Photo
- - - - -

Resveratrol + rats + healthy brains

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 JonesGuy

• 1,183 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 11:12 PM

I'm not really keeping up on Resveratrol and its analogues.

When a rat is placed into a more complex/exciting environment, the rat's brain becomes more healthy (increased connections, density, etc.). I wonder if a study has been done, where you put rats into a better environment while on resveratrol and compare it to rats with just a better environment?

I'd like to know if we can expect later-life learning to be hurt or helped by resveratrol and its analogues.

#2 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 02:40 AM

I recall a study in which young rats learned mazes faster when given resveratroll, but I'm too sleepy to search for it oon Pub Med right now.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 JonesGuy

• Topic Starter
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 11:50 AM

I see pubmeds for protective effects vs. caused diseases and poisons; which is excellent. However, I'm concerned about a reduction in learning ability by older people.

#4 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 01:31 PM

1: Life Sci. 2002 Oct 11;71(21):2489-98.Click here to read Links
Chronic treatment with trans resveratrol prevents intracerebroventricular streptozotocin induced cognitive impairment and oxidative stress in rats.
Sharma M, Gupta YK.

Neuropharmacology Laboratory, Department of Pharmacology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India.

We have recently shown free radical generation is associated with cognitive impairment in intracerebroventricular (ICV) streptozotocin (STZ) model of sporadic dementia of Alzheimer's type in rats. Trans resveratrol is a polyphenolic compound and is known to have antioxidant activity. In the present study, the effect of trans resveratrol was investigated on ICV STZ induced cognitive impairment and oxidative stress in rats. Adult male Wistar rats were injected with ICV STZ bilaterally, on day 1 and day 3. The learning and memory behavior was assessed using passive avoidance paradigms, elevated plus maze and the closed field activity test while the parameters of oxidative stress assessed were malondialdehyde [MDA] and glutathione. The rats were treated with trans resveratrol chronically at doses of 10 and 20 mg/kg,i.p. for 21 days starting from day 1 of STZ injection. Trans resveratrol treatment significantly prevented ICV STZ induced cognitive impairment. There was a rise in brain glutathione and an insignificant increase in brain MDA in trans resveratrol treated ICV STZ rats as compared to significantly elevated brain MDA levels in the vehicle treated ICV STZ animals. The study demonstrates the effectiveness of trans resveratrol in preventing the cognitive deficits as well as the oxidative stress caused by ICV STZ in rats and it's potential in the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's disease.

#5 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 01:32 PM

1: Pharmacology. 2007;79(1):17-26. Epub 2006 Nov 28.Click here to read Links
Neuroprotective effects of resveratrol against intracerebroventricular colchicine-induced cognitive impairment and oxidative stress in rats.
Kumar A, Naidu PS, Seghal N, Padi SS.

Pharmacology Division, University Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Panjab University, Chandigarh, India. kumaruips@yahoo.com

Alzheimer's disease is a complex and multifactorial neurodegenerative disease. Central administration of colchicine, a microtubule-disrupting agent, causes loss of cholinergic neurons and cognitive dysfunction that is associated with excessive free radical generation. The present study was aimed at evaluating the effects of trans-resveratrol in the prevention of colchicine-induced cognitive impairment and oxidative stress in rats. Intracerebroventricular administration of colchicine (15 microg/5 microl) induced impaired cognitive functions in both the Morris water maze task and the elevated plus-maze task. Chronic treatment with resveratrol (10 and 20 mg/kg, p.o.) for a period of 25 days, beginning 4 days prior to colchicine injection, significantly improved the colchicine-induced cognitive impairment. Intracerebroventricular colchicine injection resulted in free radical generation characterized by alterations in oxidative stress markers with a significant increase in malondialdehyde (MDA) and nitrite levels and depletion of reduced glutathione (GSH) activity in the rat brains. It also showed a significant decrease in acetylcholinesterase activity. Besides improving cognitive dysfunction, chronic administration of resveratrol significantly reduced the elevated MDA and nitrite levels and restored the depleted GSH and acetylcholinesterase activity. Results of the present study indicated that trans-resveratrol has a neuroprotective role against colchicine-induced cognitive impairment and associated oxidative stress. Copyright © 2007 S. Karger AG, Basel.

PMID: 17135773 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

#6 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 01:34 PM

1: Behav Pharmacol. 2006 Sep;17(5-6):485-92.Click here to read Links
Effect of resveratrol on 3-nitropropionic acid-induced biochemical and behavioural changes: possible neuroprotective mechanisms.
Kumar P, Padi SS, Naidu PS, Kumar A.

Pharmacology Division, University Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Punjab University, Chandigarh, India.

Huntington's disease is a progressive, degenerative disease characterized by abnormal body movements called chorea, and a reduction of various mental abilities. 3-Nitropropionic acid, an inhibitor of complex II of the electron transport chain, causes Huntington's disease-like symptoms in rodents. Recently, it has been reported that oxidative stress, which is one of the pathological hallmarks of various neurodegenerative disorders, also plays an important role in the pathogenesis of Huntington's disease. The present study was designed to investigate effects of resveratrol, an antioxidant with cyclooxygenase I inhibitory activity, in the 3-nitropropionic acid-induced model of Huntington's disease. Intraperitoneal administration of 3-nitropropionic acid (20 mg/kg for 4 days) caused significant loss of body weight, a decline in motor function (locomotor activity, movement pattern and vacuous chewing movements) and poor retention of memory. Repeated treatment with resveratrol (5 and 10 mg/kg, orally), once daily for a period of 8 days beginning 4 days prior to 3-nitropropionic acid administration, significantly improved the 3-nitropropionic acid-induced motor and cognitive impairment. Biochemical analysis revealed that systemic 3-nitropropionic acid administration significantly increased lipid peroxidation, nitrite levels, and depleted reduced glutathione levels, and decreased succinate dehydrogenase activity in the brains of rats. The results of the present study indicate that resveratrol (5 and 10 mg/kg, orally) significantly reversed 3-nitropropionic acid-induced motor and cognitive impairment, and that the beneficial effects of resveratrol might be attributed to its antioxidant activity.

PMID: 16940769 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

#7 JonesGuy

• Topic Starter
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 09:47 PM

Thanks. They're not really answering my question, though I guess my question is rather specific. I'm not trying to slow the Alzheimer's degeneration once it's started, I'm trying to figure out whether giving the pill to retirees will prevent them from upgrading their education.

#8 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 01:23 AM

Why do you suspect that might be the case?

#9 JonesGuy

• Topic Starter
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 03:38 PM

I know that brain metabolism is slightly dissimilar from body metabolism, but I'd still be concerned if the supplement ended in a slower learning curve.

#10 ikaros

• 334 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 05:18 PM

I see no logical basis for concluding that res might impair learning.

#11 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 05:31 PM

See- it's got to you too! LOL

#12 JonesGuy

• Topic Starter
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 02:16 PM

I'm hoping such a study has been done by now. It would be really easy to do. An Honor's student could do it.

I see no logical basis for concluding that res might impair learning.

Res mimics a lower-calorie environmental response. The brain is a bit different from the rest of our body, in that its responses to caloric stress are different. It consumes a huge portion of our calories, and doesn't use the same feedback mechanisms as the rest of our systems.

I don't know if caloric stress reduces the plasticity of the brains of older rats, but it really could. I also don't know if Res has any effect in this area. I think it's a good question to look at, though. Especially since it's so easy. It's also pretty important: we could also see an upsurge in plasticity*.

*plasticity in this case is referring to increased connections and learning.

#13 zawy

• 291 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 07:25 PM

The resveratrol fish study also showed superior mental abilities in those fish taking resveratrol. Calorie restriction, physical exercise, mental exercise, blueberries, low blood pressure, and low cholesterol also delay mental decline. There are probably several studies showing that most of these improve mental ability if begun later in life. It stands to reason that anything that prevents mental decline has a good chance of not just delaying but increasing mental ability if the treatment begins later rather than early. Believing the opposite seems much more risky. No one has posted that mental ability could possibly decline from taking resveratrol. The suggestion that people over 60 should not start resveratrol is like saying they shouldn't start exercising, they should not lower blood pressure, they should not decrease cholesterol, they should not start mental exercises, they should not eat blueberries, and they should not decrease their caloric intake. Until there is some evidence that resveratrol or something like it is dangerous to the elderly, i think it's very dangerous to believe otherwise.

Calorie restriction and resveratrol do not work the same way. One lowers metabolism that prevents cell divisions and may lessen free radical damage and the other prevents free radical damage without decreasing caloric intake. They're probably not related anymore than exercise is related to calorie restriction.

Eating less will lower weight which will lower blood pressure which decreases dementia.

#14 JonesGuy

• Topic Starter
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 02:28 PM

I know that it is unlikely that res will cause a cognitive decline (or a slower rate of cognitive increase, which is what I'm really after*)! That's why I want this fricken study done! Gah! Science is so slow, sometimes. I would love to be able rule out a potential risk, with hard numbers.

A lot of people want quality, in addition to quantity of life (which is why it's tough to get people onto CR). If we can believe that res can supply both, we're in for a golden age.

Man, I want this study done.

*Remember that a learning decline while on a drug is not going to be the same mechanism as increased abiliity to learn in old age. If the rat is healthier while elderly, it's going to outperform other elderly rats. It's the time-course of cognitive ability that needs to be examined.

Edited by QJones, 08 May 2008 - 02:33 PM.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#15 malbecman

• 733 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 04:23 PM

If you've got a spare $500K, I'm sure I could get this study done for you at a major university. Don't forget, human studies are going to require lots of official approvals. I don't think "just" an honors student could pull this off, sorry....

edited a typo

I know that it is unlikely that res will cause a cognitive decline (or a slower rate of cognitive increase, which is what I'm really after*)! That's why I want this fricken study done! Gah! Science is so slow, sometimes. I would love to be able rule out a potential risk, with hard numbers.

A lot of people want quality, in addition to quantity of life (which is why it's tough to get people onto CR). If we can believe that res can supply both, we're in for a golden age.

Man, I want this study done.

*Remember that a learning decline while on a drug is not going to be the same mechanism as increased abiliity to learn in old age. If the rat is healthier while elderly, it's going to outperform other elderly rats. It's the time-course of cognitive ability that needs to be examined.

Edited by malbecman, 08 May 2008 - 04:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users