- - - - -

Resveratrol, Cytokines and the Immune system

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:06 PM

http://www.pubmedcen...i?artid=1810449

First off I invite all to read the above article before commenting, its not too long and worth it.

This is far from a clear cut topic. If you are not familiar with the immune system, cytokines, humoral immunity, innate immune system and the adaptive immune system then you should probably do a little reading. I usually am a critic of Wikipedia but it can often be helpful in some instances for a quick basic education on a topic (sometimes the detail in Wiki are not entirely accurate but the over all content is helpful) so if you are not familiar with the terms in the first sentence of the paragraph please read this Wikipedia article on the immune system: http://en.wikipedia....i/Immune_system

Some Other Relevant Background Information:

Inflammation is an integral part of the immune response. Inflammation is mediated by the cytokines, most of which are inflammatory (IL-10 is anti-inflammatory). Inflammation and circulating cytokines trigger other parts of the immune system that something nearby is a threat.

Low level inflammation has been implicated in many chronic diseases and as a factor in aging.

In general high levels of Cytokines = Inflammation and basically make you feel terrible. Think of the feeling you get when you are sick, sleep deprived or suffering from allergies.

TNF-alpha and IL-6 are the most studied of the cytokines.

TNF-alpha levels in particular are implicated in disease and in making one feel unwell.

Brief intense inflammation and spikes in cytokine levels are important for reducing long term low level inflammation. Exercise has the effect of greatly spiking IL-6 which is inflammatory but in the long run exercise reduces inflammation and circulation TNF-alpha levels.

Ok so what does this have to do with Resveratrol?

The article cited above clearly shows that Resveratrol and Curcumin suppress the immune system through reduction in the inflammatory cytokines. In general this would be a good thing as most people have low level inflammation, inflammation has been implicated in a wide range of diseases to be if not the cause, at least a very harmful participant. Furthermore long lived individuals show lower inflammation and lower cytokines. Exercise and CR reduce cytokine levels. The problems I see though are similar to the problems with any therapy that suppresses the immune system, namely a greater susceptibility to infection and a reduced capacity to fight infections.

So what do you guys think?

edit: spelin n' gramur

Edited by edward, 11 August 2008 - 11:14 PM.

#2 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:29 PM

http://www.pubmedcen...i?artid=1810449

First off I invite all to read the above article before commenting, its not too long and worth it.

This is far from a clear cut topic. If you are not familiar with the immune system, cytokines, humoral immunity, innate immune system and the adaptive immune system then you should probably do a little reading. I usually am a critic of Wikipedia but it can often be helpful in some instances for a quick basic education on a topic (sometimes the detail in Wiki are not entirely accurate but the over all content is helpful) so if you are not familiar with the terms in the first sentence of the paragraph please read this Wikipedia article on the immune system: http://en.wikipedia....i/Immune_system

Some Other Relevant Background Information:

Inflammation is an integral part of the immune response. Inflammation is mediated by the cytokines, most of which are inflammatory (IL-10 is anti-inflammatory). Inflammation and circulating cytokines trigger other parts of the immune system that something nearby is a threat.

Low level inflammation has been implicated in many chronic diseases and as a factor in aging.

In general high levels of Cytokines = Inflammation and basically make you feel terrible. Think of the feeling you get when you are sick, sleep deprived or suffering from allergies.

TNF-alpha and IL-6 are the most studied of the cytokines.

TNF-alpha levels in particular are implicated in disease and in making one feel unwell.

Brief intense inflammation and spikes in cytokine levels are important for reducing long term low level inflammation. Exercise has the effect of greatly spiking IL-6 which is inflammatory but in the long run exercise reduces inflammation and circulation TNF-alpha levels.

Ok so what does this have to do with Resveratrol?

The article cited above clearly shows that Resveratrol and Curcumin suppress the immune system through reduction in the inflammatory cytokines. In general this would be a good thing as most people have low level inflammation, inflammation has been implicated in a wide range of diseases to be if not the cause, at least a very harmful participant. Furthermore long lived individuals show lower inflammation and lower cytokines. Exercise and CR reduce cytokine levels. The problems I see though are similar to the problems with any therapy that suppresses the immune system, namely a greater susceptibility to infection and a reduced capacity to fight infections.

So what do you guys think?

edit: spelin n' gramur

I think you still get intense peaks in cytokines while taking resveratrol, as from exercise and other circumstances. It down-regulates, it doesn't eliminate. Most work has been done in vitro. I would expect a lot more negative reports than we've seen, considering the number of people her who take relatively large doses.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 edward

• Topic Starter
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 03:44 PM

I think you still get intense peaks in cytokines while taking resveratrol, as from exercise and other circumstances. It down-regulates, it doesn't eliminate. Most work has been done in vitro. I would expect a lot more negative reports than we've seen, considering the number of people her who take relatively large doses.

I think we are all relatively healthy and for the most part do not live in microbial "hostile" zones. I think for certain populations high dose resveratrol may not be the best idea, I am thinking AIDS patients, TB patients and anyone living in certain parts of Africa and Asia. If I traveled to say Asia or Africa I might consider lowering my resveratrol and curcumin doses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users