Photo
- - - - -

Need help choosing supplement

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 iostream71

• 14 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 06:44 AM

I was wanting to add a resveratrol supplement and picked up "spring valley red wine extract" from a local walmart. It contains 200mg of "red wine complex" and I was taking 2/day. Is this a good start for taking resveratrol? Now I'm seeing trans-resveratrol and am confused.

#2 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 03:20 PM

I was wanting to add a resveratrol supplement and picked up "spring valley red wine extract" from a local walmart. It contains 200mg of "red wine complex" and I was taking 2/day. Is this a good start for taking resveratrol? Now I'm seeing trans-resveratrol and am confused.

There is probably very little resveratrol in that pill. If there is any, it will give the amount on the label.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 03:34 PM

I agree, If you mainly shop at local wallmart, costco, or wallgreens look for "Trans-resveratol" on the label and see how much they provide under the "Supplement Facts".

If you shop online, try the price watch list in the post below:
http://www.imminst.o...tch-t15059.html

It has many brands in it, and can choose the one that seems to be good for you.
Some of them you may even find in a local store if that is your preferred way to shop for supplements.

A

#4 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 04:05 PM

My advice to a newcomer to the Res world:

Honestly, the way to go is to order a product, I wouldn't at this point by a Res product from your local store, you will just be getting ripped off on the $/gram.

My advice to all my friends and family for a "starter" Resveratrol product is the country life product http://www.iherb.com...px?c=1&pid=7394 as it has some synergistic ingredients and the quality is consistent and a good deal $/gram esp. with the other stuff you get with it. I tell them to make their way up to 400 mg of Trans-Resveratrol using this product (each cap has 100 mg of t-res). So start off with one cap in the AM and one cap in the Afternoon for about a week then move up to two caps in the morning and one in the afternoon. Then two in the morning and two in the afternoon. From my experience and the experience of family and friends higher than 400mg of trans coming from a 50% product and the laxative effects start to set in.

If you want to go higher than 400 mg then you will need to get at least a 98% product. see price watch http://www.imminst.o...tch-t15059.html I also recommend taking grape seed, pine bark and other flavanoids with your res as personally I think there is some definite synergism.

edit: added links

Edited by edward, 15 May 2008 - 04:08 PM.

#5 iostream71

• Topic Starter
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 03:17 AM

Thanks for the advice. I'll check out the links. About the spring valley, it doesn't give any specific amount of res--only the 200 mg of red wine complex that lists a bunch of ingredients:

red wine extract(vitis vinifera)(grape skin), vitamin c(as ascorbic acid), citrus bioflavonoids(citrus sinensis)(fruit), grapeseed extract(vitis vinifera)(seed)(standardized to contain polyphenois), procyanidol(grape extract(vitis rotundifolia)(skin and seed)(contains ellagic acid and resveratrol)

My hand hurts after typing all of that.

Edited by iostream71, 16 May 2008 - 03:41 AM.

#6 Forever_Young

• 2 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:22 PM

Try using the reseveratrol from eresveratrol.com. I use it from there. I am satisfied with product. The 99% pure resveratrol comes packed in the licap with nitrogen bubble, meaning the purity of the resveratrol is preserved. And the resveratrol content is pretty hight too. A doctor is selling it and has a book about it I think...
But anyways I like the product.

#7 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:03 PM

Try using the reseveratrol from eresveratrol.com. I use it from there. I am satisfied with product. The 99% pure resveratrol comes packed in the licap with nitrogen bubble, meaning the purity of the resveratrol is preserved. And the resveratrol content is pretty hight too. A doctor is selling it and has a book about it I think...
But anyways I like the product.

Licaps and nitrgoen bubbles don't do anything to preserve the purity. If you are into marketing hype go for it though. It is your money afterall.

#8 iostream71

• Topic Starter
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:58 AM

So is there any thought on the nutrition value of the ingredients I posted? Or is it too vague?

#9 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 12:29 PM

Way too vague for me as I am unfamiliar with the product.

#10 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 03:08 PM

So is there any thought on the nutrition value of the ingredients I posted? Or is it too vague?

It doesn't appear to have any resveratrol at all...

do you have a link to the product you can PM me with?

A

#11 iostream71

• Topic Starter
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:45 AM

Sorry, I couldn't find the product listed anywhere. It's Wal Mart's Spring Valley line. In addition to what I posted, the bottle reads:
Resveratrol
Red Wine Extract
Grapeseed & Citrus Bioflavonoids

#12 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 07:31 AM

My advice to a newcomer to the Res world:

Honestly, the way to go is to order a product, I wouldn't at this point by a Res product from your local store, you will just be getting ripped off on the $/gram.

My advice to all my friends and family for a "starter" Resveratrol product is the country life product http://www.iherb.com...px?c=1&pid=7394 as it has some synergistic ingredients and the quality is consistent and a good deal $/gram esp. with the other stuff you get with it. I tell them to make their way up to 400 mg of Trans-Resveratrol using this product (each cap has 100 mg of t-res). So start off with one cap in the AM and one cap in the Afternoon for about a week then move up to two caps in the morning and one in the afternoon. Then two in the morning and two in the afternoon. From my experience and the experience of family and friends higher than 400mg of trans coming from a 50% product and the laxative effects start to set in.

If you want to go higher than 400 mg then you will need to get at least a 98% product. see price watch http://www.imminst.o...tch-t15059.html I also recommend taking grape seed, pine bark and other flavanoids with your res as personally I think there is some definite synergism.

edit: added links

Where does it say on that link above how much t-res is in the Country Life product? I don't see any listing of t-res content. I am thinking of trying resveratrol again and I will probably go with this for now:

http://www.iherb.com...c...087047&at=0

200 mg t-res pre cap. That's about $16 for a one month supply.

#13 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,042 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 06:47 PM

Nice job helping out a newcomer to resv, but no more commercial links please.

#14 iostream71

• Topic Starter
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 03:44 AM

Thanks for the advice. I'll take a look.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#15 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 05:48 AM

Nice job helping out a newcomer to resv, but no more commercial links please.

Mind, feel free to remove my link above. I would, but I can't edit my own post...I used to be able to. The post must be too old.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users