Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

Niacinamide/nicotinamide

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#31 100YearsToGo

• 204 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 10:45 PM

Hmm. Niacin is converted to nicotinamide and then to NAD and NADP in vivo. Niacin is an essential nutrient. And how true is it that nicotinamide inhibits SIRT1 in humans?

It does but has numerous benefits...So taking it, is a balancing act.

Thats why I'm also looking at Nicotinamide Riboside. It is a recently discovered precursor for NAD+
both in yeast and humans.

http://linkinghub.el...092867404004167

It was shown to increase lifespan in yeast, mimicking coloric restriction:

http://www.dartmouth.../belenky07b.pdf

while nicotinic acid (niacin) and Nicotinamide fail to extend lifespan:
Bitterman et al., 2002; Gallo et al.,2004)

Unlike Niacin and nicotinamide, Nicotinamide Riboside increases NAD but does not inhibit sirt1
actually it activates sirt1.

In the following study it was used to activate sirt1 to confer
neuroprotection in optic neuritis.

http://www.pubmedcen...i?artid=1964753

Although nicotinamide has many many benefits..maybe Nicotinamide Riboside is the real McCoy!
Would like to hear the opinions of others.

Regards,

100YTG

Edited by 100YearsToGo, 22 November 2008 - 10:46 PM.

#32 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 11:29 PM

Nicotinamide Riboside definitely seems like the most promising variety of niacin, the problem is finding a source. I don't know why supplement manufacturers have yet to jump on this train. If any are reading, get on it.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 11:57 PM

Nicotinamide Riboside definitely seems like the most promising variety of niacin, the problem is finding a source. I don't know why supplement manufacturers have yet to jump on this train. If any are reading, get on it.

This is from a LEF newsletter from 2007. One would think they would be on it by now.

Life Extension Update Exclusive
Got nicotinamide riboside?

The May 3, 2007 issue of the journal Cell reported the finding of Dartmouth University researchers that a vitamin recently discovered in milk extends the life span of yeast in a manner similar to that of calorie restriction. The vitamin is nicotinamide riboside (NR), a cousin of niacin, and is a precursor to nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide or NAD, a cellular factor essential for all life.

Dartmouth associate professor of genetics and biochemistry Charles Brenner and associates determined that providing NR to yeast activates the antiaging gene product Sir2, which is analogous to human sirtuins—gene products involved in energy expenditure and longevity that are activated by calorie restriction and may be responsible for some of its benefits. Yeast cells that were capable of dividing thirteen times divided more than 23 times after receiving NR.

Two pathways were found by which yeast can raise NAD levels, improve gene expression control, and live longer in the presence of high glucose.

“It’s surprising that no one was able to elevate NAD with a small molecule before,” Dr Brenner stated. ”We showed that that we could improve Sir2-dependent gene silencing with NR and increase the longevity of yeast grown in high glucose conditions.”

The beneficial effects of NR are similar to those found for resveratrol, a compound that occurs in grapes and other plants, which also activates sirtuins. Noting that they increase sirtuin activity via different mechanisms, Dr Brenner stated that “the two compounds could be complementary or synergistic.”

“If we could do this in humans -- give people a drug or vitamin that would mimic effects of calorie restriction without having to skip lunch -- we would be able to provide some of the benefits of calorie restriction, which are pretty striking in model organisms,” Dr Brenner observed. “As a natural product found in milk, we expect the compound to be much safer than most drugs, and to be a more specific remedy than most vitamins.”

Edited by missminni, 23 November 2008 - 12:10 AM.

#34 neogenic

• Topic Starter
  • 481 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 05:25 AM

Wouldn't taking NOW NAD+ be cheaper and easier for raising NAD+...stands to reason. I love it and find, far, far more effective than ENADA's NADH.

#35 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 November 2008 - 11:55 AM

This may depend on the reason you want to take it for. The pathways of the 3 forms are different, to put it bluntly, niacin, niacinamide and -riboside represent the structure of B3 along the path of metabolism. Additionally, there are some differences. But my view on the matter may be incomplete.
Opinion: Probably for this same reason the safety profile of niacinamide is better than that of niacin since niacinamide does effect fewer pathways.

See attached diagram, which, as mentioned above, may not be complete. (Click to enlarge)

Attached Files

Edited by Brainbox, 23 November 2008 - 12:06 PM.

#36 JonesGuy

• 1,183 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 12:05 PM

The noot portion of imminst has always bothered me. How many people here actually read the paper and saw all the warning signs regarding over-consumption of Vit B3? Some people here are thinking about doses which clearly affect the mind and the health, but don't seem to know the science.

#37 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 November 2008 - 12:11 PM

The noot portion of imminst has always bothered me. How many people here actually read the paper and saw all the warning signs regarding over-consumption of Vit B3? Some people here are thinking about doses which clearly affect the mind and the health, but don't seem to know the science.

I agree with that completely. If you take large amounts of any form of B3, do your blood work! At least liver enzymes, but there are a lot of issues to check as well. But any supplementation with higher dose should be accompanied by decent measurements. Actually, decent measurements should be accompanied by supplementation.... ;)

#38 100YearsToGo

• 204 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 04:39 PM

Brewers yeast ;) . The problem is it also has niacin, which defeats our purpose.

The digestion of brewer yeast produces Nicotinamide Riboside. The following study was done to investigate why brewer yeast had a cholesterol lowering effect. It was found to be partly because of Nicotanamide Riboside.

"One inhibitory substance was isolated from yeast and was found to be nicotinamide riboside. This may have been produced from NAD(P) during the preparation of yeast extracts, and it may be produced from dietary yeast supplements during digestion in vivo. Nicotinamide riboside may be partly responsible for the reported effects of yeast supplements on plasma lipids in humans."

very "old' study:

http://journals.camb...244640216120c97

Acid Whey, another source of Nicotinamide Riboside also lowers cholesterol...although I don't know if it is because of the NR.

http://www.ingentaco...000002/art00013

Edited by 100YearsToGo, 23 November 2008 - 04:42 PM.

#39 100YearsToGo

• 204 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 09:50 PM

This is from a LEF newsletter from 2007. One would think they would be on it by now.

Life Extension Update Exclusive
Got nicotinamide riboside?

The May 3, 2007 issue of the journal Cell reported the finding of Dartmouth University researchers that a vitamin recently discovered in milk extends the life span of yeast in a manner similar to that of calorie restriction. The vitamin is nicotinamide riboside (NR), a cousin of niacin, and is a precursor to nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide or NAD, a cellular factor essential for all life.

Dartmouth associate professor of genetics and biochemistry Charles Brenner and associates determined that providing NR to yeast activates the antiaging gene product Sir2, which is analogous to human sirtuins—gene products involved in energy expenditure and longevity that are activated by calorie restriction and may be responsible for some of its benefits. Yeast cells that were capable of dividing thirteen times divided more than 23 times after receiving NR.

Two pathways were found by which yeast can raise NAD levels, improve gene expression control, and live longer in the presence of high glucose.

"It's surprising that no one was able to elevate NAD with a small molecule before," Dr Brenner stated. "We showed that that we could improve Sir2-dependent gene silencing with NR and increase the longevity of yeast grown in high glucose conditions."

The beneficial effects of NR are similar to those found for resveratrol, a compound that occurs in grapes and other plants, which also activates sirtuins. Noting that they increase sirtuin activity via different mechanisms, Dr Brenner stated that "the two compounds could be complementary or synergistic."

"If we could do this in humans -- give people a drug or vitamin that would mimic effects of calorie restriction without having to skip lunch -- we would be able to provide some of the benefits of calorie restriction, which are pretty striking in model organisms," Dr Brenner observed. "As a natural product found in milk, we expect the compound to be much safer than most drugs, and to be a more specific remedy than most vitamins."

Yes resveratrol and Nicotinamide Riboside could work synergistically. Not surprisingly, David Sinclair is listed as on of the inventors in this "Nicotinamide riboside and analogues thereof" patent:

http://www.freshpate...20060229265.php

hint...hint!

This document probably gives the latest state of the art on NR:

http://www.dartmouth...ner/bogan08.pdf

PROSPECTS FOR NR

AS A SUPPLEMENT

"The most fundamental use of NAD+ precursor molecules, Na and Nam, is in the prevention of pellagra. Like Na and Nam, NR is a naturalproduct found in milk (14), which is incorporated into the intracellular NAD+ pool (94), and thus could be used as a general supplement, potentially for people who have adverse reactions to Na or Nam. More significantly, however, the specific utilization of NR by neurons may provide qualitative advantages over niacins in promoting function in the central and peripheral nervous system.

NR may also find uses related to the pharmacological uses of Na or Nam, which are limited by the side effects of each. Because Gpr109A is specific for the acid and not the amide (85, 92), one would not expect NR to cause flushing. Similarly, the side effects associated with high-dose use of Nam in the prevention and treatment of diabetic disorders (65) raise substantial health and safety concerns (44). In light of the inhibitory effects of Nam on sirtuins and the protective roles of sirtuins in normal cellular metabolism (18a, 91), NR may represent an alternative supplement. Though uncertainties as to the mechanisms of action of therapeutic doses of Na and Nam exist, positive results with NR would clarify the mechanisms of action of Na andNam.Because of the prevalence of PARP activation in neuropathies, inflammation, and neurodegeneration and the association of C. glabrata adherence with low NAD+, NR has great potential as a supplement or therapeutic agent that would elevate or maintain NAD+ in specific tissues. Future work will evaluate the pharmacokinetics, safety, and efficacy in animal and human systems to maintain health and to prevent disease."

Edited by 100YearsToGo, 23 November 2008 - 09:58 PM.

#40 neogenic

• Topic Starter
  • 481 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 12:08 AM

So again why not just use NOW's NAD+? Also how does xanthinol nicotinate factor in to the discussion?

Edited by Michael, 18 January 2009 - 12:56 PM.

#41 100YearsToGo

• 204 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 09:54 AM

So again why not just use NOW's NAD+? Also how does xanthinol nicotinate factor in to the discussion?

All plant, animal, and fungal inputs in our diet contain cellular NAD+ and NAD+ metabolites, foods provide NAD+, NADH, NADP, and NADPH, which are considered nutritional "niacin equivalents. NOW's NAD is more of the same.

It is broken down to niacin equivalents before entering the (intra) cellular process. You can not import NAD+ into a cell. It has to be "made" through the known pathways. Researchers such as Brenner would not be wasting their time if there was a short cut. As to xanthinol nocotinate please explain why do you think it would work to increase NAD and activate sirtuins. I asks this because as far as I know, Tryptophan (Trp), nicotinic acid (Na), nicotinamide (Nam), nicotinamide riboside (NR), and possibly nicotinic acid riboside (NaR) are the only known metabolic pathways to form NAD+ in the cell.

Regards,

100YTG

Edited by Michael, 18 January 2009 - 12:55 PM.

#42 100YearsToGo

• 204 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 01:54 AM

OK... back to nicotinamide. The synthesis of NAD from nicotinamide (NAM) is different in yeast, invertebrates and mammals. Thats why sinclair suggested that the whole sirt1 inhibition thing may not apply (in yeast and worms sirtuins are inhibited by NAM). In mammals NAM is converted to NMN and then to NAD. The conversion from NAM to NMN happens intracellular and extracellular through an enzyme called nicotinamide phosphoribosyltransferase (NAMPT).

Posted Image

"A significant fraction of nicotinamide might be converted to NMN by extracellular NAMPT (eNAMPT) in blood circulation. NMN is transported to the inside of cells likely through an unidentified transporter and rapidly converted to NAD by NMNAT"

Additionally NAM that enters the cell would be also converted to NAD again through iNAMPT

http://www.bioscienc...028/figures.htm

This could mean that the load of NAM in the cell could be significantly less. Sirt1 would have a lot of NAD available (through MNM ) to activate it, and less NAM to inhibit it. This scenario is supported by numerous health benefits (including neuro protective ones) attributed to NAM.

Would like to hear the opinion of the forum.

Edited by 100YearsToGo, 01 December 2008 - 01:57 AM.

#43 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 07:58 PM

What are the risks of niacinamide supplementation besides possible liver toxicity at the 3 gram and higher range? Is that all we know of?

The rat study about hyperhomocysteinemia seems irrelevant as it took 1gram/kg to produce that effect, while 400mg/kg did not. This works out to 70 and 28 grams respectively for a 70kg human, and we are discussing doses of less than 3 grams.

Edited by FunkOdyssey, 02 December 2008 - 07:59 PM.

#44 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 09:43 PM

What are the risks of niacinamide supplementation besides possible liver toxicity at the 3 gram and higher range? Is that all we know of?

The rat study about hyperhomocysteinemia seems irrelevant as it took 1gram/kg to produce that effect, while 400mg/kg did not. This works out to 70 and 28 grams respectively for a 70kg human, and we are discussing doses of less than 3 grams.

I've been taking it for over a month now at 750 mg twice a day and as far as I know, there are no adverse side effects that I've
experienced . I just reduced my dosage to once a day but I might go back to twice. I was instructed to take it - 750 mg along with 400 mg folic acid and 30 mg zinc.
As for adverse effects,
I found this information:

Effect on lab tests:

* Urinary catecholamine concentration may show falsely elevate results.
* Urine glucose (using Benedict's reagent) may produce false-positive reactions.
* Falsely elevates blood sugar.
* Falsely increases growth-hormone level in blood.
* Falsely elevates blood-uric acid with large daily doses.

Storage:

* Store in cool, dry place away from direct light, but don't freeze.
* Store safely out of reach of children.
* Don't store in bathroom medicine cabinet. Heat and moisture may change action of vitamin.

Others:

* High doses over long periods may cause liver damage or aggravate a stomach ulcer.1

1 From Griffith HW, Vitamins, Minerals, and Supplements.
NIACINAMIDE: OVERDOSE/TOXICITY

Signs and symptoms:

Body flush, nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, diarrhea, weakness, lightheadedness, fainting, sweating, headache, high blood sugar, high uric acid, heart-rhythm disturbances.

What to do:

For symptoms of overdosage: Discontinue vitamin, and consult doctor. Also see ADVERSE REACTIONS OR SIDE EFFECTS.

For accidental overdosage (such as child taking entire bottle): Dial emergency services, your telephone operator or your nearest Poison Control Center.1

NIACINAMIDE: ADVERSE REACTIONS OR SIDE EFFECTS
NIACINAMIDE: ADVERSE REACTIONS OR SIDE EFFECTS

Reaction or effect What to do

Abdominal pain Discontinue. Call doctor immediately.

Diarrhea Discontinue. Call doctor immediately.

Faintness Discontinue. Call doctor immediately.

Headache Discontinue. Call doctor when convenient.

"Hot" feeling, with skin Nothing.

flushed in blush zone (always)

Jaundice (yellow skin and eyes) Seek emergency treatment.

Nausea Discontinue. Call doctor immediately.

Skin dryness Discontinue. Call doctor immediately.

Vomiting Discontinue. Call doctor immediately.1

NIACINAMIDE: INTERACTION WITH OTHER SUBSTANCES
Interacts with Combined effect

Anti-diabetics Decreases anti-diabetic effect.

Beta-adrenergic blockers Lowers blood pressure to extremely low level.

Chenodiol Decreases chenodiol effect.

Guanethidine Increases guanethidine effect.

Isoniazid Decreases niacin effect.

Mecamylamine Lowers blood pressure to extremely low level.

Pargyline Lowers blood pressure to extremely low level.

Tobacco decreases absorption. Smokers may require supplemental niacin.

Alcohol may cause excessively low blood pressure. Use caution.1

Edited by missminni, 02 December 2008 - 10:25 PM.

#45 geddarkstorm

• 191 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 03:38 AM

Thanks 100YearsToGo for inviting me to this thread. This is all very interesting stuff.

I'd like to clarify something really fast. NR is NMN, just so everyone knows. It may lack the phosphate group, but that's it. Since all NR/NMN is lacking is the adenine moiety, a flux change into NAD/NADP is rapid and easy.

Personally, I would think if you want to boost NAD levels most effectively, you want to take NR/NMN. This is especially good since niacinamide can enter a cell directly if not converted in serum (the serum enzyme likely has a low affinity low efficiency) and reduce Sirt1 to inhibit it. This is a chemical reaction, so it's going to happen whenever niacinamide and Sirt1 get together if there aren't other factors to stop it, and is apparently blocked once a ribose is put on (conversion into NR/NMN) - this is also how it inhibits tau protein, so NR/NMN won't do that, but then again there's things like methylene blue, which directly bind to tau proteins and break up aggregates in a direct way; so niacinamide isn't the only weapon that's potent against Alzheimer's.

How well niacinamide would inhibit Sirt1/Tau in vivo will depend on the flux of the pathways to convert it to NR/NMN and ultimately NAD, and the concentration of niacinamide that can reach Sirt1/Tau to react with it. When it gets made into NAD however, it'll help up Sirt1 activity, so that may not only offset the original inhibition, but give a net activation. However, the pathways can go in reverse too, so large amounts of NR/NMN can be converted into niacinamide if there is insufficient enzyme to convert to NAD (or if there is too much NAD?) - but this would be a minor amount compared to actually taking niaciniamide, since some is constantly going to NAD instead of backwards. Nevertheless, if there is too much NAD, the pathway flux may stall out and leave a lot of niacinamide just floating about, so that's something to think about with dosage of niacinamide in contrast to NR. As, because it's a reducing chemical reaction with Sirt1 according to that tau paper, niacinamide's effect on Sirt1 will more than likely win out in any direct competition with NAD (that is, net inhibition. We surely need more research into this).

Also to note is that cells monitor their redox state, and will work hard to restore normal NAD/NADH ratio levels. High amounts of NAD means the cell is in an oxidizing form and will rapidly break down glucose and fats to feed NAD(P)H into the TCA cycle. This is part of why a boost in NAD is so beneficial. Sensor enzymes for the metabolic state of the cell, like Sirt1, will activate and switch on more catabolic systems to try to alleviate this energy deficiency as they see it. One could say, taking high amounts of NAD precursors to make NAD will trick cells into an energy starved state. Cells will think they are running low on fuel and remodel everything to answer the imaginary energy crisis, including upregulating genes that may increase life span :-D . However, at the same time, cells might start down regulating the enzymes that convert precursors into NAD to try to reach homeostasis, since there's plenty of NAD now. I don't know to what extent, or if that happens, however.

So, after reading all this, I would believe, from the information and science here, that NR would be the best form to take and would synergize with resveratrol quite wonderfully. On the other hand, boosting NAD too much might cause some cells to freak out, such as the liver, and start catabolizing everything, including proteins (possibly lead to muscle breakdown?). This is especially relevant to the liver since the liver is the only tissue I know of that directly makes glucose and exports it into the blood to keep the brain and heart supplied. If the liver thinks you're almost out of fuel, due to too much NAD verses NADH, it might kick into hyper drive and flood one's system with all sorts of emergency fuels. However, the concentration of other monitored energy molecules like ATP and pyruvate/glucose/citrate may stop this from happening, since they won't be depleted as the cell isn't actually starving. The pancreas and insulin secretion could also be effected, not sure on that or how, though insulin sensitivity should go way up, which is quite good. Also, high levels of NAD precursor could very well benefit nasties in ones guts and body; giving them access to resources that are generally limited and have to be scavenged out of the host system. Sure, they can make it themselves usually, but why spend the energy and precious carbon if they can get it directly?

This is why I would lean towards resveratrol mostly being a better way to go, since it apparently avoids all these downsides and does even more good, and rely mostly on food and the occasional supplement (NR?) for the necessary amounts of NAD.

One last thought. If one ups the level of NAD precursors, ATP will be used up to anabolize them to NAD; so one'll be using up a bit of ATP. Also, so much NAD and NADH in the cell will have to be dealt with and broken down (you'll get AMP/ADP back at least). What exactly NAD becomes when it's broken down for secretion, I don't know. It might even go back into vitamin form. If that is the case, then NAD precursors may become less effective over time as cells desensitize to the vitamin and upregulate breakdown pathways. It all depends on the dose of course, and how extreme it is in the view of the cell as to determining how the cell will respond; personal biochemistries and genetic make ups; etc. It's very complex, and I can't even begin to recommend what dosages to use or anything, though personally I would think to use it sparingly (~500mg-1g?), especially with resveratrol. Hopefully even more research will come out with continued in vivo work to clarify additional bits on how an organism responds as a whole.

This is only my thoughts on things, nothing more; there's plenty I could be, and some I probably am, wrong on. There's always pros and cons, just depends on what dose gives you the most pros and how much greater they are than any cons. Who knows what science will discover tomorrow.

In all, NR sounds quite useful and certainly has piqued my interest!

Edited by geddarkstorm, 09 December 2008 - 03:46 AM.

• Informative x 2
  • like x 1

#46 100YearsToGo

• 204 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 01:07 PM

Thanks 100YearsToGo for inviting me to this thread. This is all very interesting stuff.

I'd like to clarify something really fast. NR is NMN, just so everyone knows. It may lack the phosphate group, but that's it. Since all NR/NMN is lacking is the adenine moiety, a flux change into NAD/NADP is rapid and easy.

Personally, I would think if you want to boost NAD levels most effectively, you want to take NR/NMN. This is especially good since niacinamide can enter a cell directly if not converted in serum (the serum enzyme likely has a low affinity low efficiency) and reduce Sirt1 to inhibit it. This is a chemical reaction, so it's going to happen whenever niacinamide and Sirt1 get together if there aren't other factors to stop it, and is apparently blocked once a ribose is put on (conversion into NR/NMN) - this is also how it inhibits tau protein, so NR/NMN won't do that, but then again there's things like methylene blue, which directly bind to tau proteins and break up aggregates in a direct way; so niacinamide isn't the only weapon that's potent against Alzheimer's.

How well niacinamide would inhibit Sirt1/Tau in vivo will depend on the flux of the pathways to convert it to NR/NMN and ultimately NAD, and the concentration of niacinamide that can reach Sirt1/Tau to react with it. When it gets made into NAD however, it'll help up Sirt1 activity, so that may not only offset the original inhibition, but give a net activation. However, the pathways can go in reverse too, so large amounts of NR/NMN can be converted into niacinamide if there is insufficient enzyme to convert to NAD (or if there is too much NAD?) - but this would be a minor amount compared to actually taking niaciniamide, since some is constantly going to NAD instead of backwards. Nevertheless, if there is too much NAD, the pathway flux may stall out and leave a lot of niacinamide just floating about, so that's something to think about with dosage of niacinamide in contrast to NR. As, because it's a reducing chemical reaction with Sirt1 according to that tau paper, niacinamide's effect on Sirt1 will more than likely win out in any direct competition with NAD (that is, net inhibition. We surely need more research into this).

Also to note is that cells monitor their redox state, and will work hard to restore normal NAD/NADH ratio levels. High amounts of NAD means the cell is in an oxidizing form and will rapidly break down glucose and fats to feed NAD(P)H into the TCA cycle. This is part of why a boost in NAD is so beneficial. Sensor enzymes for the metabolic state of the cell, like Sirt1, will activate and switch on more catabolic systems to try to alleviate this energy deficiency as they see it. One could say, taking high amounts of NAD precursors to make NAD will trick cells into an energy starved state. Cells will think they are running low on fuel and remodel everything to answer the imaginary energy crisis, including upregulating genes that may increase life span :) . However, at the same time, cells might start down regulating the enzymes that convert precursors into NAD to try to reach homeostasis, since there's plenty of NAD now. I don't know to what extent, or if that happens, however.

So, after reading all this, I would believe, from the information and science here, that NR would be the best form to take and would synergize with resveratrol quite wonderfully. On the other hand, boosting NAD too much might cause some cells to freak out, such as the liver, and start catabolizing everything, including proteins (possibly lead to muscle breakdown?). This is especially relevant to the liver since the liver is the only tissue I know of that directly makes glucose and exports it into the blood to keep the brain and heart supplied. If the liver thinks you're almost out of fuel, due to too much NAD verses NADH, it might kick into hyper drive and flood one's system with all sorts of emergency fuels. However, the concentration of other monitored energy molecules like ATP and pyruvate/glucose/citrate may stop this from happening, since they won't be depleted as the cell isn't actually starving. The pancreas and insulin secretion could also be effected, not sure on that or how, though insulin sensitivity should go way up, which is quite good. Also, high levels of NAD precursor could very well benefit nasties in ones guts and body; giving them access to resources that are generally limited and have to be scavenged out of the host system. Sure, they can make it themselves usually, but why spend the energy and precious carbon if they can get it directly?

This is why I would lean towards resveratrol mostly being a better way to go, since it apparently avoids all these downsides and does even more good, and rely mostly on food and the occasional supplement (NR?) for the necessary amounts of NAD.

One last thought. If one ups the level of NAD precursors, ATP will be used up to anabolize them to NAD; so one'll be using up a bit of ATP. Also, so much NAD and NADH in the cell will have to be dealt with and broken down (you'll get AMP/ADP back at least). What exactly NAD becomes when it's broken down for secretion, I don't know. It might even go back into vitamin form. If that is the case, then NAD precursors may become less effective over time as cells desensitize to the vitamin and upregulate breakdown pathways. It all depends on the dose of course, and how extreme it is in the view of the cell as to determining how the cell will respond; personal biochemistries and genetic make ups; etc. It's very complex, and I can't even begin to recommend what dosages to use or anything, though personally I would think to use it sparingly (~500mg-1g?), especially with resveratrol. Hopefully even more research will come out with continued in vivo work to clarify additional bits on how an organism responds as a whole.

This is only my thoughts on things, nothing more; there's plenty I could be, and some I probably am, wrong on. There's always pros and cons, just depends on what dose gives you the most pros and how much greater they are than any cons. Who knows what science will discover tomorrow.

Very Nice and informative post. Thanks. I personally would prefer NR too. The problem is where to get it.

#47 neogenic

• Topic Starter
  • 481 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 02:54 PM

Also to note is that cells monitor their redox state, and will work hard to restore normal NAD/NADH ratio levels. High amounts of NAD means the cell is in an oxidizing form and will rapidly break down glucose and fats to feed NAD(P)H into the TCA cycle. This is part of why a boost in NAD is so beneficial. Sensor enzymes for the metabolic state of the cell, like Sirt1, will activate and switch on more catabolic systems to try to alleviate this energy deficiency as they see it. One could say, taking high amounts of NAD precursors to make NAD will trick cells into an energy starved state. Cells will think they are running low on fuel and remodel everything to answer the imaginary energy crisis, including upregulating genes that may increase life span :) . However, at the same time, cells might start down regulating the enzymes that convert precursors into NAD to try to reach homeostasis, since there's plenty of NAD now. I don't know to what extent, or if that happens, however.

What are your thoughts of NADH supplements (enteric coated - ENADA) or NAD+ (sublingual) by NOW Foods. The idea got bashed before as it "simply just gets broke down" and doesn't have any direct action, but I didn't think that was the case. The NAD+ supplement, I've found, to be a clear and noticeable energy that I really enjoy and I am not one for placebo...I am truly skeptical when assessing my supplement choices and what to add in.

Great information overall. What do you use? What is the form, dose and timing (in light of NR not being available)?

#48 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 03:08 PM

Complain to Anthony about the availability of nicotinamide riboside. I brought it to his attention and said he's looking into it but I don't think he fully grasps its potential as a supplement yet or how many people are interested.

#49 geddarkstorm

• 191 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 04:00 AM

What are your thoughts of NADH supplements (enteric coated - ENADA) or NAD+ (sublingual) by NOW Foods. The idea got bashed before as it "simply just gets broke down" and doesn't have any direct action, but I didn't think that was the case. The NAD+ supplement, I've found, to be a clear and noticeable energy that I really enjoy and I am not one for placebo...I am truly skeptical when assessing my supplement choices and what to add in.

Great information overall. What do you use? What is the form, dose and timing (in light of NR not being available)?

This paper, which you can get for free, is a landmark paper on the digestion of NADH/NAD+. Unfortunately, for rats and apparently people, NAD/NADH is rapidly converted to NR which is then converted to niacinamide (NAm) before it is taken up by intestinal cells to enter the blood stream. This happens due to enzymes in the intestinal cell membranes, so there's no escaping it if ingested orally. Apparently, NADH/NAD+ is the major form in our food, yet niacinamide is the major form in our blood, so that says something. Here's an exert from the paper:

"This evidence indicates that NR is converted to NAm before absorption occurs and that this reaction is the rate-limiting step. It also indicates that the glycohydrolase or nucleoside phosphorylase involved here is saturable. Work by Grossman et al. showed that NRase from erythrocytes could be in hibited by NAm (14). Further evidence that cleavage to NAm occurs before absorption is the observation that NR was not found intestinal tissue or the perfusate fractions."

Now, this paper is from 1983, and it could be there are ways to get NAD/NR to be absorbed by the body without conversion, such as what vehicle it is mixed with for uptake. Just like resveratrol is greatly increased in uptake by tween 80, it could be that some mixture of chemicals that the supplements you listed might have, could allow NAD/NR to escape into the intestinal cells and blood. I have no idea, I'm afraid, as I know nothing about those supplements or additional methods for NAD/NR uptake. However, one thing to note is that paper by Grossman, talking about a NRase, that is, a protein red blood cells have to convert NR into some other form (NAm I'm guessing, though NAm levels will inhibit it after some critical point). So even if NR got into the blood, it would be turned into niacinamide, but at least that would be a slow process based only on if there wasn't enough blood niacinamide. So, if NR got into the blood, it could escape into the cells and become NAD as long as niacinamide levels were ok.

This is a huge bummer to me too, as plain NR oral supplements will be no different than taking straight niacinamide (since that's what it'll be turned into), unless there is some mechanism to circumvent all this. This also means niacinamide is the break down target of NAD. This changes a lot of factors. For instance, the amount of NAD/NADH in a cell will be at equilibrium with the circulating amounts of niacinamide in the blood. So, boosting niacinamide will boost NAD, but only according to some equilibrium ratio. Also, cells will most likely be able to tune this ratio and decrease niacinamide conversion to NAD if NAD(P)/NAD(P)H levels reach some critical threshold. In practical terms,this just means there's a saturation dosage after which more niacinamide will not increase cellular NAD levels, but just build up in the blood and inside cells. Eventually, niacinamide is further modified by the liver to be tagged and secreted from the body.

This is also interesting in that the body always has some level of niacinamide in the blood - so there is only a critical level of niacinamide that has to be reached before it will inhibit Sirt1 or Tau! This is extremely important for dosage, as one could get all the benefits of niacinamide without inhibiting Sirt1 appreciably as long as niacinamide/NAD/NR were taken at levels below the critical level. Resveratrol being a Sirt1 activator could very well push that critical level up, by keeping Sirt1 active even as niacinamide levels rose.

There's another very important note I have discovered when looking into these matters. Increasing NAD(P) levels can lead to impaired insulin secretion. That is, the pancreas' response to glucose, to release insulin, is dependent on the ratio of NADPH to NADP+. So too much niacinamide boost to NAD(P)+ levels could lead to diabetes transiently. This is just something to keep in mind: dosage is something to be careful with, you don't want it too high or insulin may be adversely affected. Likely, as I said above, cells can allosterically regulate the enzymes that convert niacinamide into NAD(P) and stop the conversion and reverse it if NAD(P) levels get too high (obviously it can be reversed as apparently niacinamide is what NAD is degraded into by cells), but who knows how fast that active response happens if it does, instead of simply being an equilibrium with niacinamide blood levels.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, now.. out of theory.. let's talk praticality. Since NAD/NADH/NR is just going to go into niacinamide form once it hits the blood, according to this research, is it better to take niacinamide, or continue to take those NAD pills? The advantage of the NAD/NMN/NR pills is that the absorption of niacinamide into your blood will be much slower and prolonged (24% verses 80% after 15 minutes). This can give cells time to adjust and the liver time to keep levels within a good range - still boosting your intracellular NAD but potentially keeping you from being flooded with un-metabolized niacinamide to react with Sirt1 and stuff; as well as preventing raw niacinamide from shocking cells with a rapid burst of NAD faster than can be equilibrized to NADH, which could stop insulin secretion and cause other allosteric/metabolic flux problems throughout cellular metabolism pathways (many enzymes are turned on or off based on the ratio of NAD to NADH, so it's vital to keep it regulated).

So, even with all this knowledge, I would say it is a better idea to take NAD/NADH/NR pills rather than straight niacinamide to get all the benefits and minimize any problems - and if using plain ol' niacinamide, dosage is very important, and should be kept below any potential NAD conversion saturation point (whatever that could be...). I currently don't have much money for supplements, so I can only take a generic multi-vitamin with 20mg niacin (as bad as it gets haha) in it once a week, heh.

Edited by geddarkstorm, 12 December 2008 - 04:15 AM.

• like x 2

#50 100YearsToGo

• 204 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 09:15 PM

This paper, which you can get for free, is a landmark paper on the digestion of NADH/NAD+. Unfortunately, for rats and apparently people, NAD/NADH is rapidly converted to NR which is then converted to niacinamide (NAm) before it is taken up by intestinal cells to enter the blood stream. This happens due to enzymes in the intestinal cell membranes, so there's no escaping it if ingested orally. Apparently, NADH/NAD+ is the major form in our food, yet niacinamide is the major form in our blood, so that says something. Here's an exert from the paper:

"This evidence indicates that NR is converted to NAm before absorption occurs and that this reaction is the rate-limiting step. It also indicates that the glycohydrolase or nucleoside phosphorylase involved here is saturable. Work by Grossman et al. showed that NRase from erythrocytes could be in hibited by NAm (14). Further evidence that cleavage to NAm occurs before absorption is the observation that NR was not found intestinal tissue or the perfusate fractions."

Now, this paper is from 1983, and it could be there are ways to get NAD/NR to be absorbed by the body without conversion, such as what vehicle it is mixed with for uptake. Just like resveratrol is greatly increased in uptake by tween 80, it could be that some mixture of chemicals that the supplements you listed might have, could allow NAD/NR to escape into the intestinal cells and blood. I have no idea, I'm afraid, as I know nothing about those supplements or additional methods for NAD/NR uptake. However, one thing to note is that paper by Grossman, talking about a NRase, that is, a protein red blood cells have to convert NR into some other form (NAm I'm guessing, though NAm levels will inhibit it after some critical point). So even if NR got into the blood, it would be turned into niacinamide, but at least that would be a slow process based only on if there wasn't enough blood niacinamide. So, if NR got into the blood, it could escape into the cells and become NAD as long as niacinamide levels were ok.

This is a huge bummer to me too, as plain NR oral supplements will be no different than taking straight niacinamide (since that's what it'll be turned into), unless there is some mechanism to circumvent all this. This also means niacinamide is the break down target of NAD. This changes a lot of factors. For instance, the amount of NAD/NADH in a cell will be at equilibrium with the circulating amounts of niacinamide in the blood. So, boosting niacinamide will boost NAD, but only according to some equilibrium ratio. Also, cells will most likely be able to tune this ratio and decrease niacinamide conversion to NAD if NAD(P)/NAD(P)H levels reach some critical threshold. In practical terms,this just means there's a saturation dosage after which more niacinamide will not increase cellular NAD levels, but just build up in the blood and inside cells. Eventually, niacinamide is further modified by the liver to be tagged and secreted from the body.

This is also interesting in that the body always has some level of niacinamide in the blood - so there is only a critical level of niacinamide that has to be reached before it will inhibit Sirt1 or Tau! This is extremely important for dosage, as one could get all the benefits of niacinamide without inhibiting Sirt1 appreciably as long as niacinamide/NAD/NR were taken at levels below the critical level. Resveratrol being a Sirt1 activator could very well push that critical level up, by keeping Sirt1 active even as niacinamide levels rose.

There's another very important note I have discovered when looking into these matters. Increasing NAD(P) levels can lead to impaired insulin secretion. That is, the pancreas' response to glucose, to release insulin, is dependent on the ratio of NADPH to NADP+. So too much niacinamide boost to NAD(P)+ levels could lead to diabetes transiently. This is just something to keep in mind: dosage is something to be careful with, you don't want it too high or insulin may be adversely affected. Likely, as I said above, cells can allosterically regulate the enzymes that convert niacinamide into NAD(P) and stop the conversion and reverse it if NAD(P) levels get too high (obviously it can be reversed as apparently niacinamide is what NAD is degraded into by cells), but who knows how fast that active response happens if it does, instead of simply being an equilibrium with niacinamide blood levels.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, now.. out of theory.. let's talk praticality. Since NAD/NADH/NR is just going to go into niacinamide form once it hits the blood, according to this research, is it better to take niacinamide, or continue to take those NAD pills? The advantage of the NAD/NMN/NR pills is that the absorption of niacinamide into your blood will be much slower and prolonged (24% verses 80% after 15 minutes). This can give cells time to adjust and the liver time to keep levels within a good range - still boosting your intracellular NAD but potentially keeping you from being flooded with un-metabolized niacinamide to react with Sirt1 and stuff; as well as preventing raw niacinamide from shocking cells with a rapid burst of NAD faster than can be equilibrized to NADH, which could stop insulin secretion and cause other allosteric/metabolic flux problems throughout cellular metabolism pathways (many enzymes are turned on or off based on the ratio of NAD to NADH, so it's vital to keep it regulated).

So, even with all this knowledge, I would say it is a better idea to take NAD/NADH/NR pills rather than straight niacinamide to get all the benefits and minimize any problems - and if using plain ol' niacinamide, dosage is very important, and should be kept below any potential NAD conversion saturation point (whatever that could be...). I currently don't have much money for supplements, so I can only take a generic multi-vitamin with 20mg niacin (as bad as it gets haha) in it once a week, heh.

I knew it was a good idea to invite you to join the party :)

"NR oral supplements will be no different than taking straight niacinamide "

I read the paper twice to see if we could escape from that conclusion. There is no escaping from it. The stomach and intestine takes care of the following conversion:

NAD-->NMN-->NR-->NAM, bummer....

This raises a couple of questions:

- Why is there a NR-NMN-NAD pathway in mammals if no NR can get in?
- Why is there NR in cows milk?
- If no dietary source can deliver NR to the blood. How is it formed extracellularly?

To complicate matters more:

Qprt, Nampt, Naprt1, and Nrk1,2 are the committed enzymes in the synthesis of NAD+ from Trp, Nam, Na, and NR.

Different tissues express more of one type of enzyme than the other. Because of this, one tissue type uses Trp as the preferred or exclusive main precursor for NAD, the other NAM the other NA and finally NR.

As far as we know:

Nrk2 is present in heart, brain, and skeletal muscle, and is notably absent in kidney, liver, lung, pancreas, and placenta, giving the former tissues a preference for NR

Naprt1 is expressed in intestine, liver, kidney, and heart. In addition, human kidney cell lines are able to use Na to increase intracellular NAD+ concentration in a manner that depends on the NAPRT1 gene, giving these tissues a preference for NA

And so on…

So why so much NrK2 in so many cell types? Why do they prefer NR?

Note also that nasal delivery of NAD+ is neuroprotective. Is this because of conversion to NR?

http://www.futuremedicine.com/doi/pdf/10.2217/14796708.3.1.1?cookieSet=1

Also according to brenner:

"Nrk2 mRNA levels following axonopathy are induced approximately 20-fold, indicating a preferential use of NR as a precursor in maintaining intracellular NAD+ levels in DRGneurons"

The NR saga continues... Nasal delivery or sublingual could be a way out?

#51 geddarkstorm

• 191 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 01:00 AM

I knew it was a good idea to invite you to join the party :)

"NR oral supplements will be no different than taking straight niacinamide "

I read the paper twice to see if we could escape from that conclusion. There is no escaping from it. The stomach and intestine takes care of the following conversion:

NAD-->NMN-->NR-->NAM, bummer....

This raises a couple of questions:

- Why is there a NR-NMN-NAD pathway in mammals if no NR can get in?
- Why is there NR in cows milk?
- If no dietary source can deliver NR to the blood. How is it formed extracellularly?

To complicate matters more:

Qprt, Nampt, Naprt1, and Nrk1,2 are the committed enzymes in the synthesis of NAD+ from Trp, Nam, Na, and NR.

Different tissues express more of one type of enzyme than the other. Because of this, one tissue type uses Trp as the preferred or exclusive main precursor for NAD, the other NAM the other NA and finally NR.

As far as we know:

Nrk2 is present in heart, brain, and skeletal muscle, and is notably absent in kidney, liver, lung, pancreas, and placenta, giving the former tissues a preference for NR

Naprt1 is expressed in intestine, liver, kidney, and heart. In addition, human kidney cell lines are able to use Na to increase intracellular NAD+ concentration in a manner that depends on the NAPRT1 gene, giving these tissues a preference for NA

And so on…

So why so much NrK2 in so many cell types? Why do they prefer NR?

Note also that nasal delivery of NAD+ is neuroprotective. Is this because of conversion to NR?

http://www.futuremedicine.com/doi/pdf/10.2217/14796708.3.1.1?cookieSet=1

Also according to brenner:

"Nrk2 mRNA levels following axonopathy are induced approximately 20-fold, indicating a preferential use of NR as a precursor in maintaining intracellular NAD+ levels in DRGneurons"

The NR saga continues... Nasal delivery or sublingual could be a way out?

Those are great questions and points. Obviously, this issue is a lot more complex than it appeared at first glance...

I can answer the first question fairly easily. Most of those mechanisms are likely salvage pathways. Conversion of NAD into NR only requires the removal of ADP, which one can imagine can occur in a variety of ways, possibly even spontaneous hydrolysis by water?

This paper is one you've seriously, seriously gotta read, as it really looks over this whole issue in depth and addresses most of it. It really is an amazing paper for trying to figure all this out. Just to give everyone a taste of some of the important bits, we can see from a figure on human NAD metabolism from that paper:

Posted Image

NR is by far the most adventageous molecule as it goes into NMN and lacks the negative effects of nicotinic acid (NA). However, NA is still a better option than niacinamide, it seems! Here's a quote from that paper to show what I mean:

"Nicotinamide is a potent biochemical inhibitor and a biological regulator of sirtuins.36,57,58 The inhibitory constants for nicotinamide have been determined to be in the range of 30 to 200μM for a variety of different sirtuin enzymes.58,69,70 Physiological nicotinamide concentrations are not widely reported, but measurements from our lab, to be described in the next section, establish that intracellular nicotinamide concentrations are typically within this range for both yeast and mammalian cells, consistent with the proposal that nicotinamide is a relevant negative regulator of sirtuin biochemical function in cells."

and:

"Although a nicotinamide derepression strategy has yet to be proven pharmacologically effective in activating human sirtuin biological functions, our recent measurements of nicotinamide concentrations in mammalian cells and tissues (typically in the 50-150 μM range) indicate that SIRT1 and other mammalian sirtuins are likely to be inhibited by intracellular nicotinamide. We are currently exploring the effectiveness of small molecules related to isonicotinamide in activating mammalian sirtuins in vitro and in vivo."

This means that niacinamide levels are already high enough to inhibit sirtuins in our cells, naturally, as it is right now. Now this is really starting to get deep.

Let's look at two more snipits, first about NAD+ levels and what they take to activate sirtuins:

"Perturbations of NAD+ metabolism alter sirtuin catalytic activity in yeast and in human cells and implicate NAD+ and related metabolites as regulators of genetic events in the cell nucleus. NAD+ is an abundant metabolite, and recent data indicate that concentrations of this metabolite are normally in the range of 400 to 700μM in human cells.61Km's for NAD+ of human and yeast sirtuins are in the range of 100 to 300μM.26,39 Given that the average cellular NAD+ concentration exceeds this Km range, it is not clear that fluctuations in NAD+ concentrations would be expected to significantly affect intracellular sirtuin biochemical function. On the other hand, a large number of proteins bind NAD+ and NADH such that the unbound NAD+ concentration in cells could be significantly lower than the determined intracellular NAD+ concentrations."

And then let's look at activators of sirtuins (resveratrol, quercetin, and potentially this thing called isonicatinamide):

"The activity identified for sirtuins in upregulating stress adaptation pathways and in reducing cell sensitivity to apoptosis has led to attempts to increase the catalytic rate of these enzymes in cells. Howitz et al73 identified a family of molecules from a library screen designed to detect compounds causing sirtuin activation. The screen identified a family of the well-known plant polyphenols, such as quercetin and the trans-stilbenoid resveratrol.73 These sirtuin-activating compounds (STACs) increase sirtuin biochemical functions by decreasing the apparent Km for the peptide substrate.73 These compounds have potent effects in decreasing apoptosis caused by ionizing radiation, trauma, or genotoxicity.29,73 The published biochemical activation effects of STACs appear to require the presence of a nonphysiologic fluorophore, complicating the understanding of the molecular mechanism by which these compounds provide sirtuin activation in cells.74

An alternative activation strategy pioneered by Sauve et al focuses on derepression of nicotinamide inhibition of sirtuins.59 Nicotinamide inhibition of sirtuins is caused by a chemical process, called base exchange, that occurs at the active site of sirtuins. This base exchange mechanism competes for an enzyme-bound intermediate called the peptidyl-imidate, which is formed from the acetylated substrate and NAD+. The imidate intermediate links the base exchange and the deacetylation reaction pathways.38,68 We found that nicotinamide exchange and deacetylation reaction mechanisms compete for this intermediate, leading to nicotinamide inhibition of deacetylation. We hypothesized that a small molecule that could bind to the nicotinamide binding pocket within the active site would cause antagonism of nicotinamide inhibition of deacetylase activity.59 Accordingly, a small-molecule isostere of nicotinamide called isonicotinamide (pyridine-4-carboxamide) that binds competitively with nicotinamide to inhibit base exchange was identified. This competitive effect does not inhibit deacetylation and causes antagonism of nicotinamide inhibition of Sir2p deacetylation catalysis. Consequently, isonicotinamide can reduce nicotinamide inhibition to increase the deacetylation reaction rate.59"

This is very very interesting. Resveratrol and quercetin can obviously overcome niacinamide inhibition of sirtuins, and apparently this may occur by increasing the effectiveness of sirtuin binding (and thus catalysis) of its substrate, speeding up the reaction so that niacinamide does not have time to inhibit sirtuins. What this means is that resveratrol and quercetin win out against niacinamide when competing - they will stop niacinamide from inhibiting sirtuins whatever the level of niacinamide present. Therefore, if one took niacinamide and resveratrol/quercetin at the same time (especially resveratrol), the inhibitory effects of niacinamide could be completely abolished and NAD levels still boosted :D

Another interesting thing we find is that NAD levels are already way above the level needed to activate sirtuins. That is, niacinamide wins out against NAD to inhibit sirtuins. This is obvious from the mechanism by which niacinamide does the inhibition: competing with the intermediate from the start of the reaction to hault deactylation. Consequently, even at very high NAD levels, niacinamide will win out, as I had guessed, and stop NAD alone from activating sirtuin activity. Hence why resveratrol and quercetin are so amazing.

One last interesting point is this:

"Exposure to a genotoxin (methyl methane sulfonate [MMS] 0.01%) causes rapid loss of up to 80% of cellular NAD+ in mouse embryonic stem cells within 4 hours after treatment (A.A. Sauve and T. Yang, unpublished data, July 2005). Surprisingly, nicotinamide concentrations in cells do not increase as a result of NAD+ degradation but rather decrease along with NAD+ (A.A. Sauve and T. Yang, unpublished data, July 2005). This decline suggests that nicotinamide is either degraded to 1-methylnicotinamide and its downstream metabolites or converted to an intermediary metabolite such as nicotinamide mononucleotide. We are currently attempting to address these possibilities experimentally."

Why this is so interesting is that it supports that hypothesis I meantioned where NAD and niacinamide levels are at some equilibrium ratio with eachother (since niacinamide is the degredation product of NAD). Therefore, even though one can use large doses of niacinamide to increase the levels of NAD (since it's an equilibrium, this must happen as long as the enzymes are there), the levels of niacinamide will also be above basal levels until break down pathways restore both NAD and niacinamide back to normal levels. So then, if this is so, taking niacinamide to boost NAD will allow sirtuins to remain inhibited.

A final note to make: caloric restriction (CR) activates the stress induced enzymes that convert niacinamide into other forms and NAD. These enzymes, when active, will break the equilibrium, greatly increasing NAD and greatly decreasing the levels of niacinamide so that sirtuins can finally be uninhibited. This is one of the reasons why CR does what it does. If we could find a supplement that could activate these stress enzymes such as PBEF, it could be just as potent as CR, and if paired with resveratrol/quercetin's method of activation of sirtuins, could allow incredible benefits.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Conclusions

It seems to me from all this that we have these set of conclusions:
1. NAD levels are naturally high enough (unless NAD is bound by so many proteins as to lower its free concentration extremely) to activate sirtuins. Also, sirtuin catalysis of NAD to deactylate targets makes niacinamide as a byproduct. Thus the reaction is self limiting outside of any exogenous systems and molecules to modulate these pathways.

2. Niacinamide levels are naturally high enough to inhibit sirtuins, and this inhibition is potent, overriding NAD activation seemingly almost completely (always some very low basal rates of sirtuin activity I would bet, but not sure on).

3. Resveratrol/quercetin override niacinamide inhibition of sirtuins by speeding up the catalytic reaction with NAD such that niacinamide does not have time to inhibit the reaction (this mechanism is not fully known and still controversial, but seems to be how it is done). This also answers the issue with 1. above - in that, NAD levels are already high enough to activate sirtuins once resveratrol is added to free sirtuins from niacinamide activity since no extra niacinamide/NA/NMN/NR/NAD has to be added to cause the massive upregulation of sirtuin activity as seen by resveratrol administration. So yes, NAD levels are high enough in the cell already to activate sirtuins, it appears, but niacinamide is just that dang potent, and already high enough to do its job in crippling sirtuin activity. This also leads to the idea that taking resveratrol/quercetin at the same time as niacinamide would negate niacinamide's inhibition of sirtuins, activate sirtuins, and boost NAD levels considerably all at the same time - giving a person the best of all worlds at once.

4. Isonicotinamide may have the ability to directly block niacinamide binding to sirtuins and thus prevent inhibition by niacinamide. This should make isonicotinamide a potent activator of sirtuins (though not as much so as resveratrol which not only activates but speeds up sirtuin activity). Where one can get isonicotinamide and if it has other affects in the body, and if it can even enter the body without being metabolized and so forth I have no idea. But at least the idea is out there.

5. Any system that can change the equilibrium distribution of NAD and niacinamide towards NAD will also stop the inhibition of sirtuins and activate them. We see this with CR causing upregulation of PBEF, which may well be how CR activates sirtuins. It certainly makes sense to me.

6. NA and NR are the best forms to take to boost NAD while avoiding sirtuin inhibition, if that is one's goal, though NA has side effects so NR is by far the best system. This will only last for so long before NAD is broken down and the niacinamide equilibrium is reestablished, which will deactivate sirtuins. But the same is for resveratrol clearance eventually resulting in enhanced sirtuin activity ending. However, the question remains as to how much NR can enter the body orally, if its metabolized in the blood (only if niacinamide levels are low), and so forth. It seems the methods you listed at the end there, 100YearsToGo, may be the best ways to administer NR untill we know more.

I'm still trying to digest all the information myself, but we are now beginning to see a clearer (to me anyways) and testable picture as to how CR and resveratrol may activate sirtuins, and how this all relates to niacinamide's action to inhibit sirtuins. We also can see that boosting NAD levels without dropping niacinamide levels or otherwise stopping niacinamide induced sirtuin inhibition (by speeding up the reaction, or blocking niacinamide binding via another molecule) will most likely not activate sirtuins, as the mode of niacinamide inhibition wins out, and equilibrium with niacinamide in the abscense of stress enzyme mediated scavenging pathways (PBEF) will cause niacinamide levels to rise according to some ratio determined by the NAD/niacinamide equilibrium constant (it's the same way as how niacinamide intake and increase leads to NAD increase).

Yeah.. so.. I'm going to go mull on this a lot more. Hopefully my information, findings, and ideas are helpful and right. The picture is now very interesting and clearer, but still theory and hypotheses. New discoveries could always change this picture radically, but so far this makes sense of all available evidence that I know of.

Edited by geddarkstorm, 14 December 2008 - 01:10 AM.

• like x 4

#52 NDM

• 343 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 02:24 AM

So, since a number of people here have claimed that Now's NAD+ boosts their focus and concentration and reduces their anxiety, I would presume that it works...contrary to what other folks have said.

And then, reading what you said and trying to get practical, how about imitating the ALCAR - R-ALA tactic and taking one tablet of NAD+ at 8 am followed by one tablet of resveratrol or quercetin at, say, 8:30 or 9 am? Wouldn't that be a tactic likely to deliver?

#53 geddarkstorm

• 191 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 03:50 AM

So, since a number of people here have claimed that Now's NAD+ boosts their focus and concentration and reduces their anxiety, I would presume that it works...contrary to what other folks have said.

And then, reading what you said and trying to get practical, how about imitating the ALCAR - R-ALA tactic and taking one tablet of NAD+ at 8 am followed by one tablet of resveratrol or quercetin at, say, 8:30 or 9 am? Wouldn't that be a tactic likely to deliver?

Worst case scenario, the Now's NAD+ is turned into niacinamide, though it'll be taken up slower than raw niacinamide, which I believe may be an advantage. Either way explains the boost just fine, I think.

That would certainly be a good system. I'd actually say try taking all three together at the same time. They will all be absorbed by the body at about the same rate. Resveratrol/quercetin apparently will activate sirtuins irregardless of the boost in niacinamide that extra NAD will bring (and counter any increased sirtuin inhibition that would happen otherwise), and quercetin will greatly boost the effectiveness of resveratrol, so it seems. So it makes quite a nice triple combo. You can always experiment with times and dosage to see what works best for you - and it'd be interesting to hear what you figure out.

#54 Declmem

• 315 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 05:48 AM

I assume you guys are talking about this product, right? http://www.iherb.com...c...id=711&at=0

Or is there a different version I should try?

#55 NDM

• 343 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 08:17 AM

@Declmem: yes, that's it

@geddarkstorm: i think many people in the resveratrol forum have debated the issue of whether quercetin, contrary to initial expectations,
actually undermines the absorbtion/metabolism of resveratrol. Initially the AOR resveratrol was popular on this site (and it includes some quercetin) and now people have moved on to taking pure resveratrol alone...
There is also a financial issue: if resv is at odds with quercetin, and if both are equally good when taken alone, then it is more advantageous to go for the NAD & Quercetin combo.
The questions are:
1. What actual evidence do we have that resv is any better than quercetin (for the task at hand)?
2. As of 14 Dec 2008, are we really justified to claim that quercetin messes up with resv?

My hunches are:

to # 1: slim to non-existent
to # 2: no, not really justified

I hope better informed folks will contribute (I am new to the resv thing - waiting for my order to arrive)

#56 100YearsToGo

• 204 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 03:42 PM

@Declmem: yes, that's it

@geddarkstorm: i think many people in the resveratrol forum have debated the issue of whether quercetin, contrary to initial expectations,
actually undermines the absorbtion/metabolism of resveratrol. Initially the AOR resveratrol was popular on this site (and it includes some quercetin) and now people have moved on to taking pure resveratrol alone...
There is also a financial issue: if resv is at odds with quercetin, and if both are equally good when taken alone, then it is more advantageous to go for the NAD & Quercetin combo.
The questions are:
1. What actual evidence do we have that resv is any better than quercetin (for the task at hand)?
2. As of 14 Dec 2008, are we really justified to claim that quercetin messes up with resv?

My hunches are:

to # 1: slim to non-existent
to # 2: no, not really justified

I hope better informed folks will contribute (I am new to the resv thing - waiting for my order to arrive)

I'm not sure about quercetin. Although it works in vitro to activate Sirt1, these dutch guys don't seem to believe in it as a Sirt1 activator in vivo:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....Pubmed_RVDocSum

Its likely that this has been discussed in the resv. forum. What was the conclusion?

Edit: I found the complete study: http://www.biotivia....s/quercetin.pdf

Biotivia certainly believes Quercetin inhibits Sirt1 and other sirtuins in vivo.

I Just started to read. This paper is fantastic. And I'm not saying it because I'm dutch :|? Will report later if necessary. On the isolated Sirt protein...resv. is more potent (to answer the question, if resv was as potent as quercetin).

"Howitz et al. showed that the deacetylation activity of SIRT1 could be enhanced by the following polyphenols: resveratrol (up to 13-fold), butein (8.5-fold), picaetannol (7.9-fold), isoliquiritigenin (7.6-fold), fisetin (6.6-fold) and quercetin (4.6-fold)."

other snippets:

"Regulation of these effects by resveratrol was abolished in the analogous SIRT1 knockdown model. Although other polyphenols (quercetin and piceatannol) were shown to have a marked effect on SIRT1 activity, they did not have any effect on lifespan in yeast. Only resveratrol and fisetin were shown to have a physiological effect that was mediated by sir2 (Howitz et al., 2003; Wood et al., 2004)."

"We show that intracellular activity of SIRT1 in HT29 cells is only stimulated by resveratrol and not by quercetin."

Edited by 100YearsToGo, 14 December 2008 - 04:41 PM.

#57 geddarkstorm

• 191 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 06:57 PM

I'm not sure about quercetin. Although it works in vitro to activate Sirt1, these dutch guys don't seem to believe in it as a Sirt1 activator in vivo:

Its likely that this has been discussed in the resv. forum. What was the conclusion?

Biotivia certainly believes Quercetin inhibits Sirt1 and other sirtuins in vivo.

I Just started to read. This paper is fantastic. And I'm not saying it because I'm dutch :|? Will report later if necessary. On the isolated Sirt protein...resv. is more potent (to answer the question, if resv was as potent as quercetin).

"Howitz et al. showed that the deacetylation activity of SIRT1 could be enhanced by the following polyphenols: resveratrol (up to 13-fold), butein (8.5-fold), picaetannol (7.9-fold), isoliquiritigenin (7.6-fold), fisetin (6.6-fold) and quercetin (4.6-fold)."

other snippets:

"Regulation of these effects by resveratrol was abolished in the analogous SIRT1 knockdown model. Although other polyphenols (quercetin and piceatannol) were shown to have a marked effect on SIRT1 activity, they did not have any effect on lifespan in yeast. Only resveratrol and fisetin were shown to have a physiological effect that was mediated by sir2 (Howitz et al., 2003; Wood et al., 2004)."

"We show that intracellular activity of SIRT1 in HT29 cells is only stimulated by resveratrol and not by quercetin."

There was a study referenced somewhere in the resveratrol section about quercetin increasing the half-life of resveratrol in the system from 14 minutes to 3 hours, which is a massive boost to resveratrol effectiveness if true; though I haven't seen the study myself.

I'm glad you got that study, it's nice to finally see it, and it has some problems indeed. There are a lot of papers, like that other one in my above post, that reference quercetin as a sirtuin activator looking to other papers (which I can't get from home), but I was never convinced that quercetin activated sirtuins in vivo, yet it seems very likely it does not inhibit sirtuins even with that quercetin metabolite. Their recombinant Sirt1 in that paper is fishy at best, especially since it has been shown that recombinant Sirt1s do not react like in vivo ones, due to the Fluor de Lys tag on it, which changes and affects substrate binding (a BIG no no for actually deriving meaningful data from an experiment). For instance, resveratrol binds directly to recombinant Sirt1, but does not bind directly to unaltered Sirt1, or at least not in the same detectable manner.

Nevertheless, that study does show that quercetin for in vitro cells, which is a far better measure than the simple recombinant protein all by itself in a test tube, does not inhibit or activate sirtuins. Personally, I take quercetin for its other properties and also to enhance the activity of resveratrol. For instance, quercetin and resveratrol are in red wine, and it was the properties of red wine drinking that narrowed the search down to resveratrol and sirtuins for the beneficial effects behind the French Paradox - but the levels of resveratrol in red wine are incredibly low, so without quercetin to boost its effectiveness, it seems to me, that level of resveratrol would never do anything. This also proves at worst that quercetin does not interfere with resveratrol since both are in red wine.

So, personally my opinion is that quercetin seems the perfect synegizer for resveratrol, protecting it from degradation, while not interfering with resveratrol's properties; as well as having plenty of awesome properties itself.

EDIT: NDM: 1. Resveratrol has always been the obvious activator of sirtuins, and far better at it than quercetin if it does in vivo.
2. Indeed, there is no evidence what so ever, and only evidence (red wine) that points to quercetin not interfering with resveratrol but boosting its effectiveness. However, this is just my opinion based on the evidence since there have been no direct studies of resveratrol and quercetn in the same system at the same time that looked at sirtuin activity from what I know (plenty of studies looking at them together for other purposes, such as adipocyte apoptosis and destroying breast cancer, where the two do a lot better in combination than alone).

Edited by geddarkstorm, 14 December 2008 - 07:27 PM.

#58 100YearsToGo

• 204 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 07:30 PM

other snippets:

There was a study referenced somewhere in the resveratrol section about quercetin increasing the half-life of resveratrol in the system from 14 minutes to 3 hours, which is a massive boost to resveratrol effectiveness if true.

I'm glad you got that study, it's nice to finally see it, and it has some problems indeed. There are a lot of papers, like that other one in my above post, that reference quercetin as a sirtuin activator looking to other papers (which I can't get from home), but I was never convinced that quercetin activated sirtuins in vivo, yet it seems very likely it does not inhibit sirtuins even with that quercetin metabolite. Their recombinant Sirt1 in that paper is fishy at best, especially since it has been shown that recombinant Sirt1s do not react like in vivo ones, due to the Fluor de Lys tag on it, which changes and affects substrate binding (a BIG no no for actually deriving meaningful data from an experiment). For instance, resveratrol binds directly to recombinant Sirt1, but does not bind directly to unaltered Sirt1, or at least not in the same detectable manner.

Nevertheless, that study does show that quercetin for in vitro cells, which is a far better measure than the simple recombinant protein all by itself in a test tube, does not inhibit or activate sirtuins. Personally, I take quercetin for its other properties and also to enhance the activity of resveratrol. For instance, quercetin and resveratrol are in red wine, and it was the properties of red wine drinking that narrowed the search down to resveratrol and sirtuins for the beneficial effects behind the French Paradox - but the levels of resveratrol in red wine are incredibly low, so without quercetin to boost its effectiveness, it seems to me, that level of resveratrol would never do anything. This also proves at worst that quercetin does not interfere with resveratrol since both are in red wine.

So, personally my opinion is that quercetin seems the perfect synegizer for resveratrol, protecting it from degradation, while not interfering with resveratrol's properties.

Well, not trying to put a bummer on everything but:

" Resveratrol was able to stimulate the activity of SIRT1 in HT29 cells by 1.65-fold. This relatively low stimulation of intracellular SIRT1 activity as compared to the effects of resveratrol on the recombinant protein, points to an effectivemetabolism or low uptake of resveratrol in HT29 cells"

1.65 fold. Is this sufficient to work agains niacinamide? Remember these are colon cells that in vivo would be in direct contact with resv. In other cells the activation could be much lower, as less resv would reach them.

Increasing NAMPT/PBEF enzyme may be a better approach as it appears to be the rate limiting factor for NAM NAD conversion.

http://www.jbc.org/c...ct/279/49/50754

"Increased dosage of Nampt, but not Nmnat, increased the total cellular NAD level and enhanced the transcriptional regulatory activity of the catalytic domain of Sir2Posted Image recruited onto a reporter gene in mouse fibroblasts."

That approach would more closely mimmic calorie restriction. It is probaly sacrilege to say it around here but I'm not really convinced on resveratrol in vivo.

#59 geddarkstorm

• 191 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 07:41 PM

" Resveratrol was able to stimulate the activity of SIRT1 in HT29 cells by 1.65-fold. This relatively low stimulation of intracellular SIRT1 activity as compared to the effects of resveratrol on the recombinant protein, points to an effectivemetabolism or low uptake of resveratrol in HT29 cells"

1.65 fold. Is this sufficient to work agains niacinamide? Remember these are colon cells that in vivo would be in direct contact with resv. In other cells the activation could be much lower, as less resv would reach them.

Increasing NAMPT/PBEF enzyme may be a better approach as it appears to be the rate limiting factor for NAM NAD conversion.

"Increased dosage of Nampt, but not Nmnat, increased the total cellular NAD level and enhanced the transcriptional regulatory activity of the catalytic domain of Sir2Posted Image recruited onto a reporter gene in mouse fibroblasts."

That approach would more closely mimmic calorie restriction. It is probaly sacrilege to say it around here but I'm not really convinced on resveratrol in vivo.

Don't let that one study fool you. Both the cell line it chose, and its in vitro conditions are suspect. Not to mention both quercetin and resveratrol have a different effect on cancer cells (kills them) verses healthy cells (protects them from necrosis and apoptosis; only once the death signal in a cell is activated does the game change, such as is the case with cancer). The effects of resveratrol in vivo are well established by numerous studies. Here's a post of mine that does a break down of several of those studies in a short synopsis.

So no, you have every right to be convinced about resveratrol's effects in vivo as they are very well documented and supported over numerous studies (not to mention proven to be the chemical in red wine that gives such a benefit to drinkers, so it works great in vivo in humans too, especially paired with quercetin and potentially other unknowns). This also proves that resveratrol beats out niacinamide to activate sirtuins, freeing them from niacinamide inhibition under physiological, in vivo, conditions.

However, if we could also get a PBEF stimulator going, then it paired with resveratrol would be much more effective and could gives us some amazingly great benefits.

Edited by geddarkstorm, 14 December 2008 - 08:03 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#60 100YearsToGo

• 204 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 08:56 PM

Don't let that one study fool you. Both the cell line it chose, and its in vitro conditions are suspect. Not to mention both quercetin and resveratrol have a different effect on cancer cells (kills them) verses healthy cells (protects them from necrosis and apoptosis; only once the death signal in a cell is activated does the game change, such as is the case with cancer). The effects of resveratrol in vivo are well established by numerous studies. Here's a post of mine that does a break down of several of those studies in a short synopsis.

So no, you have every right to be convinced about resveratrol's effects in vivo as they are very well documented and supported over numerous studies (not to mention proven to be the chemical in red wine that gives such a benefit to drinkers, so it works great in vivo in humans too, especially paired with quercetin and potentially other unknowns). This also proves that resveratrol beats out niacinamide to activate sirtuins, freeing them from niacinamide inhibition under physiological, in vivo, conditions.

However, if we could also get a PBEF stimulator going, then it paired with resveratrol would be much more effective and could gives us some amazingly great benefits.

I was of course only talking about its ability to activate sirt1. The studies you pointed to, show fysiological benefits. And I know there are numerous studies that show benefits in other areas as well. But should we somehow automatically attribute it to to sirt1 activity? Is there any study besides the dutch one that show intracellular activation of sirt1 in mammals? If so please let me know.

Edited by 100YearsToGo, 14 December 2008 - 09:22 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users