Photo
- - - - -

Ashwagandha, Rhodiola Rosea, and Bacopa: Any Harm in Making Tea w/ The

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 dumbdumb

• 115 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 06:23 AM

Hi! I've a ton of powdered Ashwagandha, Bacopa and Rhodiola Rosea. I take the trio every morning, piling them together on a spoon, dumping them in my mouth, and then washing it down with tea. But I find that they tend to clump up in my mouth, making it difficult to swallow, and they also stick to the spoon in a way that's hard to wipe off, so that a little bit is always wasted. So I was wondering whether it wouldn't have a negative effect on their mood/cognition-enhancing properties to just dump them into the tea, stir it all up and drink all together at once.

Thanks very much.

#2 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 06:34 AM

Hi! I've a ton of powdered Ashwagandha, Bacopa and Rhodiola Rosea. I take the trio every morning, piling them together on a spoon, dumping them in my mouth, and then washing it down with tea. But I find that they tend to clump up in my mouth, making it difficult to swallow, and they also stick to the spoon in a way that's hard to wipe off, so that a little bit is always wasted. So I was wondering whether it wouldn't have a negative effect on their mood/cognition-enhancing properties to just dump them into the tea, stir it all up and drink all together at once.

Thanks very much.

If the tea isn't boiling, scolding hot then no it wouldn't affect anything.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 DanielSon

• 53 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 02:59 PM

Thanks very much.

Apart from the absorption/logistical problems - how have you reacted to this combo? Any good?

DS

#4 Advanc3d

• 283 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 11:23 PM

i take a 15 supplements all at once

#5 dumbdumb

• Topic Starter
  • 115 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 12:58 PM

Apart from the absorption/logistical problems - how have you reacted to this combo? Any good?

DS

Sorry for the delay in replying to you.
Stopped taking them for about a week now; the combo was pretty nice, nothing life-altering but a noticeable if subtle boost.
My schedule's just been nuts so I haven't had the time or inclination to take any of my supplements/vitamins. Once I get back on, I'll let you know how it works out.

#6 dumbdumb

• Topic Starter
  • 115 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 02:40 PM

Yowza! The taste of RR in particular was too overpowering to make a drink of it, despite my using a pot-full of tea. Had to add quite a bit of honey and some chocamine to make it palatable.
Maybe I could get used to it if I drank it every morning - or if I just capped the RR. I'll try it a few more times and see. In any case, it was nice not to have the RR sticking to my teeth and palate, as it usually does when taking it dry by spoon.
Anyway, the effects were difficult to gauge; of course the green tea will have perked me up, and also I made the mistake of forgetting that these herbal mood-enhancers are best taken on an empty stomach, and had eaten a bit of toast and honey, ham and a bit of chocolate for breakfast already. But my failure at CR is a topic for another post...
Mildly euphoric, in any case, which is a change from my typical frustration. ;)

I think the trio is a sound choice for anybody. Good enough for about 50 generations of Orientals, so why not for us too?

#7 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 06:17 PM

Yowza! The taste of RR in particular was too overpowering to make a drink of it, despite my using a pot-full of tea. Had to add quite a bit of honey and some chocamine to make it palatable.
Maybe I could get used to it if I drank it every morning - or if I just capped the RR. I'll try it a few more times and see. In any case, it was nice not to have the RR sticking to my teeth and palate, as it usually does when taking it dry by spoon.
Anyway, the effects were difficult to gauge; of course the green tea will have perked me up, and also I made the mistake of forgetting that these herbal mood-enhancers are best taken on an empty stomach, and had eaten a bit of toast and honey, ham and a bit of chocolate for breakfast already. But my failure at CR is a topic for another post...
Mildly euphoric, in any case, which is a change from my typical frustration. ;)

I think the trio is a sound choice for anybody. Good enough for about 50 generations of Orientals, so why not for us too?

You will notice that the rhodiola will partially negate if not completely the stimulation one will normally obtain from stimulant use. This is applicable in my case; I'm not quite sure about other people though.

#8 dumbdumb

• Topic Starter
  • 115 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 07:30 AM

You will notice that the rhodiola will partially negate if not completely the stimulation one will normally obtain from stimulant use. This is applicable in my case; I'm not quite sure about other people though.

Thanks for the tip! I'll begin taking the RR at night then.

#9 chris76

• 17 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:32 AM

I am very interested in these herbs ( Ashwagandha, Rhodiola Rosea, and Bacopa). Could someone compare them: energizing/calming .. actions and when to take them.

I am feeling a little fatigue in the morning as i am tapering off caffeine and drinking green tea instead. For that Rhodiola should be a good choice?

/thanks

Edited by chris76, 12 July 2010 - 10:32 AM.

#10 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:37 AM

I am feeling a little fatigue in the morning as i am tapering off caffeine and drinking green tea instead. For that Rhodiola should be a good choice?

Bacopa and ashwagandha can both potentially cause fatigue for some, and lots of people take them at night. Rhodiola can be energizing—I've found it to be so more at lower dosages. Gotu kola is also worth thinking about for slight stimulation, though in my brief experience it's seemed more mental than systemic.

Good luck quitting the caffeine! I think it's a good choice. There are several great threads here on the subject, with recommendations for replacements. ALCAR is one that comes to mind; while not herbal, it is a chemical which occurs naturally in the body.

And with regard to the original question: water doesn't extract the neurogenic compounds from ashwagandha (see 2nd paper here). It may still pull some of the molecules which affect anxiety, or it may not. Don't know the water solubilities of bacopa and rhodiola molecules, but I'll post if I find anything.

#11 caruga

• 514 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:49 PM

Interesting. I've added boiling water to the exact same combination (except bacopa is brahmi: a 50:50 combo of bacopa and gotu kola), ever since the instructions on the brahmi recommended doing so. I always thought it was to bleed out the chemicals or something to enhance absorption. It also introduced me to the laxative effects of bacopa in a most unpleasant way, though I thought it might be metal poisoning from the ashwagandha at the time. I think it works, since i've been able to lower my dosages and feel an equal response (I take 250mg rhodiola, 350mg ashwagandha, 500mg brahmi--I've also started adding green tea extract as of today).

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#12 Justchill

• 315 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 12:22 PM

@Caruga - how do you feel on this herbal mix? Do you have more energy?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users