Photo
- - - - -

My Resveratrol cocktail...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jCole

• 211 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 04:08 AM

I'm fairly new to the Resveratrol revolution, but it seems to me, from reading this forum over the past couple of weeks, the main goal with Resveratrol, is increasing bioavailability correct?

About 6 months ago, I was experimenting with Creatine Monohydrate supplementation in my strength training, but ultimately did not like the infamous "creatine bloat" that occurs to some. (which it did for me) So my trainer turned me onto CEE. (creatine ethyl ester) The ethyl ester acts as a binder to help the creatine to be far more lipophilic versus standard Creatine Monohydrate, thus requiring a far less dosage day to day, and no loading period along with little to no bloat. One big downside. is the ethyl ester makes the creatine shakes, by far, some of the most disgusting stuff on the planet... but some Apple Cidar Vinegar and a few drops of some Stevia extract helps with the taste.

Once I get my 99% powder of Resveratrol from RevGenetics, I was thinking of making a this cocktail:

500mg 99% RSV Powder
1g CEE Powder
1 scoop of Optimum Nutrition's 100% Whey Protein (24g protein, 5.5g BCAA's, 4g glutamine and glutamine precursors)
1 cup Silk Soy Milk - Unsweetened
1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
Few Drops of Stevia Extract for taste...

I have a shaker and blender I've used for years for all my bodybuilding supps, will this be suitable?

Ethyl ester a no go for Resveratrol as a binder to increase bioavailability? What about the creatine itself? Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks!

:edit:

http://www.bodybuild.../store/cee.html

Some more detailed info on CEE and some of the mechanisms involved.

Edited by jCole, 03 August 2008 - 04:47 AM.

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 05:06 AM

I'm fairly new to the Resveratrol revolution, but it seems to me, from reading this forum over the past couple of weeks, the main goal with Resveratrol, is increasing bioavailability correct?

About 6 months ago, I was experimenting with Creatine Monohydrate supplementation in my strength training, but ultimately did not like the infamous "creatine bloat" that occurs to some. (which it did for me) So my trainer turned me onto CEE. (creatine ethyl ester) The ethyl ester acts as a binder to help the creatine to be far more lipophilic versus standard Creatine Monohydrate, thus requiring a far less dosage day to day, and no loading period along with little to no bloat. One big downside. is the ethyl ester makes the creatine shakes, by far, some of the most disgusting stuff on the planet... but some Apple Cidar Vinegar and a few drops of some Stevia extract helps with the taste.

Once I get my 99% powder of Resveratrol from RevGenetics, I was thinking of making a this cocktail:

500mg 99% RSV Powder
1g CEE Powder
1 scoop of Optimum Nutrition's 100% Whey Protein (24g protein, 5.5g BCAA's, 4g glutamine and glutamine precursors)

I have a shaker and blender I've used for years for all my bodybuilding supps, will this be suitable?

Ethyl ester a no go for Resveratrol as a binder to increase bioavailability? What about the creatine itself? Comments? Suggestions?

I don't think that the CEE will hurt in a resveratrol cocktail, but it won't help either. The "ethyl ester" part of CEE is covalently bonded to the creatine, so it isn't going to let go and bond to the resveratrol. It's not a binder, which is a sticky component that helps to hold a tablet together. If you could form an ethyl ester on the 4'OH, that would be the same as the analog 4'O-acetyl resveratrol, which is actually supposed to be quite active because it subverts glucuronidation/sulfation at the 4' position. However, making that is a whole different problem than just mixing in the CEE. So you can add resveratrol to your shake, and it should work about as well as if you just swallow the pill, maybe a little better just due to getting it distributed well, but I don't think that the CEE will provide any magic. Depending on the nature of the protein in the soy milk, it's possible you might get some useful interaction there. Some of us take resveratrol with milk products.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 01:32 PM

He is adding whey protein, so some of the resveratrol will actually bind to the beta-lactoglobulin instead. (its a good thing!) This usually makes up around 50% of pure whey protein.

A

#4 jCole

• Topic Starter
  • 211 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 01:40 PM

500mg 99% RSV Powder
1g CEE Powder

I don't think that the CEE will hurt in a resveratrol cocktail, but it won't help either. The "ethyl ester" part of CEE is covalently bonded to the creatine, so it isn't going to let go and bond to the resveratrol. It's not a binder, which is a sticky component that helps to hold a tablet together. If you could form an ethyl ester on the 4'OH, that would be the same as the analog 4'O-acetyl resveratrol, which is actually supposed to be quite active because it subverts glucuronidation/sulfation at the 4' position. However, making that is a whole different problem than just mixing in the CEE. So you can add resveratrol to your shake, and it should work about as well as if you just swallow the pill, maybe a little better just due to getting it distributed well, but I don't think that the CEE will provide any magic. Depending on the nature of the protein in the soy milk, it's possible you might get some useful interaction there. Some of us take resveratrol with milk products.

Bummer, I thought I was onto something! :)

Thanks for the reply & saving me from adding CEE to my shake, haha.

#5 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 03:25 AM

He is adding whey protein, so some of the resveratrol will actually bind to the beta-lactoglobulin instead. (its a good thing!) This usually makes up around 50% of pure whey protein.

Good point, Anthony. I didn't consider the whey. Thanks for pointing that out. That might make a good addition to my smoothie.

#6 jCole

• Topic Starter
  • 211 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 02:01 PM

The reason I choose Optimum Nutrition is because it's one of the top quality Whey Protein supps on the market among bodybuilders due to the high quality of Whey & the no nonsense ingredients.... (can't complain about 5grams of BCAA's per scoop)

Hydrolyzed Whey is supposed to be the highest quality of Whey at the moment, would this assist with RSV bio-availability in any way?

From their website...

"
By using Whey Protein Isolates as our primary protein source, we're able to pack 24 grams of the purest, muscle-building protein per serving, with a lot less of the fat, cholesterol, lactose, and other stuff that you can do without. There's no question this is the standard by which other whey proteins are measured.

...also includes fast-acting Hydrowhey hydrolyzed whey peptides and digestive enzymes for better utilization.
  • Packed with Whey Protein Isolates
  • Higher Pure Protein Percentage
  • Fast-Acting HYDROWHEY Whey Peptides
  • Provides Whey Protein Microfractions
  • More than 5 grams of BCAAs
  • Over 4 grams of Glutamine & Precursors
"

Trying to play catchup regarding nutrition and biochemistry in general, so please forgive my relatively rudimentary questions. ;o)

Edited by jCole, 04 August 2008 - 02:05 PM.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 03:48 AM

Hydrolyzed Whey is supposed to be the highest quality of Whey at the moment, would this assist with RSV bio-availability in any way?

If it's completely hydrolyzed, then I wouldn't think so. Certain milk proteins, or human serum albumin, for that matter, bind resveratrol and can serve as a transport mechanism. When you hydrolyze a protein, however, you are chopping it up into short peptides or amino acids, so the resveratrol binding sites would most likely be destroyed. If it's a mixture of intact proteins and hydrolyzed proteins, then it might help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users