Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Volunteers Wiki

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

#1 eldar

• 178 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 04:55 PM

There is much an organization the size of Imminst could do to help defeat aging. But for something to actually get done we need to identify the people who are willing to get involved. For that purpose I have created a new wiki page for listing potential volunteers. If you are interested in taking part in executing or planning projects, go sign your username to the new volunteers list in Imminst wiki here: http://www.imminst.o....php/Volunteers. Optionally you can also add any special skills or interests you have.

Adding yourself to the list does not in any way bind you to anything. All this list does is identify possible volunteers for projects so we can more efficiently contact you. More info on possible projects will follow later.

(Post also on public forum at: http://www.imminst.o...showtopic=25941 )

Edit: or tell us here and we'll add it for you.

Edited by brokenportal, 20 May 2010 - 10:17 PM.

#2 lightowl

• Guest, F@H
  • 767 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 04:58 PM

This is a great initiative. This topic should be sticky IMO.

Also, is there a reason to have the Projects forum in a restricted area? Wouldn't it be much better if everyone could see it.

#3 eldar

• Topic Starter
  • 178 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 05:03 PM

There is much an organization the size of Imminst could do to help defeat aging. But for something to actually get done we need to identify the people who are willing to get involved. For that purpose I have created a new wiki page for listing potential volunteers. If you are interested in taking part in executing or planning projects, go sign your username to the new volunteers list in Imminst wiki here: http://www.imminst.o....php/Volunteers. Optionally you can also add any special skills or interests you have.

Adding yourself to the list does not in any way bind you to anything. All this list does is identify possible volunteers for projects so we can more efficiently contact you. More info on possible projects will follow later.
(edited by Matthias: threads 25941 & 25940 merged)

Edited by Matthias, 04 December 2008 - 12:32 PM.

#4 eldar

• Topic Starter
  • 178 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 05:06 PM

Also, is there a reason to have the Projects forum in a restricted area? Wouldn't it be much better if everyone could see it.

I posted it under "Immortality Institute" too so registered members can see it. I think this is needed since there might be interest among the registered members too.
http://www.imminst.o...showtopic=25941

Edited by ceth, 25 November 2008 - 11:29 AM.

#5 lightowl

• Guest, F@H
  • 767 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 01:44 AM

I think this is needed since there might be interest among the registered members too.

My point was that it would make little sense for people to sign up for volunteering if they had no way of following discussions about projects they might participate in. Also, if everyone could see the projects that is being worked on, it might compel some people to join as volunteers rather than to sign up and hope to be invited for something interesting.

#6 eldar

• Topic Starter
  • 178 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:27 AM

I think this is needed since there might be interest among the registered members too.

My point was that it would make little sense for people to sign up for volunteering if they had no way of following discussions about projects they might participate in. Also, if everyone could see the projects that is being worked on, it might compel some people to join as volunteers rather than to sign up and hope to be invited for something interesting.

I know what you meant but there might also be something in the Projects forum that you do not want the whole world to see. Can't think of what it could be right now, but it is possible. :)
But yes, this needs to be dealt with and I think it is here where the projects list brokenportal has been pushing forward will step in. We have to do some thinking about how to best implement and integrate things.

For now, even if we only identify potential volunteers from members, that will be beneficial. It will give us some idea what portion of the member base is interested in participating.

Edited by ceth, 25 November 2008 - 11:36 AM.

#7 lightowl

• Guest, F@H
  • 767 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 12:02 PM

but there might also be something in the Projects forum that you do not want the whole world to see

I cant think of anything that would be secret enough to only show members. But that doesn't mean there couldn't be something like that. In any case, I think its quite silly to have potential secrecy limit who can participate in projects. Perhaps we could make two(2) Project forums? One open and one closed to members? With the new Active Topics page it would be simple to merge them into the Active List.

I see this topic is now Pinned. Excellent. :)

Edited by lightowl, 25 November 2008 - 12:04 PM.

#8 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,042 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 06:37 PM

I am not sure how this evolved into the members area. It might have been an oversight during the forum upgrade last year, or a relic of the days when it was expected that directors and members do everything. It certainly makes sense to me to put this out into the general forum and I will move it there.

Thanks for using the wiki ceth. Richard has fixed it and it appears to be operational and it is a good place to organize things. At Convergence08 members said Imminst should find a way to better present all the valuable information contained within the forums and I think the wiki and the Drupal pages are a good place to start. All members have editing access in the wiki. Please continue to use it.

#9 lightowl

• Guest, F@H
  • 767 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 03:45 AM

Excellent. Perhaps you should remove the * from the name. It usually indicates a restricted forum.

#10 JediMasterLucia

• 708 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 03:40 PM

If you are a registered member and you want to add your name on the volunteers list, you can post your name in this topic.
We'll add your name to the list :)

Edited by JediMasterLucia, 30 November 2008 - 03:42 PM.

#11 lightowl

• Guest, F@H
  • 767 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 11:22 AM

It certainly makes sense to me to put this out into the general forum and I will move it there.

It looks like the Projects forum still retain the restrictive permissions.
http://www.imminst.o...&...st&p=280821

#12 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,042 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 05:35 PM

Projects should be open now.

#13 Illuminatusdarksoul

• 57 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 05:07 PM

illuminatus

Skills: Literature research on freewill, thermodynamics, determinism, memetics, reductionism, information systems, dissipative structures, radical life extension, bioethics of applied geronotological research. Laboratory research concerning CR, mitochondria, hTERT, telomeres, p16, life extension in mice. So useful as advisor, mentor, board member, campaigner or recruiter.

#14 JediMasterLucia

• 708 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 11:27 PM

It's nice to see the list is growing :)
Hopefully more people want to help :)

#15 JediMasterLucia

• 708 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 11:45 PM

illuminatus, your name is added to the list :)

#16 Nevyl

• 30 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 02:50 AM

You could add me to the list :) .

Nevyl - Second bachelor business studies

#17 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 02:53 AM

We can add it for you, but try to see if you can add it, the wiki should be open to edit for anyone. Let anybody here or me know if you have any problems.

#18 Nevyl

• 30 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 03:02 AM

We can add it for you, but try to see if you can add it, the wiki should be open to edit for anyone. Let anybody here or me know if you have any problems.

I don't seem to be able to edit it myself when logged in on my username, "This page has been locked to prevent editing".

#19 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 03:13 AM

You could add me to the list ;) .

Nevyl - Second bachelor business studies

Don't worry I placed you in :)

#20 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 03:14 AM

Come on people, lets get some more volunteers! We have over 8,000 members and only 11 volunteers listed so far.

#21 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 08:22 PM

Come on people, lets get some more volunteers! We have over 8,000 members and only 11 volunteers listed so far.

Many of us have been confronting this challenge and trying to chip away at it for a while now. What me and the people working with the projects list are doing is getting a questionaire of sorts with some persuasive peices included, ready to collect some information, like if people are mostly for the science, the exposure, the agi or the philanthropic way of helping progress the cause, how much time they are willing to put in, we will probably work to entice them with a "300" club we are building, that will probably require something like a pledge of a miniumum of 10 hours per week to join or something like that, yet to be worked out. We are then going to send that questionaire out to every life extensionist and then some in the world, and collect the info, and then do follow ups to people who havent responded, said they dont know yet, and stuff like that.

Its still in the planning stage though, so if you or anybody want to get in on that then let us know here or pm me.

#22 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:26 PM

Many of us have been confronting this challenge and trying to chip away at it for a while now. What me and the people working with the projects list are doing is getting a questionaire of sorts with some persuasive peices included, ready to collect some information, like if people are mostly for the science, the exposure, the agi or the philanthropic way of helping progress the cause, how much time they are willing to put in, we will probably work to entice them with a "300" club we are building, that will probably require something like a pledge of a miniumum of 10 hours per week to join or something like that, yet to be worked out. We are then going to send that questionaire out to every life extensionist and then some in the world, and collect the info, and then do follow ups to people who havent responded, said they dont know yet, and stuff like that.

Its still in the planning stage though, so if you or anybody want to get in on that then let us know here or pm me.

A 300 club sounds great! Count me in ;) ... (I'll try to take the pledge :) )

#23 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 12:29 AM

A 300 club sounds great! Count me in ;) ... (I'll try to take the pledge :) )

You mean count you in on the 300 or count you in on the development of the 300? Because we still need to fully develop it. We've been working to get a team together to focus in on the development of all these things too. If you and anybody else wants to get in on that then let us know here. We'll schedule a meeting for it and start an official topic. Since we need these to move along we will be looking for a team of at least 5 people, we'll list them in an official team topic so we can update the team as it changes and or people join it. We'll then set some sort of minimum participation for the team. Probably to comment on the topics that the team is built for a minimum of three days per week and attend the weekly meetings with an exception of like, 3 meetings.

Ok Ill develop the rough draft of what this teams will focus on right now. (I did just now, below) We are taking sign ups for a team to focus in on the following 3 bold titled lists, Ill be putting it into the wiki in its second rough draft version when I can, unless somebody wants to try their hand at it and outline it on the first line -1., erase what is there, sometimes the beginings of outlines are just thrown out like the one thats there, but thats good, and moving to the wiki is good, because rough drafts are good.

transfering the google doc projects list, "LEEEP" to the imminst wiki

-we need to mark off the good projects, clean some up, merge some, and purge some, Its all marked off in the list already, but it needs to be discussed and tweaked. I also have a two column page with just the titles that can be examined.
-we need to make sure that every project has the most fitting, key word search friendly name for it.
-we need to go through the wiki and figure out what the best place for the index of the projects to go, and clean up and move the current content of the wiki around a little bit with the approval of the people that have added the stuff that is currently in there.
-we need to take that final LEEEP list and add it as an index in the imminst wiki
-we then have to create a page in the imminst wiki for each project with its official name
-we then transfer each project to the wiki, this is mostly simple, the hardest part will be bulleting them in. the wiki bulleting is like 3/8th's of an inch per bullet and you have to code it, not the greatest but it should be good enough.

create a questionaire with some key things like, to find out who is interested in what aspect of the cause, has what amount of time, depending on what they say we will direct them to MFURI, MF, MPrize, a list of fund raiser for all of the Longevity Communities Network sites, (the ones listed at longecity.com) singinst, novamente, an agi undergrad research initiative that is being worked out, or LEEEP, hopefully LEEEP. If they choose LEEEP then we will have a listing for them to mark off all the projects they may be interested in. The questionaire will try to persuade them to give as much time as possible. It will indicate that everybody that signs up for under x amount of hours per week will be in the "Imminst army" or "cohelix army", We will indicate that everybody who signs up for over x amount of hours per week will be in the "Imminst 300" or "cohelix 300".

-we will have to discuss what that x amount could/should be.
-we will have to decide what name to do this under, probably imminst for now and the name of the longevity communities network page when/if we ever decide on the perfect one.
-we will have to find the best internet medium to do this questionaire in, we'll need to find some sort of program, hopefully free, that can tally and keep track of this information and give check box options and stuff like that. Such as it should indicate who pledged more than x amount of hours so we can see who is in the 300. We can then put that info somewhere else ourselves, like an imminst drupal page or something like that. We will also need it to compile their information, name, email, optional phone number, and optional address, we can then make up a small catalogue of imminst and other life extension merchandise, hopefully a pendant series like the cryonics one, and send it them, preferably in a quarterly zine we develop, with an option to order a "draft card" that we will send them indicating that they are in the army or the 300 with a directors signature and their signature on it. We would probably send that free with an order, but I digress. A lot of these projects overlap.
-we will need to write up a persuasive peice, and add some stirring elements, like one of jedimasterlucias drawings of a person fighting the reaper as the background and a pop up video with persuasive intro, then hopefully Aubreys "best of" media appearances 5 minute compilation and then probably something like the ending scene of the 300 movie where the one eyed general says he often wondered what the 300 could really do, as he stands in front of an army of thousands that the 300 inspired to fight. (funny, they fought for our freedom to do this and inspire us to fight too)

then we will be splitting up to send this questionaire out to every life extensionist and everybody resembling a life extensionist we can find.

-We will try to send as many of them as we can out with a person to person approach rather than mass pmings and mass emails.
-We will devise a plan to compile the information we receive so we can do follow ups, for example we will go back and talk to people if they say they dont know now, but will know in 6 months, or if they say they have to think about it, or if we dont get a response, etc..

#24 neonnexus

• 51 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 11:40 AM

I have added my name to the list too!

We now have 21 volunteers!

#25 technetium

• 43 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:02 PM

I would like to participate in the volunteers wiki

#26 JediMasterLucia

• 708 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 01:04 PM

technetium, I have added your name to the volunteers list

#27 technetium

• 43 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:13 PM

I would like to participate in the volunteers wiki

Thankyou

#28 stayin_alive

• 84 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 01:46 PM

Just saw this, and I would be pleased to volunteer.

#29 JediMasterLucia

• 708 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 07:00 PM

stayin_alive, I've added your name to the list

#30 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 02:56 AM

Come one, come all, the volunteer opportunities are opening up left and right. They are listed all over around imminst and becoming more and more coordinated. You have a chance of a life time to be a part of the grass roots movement to the next great Era in the human epoch, the Transhumanism Era.

We cant get there if we are dead though, so first things first, indefinite healthy life extension. Sign up here and we will continue fitting you all in to spots that are right for you that you want to do. We promise you that the work will be fulfilling, many times fun and most of all, so important that we are dying to have you help.

On behalf of the world, thank you to every body that has signed up.

Attached Thumbnails

• volunteersbuiltit.jpg
  • Volunteers.jpg
  • volunteeropportune.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users