- - - - -

Tinnitus

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 November 2007 - 10:07 PM

Does anyone else around here have tinnitus, a ringing in the ear? I've had it for 4 months now due to a cold infection just over 5 months ago. Doctor said fluid build up within the ears and can take several months to drain, up to a year! I just hope he's right and it is just fluid because sometimes it sucks. I have a new band now and will be starting to create, practice and play gig in the near future but am afraid of tinnitus getting worse because I don't know 100% that it is definitely from the cold or previous bands I've been in.

Anyone else have tinnitus that eventually went away on its own? I've seen an ENT doctor and he seen fluid and had an abnormal pressure test in one of my ears... I also get this crackling/clicking noise in my ears when I swallow. When I pop my ears things become a little louder for a few seconds to.

Any ideas how I can help get rid of this? It is probably mild tinnitus as low music and broadband noise can mask it, plus I generally only hear it at night time most days. Still can be annoying though! It sounds like a high pitched noise from a TV in my head.

Apparently 50 million people in the U.S have it, and 1/3rd of troops coming home from iraq have it!... Yet no cure!

My hearing is fine by the way, perfect hearing test and I can hear up to 20,000 Hz.

Heres what Tinnitus is for those not heard of it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinnitus

Edited by Matt, 30 November 2007 - 10:10 PM.

#2 Matt

• Topic Starter
  • 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 November 2007 - 10:17 PM

For those that want to listen to what tinnitus sounds like... check this video out

Edited by Matt, 30 November 2007 - 10:18 PM.

#3 gashinshotan

• 443 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 04:00 AM

You're going to go deaf from being in a band anyway ;).

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 sjayo

• 69 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 05:44 AM

Matt
I've had tinnitus for 3 years now, also brought on by ear infections. Mine did not go away, although I was told it would. The sound for me is exactly like cicadas without the oscillation. I also get the cracking sound when turning my head. It can also be caused by large doses of ibuprofin. So far there is no cure, but scientists at the University of Michigan are working on it. The hardest part used to be sleeping, but the brain eventually adapts, and so will you. A good portion of the adaptation is psychological, recognizing that you're going to have to live with it. It's particularly frustrating because you know there is no external source of sound, and yet there it is anyway. Mine is made much worse by lack of sleep and somewhat better with a hot bath.
Jay

#5 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 06:12 AM

Matt, I have it too. I think that mine was due to noise exposure. It sounds like a very high pitched ringing, usually with multiple frequencies simultaneously. Sometimes it sounds like birds chirping. It gets worse if my head gets inflamed, like from a cold, allergies, or even breathing non-allergenic dusts. A high fat meal, lack of sleep, and various drugs can make it worse. http://www.tinnitus.org/ promotes something called tinnitus retraining therapy that sounds interesting. I've heard of some research in Germany that involved some sort of transcranial RF zapping. You might want to investigate a pair of musician's earplugs. They supposedly attenuate all frequencies equally, or something. They might keep it from getting worse, if nothing else. I hope that it goes away for you. When the fluid in your ears resolves, I'd think you'd at least have a reasonable chance of the tinnitus getting better. If it doesn't, you have a lot of company. Good luck.

#6 Matt

• Topic Starter
  • 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 December 2007 - 05:30 PM

You're going to go deaf from being in a band anyway :).

At the moment my hearing is totally normal but in the future I have getting musician ear plugs for sure!

Edited by Matt, 01 December 2007 - 05:42 PM.

#7 Matt

• Topic Starter
  • 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 December 2007 - 05:39 PM

Thanks for the responses! I was sure there would be some others at Imminst with Tinnitus, it's just not many people actually talk about the problem! I even found out that several of my family members have it for years now and never told anyone... I guess it just doesn't bother people after a while and everyone likes to just forget about it. Exactly the same things I've noticed about the tinnitus getting worse with lack of sleep. In fact when I wake up in the morning I can hardly hear it at all, then by the evening it becomes sort of loud. At one point I heard 3 different sounds in my ears... low humming, mid pitched, and very high pitched (16k hz), but most often it is just the high one.

People say it does get quieter in time and the brain adapts... or it goes away. I've heard many stories similar to Jay's where people get infections and it causes tinnitus which never resolves, or takes VERY long time. I know some who had it for years and then just went away.

Thanks anyway :)

#8 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 06:18 PM

People say it does get quieter in time and the brain adapts... or it goes away. I've heard many stories similar to Jay's where people get infections and it causes tinnitus which never resolves, or takes VERY long time. I know some who had it for years and then just went away.

I don't know if what I had was tinnitus when I was younger, or not. I had ear infections fairly regularly and ended up having tubes put in my ears. I remember hearing very high pitched noises in quiet areas and my parents say that I asked them often if they heard it, too. It went away at one point and I haven't thought about it much since.

#9 siberia

• 91 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 06:44 PM

I've had tinnitus for six years now, and even though I don't mind it as much as I did at first at all, it have never stopped bothering me. I can't offer anything else but my own experience, and that is that even if one's condition is supposed to be temporary, one should still be very cautious to exposing one to loud environments. My tinnitus was too very easily masked in the beginning and was "guaranteed" to disappear, but grew louder with time. Avoiding standing next to the speakers at concerts, even with earplugs, and if it doesn't disappear, to actively trying to accept your condition would be my advice, at least until rTMS treatments become available :smile: :wink:

edit: And, I perhaps should add, my tinnitus appeared from nowhere.

Edited by siberia, 01 December 2007 - 06:50 PM.

#10 jackinbox

• 452 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 02:32 AM

I had tinnitus for 2 years now. It has been caused by dexedrine+strattera. When it get really bad, the sound is in my head. At best, the high pitch sound is just in the right ear. Alcool and marijuana, caffeine and pretty much any stimulant make it worse so I try to avoid all those. I've been on Wellbutrin for the last few month and it help me somewhat. Wellbutrin can cause tinnitus but it has the opposite effect on me, one of the reason is that it helps me to concentrate and not think about it. I also take those supplements known to help with tinnitus:

Gingko Biloba
Zinc
Copper (to avoid depletion caused by Zinc intake)
B Vitamins complex

Gingko helps somewhat. I'm not sure about the rest.

The next thing I want to try is Memantine.

#11 Harvey Newstrom

• Guest, Advisor
  • 102 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 04:37 AM

I have tinnitus. It is there all the time if I listen for it. But usually I don't notice it. It sounds just like in that video. I used to think the lights were whining at work, and that there were cicadas outside my window at night. Until I found out that nobody else could hear these, and the sound was in my head.

Trying to make your sleeping environment totally silent makes the problem worse. Your ears strain to hear fainter sounds when there are no other sounds. Light noise, traffic, a fan, or white noise seem to help.

I also found that relaxation techniques help for me. I can concentrate on the sound and imagine my neck melting like wax. As I relax, the sound noticeably dims. I can almost make it go away now.

Listening for it or thinking about it makes it worse. Stress and frustration at the noise will make it harder to ignore. I'm not sure if the sound ever really goes away, or if I just forget about it.

#12 inawe

• 653 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:07 PM

Many things can cause tinnitus. Damaged hair-cells in the inner ear,
fluid due to infection, etc. If the cause can be cured the tinnitus could
disappear. Permanent tinnitus is usually due to damage in the
hair-cells. This is associated with hearing loss and the tinnitus
frequency(es) is inside the range of diminished hearing.
So Matt, good news. Since your hearing is OK, your tinnitus will
probably go away.
This is the little bit I think I know about tinnitus.

#13 blazewind

• 77 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 08:08 AM

From what I remember, the noise of tinnitus is caused by damaged outer hair cells that somehow get 'stuck on' because some of your hair cells' functions are to actually produce sound and what you are hearing is those hair cells being 'stuck on' kind of like a piano key that keeps going and doesn't stop.

Surprisingly nootropics have somehow helped my tinnitus.

Edited by blazewind, 03 December 2007 - 08:09 AM.

#14 mike250

• 981 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 08:18 AM

I had the same problem and the ringing sound went away after I got my ears waxed. It was a painful procedure but all was good afterwards.

#15 jubai

• 130 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 03:12 AM

I dont have this condition, but I've heard that sleeping with a fan (white noise) is a great way to manage it a night, and as far as mechanical white noise is concerned, the sleepmate 980 is a damn fine machine

http://www.sleepwell...ne-p/sm-980.htm

#16 Matt

• Topic Starter
  • 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 December 2007 - 08:44 PM

There is also another problem with my ear that I don't understand... when the ear canal is exposed I often get a wind sensation or roaring sound, however when I place my little finger in my ears but not all the way so it blocks sound, just blocking the airflow onto the ear drum, the roaring immediately goes away. It is similar to the sound some might get when they yawn.

Any ideas what going on here? Possibly fluid creating ear drum problems?

Edited by Matt, 04 December 2007 - 08:45 PM.

#17 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 12:53 AM

Maybe try large doses of inositol hexanicotinate to lower cAMP. When I tried 500 mg of niacinamide (which increases cAMP), it gave me tinnitus. I'd swear that it was windy outside, but I'd look out the window and see nothing but calm. Maybe the brain is interpreting the tinnitus sound as something that it is accustomed to hearing.

Dextromethorphan might also be worth a try, but its half-life is annoyingly short.

#18 Matt

• Topic Starter
  • 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 December 2007 - 08:21 PM

Everyone seems to be getting sick with colds over the past few weeks, I've still managed to not catch it yet even though it is now in my house... I just hope I don't because it would probably increase the tinnitus I suspect! Being a little sleep deprived doesn't really help either. Plus I've ran out of my traditional protective remedies like garlic, vitamin D3, green tea and so on...

Interestingly I was having lots of tinnitus spikes in my right ear, 80% of the time the sound is in my right ear and sometimes faintly in my left. So I went to the doctors today and she seen I had catarrh in my right ear ( I never told her which ear tinnitus has been worst in). So I guess this is likely to be the cause of the spikes or increased loudness I keep getting.

She suggested steam inhalation... anything else that can help? Would a steroid nasal spray help?

Edited by Matt, 17 December 2007 - 08:23 PM.

#19 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 09:17 PM

I have tinnitus in my ears fairly bad. I always had tinnitus, but I think the main culprit has been using a ceramic wet saw everyday for a year and a half without ear protection. Real f*ckin stupid! Now, I use ear protection, but I feel the tinnitus will be will be forever now. I also have listened to very loud music. I feel the worst was my friends s10 entended cab extreme with 2 15"s right behind your head in a huge ported box. I actually think that is when the initial onset was.

I am taking ginkgo and vinpocetine. I hope that helping alleviate my tinnitus just a little bit would be a very welcomed secondary effect.

#20 Matt

• Topic Starter
  • 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 December 2007 - 03:49 PM

Brain patch that could help to silence tinnitus
http://www.dailymail...in_page_id=1774

A patch placed under the scalp could be a new treatment for severe tinnitus.

The small patch provides electrical stimulation to the brain and is designed to reduce the ringing in the ears felt by the sufferer.

Researchers say it may have a lasting effect on symptoms.

Although tinnitus can be triggered by underlying problems, from earwax to high blood pressure, in most cases the cause is unknown.

It's estimated that up to a third of all adults experience tinnitus at some time, and that seven per cent of men and women will visit their GP with the problem. It can have a severe impact on quality of life.

Although there have been many treatments suggested and tried, including various herbs, distracting devices, anti-depressants and behaviour therapy, no cure has been found.

The treatment, which has just completed a pilot study in Minnesota in America, stimulates the area of the brain involved in sound, known as the auditory cortex, using low levels of electrical stimulation.

A stimulator device about the size of a pack of cards is implanted in a pocket created by the surgeon in the upper chest area. The electrical impulses it generates travel through a lead tunnelled under the skin to an electrode patch that has been surgically placed over the dura, the protective membrane that covers the brain's surface.

A handheld remote control device allows doctors and patients to turn the device on and off and adjust stimulation levels.

Results from the study with eight patients showed that all improved at the end of 12 weeks. Two patients experienced sustained reduction of tinnitus and six patients had short periods of total tinnitus suppression.

Two of the patients suffered from moderate to severe depression as a result of their condition; both improved to mild or minimal depression following the cortical stimulation. Most of the patients had periods where their tinnitus was alleviated, despite having had constant tinnitus for many years.

How it works is not clear and further studies are being planned, but other research shows that the same kind of stimulation above other areas of the brain can reduce the symptoms of depression. One theory is that the stimulation interferes with signals travelling between nerve cells in the auditory cortex.

"Many sufferers become frustrated by the lack of treatment options and are often told nothing can be done," says Dr Alan Levy, chief executive of device developers Northstar Neuroscience. "Electrical stimulation of the cortex may offer additional hope."

When the treatment could become more widely available is not yet known. Current treatments for tinnitus include:

• AMPLIFICATION: Hearing aids may provide some tinnitus sufferers with relief or easing of symptoms by amplifying speech and other sounds, taking the focus away from the tinnitus.

• MASKERS: These produce a masking sound more acceptable than the tinnitus.

• DRUG THERAPY: Medications that have provided relief for some patients include anti convulsants, anti-anxiety medications, tranquillisers and antihistamines.

• TINNITUS RETRAINING THERAPY: TRT is designed as a way to retrain the brain to ignore the tinnitus. It takes around a year or longer but has successfully provided relief to many sufferers.

• www.tinnitus.org.uk

Edited by Matt, 18 December 2007 - 03:49 PM.

#21 bridgebuilder

• 3 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 12:32 AM

A person's tinnitus could be the result of exposure to toxins in their home or workplace, (usually VOCs of some kind, but mold, hidden or obvious can also cause tinnitus. And mold toxins can persist in a building for years after a bad episode of water intrusion.) Nomatter what the cause, it should be dealt with because tinnitus can be a sign of inflammation and a warning of neurotoxicity.

Many people have genetics which influence the body's ability to remove toxins from the bloodstream. Small molecular weight biotoxins (like the ones in mold) build up in enterohepatic recirculation, and eventually they can cause disease and inflammation. (and chronic tinnitus)

I personally suspect that this is one of the most common causes of tinnitus. Drugs like cholestyramine that bind toxins from the bile and break the enterohepatic recirculation can be very useful for the 24% of all people who store biotoxins.

Its not just mold. Air inside of modern, tight buildings these days can be contaminated by a huge number of things.

New construction in Canada is required to include some kind of powered ventilation system to prevent the buildup of harmful pollutants in indoor air. Filtration can remove the larger particles of mold, pollen, etc, but it does little or nothing to remove VOCs and the smaller, more respirable particulates, which do the most damage. Do a Google search for "Heat Recovery Ventilator" or "Energy Recovery Ventilator" for more info. Panasonic makes a ERV that sells for as little as $320.

Tinnitus can also be caused by exposure to loud noises which damage hearing. (Noise in warfare is a well known cause of hearing damage)

N-acetylcysteine is an antioxidant which acts to help the body detoxify a huge number of toxicants. It can also protect hearing damage from noise which biologically is caused by oxidative stress. Whey protein is also useful in this situation.

The amino acid l-arginine is a NO donor which can help improve cerebral microcirculation. Taken frequently enough, it also may improve tinnitus. The supplement vinpocetine also improves cerebral circulation and it may help tinnitus.

Tinnitus can also be a sign of some very serious autoimmune diseases. Please see your doctor about tinnitus that lasts for any length of time because it can be a sign of an underlying, dangerous condition. You definitely want to get the fact that it is bothering you into your medical records so that you can figure out the big picture if anything else related happens.

#22 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 03:49 AM

Tinnitus can also be a sign of some very serious autoimmune diseases.

Can you source this please. Thank you.

#23 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 04:07 AM

Pubmed. autoimmune tinnitus. 53 hits.

#24 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 04:14 AM

Pubmed. autoimmune tinnitus. 53 hits.

Thanks. Wow, some scary stuff. I hope mine is just do to damage of my ear or something.

Edited by luv2increase, 22 December 2007 - 04:14 AM.

#25 Matt

• Topic Starter
  • 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 December 2007 - 02:51 PM

But tinnitus wouldn't usually be the first symptoms of an autoimmune disease either...

#26 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 09:00 PM

Thanks. Wow, some scary stuff. I hope mine is just do to damage of my ear or something.

That's most likely. As they say on the medical dramas, think horses, not zebras.

#27 Matt

• Topic Starter
  • 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 February 2008 - 11:38 PM

For those from the UK please sign this

http://petitions.pm....nnitus-funding/

#28 Matt

• Topic Starter
  • 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 February 2008 - 04:11 AM

I still have glue ear... I now have 4 noises in my ears =/

Trials in humans with NMDA antagonists are ongoing... Phase III trial was just completed for one drug.

I found this link up on a tinnitus support board. Those that have
tinnitus here may want to keep any eye on this treatment.

From their website

AM-101 is a small molecule that selectively blocks NMDA receptors in
the cochlea. Based on research conducted at the INSERM Institute for
Neurosciences of Montpellier, France, NMDA receptors can provoke
aberrant activity of the auditory nerve which is perceived as
tinnitus. NMDA receptors do not seem to be involved in fast excitatory
neurotransmission which is essential for hearing, but may be activated
due to some excitotoxic incident such as noise trauma or sudden deafness.

It could be shown in behavioural and electrophysiological models that
local administration of the NMDA antagonist AM-101 to animals
suffering from tinnitus effectively suppressed the perception of the
"phantom sound". The development of AM-101 was supported by Oséo
ANVAR, the French agency for the financing and support of small and
mid-sized business enterprises

http://www.aurismedi.../news.php?lg=en

#29 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 04:51 AM

It could be shown in behavioural and electrophysiological models that
local administration of the NMDA antagonist AM-101 to animals
suffering from tinnitus effectively suppressed the perception of the
"phantom sound". The development of AM-101 was supported by Oséo
ANVAR, the French agency for the financing and support of small and
mid-sized business enterprises

http://www.aurismedi.../news.php?lg=en

Wow, that would be great if it pans out. I wonder what they mean by "local administration"? Eardrops good, hole drilled in skull... bad.

#30 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 10:10 PM

Trials in humans with NMDA antagonists are ongoing... Phase III trial was just completed for one drug.

Did you ever give dextromethorphan a try? Amantadine is even better, with a nice long half life. I've been inspired by Anna Nicole Smith and Heath Ledger to try my hand at polypharmacy, and found that while amantadine and gabapentin on their own don't do anything for me, together they can have a nice muscle relaxing effect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users