Photo
- - - - -

CR and effects on sexual life

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mat

• 12 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 10:26 AM

What about erection and sex drive? does CRON affect these 2 parameters?

I experienced these 2 problems when i was on a calorie restriction.
This is one reason why i decided to move towards a methionine restriction approach
i think it is less demanding and probably ( I hope) it will have the same effect!

what is your experience?

#2 mat

• Topic Starter
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 10:28 AM

FROM MATT

"what about erection and sex drive? does CRON affect these 2 parameters?"

I know this is not my thread, but since I've basically been on CR since I was 18, CRON from 20 years to now (almost 24). Sex drive hasn't changed for me, I'm not chasing after all the women or anything and I don't constantly think about sex lol, but it doesn't mean I got no sex drive. Plus I don't know any different since males sex drive is highest around 20? As for erection problems, I've NEVER heard of this being a problem from calorie restriction, maybe it was something else? For me it isn't a problem. CR should not affect this I don't think, but with better vascular function from healthy nutrition and CR, it should improve it if anything lol.

#3 mat

• Topic Starter
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 10:32 AM

Hi Matt

Thanks for your replay.

I started to practice CR when I was 36 and I saw a dramatic change in both parameter (sex drive and erection quality).

May be you are young so your body manages to produce a large quantity of testosterone and even if a strong reduction of testosterone production occurs because the CR may be the level is still high.

In my case probably I started with a level that was lower because the age

For example

Young Person testosterone level =100 reduction 50 % final value= 50 still enough

Mature person testosterone level = 50 reduction 50% final value = 25 not enough

Does anyone over 30 has experienced similar problems?

#4 mat

• Topic Starter
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 11:56 AM

It looks like people on CR do not have a sex life after all.

we should call it sex restriction and not calorie restriction!!!! :) :)

http://www.intensedf.com

#5 ozmonster

• 87 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 03:26 PM

I also noticed a dramatic decrease in my sex drive.

Many other animals, including primates, have dramatic decrease in sex drive and reproduction during times of CR due to natural forces. The reason for this is that sperm takes a lot of resources to produce. As the body adjusts to CR, it chooses survival over reproduction.

If I add a meal to my CR regimen, I notice a dramatic increase in sex drive within 1 hour of consumption. However, my body fat is 4% and I am on 40% CR.

#6 wydell

• 503 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 04:04 PM

There are many benefits to CR, but I think there are also some detriments for some folks. I think it also depends on the amount of calorie restriction. For example, mild calorie restriction, a 20% reduction of calories, in mice is reported to have no effect on testosterone levels.

There are natural supps that increase libido. I bet that they might work for CRON folks if that was an issue.

One person's response on CR from http://www.psycholog...n....xml&page=2

"Many CR practitioners lose their sex drive. How is that healthy?

Obviously, it's not for everyone. When you're on the high testosterone side of the fence and your libido is going strong, it's virtually impossible to see the appeal of the side of the fence that I'm on now. Some veteran CRonies, but not all, have observed this virtual disappearance of sexual desire. Like most men, I used to think about sex many, many times a day. It's inconceivable to think about not having that as a large focus. Now, however, it's very hard to see the appeal of going back to that testosterone-driven way of life. I don't miss my libido one bit.

One of the biggest difficulties for my wife is that I'm not as attractive and she isn't as attracted to me as she used to be. But psychologically and emotionally, she's much more attracted to me now. I'm a much more considerate husband and father than I was prior to starting the diet. My testosterone is extremely low, in the ballpark of an average woman."

I also noticed a dramatic decrease in my sex drive.

Many other animals, including primates, have dramatic decrease in sex drive and reproduction during times of CR due to natural forces. The reason for this is that sperm takes a lot of resources to produce. As the body adjusts to CR, it chooses survival over reproduction.

If I add a meal to my CR regimen, I notice a dramatic increase in sex drive within 1 hour of consumption. However, my body fat is 4% and I am on 40% CR.

• dislike x 1

#7 ozmonster

• 87 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 05:27 PM

Now, however, it's very hard to see the appeal of going back to that testosterone-driven way of life. I don't miss my libido one bit.

Im not sure you can use testosterone and sex drive interchangeably. Although they are closely related, it is possible to have normal levels of testosterone with a decrease of sex drive. Anaerobic exercise, adrenalin release due to stress, frustration or aggression, to name a few, will affect testosterone production.

Sex drive seems to be, to me, a function of the lack resources mainly. Testosterone is much more complex, imho.

#8 magnelectro

• 49 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 10:54 PM

As ozmonster noted, many animals experience decreased fecundity as a result of CR. Of interest to CRONies is the following study. Essential amino acid restricted drosophila experience similar life extension as CR, along with the noted decrease in reproduction. What's interesting, is that when methionine was reintroduced into the diet reproduction was rescued without a reduction of life extension! They also found that adding excess carbohydrate or lipid to such diets did not reduce the maximum life expectancy, indicating that it is the EAA restriction (and perhaps the induced autophagy) that is responsible for life extension and not the restriction of calories per say.

With specially prepared protein shakes or genetically engineered foods, human beings could theoretically eat as much as they want while experiencing the lifespan extending benefits of CR along with the life quality enhancing effects of ad libitum eating. I say theoretically of course, because things are bound to be more complicated. Nature has a few surprises in store for us yet!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users