• Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Removal of the amygdala(s)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pjmc

Posted 08 April 2008 - 01:26 AM

I just want to throw this out there, would removing one's amygdala erase symptoms of OCD/anxiety/phobias in a patient who suffers from them? I have heard of epileptic sufferers having theirs removed and this actually stopped the seizures from occuring (these were people who were resistant to drug therapy).

Thanks for any info. And I hope this doesn't scare any of you, just asking out of curiosity.

Take care

#2 niner Re: Removal of the amygdala(s)

Posted 08 April 2008 - 03:28 AM

I just want to throw this out there, would removing one's amygdala erase symptoms of OCD/anxiety/phobias in a patient who suffers from them? I have heard of epileptic sufferers having theirs removed and this actually stopped the seizures from occuring (these were people who were resistant to drug therapy).

Thanks for any info. And I hope this doesn't scare any of you, just asking out of curiosity.

Interesting idea. What effect did this have on the personality of people who had their amygdala removed? At first glance, it seems like it could be a plus in the modern world...

#3 drmz Re: Removal of the amygdala(s)

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:49 AM

I think you would be less able or not at all able to recognize faces. Probably you'll get something that looks like the capgras syndrome.
I would not recommend it ;)

sponsored ad

#4 JonesGuy Re: Removal of the amygdala(s)

Posted 08 April 2008 - 12:26 PM

The amygdala is extremely important, and is vital to having an emotional flavour in our experience.
A lot of people think we don't really want emotions, but they're wrong. Emotions are a type of cognitive function and are a form of intelligence. A person losing an amygdala would have a drastic reduction in intelligence and comprehension.

An example: a woman lost a portion of her amydala and no longer experienced fear. Not only that, but she lost the ability to perceive, recognise, or understand fear. An entire branch of understanding was lost to her.

Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, coupled with memory drugs would be far more useful in removing anxiety.

#5 ADA Re: Removal of the amygdala(s)

Posted 11 November 2008 - 12:43 AM

I personally believe this is based on each individual situation per their health issues. Personally I have dealt with multiple rapes and one as a gang rape and physical assault and will tell you that prior I was a fearless physically healthy person and since then I have had adrenaline rushes for 12 years of intense fear for my life that it is now damaging my connective tissue and muscles & now I am seeing a cardiologist at age 35 to make sure my heart is intact after all the stress. My amygdala indeed seems to be in serious overdrive due to the unconscious memory of these serious things that happened upon waking up in such shock. Nothing I do helps to make the flooding of fear and cortisol stop. My life has now stopped. I would remove mine in a minute to feel like I used to... That would probably save my life! And I am seriously looking into it.

sponsored ad

#6 forever freedom Re: Removal of the amygdala(s)

Posted 11 November 2008 - 01:01 AM

It will be good if in the future we are able to locate exact areas of the brain that are responsible for any mental condition the person may have and make changes there using nanotech. No more countless years of useless therapy needed for these people...

[b] [/b]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.
[b][/b]