- - - - -

Vitamin Shoppe CoQ10

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 06:30 PM

Hello all,

I'm not sure if anyone knows the answer to this, but is the Vitamin Shoppe house brand of CoQ10 considered reputable? I normally use Jarrow dry capsules (Kaneka), but the Vitamin Shoppe brand is quite a bit cheaper, so I am considering them.

I called Vitamin Shoppe and was told that a company called Nature's Value makes their CoQ10. I haven't found any info on Nature's Value or a website. Most I've found is the Consumber Lab report about their failed multivitamin from several years ago, which makes me wary.

Anyone know where Vitamin Shoppe/Nature's Value sources their CoQ10 from? China or Japan?

#2 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 07:20 PM

Hello all,

I'm not sure if anyone knows the answer to this, but is the Vitamin Shoppe house brand of CoQ10 considered reputable? I normally use Jarrow dry capsules (Kaneka), but the Vitamin Shoppe brand is quite a bit cheaper, so I am considering them.

I called Vitamin Shoppe and was told that a company called Nature's Value makes their CoQ10. I haven't found any info on Nature's Value or a website. Most I've found is the Consumber Lab report about their failed multivitamin from several years ago, which makes me wary.

Anyone know where Vitamin Shoppe/Nature's Value sources their CoQ10 from? China or Japan?

I would go with a reputable manufacturer when it comes to a supplement like coq10.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:17 PM

I would go with a reputable manufacturer when it comes to a supplement like coq10.

agreed.. i work at vitamin shoppe & i generally do not recommend the house brand. anything made by natures value is NOT reliable, their uniquinol however (which is capugel/kaneka i believe) is fine, but if you're going to go with regular ubiquinone stick with jarrow.

#4 nameless

• Topic Starter
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 05:31 AM

Thanks for the responses. I kinda figured it'd be best to go with Jarrow, but those Vitamin Shoppe prices tempted me a little.

Since you have knowledge of Vitamin Shoppe products, is there an easy way to tell which ones come from Nature's Value or a different source? Or if it doesn't list the manufacturer on the label (like new chapter, kyolic etc), does it mean it's a Nature's Value product?

#5 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:45 AM

Thanks for the responses. I kinda figured it'd be best to go with Jarrow, but those Vitamin Shoppe prices tempted me a little.

Since you have knowledge of Vitamin Shoppe products, is there an easy way to tell which ones come from Nature's Value or a different source? Or if it doesn't list the manufacturer on the label (like new chapter, kyolic etc), does it mean it's a Nature's Value product?

theres no way for the consumer to tell really... you can shoot me a PM and ask about whatever you want, i pretty much know where everything comes from.

#6 Heliotrope

• 1,145 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 05:35 AM

how about Vitamin World brand CoQ10?

#7 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 04:22 PM

agreed.. i work at vitamin shoppe & i generally do not recommend the house brand. anything made by natures value is NOT reliable, their uniquinol however (which is capugel/kaneka i believe) is fine, but if you're going to go with regular ubiquinone stick with jarrow.

I think it is cheaper to get Jarrow at iherb than vitamin shoppe brand in the store.

#8 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 September 2008 - 10:10 PM

I think it is cheaper to get Jarrow at iherb than vitamin shoppe brand in the store.

just a tip... vitaminshoppe.com is usually fairly competitive to iherb and about 75% less than the in-store prices. if you print the item you want, vs will match its own online prices in the store.

#9 sentrysnipe

• 491 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 10:47 PM

Do not buy CoQ10 (-quinone)! Waste of money.

Get Ubiquinol instead. Healthy Origins brand, Kaneka QH (manufacturer) on iHerb. Best product ever!!!! :)

#10 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 September 2008 - 12:16 AM

agreed

#11 nameless

• Topic Starter
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 12:37 AM

Get Ubiquinol instead. Healthy Origins brand, Kaneka QH (manufacturer) on iHerb. Best product ever!!!! :)

What studies are out there that prove ubiquinol is in fact better than ubiquinone? And I mean data from human studies, not one or two small rodent studies. The majority of the data on ubiquinol, so far, seems mostly marketing-related. And the absorption data they state is all over the place.

Perhaps for the elderly, ubiquinol would in fact be better, as they may have a problem converting ubiquinone to ubiquinol in their bodies, or have some absorption issues. For everyone else... not so sure.

I did find one article about ubiquinol/ubiquinone, fabrications regarding each, and other info:
http://ubiquinolubiq...e.blogspot.com/

And not sure how scientific it is, but I had my serum CoQ10 levels tested. I did just fine with regular ubiqunone, taken at the same time as fish oil. My serum level was around 3.6-3.7ish (I forget exactly) at 200mg daily. LEF states 150 ubiquinol would produce approx. the same, at 3.84 mcg/mL. And I took dry capsules. So basing it on cost effectiveness, it seems to me than normal ubiquinone would make the most sense, unless a person was shooting for super high serum levels perhaps. But for most, I see no benefit to that.

Anyone else out there get their serum levels tested? It'd be interesting to see if ubiquinol does actually result in higher serum levels vs normal ubiquinone, in the general population. I suspect if the same delivery system is used for each, there may not be any real difference.

Edited by nameless, 19 September 2008 - 12:45 AM.

#12 sentrysnipe

• 491 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 08:53 PM

I haven't reviewed that above lengthy blogspot post entry yet but here's the 06 study

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/16919858
Study on safety and bioavailability of ubiquinol (Kaneka QH) after single and 4-week multiple oral administration to healthy volunteers.

Posted Image

http://www.lef.org/m...rt_coq10_01.htm

EDIT:
http://www.imminst.o...Q10-t13315.html

Edited by sentrysnipe, 19 September 2008 - 08:55 PM.

#13 nameless

• Topic Starter
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 02:50 AM

I haven't reviewed that above lengthy blogspot post entry yet but here's the 06 study

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/16919858
Study on safety and bioavailability of ubiquinol (Kaneka QH) after single and 4-week multiple oral administration to healthy volunteers.

EDIT:
http://www.imminst.o...Q10-t13315.html

Yeah, I've seen that study. But it doesn't tell us a whole lot, besides that ubiquinol won't harm you if you take it for 4 weeks or less. It certainly doesn't prove any health benefits over regular ubiquinone.

And the blood levels that study achieved of 3.66 micro g/ml for 150 mg isn't that different than what I got, using 200mg dry capsules of ubiquinone.

I'm not saying ubiquinol may not have benefits that regular CoQ10 doesn't. But until there some real studies, it's just guesswork, and I see no reason to claim regular CoQ10 is junk now and a waste of money.

Edited by nameless, 20 September 2008 - 02:55 AM.

#14 sentrysnipe

• 491 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 03:28 AM

And the blood levels that study achieved of 3.66 micro g/ml for 150 mg isn't that different than what I got, using 200mg dry capsules of ubiquinone.

I'm not saying ubiquinol may not have benefits that regular CoQ10 doesn't. But until there some real studies, it's just guesswork, and I see no reason to claim regular CoQ10 is junk now and a waste of money.

I don't think we can even count your situation as anecdotal evidence, since you did not test your CoQ10 serum prior to this oral administration or haven't provided such initial blood work for us to compare. Could it have been your CoQ10 levels from the get go that you are that lucky? Side benefits from other supplements perhaps? Bioperine...?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#15 nameless

• Topic Starter
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 04:00 AM

I don't think we can even count your situation as anecdotal evidence, since you did not test your CoQ10 serum prior to this oral administration or haven't provided such initial blood work for us to compare. Could it have been your CoQ10 levels from the get go that you are that lucky? Side benefits from other supplements perhaps? Bioperine...?

You are right, it's not completely scientific, as I didn't have a baseline value. I do not take any supplements with Bioperine though. But I suspect taking my CoQ10 with fish oils may help absorption.

But I guess my real point I tried to make was: the serum levels achieved by ubiquinol might not be that different than certain ubiquinone products. Jarrow makes several CoQ10 products, like Q-absorb, which work quite well. I believe 300mg of their standard Q-absorb product demonstrated levels around 4.0 g/ml, and their new Ultra version with limonene achieved higher levels than this. So it comes down to whatever is the most cost effective to achieve the serum levels you wish to reach.

And I am not saying ubiquinone is better than ubiqunol. Or saying ubiquinol isn't worth taking. But until I see some scientific proof, with real studies, I see no reason to dismiss regular ubiquinone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users