Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

How many eggs do you eat a day?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Yann

• 25 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 09:18 AM

How many eggs a day do you eat a day and how did it effect your cholesterol, LDL, HDL and triglycerides since you started doing it?

For a long time I've thought that I could only eat one egg a day because of the general recommendation that your dietary intake of cholesterol shouldn't exceed 300mg a day. Since an egg yolk contains about 220mg, two eggs would already be too much.
But recently I learned that dietary intake of cholesterol only accounts for about 10 to 15 percent of total blood cholesterol, and that eating several eggs a day shouldn't be harmful and could actually be beneficial. So now I've started eating 3 a day and will get my blood checked in a few months to see what the effects are on my cholesterol.

#2 openeyes

• 120 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 01:58 AM

While I wouldn't eat more than a few cooked eggs per day, a few years ago I had 12-18 raw eggs per day in shakes, and after several months of doing so had my blood checked and was told the only unusual thing was high levels of good cholesterol. Currently I average closer to 2-3 dozen eggs per week, mostly in shakes and some boiled. If I felt a need for more protein I'd feel perfectly comfortable adding a dozen raw eggs to my daily diet again.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 02:10 AM

I try to eat 50 eggs in one hour every day.
  • dislike x 1

#4 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 02:46 AM

While I wouldn't eat more than a few cooked eggs per day, a few years ago I had 12-18 raw eggs per day in shakes, and after several months of doing so had my blood checked and was told the only unusual thing was high levels of good cholesterol. Currently I average closer to 2-3 dozen eggs per week, mostly in shakes and some boiled. If I felt a need for more protein I'd feel perfectly comfortable adding a dozen raw eggs to my daily diet again.

Interesting. I still wouldn't risk eating that many eggs a week. Moderation is always a good thing.

#5 wydell

• 503 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 04:36 AM

I have gone for weeks at 4 per day with no negative effect on cholesterol or triglycerides, or at least none that I could tell. My numbers were always very low.

#6 liorrh

• Guest, F@H
  • 388 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 07:45 AM

1-2

#7 Yann

• Topic Starter
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 06:50 PM

I try to eat 50 eggs in one hour every day.

I assume you are joking.

#8 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,036 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 06:53 PM

Liveforever's post is a quote from the movie "Cool Hand Luke". Paul Newman's character makes a bet that he can eat 50 eggs.

#9 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,036 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 06:56 PM

I eat 3 per day, soft-boiled. When I am working out in the winter I might eat as many as 5 per day.

Sorry I don't have any bloodwork to share. All I know is that when I got tested for life insurance they gave me the "super-preferred" rate so I assume cholesterol must have been regular (although whether or not total cholesterol is a good measure of heart health is up for serious debate).

#10 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 October 2008 - 09:37 PM

past 2-3 months ive been eating 2-6 whole omega-3 eggs per day. although i should point out that i have cut back to 2-3 per day, just to be safe.. and i also always consume a significant amount of soluble fiber with them, which binds a good portion of the cholesterol.

Attached Files

Edited by ajnast4r, 16 October 2008 - 09:39 PM.

#11 Sillewater

• 1,076 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 October 2009 - 06:42 AM

I came across the issue of oxycholesterol in an article and then I found kismets links to MR's posts on eggs at CR Society. The logic is sound, and he uses some good studies, but if you look at the studies posted at this blog, higher cholesterol levels are better for total mortality. AND if you read these blog posts here and here, is oxLDL a problem if we consume more eggs without PUFAs?

These people have a much better understanding then me and have differing views which I can't wrap my head around (I am leaning towards eating more eggs), but MR's reasoning is very convincing. What's people's take on this issue?

#12 oprimitivo

• 13 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 12:41 AM

Interesting. I still wouldn't risk eating that many eggs a week. Moderation is always a good thing.

I also agree, moderation is a good thing. I would like to share 2 things with you. First, a post with some beautiful pictures of Kalahari's Bushmen eating large ostrich eggs. I don't think they are worried about the HIGH cholesterol content of those eggs. Second, there is an observational portuguese study ("Gordura alimentar e risco de acidente vascular cerebral isquémico no Norte de Portugal") that associates higher cholesterol intakes (and, by the way, higher fat and higher saturated fat intakes) to a significant LOWER risk of Ischemich Stroke (in portuguese, "AVC-acidente vascular cerebral"). They found higher quartiles of cholesterol intake to be "an independent protective factor" for man and women, but even more for women. Typical higher intakes were 350-400 mg of cholesterol, which is about 2 eggs/day. I don't see why eating these 2 eggs, or perhaps even 3 or 4 eggs/day, on a regular basis would do any harm.

DIETARY FAT AND ISCHEMIC STROKE RISK in Northern Portugal
Introduction: A few international studies suggest an inverse association of the intakeof fat with risk of ischemic stroke. On the contrary of coronary heart disease, only 10% a 15% of ischemic strokes are associated to large vessels atherosclerosis. This suggests different mechanisms for these two pathologies. So, we design a study whose aim is to quantify the ischemic stroke risk associated to dietary fat. Participants and Methods: A case-control study, that included two hundred ninety seven individuals of both sexes, hospitalized in the S. João Hospital in Oporto, with a first episode of ischemic stroke. Six hundred and seventy one controls of both sexes were also evaluated, selected by random digit dialling. The target population was Caucasian adults aged 44 years or older, living in the area served by the above named hospital, without cognitive abnormalities and who had not changed their dietary habits in the past year. The information was obtained by a structured questionnaire, byinterview that included socio-demographic, medical and behavioural aspects (physicalactivity, tobacco use, food habits). Food intake in the past year was evaluated by avalidated, semi-quantitative food frequency questionnaire. Logistic regression was used to evaluate the relative risk (odds ratio) and their 95% confidence intervals, with separate models fitted for men and women. Results: Lipids accounted for less than 30% of the total energy and less than 10% were saturated fatty acids and polyunsaturated fatty acids but the cholesterol ingestion in men were higher than 300mg. The increasing quartiles of total lipids, monounsaturated, polyunsaturated and saturated fatty acids and cholesterol were independent protective risk factors. However, the intake of trans fatty acids increases the risk. Intake of oleic and linolenic fatty acids only had significant protection in women while intake of all n-3 fatty acids, dodecohexanoic acid in particular, had a significant protective effect in both sexes. All the n-6 fatty acids and araquidonic fatty acids also had an inverse association in women but they showed a tendency to be directly associated with ischemic stroke in men. Conclusion: The total intakes of fat, saturated fat, monounsaturated fat and poly-unsaturated fat were associated with reduced risk of ischemic stroke of both sexes.

What would happen to your blood lipids if, for example, you would consume 25 (twenty five) eggs/day during 15 consecutive years?

Two dozen eggs please … hold the bacon - report on an elderly man who eats 25 eggs a day and yet maintains a normal cholesterol

An elderly man with a mammoth appetite for eggs serves as an extreme example that some people can eat large amounts of cholesterol-laden foods without harming their health.

In the March 28 NEW ENGLAND JOURNAL OF MEDICINE, gastroenterologist Fred Kern Jr. of the University of Colorado School of Medicine in Denver describes an 88-year-old retirement-home resident who has consumed an average of 25 eggs daily for more than 15 years — yet maintains normal levels of blood cholesterol. The man, diagnosed with a compulsive eating disorder, keeps a running tally of the two dozen softboiled eggs he methodically ingests throughout the day. He eats an otherwise normal diet and is of average weight.

Kern says the man’s body has "extremely efficient compensatory mechanisms" that allow him to cope with the quantity of cholesterol he consumes. Not only do his intestines absorb only 18 percent of the cholesterol he ingests–50 to 60 percent is more normal — but his liver also produces twice the normal level of the acids, breakdown products of cholesterol.

Margaret Flynn, a clinical dietician at the University of Missouri in Columbia, says the man’s healthy cholesterol level is not surprising. "All of the studies we have done showed no effect [on blood cholesterol] of high egg consumption in a normal diet," she told SCIENCE NEWS.

1991 Science Service, Inc.
2004 Gale Group

Edited by oprimitivo, 29 October 2009 - 12:49 AM.

#13 veronica

• 36 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 01:28 AM

LiveFor Ever-are you serious?;)

#14 veronica

• 36 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 01:32 AM

Do you swallow them whole or chew them?;)

#15 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 09:13 AM

It's not the cholesterol that worries me, it's the methionine.

#16 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 07:56 PM

It should only worry you if you have an otherwise high protein diet. I consume 2-5 eggs daily but am not worried about methionine because my protein intake is otherwise very moderate and I do not eat animals of any kind. If your diet is meat based, worry then.

#17 yoyo

• 582 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:47 PM

Liveforever's post is a quote from the movie "Cool Hand Luke". Paul Newman's character makes a bet that he can eat 50 eggs.

such a direct answer is a failure of communication in its own right

anyway, a few a day sounds fine if you don't have diabetes or close to it

#18 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:49 PM

Why would eggs be a problem if you're diabetic ?

#19 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 10:23 PM

Why would eggs be a problem if you're diabetic ?

They are low carb, moderate protein and full of nutrients. I do not see a problem with them for diabetics.

Edited by TheFountain, 30 October 2009 - 10:24 PM.

#20 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 10:33 PM

It should only worry you if you have an otherwise high protein diet. I consume 2-5 eggs daily but am not worried about methionine because my protein intake is otherwise very moderate and I do not eat animals of any kind. If your diet is meat based, worry then.

I'll often eat 3 eggs, but only two of their whites. I like bacon too, but wish some enterprising person would start curing it with KCl instead of table salt.

#21 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 04:53 PM

Eggs, no thanks (as soon as I get over my addiction to eggs, that is). Start reading from left to right (those are alluded posts over at CR society): they're bad, bad and bad

BTW - ischemic stroke is just one sub-type of stroke, while CHD is more relevant than all types of stroke combined (AFAIK).

Sille, most of the studies are opinion pieces, reviews and whatnot; I am wondering in how far the primary sources back what they report, but no time to check it.

Edited by kismet, 31 October 2009 - 04:56 PM.

• like x 1

#22 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 06:03 PM

Sille, most of the studies are opinion pieces, reviews and whatnot; I am wondering in how far the primary sources back what they report, but no time to check it.

Quoting from your link:

The first (4) found that "Cholesterol Feeding [in the
form of 4 eggs per day -- yes, more than 2] Increases C-Reactive Protein
and Serum Amyloid A Levels in Lean Insulin-Sensitive Subjects"

This particular result was for whole eggs, so a claim that it was the cholesterol component specifically would be overreaching. It might be the methionine in the whites, for example, or a combination of things (multifactorial).

#23 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 08:10 PM

quit eggs due to high methionine, in favor of whey.

#24 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 08:40 PM

Whey has quite a bit too, unfortunately.

#25 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 08:49 PM

Whey has quite a bit too, unfortunately.

less though. and i can buy a mix with lower amounts and adjust exactly how much my in-take is.

#26 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 08:50 PM

Do you eat meat?

#27 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 09:45 PM

This particular result was for whole eggs, so a claim that it was the cholesterol component specifically would be overreaching. It might be the methionine in the whites, for example, or a combination of things (multifactorial).

Yes, egg whites are rich in methionine and the yolk in sat. fat and cholesterol. Not easy to tell the effects apart. But the cholesterol, not just in and of itself but after oxidation, may be particularly nasty (third post).

Edited by kismet, 31 October 2009 - 09:46 PM.

#28 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 02:58 AM

less though. and i can buy a mix with lower amounts and adjust exactly how much my in-take is.

Wow, can you post a link? Thanks.

#29 IamMe2727

• 1 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 12:09 AM

I like to work out with body weight and dumb bells and I will eat 12 to 18 boiled eggs a day sometimes. I find them to be really good for lean gains and a cheap source of protein. I have not had my cholesterol checked, ever! I have noticed some erectile dysfunction. Could that relate to eggs or the low carbohydrate diet I follow? Whatever people say the eggs are good like M M's to me.

#30 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 01:54 AM

I like to work out with body weight and dumb bells and I will eat 12 to 18 boiled eggs a day sometimes. I find them to be really good for lean gains and a cheap source of protein. I have not had my cholesterol checked, ever! I have noticed some erectile dysfunction. Could that relate to eggs or the low carbohydrate diet I follow? Whatever people say the eggs are good like M M's to me.

Well if you want to help dispell the myth that dietary cholesterol raises overall cholesterol values you should get blood work done. I would think the low carb diet would contribute to the opposite of impotence though. It has for me at least.

Edited by TheFountain, 02 November 2009 - 01:54 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users