• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Does transdermal Res bypass the estrogen issue?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 07:36 PM

Can anyone answer that?
I want to increase the amount of res I'm taking without lowering my estrogen.
Would transdermal application with DMSO bypass those pathways?

#2 missminni

• Topic Starter
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 04:55 PM

Can anyone answer that?
I want to increase the amount of res I'm taking without lowering my estrogen.
Would transdermal application with DMSO bypass those pathways?

wow, 65 people read this and nobody responded?
Is it that nobody knows the answer, or is it a really dumb question?

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 July 2008 - 05:48 PM

I think it's quite difficult to answer the question based on (scientific) evidence..... :)

Edited by brainbox, 06 July 2008 - 05:50 PM.

#4 missminni

• Topic Starter
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 06:46 PM

I think it's quite difficult to answer the question based on (scientific) evidence..... :)

Oh. I forgot about scientific evidence...LOL
What about conjecture or an educated guess?

#5 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 12:47 AM

You can't get enough resveratrol for a systemic dose by the transdermal route, even if you use DMSO. So in that regard, it probably wouldn't substantially impact estrogen levels, but it wouldn't have significant good effects either.

#6 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 06:06 PM

Resveratrol acts as a selective estrogen receptor modulator (SERM) -> Resveratrol is a SERM

From what I gather Resveratrol does not signifigantly effect systemic estrogen levels but rather itself acts as a SERM (like nolvadex/tamoxifen, evista/raloxifen or clomid/clomiphene). Now in high doses it may through other mechanisms alter hormonal balances but not by directly affecting estrogen. Its direct estrogen effects are SERM like.

That is it binds to the estrogen receptor and (putting it simply) in some tissues acts as an estrogen and in others acts as an anti-estrogen or is simply neutral but plugs up the estrogen receptor preventing estrogen from acting on it.

SERMS in general have positive effects on cholesterol, bone density and even the brain both in men and women but this all depends on what tissues they are pro-estrogen in and what they are anti-estrogen in. Its complicated.

Basically bottom line is that if you get enough Resveratrol into you to have an effect on one thing it will have an effect on other things, delivery system is irrelevant. I would argue that Resveratrols estrogen effects are good for both men and women as SERMs in general tend to be pro-estrogen where you want it (brain, liver, bone etc.) and anti-estrogen where you don't want it fat cells and tumor cells. But again it all depends on the particular profile of the SERM

Edited by edward, 17 July 2008 - 06:11 PM.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 missminni

• Topic Starter
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 06:36 PM

Resveratrol acts as a selective estrogen receptor modulator (SERM) -> Resveratrol is a SERM

From what I gather Resveratrol does not signifigantly effect systemic estrogen levels but rather itself acts as a SERM (like nolvadex/tamoxifen, evista/raloxifen or clomid/clomiphene). Now in high doses it may through other mechanisms alter hormonal balances but not by directly affecting estrogen. Its direct estrogen effects are SERM like.

That is it binds to the estrogen receptor and (putting it simply) in some tissues acts as an estrogen and in others acts as an anti-estrogen or is simply neutral but plugs up the estrogen receptor preventing estrogen from acting on it.

SERMS in general have positive effects on cholesterol, bone density and even the brain both in men and women but this all depends on what tissues they are pro-estrogen in and what they are anti-estrogen in. Its complicated.

Basically bottom line is that if you get enough Resveratrol into you to have an effect on one thing it will have an effect on other things, delivery system is irrelevant. I would argue that Resveratrols estrogen effects are good for both men and women as SERMs in general tend to be pro-estrogen where you want it (brain, liver, bone etc.) and anti-estrogen where you don't want it fat cells and tumor cells. But again it all depends on the particular profile of the SERM

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users