* * * * * 1 votes

What's wrong with 5-HTP?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 FocusPocus

• 225 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 03:43 AM

Bumping this old thread up.

I seem to find that 5htp really helps my mood when I am down in the slumps.

So interested in long term use, I did some searching and reached the following conclusion: (Please correct me If I am wrong)

5Htp can be taken daily if you also supplement with

L-tyrosine/NALT (but DLPA is better);

N-Acetyl Cysteine (for the glutathione depleted by sulfur depletion from tyrosine supplementation); 

B6

B12

folate

Zn

Selenium

Administration of 5-HTP alone is contraindicated for 

depression and any process involving a catecholamine 
component due to its ability to facilitate depletion of these 
neurotransmitters. 5-HTP should be administered carefully in 
patients because depletion of dopamine and norepinephrine 
may exacerbate existing disease processes or precipitate 
onset of catecholamine-related problems.

Administering serotonin or dopamine amino acid 
precursors should never involve administration of only one 
amino acid. Improperly balanced amino acid precursors are 
associated with decreased efficacy, increased side effects, 
and depletion of the nondominant system.

Source: http://neurosupport....indications.pdf

Source: post by Biofreak in longecity

Does this mean that if I'm dosing L-tyrosine/NALT on its own, I need to supplement seratonin precursors like 5htp too?

#32 Dichotohmy

• 201 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 September 2014 - 04:30 AM

N-Acetyl Cysteine (for the glutathione depleted by sulfur depletion from tyrosine supplementation); 

B6

B12

folate

Zn

Selenium

I was taking all of those supplements, minus selenium, on my last 3-week trial of 100mg 5-htp nightly. I experienced the same negative effects talked about in this thread, with all things being equal besides the addition of 5-htp - IE increased apathy, increased anhedonia, derealization, gradually worsening fatigue, etc. The 5-htp showed promise during the first week, because I seemingly slept much better for a whole week after adding in the 100mg of 5-htp nightly, and I really needed quality sleep at that time (still do). Unfortunately, this sleep benefit quickly faded away at the 1-week mark - while the negative symptoms began to manifest around the 1-week mark as well.

It could just be that the old cliche of YMMV is really true, and it isn't worth overthinking ways to make 5-htp work better if it's just not for you.

Edited by Dichotohmy, 14 September 2014 - 04:33 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 04:34 AM

5HTP will cause heart valve issues if you take it without cardidopa, doing that also converts most serotonin in the blood so it's interesting to see that a minimal increase can help mood issues, unlike ldopa, for Parkinson but in that cause we are talking about extensive da damage while sero isn't really implicated in depression while having antidepressant effects, boosting normal levels.

#34 FocusPocus

• 225 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 04:36 AM

B6

B12

folate

Zn

Selenium

I was taking all of those supplements, minus selenium, on my last 3-week trial of 100mg 5-htp nightly. I experienced the same negative effects talked about in this thread, with all things being equal besides the addition of 5-htp - IE increased apathy, increased anhedonia, derealization, gradually worsening fatigue, etc. The 5-htp showed promise during the first week, because I seemingly slept much better for a whole week after adding in the 100mg of 5-htp nightly, and I really needed quality sleep at that time (still do). Unfortunately, this sleep benefit quickly faded away at the 1-week mark - while the negative symptoms began to manifest around the 1-week mark as well.

It could just be that the old cliche of YMMV is really true, and it isn't worth overthinking ways to make 5-htp work better if it's just not for you.

Damn thats such a dissapointment.

Do you think supplementing L-tryptophan (instead of 5htp) would be easier on the body?

@medievil: also i think EGCG can help with the heart valve problems

Edited by FocusPocus, 14 September 2014 - 04:37 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#35 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 04:50 AM

That's a big maybe, it has simular effects to cardidopa but like with all supplemets, they do 100 different things but all very weakly while you'd need the med approach here, selectivity and strong enough to prevent enough perished conversion.

But I guess you can test your blood for serotonin levels? No clue

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users