- - - - -

Ibuprofen and mood/cognitive function?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#31 Dichotohmy

• 201 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 February 2015 - 09:33 PM

I took ibuprofen yesterday, an anti-inflammatory because I suspected my brain fog, anxiety and depression may have bee caused by brain inflammation. After taking Ibuprofen my brain fog dissipated. I felt a mental clarity that I have not felt in years. My mood and verbal fluency increased and for the first time in years I didn't struggle with word recall. My creativity, long term memory, and  ability to reason also improved. I began to remember things from years ago that I long forgot about.  Based off my reaction to the ibuprofen I can confidently say I think  my brain fog is caused by inflammation. I'm ecstatic about this because I'm finally aware of the culprit for my mental woes and can finally start to recover. 

Here's a link related to brain inflammation and depression: http://www.preventio...-and-depression

Nothing works for me like Ibuprofen either. Large doses with a lack of tolerance induce an opiate-like buzz for me and have incredible brain-fog-killing and mood boosting effects. It's funny this thread pops up on the first page when I was just talking about these strange effects the other day:

http://www.longecity...an-opiate-high/

#32 AlexCanada

• 263 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:40 AM

The example of wellbutrin is interesting because I was on that for awhile as I attempted to treat my ADD, fatigue, and general apathy (didn't know I had Lyme yet). It worked amazingly well actually, the period of time I was on wellbutrin was the most productive in my life so far. However, after a few months I started to get all these weird unpleasant feelings in my head (combination of pressure / tingling), increasing anxiety, and sometimes problems swallowing and performing similar routine motor functions. Wellbutrin is well-documented to significantly lower TNF-a in the brain and I theorize that I was basically enjoying the same temporary anti-inflammatory relief (localized to the brain) that I might get from a steroid like prednisone. However, this would ultimately foster the progression of underlying infection and I think that is what happened.

What did you take to get rid of your infections?   

I got lot of fungal infections, skin flare ups and 95% of the time cannot think straight + severely low hormones levels across the board esp low estrogen + anhedonic depression. lot of strange warm feelings in my head. advil helped immensely before.  Resveratrol temporarily helps within an hour for cognition but causes so many other problems and severe chills + joint paints etc so I can't reliably take it. 

And what kind of infection tests? I have no idea what to ask of my doctors. 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 05:36 PM

The long acting version of curcumin, meriva should have the same and alot more benefits as ibuprofen due to it targetting alot more anti inflammatory pathways as compared with NSAIDS, on iherb people much preferred it to normal painkillers as a note.

#34 vader

• 243 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 01:22 PM

Supposedly aspirin causes cell respiration increase on par with thyroid hormones. I'd say we are dealing with some possible thyroid problems.

What sort of chronic infection wouldn't be found easily on a blood test? My blood tests point to actually INSUFFICIENT inflammation in the body. Maybe there is some merit to a theory, that my body can no longer deal with some infection, but afaik there are good buffers for infection in the body and prolonged infection should lead to whole body collapse or sepsis, not brain fog. Besides some "infections" can be beneficial for our species like pylori.

#35 vader

• 243 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 01:35 PM

There is also possibilty we are suffering from lifelong PANDAS. I got (not too severe) OCD overnight when i was like 6 or 7 years old. Could be strep infection.

#36 magta39

• 131 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 12:53 AM

http://www.lostfalco...-fog-two-step/ Lostfalco talks about combating brain inflammation and brain fog here....the combination of ibuprofen+galantamine+turmeric powder seems to work well for me.

#37 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 01:41 AM

"In animal models and in vitro, niacin produces marked anti-inflammatory effects in a variety of tissues – including the brain, gastrointestinal tract, skin, and vascular tissue – through the activation of NIACR1.[84][85][86][87] Niacin has been shown to attenuate neuroinflammation and may have efficacy in treating neuroimmune disorders such as multiple sclerosis and Parkinson's disease."

https://en.wikipedia...Niacin#Research

Edited by RatherBeUnknown, 01 July 2016 - 01:43 AM.

• Informative x 1

#38 Dichotohmy

• 201 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 July 2016 - 06:27 AM

"[color=#252525][font=sans-serif]In animal models and in vitro, niacin produces marked anti-inflammatory effects in a variety of tissues...

Niacin and nicotinamide are OK IMO in highish doses, but make me sleepy, tired and wired (aka twired) at the same time if I take it anytime but close to bedtime. If you buy into the theories methylation, niacin could be problematic if you're an under methylator and boost fatigue.

There is also possibilty we suffering from lifelong PANDAS. I got (not too severe) OCD overnight when i was like 6 or 7 years old. Could be strep infection.

I caught scarlet fever when I was 14 and was probably the illest I've ever been - 104 degree temperature for over 24 hours, no eating for days, bedbound for close to 2 weeks, etc. In retrospect, I probably should have went to the hospital or started antibiotics sooner than 1 week in.

PANDAS doesn't seem like the answer for me, but I have no doubt that severe acute bacterial infections like this change the immune system in ways that are difficult to comprehend. You may never realize there's a problem until decades later when some combination of environmental, physical, or natural aging factors combine to make you immuno-compromised and the normally remitted bacteria comes out to play and your immune system goes nuts leading to chronic inflammatory symptoms and consequent secondary diseases.

Edited by Dichotohmy, 01 July 2016 - 06:28 AM.

#39 Ignacio Jaureguilorda

• 2 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 December 2016 - 02:30 PM

What sort of chronic infection wouldn't be found easily on a blood test? 

I have been doing research on my symptoms and since I got bit by a tick last summer in a highly dense Borrelia area, I am finding evidence to build up a lyme case. Traditional doctors here in DK don't believe in Borrelia infection since it does not show up in the blood tests. Alternative doctors however claim that there is no reason why there would be evidence in the blood since the bacteria likes other mediumd much more than blood, (brain tissue and joints)

#40 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 December 2016 - 04:05 PM

Prostaglandins have been known to inhibit neurotransmitter release. As ibuprofen inhibits COX which synthesizes PGs, it is plausible that it would in certain cases power neurotransmission.

BINGO. COX-2 inhibitors are known to decrease KYNA production and thus less NMDA receptor inhibition. should be good for schizophrenia: https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/18537668

You just revived a 6 year old thread haha..

shrug. it's better to have one good thread than thousands of bad ones.

• Well Written x 1
  • Ill informed x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#41 dopaminerush

• 42 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 10:49 PM

if we write our all problmes here, may be we can spot the shit going on . sorry for my bad english.

im 29yo 

have nasal congestion 

allergic rhinits, some sleep apnea, snoring

have empty iron stores but normal blood iron

have adhd impulsivity

sweating problems sometimes

i had appetite problem 

i dont know wtf is going on but when i take ibuprofen my adhd is improving a little bit and i feel far more better i dont know why. 

if i take it before bed i wake up faaaaar more better, energic 

2 years ago i had teeth infection and had a lot of pain. After taking shtloads of etodolac,acetominophen(paracetamol) , naproxen  (it can make a hole in my stomach) at the same time,  i felt amazing next day my appetite come back, i felt soooo much happy, clear minded, very very high libido, no adhd at all  so WTF happened ? after a few days effects went away anyone have any idea what happened ? 

Edited by dopaminerush, 01 March 2017 - 10:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users