• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

life extension goes mainstream

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 maestro949

• 2,350 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 10:38 AM

foresight.org has a little blog post about Sanjay Gupta plugging his book in Life Extension magazine. There's an opportunity to comment here:

Nanotechnology for life extension goes mainstream

Here is the LE article.

Sanjay Gupta on the Cover of LE magazine

Nice to see someone with mainstream visibility unafraid to point out where things are heading...

“All over the world and right in your backyard, there are people who are steadily pushing back the frontier of aging. They are not content to simply wither away, becoming frail and feeling worthless. Instead, they are achieving a sort of practical immortality—living as long as they want to live and dying only when they are through living… Immortality is on the horizon and it is within our reach for the first time.” Dr. Sanjay Gupta - August 2007

#2 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 10:45 AM

Oooh, neat. I love watching Dr. Gupta's reports and stuff on CNN. The Life Extension magazine interview in the second link was really good.

I can't believe someone as mainstream as Dr. Gupta is talking about nanotechnology and immortality like it is right around the corner.

I think in the next couple of decades, we’re going to get to a point of practical immortality. It’s not true immortality, but practical immortality, meaning that we’re going to live much longer without getting sick, and as a result we’ll have many more functional years. It seems that we are going to get to the point where some people will be able to decide how long they want to live by doing some of the things that Kurzweil talks about. There is a lot of interest and activity around promising technologies such as exchanging body organs, rejuvenating cells, and even nanotechnology which will eliminate even a single cancer cell in the body before it can ever start replicating.

For a lot of people these ideas are on the fringe, but frankly now that I have researched it and spoken to the scientists in the field, I believe that we are getting very close to realizing some of these fantastic ideas. I think that we’re going to be much further along in the next twenty years than ever before.

Edited by Live Forever, 11 August 2007 - 10:55 AM.

#3 mike250

• 981 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 11:21 AM

20 years eh. I'll be 44 by then and hopefully the diseases of today will be something of the past.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 12:19 PM

http://www.drgupta.c...of wellness.htm

You're serious?! that guy is speaking about immortality?!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*EXPLODES*

Well.. that's cool :p
Wow.. he sounds like the total opposite..
I'm feeling sick :X not because I don't want him on our side (I do want anyone we can, him included.), but because.. wow.. he just sounds like those annoying guys which you ask them:

"So would you want to live forever?"
"No, god made me die."
"Ok but do you WANT to live forever?"
"Why would anyone want to change's god's doing?"
"Grrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!#?@?%T#$^#@%#@"

#5 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 12:37 PM

*EXPLODES*

I'm feeling sick :X not because I don't want him on our side (I do want anyone we can, him included.), but because.. wow.. he just sounds like those annoying guys which you ask them:

"No, god made me die."

LOL. That is a different Dr. Gupta than the one on CNN and the above. His name is apparently Dr. Shri P. Gupta and is an ND, Doctor of Naturopathy (whatever that is) while Dr. Gupta on CNN is Dr. Sanjay Gupta, and is an MD. Gupta is a common last name. Perhaps you were just joking though? (I hope so)

#6 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 12:39 PM

Of course I was joking!

Oops..

#7 modelcadet

• 443 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 01:30 PM

Perhaps we could invite Dr. Gupta to a conference...

Maybe ask his opinion as a medical journalist what sort of medical developments get picked up by the mainstream science journalism.

Or perhaps we could get Merck to start a line of resveratrol supps.

Actually, I could see Dr. Gupta doing a report on the science behind the glass of red wine (with enough footage of booze to appeal to the lowest common denominator).

#8 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 02:03 PM

Of course I was joking!

Oops..

haha. Its all good, an easy mistake to make I suppose. Here is the Dr. Gupta we are talking about: http://en.wikipedia....ki/Sanjay_Gupta

Besides being on CNN a lot, he is Assistant Professor of Neurosurgery at Emory University and associate chief of the neurosurgery service at Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta. I would highly doubt if he is very religious.

#9 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 02:13 PM

Yes, I already found the real one :D
Seems like a cool person and pretty known, good for us!

#10 mike250

• 981 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 09:53 PM

*EXPLODES*

"No, god made me die."

it seems you care too much about what other people think.

#11 JonesGuy

• 1,183 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 04:04 PM

Wow!

How replicated are these comments in his other reportings, writings? I am nervous that he's tailoring his response to his audience in order to generate book sales. If he's carrying a similar theme in other interviews, that would be awesome

#12 gavrilov

• 341 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 04:26 PM

Wow!

How replicated are these comments in his other reportings, writings?  I am nervous that he's tailoring his response to his audience in order to generate book sales.  ... [snip]

Just for the purpose of clarification for other readers here:
You are probably talking about this book:

Chasing Life: New Discoveries in the Search for Immortality to Help You Age Less Today
by Sanjay Gupta (Hardcover - April 9, 2007)
http://tinyurl.com/36o4u3

Kind regards,

#13 halcyondays

• 93 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 04:15 AM

I watches some of Dr. Gupta's reports on CNN when they were on. I had no idea that he actually thought that some of the ideas that Transhumanists espouse would become a reality.

Considering the position he holds and this book coming out he could actually garner a lot of interest in life extension. Good news for the future of research.

#14 JonesGuy

• 1,183 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 10:38 AM

I wonder if he'd be considered a credible source by the public? I mean, if I say "the main medical analyist of CNN think we're on the cusp of practical immortality", will that resonate?

BTW: I really didn't like his description of Moore's Law. WTF?

#15 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 02:23 PM

BTW: I really didn't like his description of Moore's Law.  WTF?

Yeah, I noticed that too and kind of cringed. Why is it people are always buggering that up?

#16 gavrilov

• 341 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 05:08 PM

I wonder if he'd be considered a credible source by the public?  I mean, if I say "the main medical analyist of CNN think we're on the cusp of practical immortality", will that resonate?

... [skip]...

I agree. The opinion of experts like Caleb Finch ( http://tinyurl.com/2evm7q ) would be considered as far more credible.

Kind regards,

#17 Andrew Shevchuk

• 75 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 01:31 AM

I wonder if he'd be considered a credible source by the public?  I mean, if I say "the main medical analyist of CNN think we're on the cusp of practical immortality", will that resonate?

... [skip]...

I agree. The opinion of experts like Caleb Finch ( http://tinyurl.com/2evm7q ) would be considered as far more credible.

Kind regards,

It's still good news though, and this is somebody whom the public is more familiar with. If only we had transhumanist celebrities instead of scientologist celebrities....then we'd really be cooking in the public eye.

#18 dangerousideas

• 60 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 02:25 AM

If only we had transhumanist celebrities instead of scientologist celebrities....then we'd really be cooking in the public eye.

Errr...

Be careful what you wish for....

#19 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 August 2007 - 02:31 AM

If only we had transhumanist celebrities instead of scientologist celebrities....then we'd really be cooking in the public eye.

Errr...

Be careful what you wish for....

Hhhmm, well I've always found Sanjay Gupta to be rational/credible and I'd imagine that most of the CNN viewership feels the same way. I'm pleasantly surprised to hear of Mr. Gupta's leanings.

#20 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 02:43 AM

Mr. Gupta

That's Dr. Gupta to you, mister.

[tung]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users