Photo
- - - - -

Buzz from Juiced or Blended Vegetables or Fresh Wheat Grass

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 09:08 PM

Recently I have been getting a variety of vegetables each week chopping them up and making a blend which I stuff in a blender each day adding it to my morning whey protein shake. I find it hard to consume a lot of raw vegetables daily so this is a good way for me.

Anyways every time I drink this concoction especially with certain green leafy vegetables I get a "buzz", definitely a good feeling and very noticeable. No its not a sugar rush (I dont get these) or anything so mundane. I get the same buzz with even more intensity when I drink a few ounces of freshly juiced wheatgrass (from juice bars that do this). Also back in highschool when the "jucing frenzy" and "the juiceman" were in full force my family bought a juicer and I remember getting the same buzz from juicing mainly lots of dark green vegetables.

Note I do not get the same effect from "green powders" or dried supplements.

Any ideas on what this effect is? Its not vit B5 or something from any standard vitamin or mineral as I have taken them all at high and low dosages.

#2 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 04:17 PM

Recently I have been getting a variety of vegetables each week chopping them up and making a blend which I stuff in a blender each day adding it to my morning whey protein shake. I find it hard to consume a lot of raw vegetables daily so this is a good way for me.

Anyways every time I drink this concoction especially with certain green leafy vegetables I get a "buzz", definitely a good feeling and very noticeable. No its not a sugar rush (I dont get these) or anything so mundane. I get the same buzz with even more intensity when I drink a few ounces of freshly juiced wheatgrass (from juice bars that do this). Also back in highschool when the "jucing frenzy" and "the juiceman" were in full force my family bought a juicer and I remember getting the same buzz from juicing mainly lots of dark green vegetables.

Note I do not get the same effect from "green powders" or dried supplements.

Any ideas on what this effect is? Its not vit B5 or something from any standard vitamin or mineral as I have taken them all at high and low dosages.

I notice this ab it from my kale smoothies. I just bought some wheatgrass to throw in the smoothie mix too.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 04:46 PM

I notice this ab it from my kale smoothies. I just bought some wheatgrass to throw in the smoothie mix too.

Edward, I'm as perplexed as you. I've started added 2 cups of cut wheatgrass to my kale smoothies and the energizing effect is much more pronounced. I wouldn't be surprised if there is some phytochemical that is a stimulant in wheatgrass.

#4 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 05:12 PM

I'm afraid you guys have caught a case of the hippie. I recommend lots of anti-bacterial soap and rare steak until it passes.
  • like x 2
  • dislike x 1
  • Enjoying the show x 1

#5 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 06:25 PM

I'm afraid you guys have caught a case of the hippie. I recommend lots of anti-bacterial soap and rare steak until it passes.

Lol, good one.

#6 4eva

• 426 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 03:49 AM

I might think it is the chloraphyll but don't know for sure.

The other thing is that this seems to happen when the dark green veggies are juiced; so there may be something about breaking down cell walls to release something that may not be released from chewing those same dark grean leafy veggies. Or maybe chewing doesn't release this something as quickly. Or maybe juicing provides a larger amount in an easily ingested form.

But most people seem to have a reaction to something like wheatgrass juice if the shot is large enough for some reason.

#7 edward

• Topic Starter
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 04:58 AM

Lol, I've got to balance out all my carnivorous deplete the world of resources low carb tendancies (until we get lab created steak that is)...

Anyways back to juiced veggies, when I create this thread way back 7 months ago when, no one replied to it so I just thought I was the only one with this reaction but apparently not.

Edward, I'm as perplexed as you. I've started added 2 cups of cut wheatgrass to my kale smoothies and the energizing effect is much more pronounced. I wouldn't be surprised if there is some phytochemical that is a stimulant in wheatgrass.

I thought the same thing, I tried dried wheatgrass powder and tablets and the same reaction is not there. It may be something that degrades rather quickly so no matter how you dry freeze or whatever the wheatgrass the chemical won't hold up.

I also think a lot of the absorption of this mystery chemical happens sublingually and buccally as if you hold the wheatgrass in your mouth swish it around then swallow the effect seems to be more pronounced. It may be some sort of histamine effect in the brain? Just a thought? Or simply green goodness from mother earth giving us positive reinforcement ( out out d@mn hippie thoughts....)

#8 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 05:14 AM

Lol, I've got to balance out all my carnivorous deplete the world of resources low carb tendancies (until we get lab created steak that is)...

Anyways back to juiced veggies, when I create this thread way back 7 months ago when, no one replied to it so I just thought I was the only one with this reaction but apparently not.

I thought the same thing, I tried dried wheatgrass powder and tablets and the same reaction is not there. It may be something that degrades rather quickly so no matter how you dry freeze or whatever the wheatgrass the chemical won't hold up.

I also think a lot of the absorption of this mystery chemical happens sublingually and buccally as if you hold the wheatgrass in your mouth swish it around then swallow the effect seems to be more pronounced. It may be some sort of histamine effect in the brain? Just a thought? Or simply green goodness from mother earth giving us positive reinforcement ( out out d@mn hippie thoughts....)

Well edward, as I'm sure you're aware, Mother Gaia places "portal foods" in our midst in order that we may open up the energy passages in our minds. Kind of like those special mushrooms that grow in cow poop. Or a sixer of PBR. So anyway, wheatgrass, huh? I better look into this. In the interest of science.

#9 edward

• Topic Starter
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 05:27 PM

Well edward, as I'm sure you're aware, Mother Gaia places "portal foods" in our midst in order that we may open up the energy passages in our minds. Kind of like those special mushrooms that grow in cow poop. Or a sixer of PBR. So anyway, wheatgrass, huh? I better look into this. In the interest of science.

LOL

#10 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 09:33 PM

Could it just be the added carbohydrate? Taking a lot of carbohydrate, especially when I've been restricting for awhile (fasting, sleeping, ketosis), gives me a huge boost in energy.
  • dislike x 1

#11 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 09:42 PM

Yeah, that first box of Fruity Pebbles on the carb-up is epic.

#12 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 10:30 PM

Yeah, that first box of Fruity Pebbles on the carb-up is epic.

Shame the dried wheat-grass doesn't produce a similar stimulant effect. I can just imagine a whole generation of people crushing and snorting grass :-D

#13 bellowzen

• 1 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:01 AM

I just want to say this happens to me too but not with wheat-grass. I juice a green vegetables and it gives me a buzz. You think maybe there is a bacteria or something that lives on green vegetables, sense these are not cooked or dried or processed in any way?

#14 blueinfinity

• 122 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:03 PM

i know this is an old topic but just had another juice this morning and thought id add my 2 cents:

I just juiced orange, carrot, beet, ginger - a noticeable increase in energy, maybe lasting 30-45 minutes with the majority of the rush lasting only the first 15-20 minutes. After about 45 minutes, seems to go back to baseline, but markedly more alert and "crisp" feeling in though, very consistently increase in energy but nothing like the feeling of an "energy drink", I usually add a little greens but did this only cause i ran out, but i can noticed a different without the greens.

However, if i add a little greens, i can consistently feel a increase in baseline energy, (ie) half -2/3 bundle of kale then i get this huge crisp, clean, clear energy, unlike any other "energy drink" or stimulant, its more like my body is surging with energy, whereas the stimulants and other drugs seem to mees more with my heart/brain.

#15 Gerrans

• 372 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:45 PM

I have had this sort of reaction to a number of foods. And I have come to the conclusion that it owes to the thermogenesis of digestion. The action of breaking down certain foods generates warmth, and this can give the effect of a sense of mental buzz or glow, almost a slight spacing out for a bit--even if one is not physically aware of any increased warmth, as such. The satisfaction of a good meal is a related phenomenon. It is not to do with glucose spikes, because one can experience this state without feeling drowsy--in fact, it can stimulate cognitive work. Just an opinion.
  • like x 1

#16 LexLux

• 265 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:29 PM

I have the same reaction to cooked broccoli - every time. 

Edited by LexLux, 10 April 2014 - 09:31 PM.

#17 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 September 2020 - 03:42 PM

are buzz/stoned/high and dizzy the same etc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users