Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

My Fav Resveratrol Formulation!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Hedgehog

• 462 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 04:00 AM

I have tried many formulations including cyclodextrin and HPMC.

But I think my favorite tasting formulation is either peanut butter or nutella. I put about a gram of resveratrol (my most res ever taken at once) in about a spoon and half of peanut butter and some jelly. Mixed it together and absolutely no resveratrol taste. You probably wouldn’t have to use jelly but I was in the mood. It makes for nice resveratrol spread.

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 04:09 AM

But I think my favorite tasting formulation is either peanut butter or nutella. I put about a gram of resveratrol (my most res ever taken at once) in about a spoon and half of peanut butter and some jelly. Mixed it together and absolutely no resveratrol taste. You probably wouldn’t have to use jelly but I was in the mood. It makes for nice resveratrol spread.

Will you be doing a PK study on that one? :)

This is kind of an amazing coincidence, but I mixed resveratrol and peanut butter for the first time just today. I also had some berries, milk, and a little yogurt in there too though. It was a smoothie.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Hedgehog

• Topic Starter
  • 462 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 04:32 AM

But I think my favorite tasting formulation is either peanut butter or nutella. I put about a gram of resveratrol (my most res ever taken at once) in about a spoon and half of peanut butter and some jelly. Mixed it together and absolutely no resveratrol taste. You probably wouldn't have to use jelly but I was in the mood. It makes for nice resveratrol spread.

This is kind of an amazing coincidence, but I mixed resveratrol and peanut butter for the first time just today. I also had some berries, milk, and a little yogurt in there too though. It was a smoothie.

It would be a very slow releasing formulation. LOL I almost pulled some berries out of the freezer. I opened the door but opted to eat them later. That is a crazy crazy coincidence. Anybody else eat peanut butter w/ res for the 1st time tonight?

#4 roxanne

• 13 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 02:52 PM

Thank you! Thank you! I had come to the realization that my blood levels of Res would be non-existant if I end up gagging everytime I try to swill the stuff down. If I could hide the taste in peanut butter I could still have a shot. Using 99% Vital PRime. Bitter!

#5 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 03:09 PM

The vital prime I bought had no taste whatsoever. Was yours contaminated?

Also .....it may taste better this way, but I think I will stick with HH's other formulations for bioavailability reasons :)

#6 inawe

• 653 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 03:39 PM

Thank you! Thank you! I had come to the realization that my blood levels of Res would be non-existant if I end up gagging everytime I try to swill the stuff down. If I could hide the taste in peanut butter I could still have a shot. Using 99% Vital PRime. Bitter!

May be somebody has an explanation for this: Some batches of 99% pure
trans-RSV are white and completely tasteless. Other batches of 99%
pure are brownish with a strong taste. What's the other 1% that can make
such a big difference?

#7 roxanne

• 13 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 03:50 PM

Also .....it may taste better this way, but I think I will stick with HH's other formulations for bioavailability reasons :)

The resveratral I am currently using is my third shipment of Vital Prime 99% and it has always tasted bitter beyond belief. I may just have a keen sense of taste for bitter (some weird genetic thing) but I don't believe so. I have wanted to try my husband on the res. but I know he wouldn't get past the gag on taste thing. I have tried it in vodka, cream sherry and brandy for increased absorption but to be honest it's really put me off any alcohol at all. I get squeamish in a restaurant when offered a margherita based on conditioning. Maybe that's a good thing.

#8 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 04:29 PM

The resveratral I am currently using is my third shipment of Vital Prime 99% and it has always tasted bitter beyond belief. I may just have a keen sense of taste for bitter (some weird genetic thing) but I don't believe so. I have wanted to try my husband on the res. but I know he wouldn't get past the gag on taste thing. I have tried it in vodka, cream sherry and brandy for increased absorption but to be honest it's really put me off any alcohol at all. I get squeamish in a restaurant when offered a margherita based on conditioning. Maybe that's a good thing.

Maybe switch over to Anthony's product now that his price is cheaper than Vital Prime. I will be.

The VP stuff I bought was white, though a little clumpy, and completely tasteless. It dissolved well into potato vodka and went down well with dissolved lecithin granules and seemed to disperse well. The only thing I can taste is period is the lecithin ...can't even taste the potato vodka.

So I am not sure what to say about that :)

#9 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 05:01 PM

But I think my favorite tasting formulation is either peanut butter or nutella. I put about a gram of resveratrol (my most res ever taken at once) in about a spoon and half of peanut butter and some jelly. Mixed it together and absolutely no resveratrol taste. You probably wouldn't have to use jelly but I was in the mood. It makes for nice resveratrol spread.

It would be a very slow releasing formulation. LOL I almost pulled some berries out of the freezer. I opened the door but opted to eat them later. That is a crazy crazy coincidence. Anybody else eat peanut butter w/ res for the 1st time tonight?

Peanut butter is so 2007, I was doing the peanut butter thing back before it was cool.... Lol

Seriously though I did try it along with Nutella a while back (when I ate nutella... take a look at your bottle of Nutella you will find Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil as I think one of the first 3 ingredients, can we say trans fat city).

Any ways, my staple Res formula is Res mixed with some sort of oil, fish, flax, olive, coconut, MCT or whatever, blended in my mouth (yes ewweey gross) then followed with water.

MCT (medium chain triglycerides) may offer some advantages as a vehicle as they are quickly digesting, directly absorbed and quick acting... thats just my theory as my chemistry and biology was limited to bare minimum required for a healthcare professional tract (any thoughts biochemists?: Hedge... Niner...?)

#10 Hedgehog

• Topic Starter
  • 462 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 05:58 PM

Peanut butter is so 2007, I was doing the peanut butter thing back before it was cool.... Lol

Seriously though I did try it along with Nutella a while back (when I ate nutella... take a look at your bottle of Nutella you will find Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil as I think one of the first 3 ingredients, can we say trans fat city).

Any ways, my staple Res formula is Res mixed with some sort of oil, fish, flax, olive, coconut, MCT or whatever, blended in my mouth (yes ewweey gross) then followed with water.

MCT (medium chain triglycerides) may offer some advantages as a vehicle as they are quickly digesting, directly absorbed and quick acting... thats just my theory as my chemistry and biology was limited to bare minimum required for a healthcare professional tract (any thoughts biochemists?: Hedge... Niner...?)

My nutella says 0g of trans fat. However, the 2nd ingredient is modified palm oil.

Well my thoughts about MCT are: If they are quickly abosrbed then it will work great. If they just stay around outside in the intestine then you will be preventing a quick resveratrol absorbtion.

Do you think you could inject your formulation into a capsule? Might make it easier to take

#11 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 06:18 PM

My nutella says 0g of trans fat. However, the 2nd ingredient is modified palm oil.

Well my thoughts about MCT are: If they are quickly abosrbed then it will work great. If they just stay around outside in the intestine then you will be preventing a quick resveratrol absorbtion.

Do you think you could inject your formulation into a capsule? Might make it easier to take

I just looked up Nutella, yeah the first ingredient is sugar, the second is modified palm oil (which you know is code for partially hydrogenated) I think there is some rule that if the trans fat is less than .5 per serving per serving they can still label it as 0 trans fat.
Under FDA regulations in effect in the United States, "if the serving contains less than 0.5 gram [of trans fat], the content, when declared, shall be expressed as zero." Suppose a product contains 0.4 grams per serving and you eat four servings (which is not uncommon). You have just consumed 1.6 grams of trans fat, despite the fact that the package claims that the product contains zero grams of trans fat per serving.
Even small amounts of trans fats are bad as your body doesnt know not to use them like regular fatty acids, making membranes out of them etc... very bad, the thought of critical cell membranes being made of warped fatty acids makes me shudder.

As far as my oil formulation, most recently MCT oil, I guess you could inject it into capsules, I haven't tried making liquid capsules, apparently its a pain. Personally I don't mind blending the stuff in my mouth (Every morning I take 20-30 grams worth of a mixed supplement powder with some pretty nasty tasting powders and im ok), I've always been able to "turn off" my taste and gag reflex, I think it comes from being fed foods that I found revolting at an early age (brussel sprouts etc.)

#12 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 06:24 PM

BTW, MCT oil is very easy to digest and assimilate, it is used in patients in hospitals with impaired digestion, -ostemys, and other digestive tract problems because it is so easy to assimilate... http://www.novartisn...;source=summary

#13 Hedgehog

• Topic Starter
  • 462 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 08:33 PM

BTW, MCT oil is very easy to digest and assimilate, it is used in patients in hospitals with impaired digestion, -ostemys, and other digestive tract problems because it is so easy to assimilate... http://www.novartisn...;source=summary

Sounds like PK plasma and stability test test is in order.

#14 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 09:39 PM

Yeah, are you planning on testing any formulations soon?

#15 malbecman

• 733 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 11:17 PM

Some people are definitely more sensitive to bitter things or tastes in general. I am one but actually don't mind bitter. Google supertaster and you'll see what I mean. There actually is a test to see if you are a supertaster involving whether you can taste PTC or PROP or not. Supertasters can, others cannot. See the wikipedia entry for more info.....

#16 bixbyte

• 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 May 2008 - 01:55 AM

Take
One 400 MG 80% EGCg; One 10 MG Bioperine; One 200 milligram Polydatin; One 500 Mg Naringin;

I warm up 4 oz of charcoal filtered water in the microwave for 15 seconds
Insert the H2O into my ultrasonic cleaner
Add 2 grams of Miralax, turn on the ultrasonic cleaner and stir slowly until all the crystal are dissolved, now turn off the ultrasonic cleaner
Lightly drop HPMC dust into the liquid until it stops mixing into the liquid, scoop any surface "skin" and throw it away into the sink
Put 2 grams of Vital Prime or high % White RES powder on top of the liquid
Wait until the White RES powder drops down below the upper liquid surface
Stir slowly with a plastic fork and turn on the Ultrasonic cleaner and leave ON for 6 minutes
Pour into a glass
Drink and chase it down with a glass of mango, orange, Grapefruit, or any good quality Juice

Sorry no peanut butter.

Anybody else?

#17 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 02:06 AM

I just looked up Nutella, yeah the first ingredient is sugar, the second is modified palm oil (which you know is code for partially hydrogenated) I think there is some rule that if the trans fat is less than .5 per serving per serving they can still label it as 0 trans fat.
Under FDA regulations in effect in the United States, "if the serving contains less than 0.5 gram [of trans fat], the content, when declared, shall be expressed as zero." Suppose a product contains 0.4 grams per serving and you eat four servings (which is not uncommon). You have just consumed 1.6 grams of trans fat, despite the fact that the package claims that the product contains zero grams of trans fat per serving.

My understanding of the secret code is "0 grams" means less than 0.5 grams, but "No Trans Fat" really means none. So if they use the word "No" in an advertising claim on the label, you should be ok.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#18 Hedgehog

• Topic Starter
  • 462 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 02:06 AM

Yeah, are you planning on testing any formulations soon?

I would love to. My viens need a break.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users