2. CBD is a powerful anti-oxidant
3. Cannabis lowers body temp
4. Lowers stress hormone levels
5. Lowers inflammation

Considerations;

1. only vaporization or oral absorbtion are healthy long-term
2. small regular doses are more appropriate than getting stoned
3. avoid the munchies
4. Selegiline could be used to eliminate dopamine dysfunction from long-term use (maybe unneccessary with proper dosage)
  • like x 1
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#2 jackinbox

• 452 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 01:21 PM

If it doesn't make you live longer, at least you will be cool about it. :D
  • like x 5

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 April 2008 - 01:28 PM

lol
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#4 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 07:18 PM

lol

MAye it will just make it seem longer.

#5 lucid

• 1,195 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 07:25 PM

http://video.google....5...h&plindex=0
'nuff said'

#6 resveratrol

• 340 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 12:48 AM

The jail time involved when the cops bust you is highly likely to have a negative effect on total lifespan.
  • like x 2
  • Good Point x 1

#7 Futurist1000

• 438 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 01:34 AM

I don't know if that's such a great idea. Using cannabis may shrink your brain (at leasts in schizophrenics), not sure what it would do in normal people.
Cannabis use contributes to brain volume loss in schizophrenia

Cannabis-using patients with schizophrenia showed significantly larger loss of gray matter volume, and greater lateral ventricle and third ventricle enlargement, than did patients not using cannabis and healthy controls, the report indicates.

I think messing with the cannibinoid system is setting yourself up for trouble. Activation of CB1 receptors in neuroprotective, however cannabis causes downregulation of those receptors over time. So it may actually increase brain cell death in the long run.

Edited by hrc579, 11 April 2008 - 01:38 AM.

• Good Point x 1

#8 StrangeAeons

• Guest, F@H
  • 732 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 04:04 AM

I'm just gonna take a gander here and posit that whatever potential physiological benefit you may got from pot/THC will be utterly compromised by the potentiation of dementia, schizophrenia, and other cog/neuro issues. Remember, if you're not of sound mind when you get older your longevity plans aren't worth jack.
  • Good Point x 1

#9 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 04:21 AM

I'm just gonna take a gander here and posit that whatever potential physiological benefit you may got from pot/THC will be utterly compromised by the potentiation of dementia, schizophrenia, and other cog/neuro issues.

That is the common sense conclusion, extrapolating from the stereotypical stoner I assume, but science tells a different story:

Mol Pharm. 2006 Nov-Dec;3(6):773-7.Click here to read Links
A molecular link between the active component of marijuana and Alzheimer's disease pathology.
Eubanks LM, Rogers CJ, Beuscher AE 4th, Koob GF, Olson AJ, Dickerson TJ, Janda KD.

Department of Chemistry and Immunology, The Skaggs Institute for Chemical Biology, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA.

Alzheimer's disease is the leading cause of dementia among the elderly, and with the ever-increasing size of this population, cases of Alzheimer's disease are expected to triple over the next 50 years. Consequently, the development of treatments that slow or halt the disease progression have become imperative to both improve the quality of life for patients and reduce the health care costs attributable to Alzheimer's disease. Here, we demonstrate that the active component of marijuana, Delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), competitively inhibits the enzyme acetylcholinesterase (AChE) as well as prevents AChE-induced amyloid beta-peptide (Abeta) aggregation, the key pathological marker of Alzheimer's disease. Computational modeling of the THC-AChE interaction revealed that THC binds in the peripheral anionic site of AChE, the critical region involved in amyloidgenesis. Compared to currently approved drugs prescribed for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease, THC is a considerably superior inhibitor of Abeta aggregation, and this study provides a previously unrecognized molecular mechanism through which cannabinoid molecules may directly impact the progression of this debilitating disease.

• like x 2
  • WellResearched x 1

#10 clay

• 22 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 05:02 AM

The jail time involved when the cops bust you is highly likely to have a negative effect on total lifespan.

You know I could be completely off on this but I seem to recall that people that have spent time in prison actually lived longer on average. Anyone else hear of this study?
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#11 abolitionist

• Topic Starter
  • 720 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:04 AM

I think excessive use of any substance would be detrimental. The dosage would have to be standardized and kept at levels low enough to avoid psychedelic responses - which is entirely possible - but very few who use the substance actually do this i imagine.

#12 Agarikon

• 45 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:52 AM

We should be promoting canabis simply because of the fact that people are more suseptible to new ideas while stoned.
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#13 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 09:25 PM

We should be promoting canabis simply because of the fact that people are more suseptible to new ideas while stoned.

Especially bad ideas. Jack ass.
  • dislike x 10
  • Unfriendly x 2
  • Good Point x 1

#14 abolitionist

• Topic Starter
  • 720 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 04:08 AM

let's keep the personal attacks out of this

overuse can make one stupid without question but he's right that it can lead to new ways of thinking and remove inhibition from creative facilities
  • like x 4

#15 abolitionist

• Topic Starter
  • 720 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 04:13 AM

I'm just gonna take a gander here and posit that whatever potential physiological benefit you may got from pot/THC will be utterly compromised by the potentiation of dementia, schizophrenia, and other cog/neuro issues.

That is the common sense conclusion, extrapolating from the stereotypical stoner I assume, but science tells a different story:

A molecular link between the active component of marijuana and Alzheimer's disease pathology.
Eubanks LM, Rogers CJ, Beuscher AE 4th, Koob GF, Olson AJ, Dickerson TJ, Janda KD.

Department of Chemistry and Immunology, The Skaggs Institute for Chemical Biology, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA.

Alzheimer's disease is the leading cause of dementia among the elderly, and with the ever-increasing size of this population, cases of Alzheimer's disease are expected to triple over the next 50 years. Consequently, the development of treatments that slow or halt the disease progression have become imperative to both improve the quality of life for patients and reduce the health care costs attributable to Alzheimer's disease. Here, we demonstrate that the active component of marijuana, Delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), competitively inhibits the enzyme acetylcholinesterase (AChE) as well as prevents AChE-induced amyloid beta-peptide (Abeta) aggregation, the key pathological marker of Alzheimer's disease. Computational modeling of the THC-AChE interaction revealed that THC binds in the peripheral anionic site of AChE, the critical region involved in amyloidgenesis. Compared to currently approved drugs prescribed for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease, THC is a considerably superior inhibitor of Abeta aggregation, and this study provides a previously unrecognized molecular mechanism through which cannabinoid molecules may directly impact the progression of this debilitating disease.

The drug czars have been creating evidence against cannabis for a long time - but of course their goal is to demonize a substance rather than find ways for it to be useful and determine useful guidelines.

Because they fear that society will be less competitive - ultimately hurting GNP and the trickle up economy of the rich.

In a capitalistic democracy - we are fodder for GNP.

The government seeks to increase GNP as much as possible and especially in relation to other countries - but do we try the same for longevity and happiness? Or scientific progress?

Of course not.
  • Good Point x 1

#16 wayside

• 344 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 04:20 PM

let's keep the personal attacks out of this

Maybe he is referring to this: Jackass the series

:~
  • dislike x 2

#17 yoyo

• 582 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 04:47 PM

The drug czars have been creating evidence against cannabis for a long time - but of course their goal is to demonize a substance rather than find ways for it to be useful and determine useful guidelines.

Because they fear that society will be less competitive - ultimately hurting GNP and the trickle up economy of the rich.

In a capitalistic democracy - we are fodder for GNP.

The government seeks to increase GNP as much as possible and especially in relation to other countries - but do we try the same for longevity and happiness? Or scientific progress?

Of course not.

it has a lot more to do with stoking middle class fears and demonizing hippies and mexicans than anything to do with GDP
  • Good Point x 1

#18 StrangeAeons

• Guest, F@H
  • 732 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 05:44 PM

So it's an AChE inhibitor. So is neostigmine, insecticide, and nerve gas. You could take L-Huperzine and choline supplements without the associated risks of its psychoactive properties; and that's leaving aside the damage to your lungs and the possible weight gain from increased appetite. One good property doesn't salvage marijuana. As per the social issues, I don't think the government has any business regulating the stuff or scaring people away from it; but the fact that "the man" doesn't want you to use it shouldn't influence your judgment about the health issue one way or the other.
  • dislike x 1
  • Ill informed x 1

#19 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 01:23 PM

Ask Jerry Garcia if it worked?

#20 GBM0106

• 1 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 06:51 AM

Reefer Madness has longevity that continues to amaze me. Yes, the propaganda movie created to fool the masses into believing the benign weed was an immoral step into social catastrophe, is still influencing opinions. This is my introduction to the forums, which I found through a search for "longevity cannabis". Why was I searching? Because I'm convinced this weed is the closest thing to a fountain of youth as there is and I will forever be promoting the substance as such and for general good health. I've only my personal experience as a subject, along with filtering through the internet, to base my opinion, but my personal experience is pretty special.
In June of '08, two and a half years after having a GBM tumor removed from my right temporal lobe, I suffered my third seizure. The previous two preceded the discovery of my brain cancer and new median life expectancy of 16 months given in January of 06 at age 52. After that 3rd seizure, an immediate MRI showed no new tumor, suggesting it was the result of having had brain surgery and radiation therapy. Keppra, with its known side effect of irritability, was prescribed. Ater 3 weeks, I'd determined the irritability was beyond my tolerance level, and learned of reports of success in treating epileptic seizures with cannabis. I changed my anti-seizure medication and have been a daily user ever since. My daily habit involves a wake and bake bongtoke, with a few more puffs on a doobie during the day and another couple of bongtokes in the evening. I'm convinced that by supplementing my endocannabinoid system I'm healthier and freer from sickness than I've ever been, as well as continuing to be seizure and tumor free. I have a chronic cough that surfaces a few times a day, but have excellent lung capacity along with the ability and habit of walking several miles a day, much of it while carrying a golf bag and maitaining a handicap in the mid-80s.
Anything negative that you read and/or believe about cannabis is letting your fears inhibit your sense of adventure and road to discovery. I'm outliving every modern medical expectation and 99% of other similarly diagnosed patients, and I'm giving 80% credit to the oldest medicine on earth. The other 20% would be from the same genes that gave me brain cancer, so the cannabis may be 100% responsible.
Every informed and responsible citizen should be devoting as much energy as possible to ending the drug war and the lies that extend it.
  • like x 1
  • Informative x 1
  • Agree x 1

#21 shaggy

• 282 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 03:17 PM

For longevity, doubt it...

I'd be very surpised seeing as cannabis and particularly THC's have a negative effect on the heart and circulatory system. Serious tachycardia and PVC's are common if used in high doses. Heart attacks and stroke are a real possibilty if there are underlying conditions.

See here for it's health benefits... :-)

http://herbalcapsule.../cardiovascular

#22 9H}@}C\%kmFHOB#?X

• 63 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:15 AM

I'm going to do some serious research on this!

Posted Image

But first, maybe I'll get a little high.

(Edit: This is a joke. For those who don't get the reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Towelie)

Edited by Watson, 17 July 2011 - 11:24 AM.

• like x 3
  • dislike x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

#23 abolitionist

• Topic Starter
  • 720 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:36 AM

http://www.worldheal...nefit_aging_br/ ;

"Researchers at Ohio State University say that they have found evidence suggesting that compounds found in the recreational drug marijuana may benefit the aging brain by reducing inflammation and stimulating the growth of new brain cells.."

http://www.worldheal..._cells_to_dest/ ;

"THC, the active ingredient in marijuana, causes brain cancer cells to undergo a process called autophagy in which cells feed upon themselves, according to a study conducted by Guillermo Velasco and colleagues at Complutense University in Spain."

http://www.worldheal...event_alzheime/ ;

"A recent study conducted by scientists at the Scripps Research Institute in California has found smoking marijuana may stave off Alzheimer's disease. The experts say the active ingredient in the substance could prevent the disease by retaining the level of a neurotransmitter that is essential in the operation of the brain.
Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, preserves the neurotransmitter acetylcholine better than current drugs which are administered to patients in hospitals. THC blocks clumps of protein blamed for damaging cognition and memory among patients of Alzheimer's."

http://beforeitsnews...ity-957324.html ;

"A 125-year-old woman, said to be one of the oldest women in India, died at her home in Orissa, her family said Sunday. Fulla Nayak claimed that smoking cannabis every day was her secret to long life."

http://www.cannabisc....com/node/20290 ;

"In a recent news story "Expert Testifies Cannabis Helps Slow Aging", Dr. Robert Melamede, a University of Colorado at Colorado Springs biology professor, and former head of the UCCS biology department stated that:

"You can look at the harm caused by free radicals as biological friction or biological rust and the endocannabinoid1 system minimizes the impact of that and directly acts as an antioxidant as well as modifying the biochemistry in a way that minimizes the impacts," said Melamede outside court Thursday, likening endocannabinoids to humans like oil is to cars. He said if you don’t have lubrication in your car, your car breaks. In the human body, the damage comes in the form of age-related diseases.
"I’m saying what science has now shown is that marijuana and cannabinoids are effective anti-aging agents which means that they are effective in minimizing the onset and the severity of age-related illnesses which include cognitive dysfunction things like Alzheimers, cardiovascular disease, be it heart attacks, strokes, or clogged arteries," he said. (Newham, 2008)"

Edited by abolitionist, 17 December 2012 - 02:47 AM.

• WellResearched x 1

#24 abolitionist

• Topic Starter
  • 720 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

http://www.kurzweila...tm_medium=email ;

"A team from the University’s Institute of Biodiversity, Animal Health and Comparative Medicine altered the growth rate of 240 fish by exposing them to brief cold or warm spells, which put them behind or ahead their normal growth schedule.
Once the environmental temperature was returned to normal, the fish got back on track by accelerating or slowing their growth accordingly. However, the change in growth rate also affected their rate of aging."

--------------------------

So would slightly lowering body temperature increase lifespan?

#25 simonpc123

• 10 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

It will ruin my CR

#26 YOLF

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:01 PM

Hmmm....

Bad
Munchies generally mean faster metabolism.
Vaporizing green plant matter can accumulate water in the lungs and lead to pneumonia
Inhibits testosterone which can lead to cancers
Depresses the immune system
CBD causes headaches in large quantities
Specific mechanisms of benefit unknown, therefore benefits may have unknown risks
Overuse can lead to lower IQ
Can lead to metabolic syndrome

Good
0 overdose death
Most cannibinoids are anti-oxidant in nature though orac values have not been established
Lowers inflammation
Casual use has nootropic benefits such as higher IQ
May prevent smoking related cancers and delay ALZ

I think pot has some medical uses, but it's definitely not good for men's health as the consequences of lowering T are always bad for a healthy individual. Might be ok for women to use it infrequently. People have been smoking pot for 1000s of years, I haven't heard of any life extension benefit coming from it in the history books. Selegine is bad for you IMHO and I wouldn't risk it. There are better options on the horizon and there are no regulations in place to restrict the fertilizers and additives. Just look how much unhealthy crap they throw on tobacco to make it grow more... I wouldn't consider using it until you could grow it yourself or they regulate it and food better.

Had a friend relate this idea to me, posted for discussion purposes;

The use of Cannabis to increase longevity;

1. Cannabis slows down the metabolism
2. CBD is a powerful anti-oxidant
3. Cannabis lowers body temp
4. Lowers stress hormone levels
5. Lowers inflammation

Considerations;

1. only vaporization or oral absorbtion are healthy long-term
2. small regular doses are more appropriate than getting stoned
3. avoid the munchies
4. Selegiline could be used to eliminate dopamine dysfunction from long-term use (maybe unneccessary with proper dosage)

Edited by cryonicsculture, 07 January 2013 - 10:04 PM.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#27 YOLF

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:06 PM

Video not available

http://video.google....5...h&plindex=0
'nuff said'

#28 YOLF

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:12 PM

Inflammation causes an increase in cell volume, did they control for the affect of anti-inflammation caused by the pot? Pot is a very potent anti-inflammatory as far as the brain is concerned. Do schizo's present more neuro inflammation?

I don't know if that's such a great idea. Using cannabis may shrink your brain (at leasts in schizophrenics), not sure what it would do in normal people.
Cannabis use contributes to brain volume loss in schizophrenia

Cannabis-using patients with schizophrenia showed significantly larger loss of gray matter volume, and greater lateral ventricle and third ventricle enlargement, than did patients not using cannabis and healthy controls, the report indicates.

I think messing with the cannibinoid system is setting yourself up for trouble. Activation of CB1 receptors in neuroprotective, however cannabis causes downregulation of those receptors over time. So it may actually increase brain cell death in the long run.

• Off-Topic x 1

#29 YOLF

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:17 PM

You know I could be completely off on this but I seem to recall that people that have spent time in prison actually lived longer on average. Anyone else hear of this study?

That's what I thought too. I figure prisoners just work out all day.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 abolitionist

• Topic Starter
  • 720 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:05 AM

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC1253627/ ;

"Cannabinoids promote embryonic and adult hippocampus neurogenesis and produce anxiolytic- and antidepressant-like effects"

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/17195878 ;

"Research update: neurogenesis in adult brain and neuropsychiatric disorders."

Edited by abolitionist, 08 January 2013 - 12:06 AM.

• Informative x 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users