• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Barbara Walter's: How To Live To Be 150

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 03:27 AM

I heard today that the special will be aired April 1st. I heard this from a reporters email. I searched and found this at AARP:

http://www.aarpmagaz...ra_walters.html

And this listing:

http://www.thefutonc...p;view=listings

My family's part pertained to cryonics--why we thought it might work, my children answered beautifully, I read out of "21st Century Kids" to them--so we won't know what makes it in till the special is aired, my part might be cut to almost nothing of course, or out entirely.

So, lets all hope this will bring many to look at the science behind extreme life extension, and its actual possibilities.

#2 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,050 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 07:54 AM

Mark your calendars everyone!

• Lurker

Posted 25 February 2008 - 07:57 AM

April fools day eh?

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Shannon Vyff

• Topic Starter
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 06:45 PM

Aubrey was interviewed for the piece too, I heard from him. That is great news, but yeah if you read Walter's comment about cryonics being 'weird' in the AARP piece--I'm sure all of it is sort of an April Fools, I just hope my family does not get cut because we were too 'normal'.

#5 bio123

• 86 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 01:45 PM

I thought Barbara Walters WAS 150 ;)

#6 Shannon Vyff

• Topic Starter
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 01:54 PM

She doesn't look her age, in person--certainly a decade younger ;)

#7 tripperm

• 13 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 12:39 AM

Just saw the Alcor announcement. Both my wife Venus and I were also interviewed for this episode. Glad Alcor announced it in their news bulletin or I would have missed it lol!

#8 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:09 AM

Coming up in a few days!

#9 tripperm

• 13 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:15 AM

Came across this link on ABC news where both Shannon and I are quoted (on page 2 of the article):

ABC News Cryonics Story

#10 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 12:13 PM

I saw the teaser on Good Morning America for the show tomorrow. They talked for a few minutes with Barbara Walters. Unfortunately she described cryonics as "pretty far out there" in relation to the other things she was talking about.

http://abcnews.go.co...o...3291&page=1

Edited by Live Forever, 31 March 2008 - 12:15 PM.

#11 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 05:38 PM

Does anyone know if there's a place on the net where i can see the show?

#12 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 07:04 PM

The Freakonomics guys blogged about it:
http://freakonomics....live-to-be-150/

#13 Shannon Vyff

• Topic Starter
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 01:51 AM

Tripper--HI!

If anyone wants to come chat with me--I'll be in the ImmInst chat room during the show :) http://www.imminst.org/chat/

#14 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 01:51 AM

Starts in less than 10 minutes, just fyi for everyone.

#15 Shannon Vyff

• Topic Starter
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 01:56 AM

No one is in chat yet--come join me, or else I'll be quite lonely! http://www.imminst.org/chat/

#16 Shannon Vyff

• Topic Starter
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:43 AM

Thanks to those who have come, if anyone else would still like to join-we'll be in the chat room a while longer--the show runs for 20 more minutes.

#17 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:11 AM

I wanna know where i can see the show on the internet!

#18 Shannon Vyff

• Topic Starter
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:13 AM

At the end of the airing, they listed that you can purchase the show from their site--I bet they'll be protecting the copyright.

#19 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:14 AM

The show was awesome! Shannon's part was spectacular (if short). I will keep my eyes out for it on the internet and post the link if I see it.

#20 Shannon Vyff

• Topic Starter
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:20 AM

You go to this site, and type 'Freezing Yourself Into the Future' into the search field on the upper left part of the page. Then you can view the 'Freezing Yourself Into the Future' show : http://abcnews.go.co...o...3291&page=1

If someone knows how to put that video here, it would be great.

#21 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:21 AM

How many ImmInsters were on the show? I saw Aubrey, Shannon, Tripperm, sjayo... probably others. Who were those CR people? David Sinclair has been talked about so much here, he should count as an honorary member.

Should do a bit for the meme.

#22 Shannon Vyff

• Topic Starter
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:28 AM

This link is to their Calorie Restriction story: http://abcnews.go.co...o...8070&page=1

#23 Shannon Vyff

• Topic Starter
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:32 AM

This is the link to the talk of Dr. Lanza's work:

http://abcnews.go.co...o...3291&page=1

#24 dnamechanic

• Life Member
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:34 AM

Who were those CR people?

They hang out at the CR Society.

Communication within the Society is often via CR Society mailing list and CR Community mailing list.

Should do a bit for the meme.

Yes I agree, very good.

Good evidence that the 'longevity meme' is spreading.

#25 Shannon Vyff

• Topic Starter
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:36 AM

I've met all the CR people there, Michael Rae was on too, but didn't get to talk.

#26 lucid

• 1,195 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:43 AM

You and your family looked great Shannon! I enjoyed the first part of the show, but unfortunately the show switched from talking about ways to keep from getting old to just talking to normal old people.

#27 dnamechanic

• Life Member
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:46 AM

Great work Shannon, both you and your children.

Was that Avianna speaking about cryonics better than the alternative?

#28 Shannon Vyff

• Topic Starter
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 04:12 AM

Yes, in the interview she also talked about how frogs have sugar in their cells that causes the ice to be rounded and protect them, and how vitrification formulas help protect humans. She even mentioned the cat brains that had normal looking electrical activity. While she was watching tonight she said "I bet they won't show where I corrected her (Barbara Walters)" :).

To clarify, that is my ex in the video--so it is doubtful he'll see me in the future if cryonics works and I'm there, he has not kept up his arrangements with Alcor as far as I know.

I was happy that the piece was positive, even if my talking about religion, calorie restriction, the Methuselah Foundation, my advocacy and writing--were all left out. It was nice to be a face for cryonics. If I get on Oprah, I hope to get to talk more :~

#29 Shannon Vyff

• Topic Starter
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 04:14 AM

My husband says that they did my hair and makeup all 'Chalie's Angels' style :) My eldest Avianna, age 11 now--looked so young, only 9 there...

So can we put that video up in this thread, or is it protected?

#30 Shannon Vyff

• Topic Starter
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 04:31 AM

The whole show was liking watching an ImmInst show, the same stuff we talk about here all the time!

It was geared towards older baby boomers for sure, especially the talk about older people increasing in power, gaining respect--and their interviewing inspirational active 100 and 101 year olds--still working, driving and doing all their own yard work. The 76 super model, was hot! I hope to look that good at her age--Paul Newman looks his age, but acts younger--and it is amazing how he has donated millions to charity.

I liked how they warned against using growth hormones, and focused on calorie restriction, supplements--plus the work of Dr. Lanza, and Dr. Aubrey de Grey. Aubrey was at the very beginning, and they used him saying why he was an Alcor member, as a segue into the Alcor piece. Dr. Terry Grossman was in with the medical view of what can be done, and Kurzweil with his 150plus supplements a day. I could tell Barbara Walter's was irritated about aging, in person--and it came through on the show, yet cryonics is too 'out there' for her she told me... ah well--I told her if it worked, and humans colonized other planets she'd be intergalactic someday (this was a cheesy joke, she laughed--it was not serious!). She was most interested in asking me questions about the 'soul' and if cryonics would be 'allowed' to work. They had asked my ex, why he did cryonics--and he said he learned about it from me, that was all totally left out! Plus at the end of the video on the net, I'm reading out of my book to the kids, during the interview Barbara picked the book up and read a bit--animatedly, too bad that didn't use it. They did do other cutsey things she did, like her expressions after taking a sip of wine, that she'd need a 1000 glasses. Also, her driving 150mph with Paul Newman. --The whole show, should bring some new interest into the field of extreme life extension, and I hope ultimately Cryonics--I'll ask Jennifer to post an update in a few weeks--with the response Alcor received from the show. I put some info about Cryonics Institute into the comments under the articles at the ABC news site, hopefully they'll get an increase in queries from all this publicity too! I'll ask Ben. Well, Brenda Kovig has an upcoming documentary about life extension, as does Michael Arth. I know both of those will have cryonics, since I will be in them. The upcoming documentary about Kurzweil I'm not so sure, although I know his people have been in contact with Alcor, he has told Aubrey to the effect that it will be his 'backup' if he doesn't get to live forever now--so nothing final on that front yet (his being a cryonicist). Still, it is great to see the meme getting out there more, of life extension :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users