Photo
- - - - -

Low Dose Naltrexone for Longevity

• Please log in to reply
248 replies to this topic

#151 adamh

• 1,033 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:39 PM

I've discovered that ramping up 0.25mg a week, if you are patient enough, is a really really painless way to eventually reach effective doses of LDN without ever experiencing side effects. I've reached 1.5mg so far this way and am feeling good.

This is interesting. The usual prescribed dose for ldn is around 4.5mg though some say 3. I have heard that sub mg doses may do something. At what dose did you begin to feel benefits? I was going to make up 1mg doses and then double after a week if no results at 1mg. Did you have nerve problems from your lyme syndrome? What sort of symptoms did you have and what results did you get over a period of time with ldn? If I may be so bold as to ask?

Berama, that sounds fine but forgive me for being a tiny tad bit skeptical since the woods are full of viral type promotion of various companies. I just could not find anything substantial to back up river pharmacy. It may be good, it certainly is cheap. I may go with them next time around.

Funk, if you are getting results that gives me greater hope for my situation. I have idiopathic origin neuralgia and by extrapolation, neuropathy. My cousin has it and my mother did. I read that ms patients are getting results. I may make up 0.5mg doses or even 0.25mg to follow your course of treatments. Not that one size fits all. I was going to crush in a mortar and mix with a neutral substance but perhaps a water solution is a better way?

#152 Animal

• 689 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 02:45 PM

$80 for 10 50mg tablets!? The typical price I've seen is £20 including shipping for exactly the same quantity, which is approximately $32. You've been ripped off.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#153 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 04:26 PM

I've discovered that ramping up 0.25mg a week, if you are patient enough, is a really really painless way to eventually reach effective doses of LDN without ever experiencing side effects. I've reached 1.5mg so far this way and am feeling good.

This is interesting. The usual prescribed dose for ldn is around 4.5mg though some say 3. I have heard that sub mg doses may do something. At what dose did you begin to feel benefits? I was going to make up 1mg doses and then double after a week if no results at 1mg. Did you have nerve problems from your lyme syndrome? What sort of symptoms did you have and what results did you get over a period of time with ldn? If I may be so bold as to ask?

Berama, that sounds fine but forgive me for being a tiny tad bit skeptical since the woods are full of viral type promotion of various companies. I just could not find anything substantial to back up river pharmacy. It may be good, it certainly is cheap. I may go with them next time around.

Funk, if you are getting results that gives me greater hope for my situation. I have idiopathic origin neuralgia and by extrapolation, neuropathy. My cousin has it and my mother did. I read that ms patients are getting results. I may make up 0.5mg doses or even 0.25mg to follow your course of treatments. Not that one size fits all. I was going to crush in a mortar and mix with a neutral substance but perhaps a water solution is a better way?

Water solution is the most accurate as well as the easiest method of dosing. This process has been so gradual that I can't point out a specific onset of anything but I certainly have more energy and a more positive mood than when I started. My skin is also clearer. I will continue pushing toward 4.5mg unless I run into problems. I may accelerate the pace to 0.5mg weekly too.

The complete list of symptoms I used to have is too extensive to recall here but you can look through my regimen thread for those details. The first time I took LDN at 4.5mg I experienced what felt like a life-threatening reaction, and I went on to discover I had undiagnosed Lyme. In the time since I've taken a ton of antibiotics, so I can't say with certainty if my better response to LDN now is a result of my treatment or the gradual titration of dose.

I used to have Lyme-related problems with tingling nerves, twitching, and stiffness/weakness in my right leg which are all gone, but those were already taken care of before starting LDN again recently.

#154 adamh

• 1,033 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:44 PM

Thanks, Funk for the info. I'm not sure how that would relate to my problems but every bit of info adds to the picture. I may go with the water solution until I figure the right dose. What do you suppose helped with your nerve tingling before you got on the ldn? Or was it so many things there is no way to determine?

Animal:

"$80 for 10 50mg tablets!?"

No, $85 with shipping. I've seen lower prices but that is only $7.50 a pill plus s+h and I've seen them advertized for much more than that even where you had to have a prescription. I've seen prices of 11.50 up to 13 or so in small quantitites. Your all day chemist has a better price but you need the paper.

I have a phone # of a doc who will give one over the phone but he wants $7 a minute and says the average will be around $100 plus he needs your med records faxed to him first. A C note for the script makes the total a lot more. And for how long is the script good for?

This place I ordered from has a med form at the bottom of the order form with the default settings already filled in. The doc supposedly goes over it before they send it out. $85 is less than the good doc here wants for a consultation and I don't think it's all that much. Not if I'm using 2 or 3 mg per day or maybe less. If the stuff works then it is worth 10 x as much. Easily.

If it works then next time I see a doc I'll beg for a script and probably not get it. Thats the rub, you go local and they won't do it so you waste your time and money but I have to go in for something else soon anyhow.

#155 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:29 PM

Thanks, Funk for the info. I'm not sure how that would relate to my problems but every bit of info adds to the picture. I may go with the water solution until I figure the right dose. What do you suppose helped with your nerve tingling before you got on the ldn?

Doxycycline calmed down the nerve issues and muscle twitching for me. Probably due to killing lyme, although you can't rule out a neuroprotective / anti-inflammatory effect because doxycycline does that as well.

Edited by FunkOdyssey, 24 March 2010 - 08:30 PM.

#156 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:42 PM

I've never seen any mention of an effect on sex hormones reported -- then again, its probably rare for anyone to run before / after hormonal panels. I invite one brave soul to step up and do it for science. My money is on no effect or an insignificantly small effect.

Some chemical bodybuilders supposedly take LDN on-cycle to counter shutdown of endogenous production of LH and testosterone.

Edited by viveutvivas, 24 March 2010 - 08:56 PM.

#157 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:55 PM

In the time since I posted that quote, I've read a couple anecdotal reports of slightly above normal range testosterone levels in male LDN users.

Edited by FunkOdyssey, 24 March 2010 - 08:56 PM.

#158 nito

• 996 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 12:53 PM

I'm confused lol. I don't suffer from what LDN is prescribes for but i have heard it can relieve fatigue. Would it be wise to take it becasue of that?

#159 youandme

• 255 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 06:05 AM

LDN increased my Testosterone between tests...not sure about long term use

In the time since I posted that quote, I've read a couple anecdotal reports of slightly above normal range testosterone levels in male LDN users.

#160 adamh

• 1,033 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 03:33 PM

It came yesterday in a white padded mailer. I had to sign for it. The pills were in blister packs and looked legit with an expiration date of 10-12. I'll probably crush one up with my mortar and pestle and put in some water. I may start with 0.5mg per dose.

#161 Berama

• 10 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 10:58 PM

Been sooooo hungry since I cut down to 1mg - cannot stop eating!

#162 adamh

• 1,033 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:33 PM

I started on 500mcg per day on sunday. The first day I didn't notice much but the second day was stronger and I could not sleep at night. The third day I took phenibut and a sleeping compound and it was ok but I can't do it every day. It seems stronger each day. I was going to ramp up to 750mcg after 5 days but now I think maybe I'll have to cut back. I just can't imagine taking 50mg per day or even 4.5mg like the so called low dose. This stuff is strong. No help with the neuralgia so far.

The trade name on the blister pack was "nodict"

#163 Berama

• 10 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:36 PM

You should be ramping up a lot slower according to my dr. Spend about a week per half mg and ramp up like that.

Does anyone else notice that the solution tastes a bit like mould after a day or two. Is it supposed to taste like that?

#164 adamh

• 1,033 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:53 PM

You should be ramping up a lot slower according to my dr. Spend about a week per half mg and ramp up like that.

Does anyone else notice that the solution tastes a bit like mould after a day or two. Is it supposed to taste like that?

It had a nasty taste from day 1. It also has an after taste. I keep my solution in the fridge. I skipped my dose today because I didn't sleep well last night even after taking some valerian root and hops. I will probably start back on it tomorrow at around 400mcg. Do you ever get used to the side effects? How long is it supposed to take?

#165 togameru

• 19 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 03:55 AM

I actually independently arrived at the conclusion that naltrexone might be a good thing for me to try a number of months ago (to treat my anhedonia, emotional numbness, and to upregulate BNDF expression in the hopes of improved cognitive functioning). I went to my doctor, asked for some, and was given several months worth of 50mg tablets, and my insurance covered it (probably because the doctor purposely misrepresented in my chart what the purpose of its prescription was). Wary of unpleasantness, I started with what I thought was a low dose of 25 mg (since in the literature, 50mg is described as the starting dose for treating alcohol dependence and other addictions.) I really didn't find it all together very unpleasant. In fact, for the first hour or so it was euphoric to me (of course, at the same period of time I was finding opioids, such as hydrocodone, to be extremely dysphoric).

Anyways, enough rambling. Onto my question: Has anyone else experienced lucid dreams taking the stuff?

The second time I tried it, I think, I took 12.5 mg before going to bed. A half an hour before I woke up I suddenly starting gaining lucidity in my dream. I had been dreaming of being back in high school, walking through its hallways as I heard the din of a throng of students chattering away all at once, when suddenly I became aware that I was asleep and that the high school of my dream, which only moments before I had been convinced was my own, was not, in fact, mine - being merely a product of my imagination and reflecting the appearance of the archetypal high school. As soon as this realization sunk in and the lucidity of my dream reached its zenith, I looked ahead of me to find that the hallway abruptly opened to an exotic and extremely beautiful oriental landscape with verdant rolling hills, tall sheer mountains, exquisitely arranged boulders of varying size, and a twisting distinctly oriental tree bereft of its foliage and floral ornamentation. Suddenly, I looked at the sky and saw a homogeneous layer of clouds perfectly concealing the firmament, which, though I intuited was unimaginably thick, nevertheless admitted of the passage of a great deal of light due to its sheer intensity. Though not in any way religious or spiritual, I interpreted this light as being god and felt overwhelmingly profound and powerful emotions and began screaming as loud as I could, afraid that the clouds should part and reveal that light of inconceivable intensity in full. At this point I woke up.

Prior to this I had had only, perhaps, two lucid dreams in my entire life. To this day it remains the most interesting dream I've ever had. It's strange that when on no pharmaceutical regimen I happen to dream, which occurs rarely, those dreams are almost invariably nightmares, but when I take naltrexone, which you would expect to cause dysphoric experiences only, the dreams tend to be of a far more positive nature.

Edited by togameru, 04 April 2010 - 03:57 AM.

#166 Berama

• 10 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 09:13 PM

Hi Adamh - yes doesn't taste good - bitter but do you get the mouldy taste too after a few days? does this mean it's gone off - gets mouldier as the days go by - I quarter/half tabs then make up solution and usually chuck it after 2 wks if anything else. What side effects are you getting? I didn't really get any other than vivid dreams at the beginning. If it's not sleeping well, yes that goes but also you feel so good that the lack of sleep is compensated for.

#167 adamh

• 1,033 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 10:42 PM

Hi Adamh - yes doesn't taste good - bitter but do you get the mouldy taste too after a few days? does this mean it's gone off - gets mouldier as the days go by - I quarter/half tabs then make up solution and usually chuck it after 2 wks if anything else. What side effects are you getting? I didn't really get any other than vivid dreams at the beginning. If it's not sleeping well, yes that goes but also you feel so good that the lack of sleep is compensated for.

I've had a lot going on so its hard to say what effects it has but I have not been sleeping well. I took a couple days off and went back on at about 380mcg a day. I've been sleeping poorly and skipped today and will skip tomorrow. I keep the solution in the fridge and have not noticed any worse taste after about 2 weeks. No noticeable effects on neuralgia. Someone told me after a few weeks they got great results. All I get are side effects. It may have a stimulating effect and some people may like that but I would not. I'll go back on it tuesday and see how I do for a few more weeks.

#168 larry123

• 1 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 03:31 PM

Background: Diagnosed with Lymes disease (chronic and active), XMRV and low free testosterone (could be a symptom of the other problems)
Symptoms: Sciatica, arthritis, low energy, no motivation, memory problems, etc.
Current Treatments: Doxycycline, testosterone cream and LDN

I have been on low dose naltrexone for a few weeks now and it has greatly improved my mood, energy, pains and made me feel "normal" (last time I felt normal was 20 years ago). My doctor prescribed 4.5mg LDN and I was able to obtain it from a compounding pharmacy. The first night I took the medication I was asleep then awake several times during the night but in the morning I felt generally better. After about 4 days my sleep pattern recovered to a more normal without any real side effects. My mood has improved, I feel more awake with much more energy and generally feel much better. I was able to obtain the full 50mg tablets to start making LDN in a water suspension. I have only tried it one night so far but I am wondering if the potency is as good as the compounded formula.

Pricing: Compounding Pharmacy with a prescription $50 for 30 days (I am sure I can find a much better price as this is only 3 pills of 50mg Naltrexone compounded)
Prescription for 50mg Naltrexone at a regular pharmacy is around 30 pills for $40 (each pill is good for over 10 days of supply but I need to verify cutting it with water it is working as well as the compounded formula)

P.S. I am in the USA

#169 adamh

• 1,033 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 11:39 PM

That sounds awfully expensive. And someone told me I paid too much. Try all day chemist. You do need a script which you say you already have.

I've been using the water solution and it's plenty strong. I started with 500mcg, went down to about 370 when it seemed too strong and I just took a break from it because my sleep was no good. It does seem stimulating but I have sleep problems anyway and this makes it worse. I think I'll go back on it monday at 250mcg and see how I tolerate that.

Larry, how has your sciatica been since the treatment? Any other improvements besides mood?

#170 Berama

• 10 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 08:17 PM

Larry, I'm not sure if your sciatica is linked to other problems but if it's a stand alone problem and LDN doesn't help, could I suggest yoga? I had really bad sciatica for over a year and couldn't walk for about 3 months of it. I walked with a limp for nearly a year - it was extremely painful and the pain went the whole way from my back and hip down to my leg, knee and ankle. That was 8 years ago. I started doing yoga - hatha at first and then ashtanga and I haven't had even a twinge of back pain. That year that I had sciatica, I had tried literally everything - osteopaths, massage, chiropractors, back aligners, you name it, i tried it.

good luck on the ldn, sounds like it's doing you good.

adamh, sorry to hear it's not working for you. I can't imagine what neuralgia is like to live with.

#171 Lallante

• 197 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 03:00 PM

What effect would this have on someone who was perfectly healthy, slept well naturally etc?

#172 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 04:22 PM

What effect would this have on someone who was perfectly healthy, slept well naturally etc?

• Improved mood
  • Improved energy levels
  • Improved resistance to infection
  • Improved libido
  • Reduction/elimination of allergies
  • Prevention of cancer
  • Increased testosterone levels (in men)

#173 Lallante

• 197 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:29 PM

• Improved mood
  • Improved energy levels
  • Improved libido
  • Prevention of cancer

That sounds pretty fucking awesome.

#174 adamh

• 1,033 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 07:51 PM

• Improved mood
  • Improved energy levels
  • Improved libido
  • Prevention of cancer

That sounds pretty fucking awesome.

I noticed a few days ago that my sinuses had not been acting up as much as usual. I've had sneezing fits at least once a day for about 10 years. I've only had one in the last few weeks which is around the time I've been using ldn. My mood has been good and I'm back on 250 mcg a day. I don't seem to be getting sides so maybe I'm getting used to it. I'll try cautiously ramping up the dose and will try to hit 1000 after a month or so.

#175 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 07:59 PM

Has anyone here considered dosing LDN in the morning instead of at night? Maybe once any of the side effects are gone?

#176 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 08:19 PM

Has anyone here considered dosing LDN in the morning instead of at night? Maybe once any of the side effects are gone?

A couple reasons that is less than ideal:

Opiate receptor antagonism while you are awake is not so much fun. Although, after you've adapted to a given dose of LDN that period actually isn't too bad. Its roughly your old baseline mood, with the rest of the 24hr period being somewhere above that. You'll feel crappy in the beginning though.

Having naltrexone in your system during the late night/early morning hours is going to boost testosterone secretion. If you take naltrexone at a different time of day, you may end up with reduced testosterone relative to your baseline. This wouldn't be nearly as severe as someone on prescription pain meds, but its still something. So, there is a hormonal angle here that is rarely considered.

edit: not sure about GH, different effects depending on whether blockade is continuous, subjects are obese vs lean, etc.

Edited by FunkOdyssey, 23 April 2010 - 08:24 PM.

#177 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 08:28 PM

A couple reasons that is less than ideal:

Opiate receptor antagonism while you are awake is not so much fun. Although, after you've adapted to a given dose of LDN that period actually isn't too bad. Its roughly your old baseline mood, with the rest of the 24hr period being somewhere above that. You'll feel crappy in the beginning though.

Having naltrexone in your system during the late night/early morning hours is going to boost testosterone secretion. If you take naltrexone at a different time of day, you may end up with reduced testosterone relative to your baseline. This wouldn't be nearly as severe as someone on prescription pain meds, but its still something. So, there is a hormonal angle here that is rarely considered.

edit: not sure about GH, different effects depending on whether blockade is continuous, subjects are obese vs lean, etc.

Thanks man. So do you sleep fine now on LDN?

#178 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 08:40 PM

Yes, completely normal sleeping, indistinguishable from pre-LDN sleeping. People have different experiences with this; some sleep fine the first night, the majority are sleeping well again after 3-4 days, and rarely it will take a full week or two. The people that seem to have trouble for an extended length of time are those that started off with insomnia problems.

Edited by FunkOdyssey, 23 April 2010 - 08:41 PM.

#179 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 09:37 PM

Yes, completely normal sleeping, indistinguishable from pre-LDN sleeping. People have different experiences with this; some sleep fine the first night, the majority are sleeping well again after 3-4 days, and rarely it will take a full week or two. The people that seem to have trouble for an extended length of time are those that started off with insomnia problems.

Nice..good to know.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#180 NDM

• 343 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 01:30 AM

Funk, on weekends I go out to the bars at around 11 pm and get back home at around 3am, sometimes mildly inebriated (3 beers) and with company. So my question is if there's any problem taking LDN at 10: 30 pm just before going out. Potential problems I have in mind:

- 1. the gap between taking it and actually getting into sleeping (4 hours or so);
- 2. any chance that it would interfere with sexual performance that night?
- 3. (alcohol interaction - you told me already that this is not a problem really)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users