A controlled trial of reduced meal frequency without caloric restriction in healthy, normal-weight, middle-aged adults.

Stote KS, Baer DJ, Spears K, Paul DR, Harris GK, Rumpler WV, Strycula P, Najjar SS, Ferrucci L, Ingram DK, Longo DL, Mattson MP.

Beltsville Human Nutrition Research Center, US Department of Agriculture, Agriculture Research Service, Beltsville, MD, USA.

BACKGROUND: Although consumption of 3 meals/d is the most common pattern of eating in industrialized countries, a scientific rationale for this meal frequency with respect to optimal health is lacking. A diet with less meal frequency can improve the health and extend the lifespan of laboratory animals, but its effect on humans has never been tested. OBJECTIVE: A pilot study was conducted to establish the effects of a reduced-meal-frequency diet on health indicators in healthy, normal-weight adults. DESIGN: The study was a randomized crossover design with two 8-wk treatment periods. During the treatment periods, subjects consumed all of the calories needed for weight maintenance in either 3 meals/d or 1 meal/d. RESULTS: Subjects who completed the study maintained their body weight within 2 kg of their initial weight throughout the 6-mo period. There were no significant effects of meal frequency on heart rate, body temperature, or most of the blood variables measured. However, when consuming 1 meal/d, subjects had a significant increase in hunger; a significant modification of body composition, including reductions in fat mass; significant increases in blood pressure and in total, LDL-, and HDL-cholesterol concentrations; and a significant decrease in concentrations of cortisol. CONCLUSIONS: Normal-weight subjects are able to comply with a 1 meal/d diet. When meal frequency is decreased without a reduction in overall calorie intake, modest changes occur in body composition, some cardiovascular disease risk factors, and hematologic variables. Diurnal variations may affect outcomes.

Publication Types:
Research Support, N.I.H., Extramural
Research Support, U.S. Gov't, Non-P.H.S.

PMID: 17413096 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Was about to post this study but you beat me to it by 3 years :)

Here's another one, but I don't have access:

Nutr Rev. 2009 Oct;67(10):591-8.

Nibbling versus feasting: which meal pattern is better for heart disease prevention?
Bhutani S, Varady KA.

Department of Kinesiology, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA.

Abstract
Dietary interventions that limit saturated fat, cholesterol, and energy are generally implemented as the first line of therapy to reduce the risk of coronary heart disease (CHD). Another form of diet therapy that may be effective in protecting against CHD is altering meal frequency without limiting energy. Meal-frequency regimens are classified into two major forms: 1) feasting, i.e., consuming all energy needs in one meal/day, and 2) nibbling, i.e., consuming all energy needs in three, six, nine, 12, or 17 regimented meals/day. Whether one meal pattern, feasting or nibbling, is more effective at improving indicators of CHD risk than the other, remains unresolved. Moreover, whether a dose-dependent relationship exists between biomarker improvement and the number of meals consumed per day also remains unknown. The objective of the present review was to determine which meal pattern, nibbling or feasting, is more effective at improving key indicators of CHD risk in normal-weight and obese, non-diabetic individuals.

PMID: 19785690 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

I've always used IF to decrease my caloric intake but it seems in the first study that's not needed to decrease fat mass (but decreased caloric intake is beneficial for LE purposes). The only thing is that the sample sizes are fairly small. I can't wait till they do a bigger study.

Edited by Sillewater, 30 June 2010 - 08:44 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:24 PM

I've written about the meal frequency study on my blog once upon a time:

Intermittent Fasting with a Condensed Eating Window – Part I: Poorer Insulin Sensitivity and Glucose Tolerance?

Intermittent Fasting with a Condensed Eating Window – Part II: Blood Pressure, Body Weight & Cholesterol

Intermittent Fasting with a Condensed Eating Window – Part III: Fasting Blood Glucose, Cortisol & Conclusion

#5 James Cain

• Guest, F@H
  • 229 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:44 PM

I can post the full text in the members-only section if anyone is interested. I just read it, and it goes along with just about every blog and forum review of the subject. In short, one meal vs. many results in greater total, HDL, and LDL cholesterol, with no data regarding apolipoproteins. Thermogenic effect of feeding, nitrogen balance, BMI, body composition, et. cetera data are mixed, but seem to average out over 24-hours with proper adaptation to the prescribed meal frequency. You only get into trouble with any CHD risk factors when you eat too many carbs in that meal, in which case the huge glucose and insulin response offsets any benefits of eating once per day. Reliable blood pressure data isn't available, and the data in general across the reviewed studies is very inconsistent because there's no standardized methods, be that time of taking measurements, calorie content, BMI, and so on. I really respect Krista Varady based on her prior pubs, but the final conclusion doesn't match with their in-text conclusions, and takes a very loose "nibbling is likely better for CHD risk" stance, probably to get it published.

#6 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:28 PM

Supercentinarians appear to eat OMAD.

"The best time to get DNA from a supercentinarian, Mr. Clement found, is midmorning.  By lunchtime, they would prefer to be eating.  After lunch, they might be groggy or napping."  

Harmon, A. (2017). The Secret to Long Life? It May Lurk in the DNA of the Oldest Among UsNytimes.com. Retrieved 14 November 2017, from https://www.nytimes....-longevity.html

#7 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:21 PM

I am now on the condensed eating schedule for most days. Eat during a time span of about 6 to 7 hours, fasting during the other 17 to 18 hours.

However, this is not what I WANT to do. Like most everyone else, I would rather eat as I please and indulge a little more often, and then have some cheap effective rejuvenation treatments to clean up the damage later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users