Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Skincare Regime

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#31 goatz

• 91 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:43 PM

Are the carcinogens that most sunscreens contain a concern ?

#32 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:12 PM

Eva. I've read before that you suggest waiting 1-2 hours after applying retin-a before using a moisturizer? Is this as good a strategy as the one you just mentioned? Also, I have a bottle of New Feeling by Life Enhancement and was wondering what your thoughts are of using this or Living Skin after applying retin-a?

http://www.life-enha...ate.asp?ID=1295

I will have to see the ingredients of the product to be able to answer your question. But everything I have learnt about active ingredients like Tretinoin it is better to use them without any additional moisturizer so they won't get diluted hence their effect minimized.
Otherwise moisturizers not only will weaken its strength but also make the skin to thicken the Epidermis which will also make penetration of the active ingredient (like Tretinoin) more difficult. It can also increase the risk of further irritation.

So I would not use any moisturizer after Retin-A. In stead would follow the newer recommendations from Dermatologists and use 1 inch(2,5cm) of the product on cleansed and dry skin in the evening. Massage it in till it is completely dissapeared in the skin.

Here it talks about the ingredients. http://www.life-enha...plate.asp?id=98

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:18 AM

Eva. I've read before that you suggest waiting 1-2 hours after applying retin-a before using a moisturizer? Is this as good a strategy as the one you just mentioned? Also, I have a bottle of New Feeling by Life Enhancement and was wondering what your thoughts are of using this or Living Skin after applying retin-a?

I will have to see the ingredients of the product to be able to answer your question. But everything I have learnt about active ingredients like Tretinoin it is better to use them without any additional moisturizer so they won't get diluted hence their effect minimized.
Otherwise moisturizers not only will weaken its strength but also make the skin to thicken the Epidermis which will also make penetration of the active ingredient (like Tretinoin) more difficult. It can also increase the risk of further irritation.

So I would not use any moisturizer after Retin-A. In stead would follow the newer recommendations from Dermatologists and use 1 inch(2,5cm) of the product on cleansed and dry skin in the evening. Massage it in till it is completely dissapeared in the skin.

Is there any possibility to view the ingredients list? All the ingredients listed on the packaging?

#34 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:58 AM

Hi eva, can you recommend (what a cliche this has become) a good cleanser?

I'm using Cetaphil and I'm noticing these little raised bumps that I think are from the cleanser. I know it stings quite a bit when I use it.

#35 spacey

• 241 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:06 PM

I'm using Cetaphil and I'm noticing these little raised bumps that I think are from the cleanser. I know it stings quite a bit when I use it.

Well one word of advice at least, don't use anything that contains menthol. It's incredibly irritating for the skin, at least for my skin.

#36 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 08:05 PM

Hi Ben - Aus!

I like very much Lactacyd Skin from Glaxo Smith Kline. Buy it at the pharmacy for like 5 EU. It does not contain too much Sodium Laureth Sulphate and no fragrance nor colour. It has Lactic Acid and ph 5.5. It won't irritate the skin and washes off easily. Cleanses well. What morre can you ask for?! :)
It was originally developed for the intim area and was called Femina but now it is called Skin and has a thicker more creamy consistence. It is really good as a face wash as well. It comes in a neutral white plastic bottle of 250ml. Not sure though you can buy it everywhere or it is just for the Scandinavian market.

http://www.gsk.com/products/index.htm

http://www.gsk.com/p...dw_lactacyd.htm

Consumer Healthcare
Posted Image Posted Image Product name
Lactacyd

• Major Markets
  • Europe
www.lactacyd.co.uk

Posted Image Posted Image
Lactacyd is a range of intimate and dry skin wash products for feminine protection and cleansing.

Posted Image Posted Image

#37 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 08:08 PM

I don't quite understand your question. Could you be so kind and reformulate it, please?
Did you mean whether sunscreens contain carcinogenic ingredients? Or they have a carcinogenic effect on skin cells?

#38 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 08:31 PM

Is there any possibility to view the ingredients list? All the ingredients listed on the packaging?

Cant find it on the net so here it goes:

Water (distilled and deionized), lactic acid, ammonium hydroxide, glycine, arginine (free base), tartaric acid, VAM-4 (Vitamins A, D3, and carotinol mix), malic acid, niacin (vitamin B3 as niacinamide), inositol, taurine, mannitol, polyquaternium 10, D-panthenol, citric acid, allantoin,polyphospheric acid, Liquipar PE, etidronic acid, imidurea, maltol.

#39 goatz

• 91 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 10:18 AM

I don't quite understand your question. Could you be so kind and reformulate it, please?
Did you mean whether sunscreens contain carcinogenic ingredients? Or they have a carcinogenic effect on skin cells?

Yes, sorry. Do the sunscreens contain carcinogenic ingredients ?

#40 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 11:29 AM

I like very much Lactacyd Skin from Glaxo Smith Kline.

Hmm I can't find it for sale anywhere. I can find the "ladies personal care" version though. Can I use it on my face? Is it still the same product?

Edited by Ben - Aus, 26 September 2008 - 12:29 PM.

#41 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 02:12 PM

Hmm I can't find it for sale anywhere. I can find the "ladies personal care" version though. Can I use it on my face? Is it still the same product?

That might be the one. Originally it was marketed as "ladies personal care" but GSK discovered that people used it on their faces hence the "new" version.

Otherwise I like LRP Lipicar Syndet Gel 200ml (15EU) but it contains a bit too much Sodium Laureth Sulfate though.

#42 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 02:14 PM

Cant find it on the net so here it goes:

Water (distilled and deionized), lactic acid, ammonium hydroxide, glycine, arginine (free base), tartaric acid, VAM-4 (Vitamins A, D3, and carotinol mix), malic acid, niacin (vitamin B3 as niacinamide), inositol, taurine, mannitol, polyquaternium 10, D-panthenol, citric acid, allantoin,polyphospheric acid, Liquipar PE, etidronic acid, imidurea, maltol.

I would rather use this product during the day under a sunscreen and Retin-A alone at night :)

#43 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 02:21 PM

Yes, sorry. Do the sunscreens contain carcinogenic ingredients ?

In the allowed concentration they won't do you harm. Some filtering agents were believed to cause cell death in contact with UVA rays but now it is proven that UV rays damage skin cells even more without protection.
If you are afraid of too much unnecessary chemicals on your skin I would recommend to use a physical sunscreen that contains TiO2 and ZnO.

Just for the record almost all artificial colouring agents allowed in cosmetics have a carcinogenic effect (like Carmine or Violet etc.)
Almost all preservatives in large quantities are carcinogenic as well. But without them your creams would be a pond of bacterias that could cause infections and wounds.

#44 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 03:09 AM

I would rather use this product during the day under a sunscreen and Retin-A alone at night

:)

Cheaper and more effective. Sounds like a plan.

#45 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 03:21 AM

That might be the one. Originally it was marketed as "ladies personal care" but GSK discovered that people used it on their faces hence the "new" version.

Otherwise I like LRP Lipicar Syndet Gel 200ml (15EU) but it contains a bit too much Sodium Laureth Sulfate though.

By ah... "Ladies personal care" I mean vagina cleaning fluid. The thought of using a product with that written on it, on my face, is an odd one.

I don't want to even imagine what one of my friends would say if they saw it in my medicine cabinet. No one shares that cabinet with me.

Edited by Ben - Aus, 27 September 2008 - 03:25 AM.

#46 wydell

• 503 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 04:49 AM

By ah... "Ladies personal care" I mean vagina cleaning fluid. The thought of using a product with that written on it, on my face, is an odd one.

I don't want to even imagine what one of my friends would say if they saw it in my medicine cabinet. No one shares that cabinet with me.

They would probably call you "vagina face" or something to that effect.

#47 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 06:15 AM

They would probably call you "vagina face" or something to that effect.

Or perhaps unkindly speculate that I am using it for its intended purpose.

#48 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 04:32 PM

It did not occurred to you to pour the content of the bottle into another one? Or remove the label? ;)

#49 spacey

• 241 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 08:47 PM

Is this the same one? I bought this at my local pharmacy
Lactacyd Skin Care Flytende hudvask oparfyrmerad
aqua, lauryl glucoside, cocamidopropyl betaine, lactic acid, coco-glucoside, glyceryl oleate, glycol distearate, glycern, sodium methylparaben.

Edited by spacey, 28 September 2008 - 08:48 PM.

#50 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:58 AM

It did not occurred to you to pour the content of the bottle into another one? Or remove the label? ;)

I'll just cross out the words "Vagina Care" and replace them with something like: "Super manly face soup".

Eva, is this the same product and can I still use it on my face considering that this is the vagina version and not the skin version that they sell in Scan.?

#51 Mia K.

• 176 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 01:32 PM

Thanks for a good laugh this a.m. :)

Now, I don't know if you're able to purchase Zia products, but if so you could buy this: http://www.zianatura...;iProductID=332 the "ultimate guy product," display it prominently in your medicine cabinet whilst hiding the other and thus convince all snoopers of your manly-man status. :)

Cheers, Mia (sorry to be so off-topic in Eva's thread)

#52 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 01:50 PM

Is this the same one? I bought this at my local pharmacy
Lactacyd Skin Care Flytende hudvask oparfyrmerad
aqua, lauryl glucoside, cocamidopropyl betaine, lactic acid, coco-glucoside, glyceryl oleate, glycol distearate, glycern, sodium methylparaben.

Yep! That's the one :)

#53 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 01:53 PM

It did not occurred to you to pour the content of the bottle into another one? Or remove the label? :)

Hi Ben!

As Spacey kindly posted the ingredients list it would be easier for you to compare it to the one they sell in AU.
Lactacyd Skin Care fragrance-free:

I'll just cross out the words "Vagina Care" and replace them with something like: "Super manly face soup".

Eva, is this the same product and can I still use it on my face considering that this is the vagina version and not the skin version that they sell in Scan.?

#54 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 12:04 AM

Has anyone tried Mexitan SPF 50?

http://www.mexitan.com

They also sell it in half gallon jugs. That come out to around $11.00 per bottle

#55 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 02:45 PM

Has anyone tried Mexitan SPF 50?

http://www.mexitan.com

They also sell it in half gallon jugs. That come out to around $11.00 per bottle

Ingredients: SPF50
22,5% ZnO 6% TiO2

http://www.mexitanpr...spf50label.html

High enough concentration of actives.
Too much oil :(
Eucalyptus oil should be removed from formulation!

#56 .fonclea.

• Guest, F@H
  • 300 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 05:29 PM

Hi,

I use this http://www.nivea.co....ucts/show/11493 for almost 8 years, i never use foundation.
For cleaning i use neutrogena cosmetic (to clear pore)
I have a quite sensitive skin.

Wich daily anti-aging cream would you recommend me or anything for hydratation ?
Brends to recommend/avoide ?

Thanks.

#57 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 02:29 PM

Hi,

I use this http://www.nivea.co....ucts/show/11493 for almost 8 years, i never use foundation.
For cleaning i use neutrogena cosmetic (to clear pore)
I have a quite sensitive skin.

Wich daily anti-aging cream would you recommend me or anything for hydratation ?
Brends to recommend/avoide ?

Thanks.

I assume this Moisturizing Day cream from Nivea has a low SPF and even lower UVA protection.
I would rather use a sunscreen like Bioderma Photoderm SPF50+ under it.
If you are young it is very probable that you don't need an additional day cream/ anti-aging creme.
If you are very dry you can try to use a hydrating serum like LRP Active C with vitamin C.
If you pile products on your face they won't do much for you. It is much better to use one active at a time + sunscreen in the morning and 1 active in the evening (like Retin-A).

If you let me know your skin type, age; your habits when it comes to the sun I'll be able to help you more specifically.

#58 kai73

• 43 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 09:53 AM

Thank you very much to the author of this thread for all the information provided.

I would ask you some advices for my skin. I am 35, male and live in north italy (sunny in summer/spring, mostly cloudy in winter/autumn). I work in an office and drive to work through smog for 30mins/day by motorbike.

I think i am lucky so far since people tend to give me 27-28 years, and i never used any cream on face and actually no sun protection (not even on summer). My skin has no wrinkles, it's brown (i mean i look a bit tanned even in winter).

what would you suggest ? i live in italy and it's very hard i can find a pharmacy to prepare a cream so i have to stick with commercial products.

are there also some foods/supplements to eat to save skin?

#59 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 07:04 PM

Thank you very much to the author of this thread for all the information provided.

I would ask you some advices for my skin. I am 35, male and live in north italy (sunny in summer/spring, mostly cloudy in winter/autumn). I work in an office and drive to work through smog for 30mins/day by motorbike.

I think i am lucky so far since people tend to give me 27-28 years, and i never used any cream on face and actually no sun protection (not even on summer). My skin has no wrinkles, it's brown (i mean i look a bit tanned even in winter).

what would you suggest ? i live in italy and it's very hard i can find a pharmacy to prepare a cream so i have to stick with commercial products.

Hi Kai!

As you write your skin is well pigmented and it gives you some natural protection against the environment esp. against the sun.
However I would still recommend using a photo-stable sunscreen all year around.
There are good commercially available products like Garnier or Nivea sunscreens for a reasonable price. They can be used alone without any additional moisturizer! (If you should pass by a pharmacy your option would be even better: Bioderma Photoderm fluide SPF50+, La Roche-Posay AntHelios fluide extreme SPF50+; Avene SUN Lotion SPF50+; these products have better UVA protection and don't contain any fragrance or colorants. You pay more but get less unnecessery chemicals in the same time ).

I would also recommend using a face wash every morning and evening to cleanse your skin from dead skin-cells, sebum and pollution.
There are many commercially available gels in supermarkets. Try to get hold of one that has no or very little fragrance and colorants.

Practically all food that are naturally/organically grown are richer in vitamins and minerals than commercially produced equivalents. Fruits and vegetables are good for you and hence for your skin.
tomato, carrots, green leaves (salad) are particularly healthy and benefit your skin.
Drinking green and white tea and applying it on your skin is a very good way keeping yourself healthy and young longer.

But the bottom line is that the most important thing in skin care is
every day usage of a good high UVA protective photo stable sunscreen
!

#60 kai73

• 43 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 07:13 AM

Hi Kai!

As you write your skin is well pigmented and it gives you some natural protection against the environment esp. against the sun.
However I would still recommend using a photo-stable sunscreen all year around.
There are good commercially available products like Garnier or Nivea sunscreens for a reasonable price. They can be used alone without any additional moisturizer! (If you should pass by a pharmacy your option would be even better: Bioderma Photoderm fluide SPF50+, La Roche-Posay AntHelios fluide extreme SPF50+; Avene SUN Lotion SPF50+; these products have better UVA protection and don't contain any fragrance or colorants. You pay more but get less unnecessery chemicals in the same time ).

I would also recommend using a face wash every morning and evening to cleanse your skin from dead skin-cells, sebum and pollution.
There are many commercially available gels in supermarkets. Try to get hold of one that has no or very little fragrance and colorants.

Practically all food that are naturally/organically grown are richer in vitamins and minerals than commercially produced equivalents. Fruits and vegetables are good for you and hence for your skin.
tomato, carrots, green leaves (salad) are particularly healthy and benefit your skin.
Drinking green and white tea and applying it on your skin is a very good way keeping yourself healthy and young longer.

But the bottom line is that the most important thing in skin care is
every day usage of a good high UVA protective photo stable sunscreen
!

thank you very much victoria !

So i don't need Retin-A in evening or any antioxidant cream in morning right? Just sunscreen and a washer?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users