• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * - - 23 votes

I have yet to see somebody who looks as young as they claim...

skin hollywood

• Please log in to reply
2475 replies to this topic

#1 marqueemoon

• 78 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 08:38 PM

Whenever somebody swears they look twenty or even fifteen years younger I get very skeptical. I have seen people who look almost ten years younger but that's exceedingly rare. In the popular media Jared Leto is a good example. I have seen the pictures of a few people who post on here and while they usually look a few years younger than their real age, it's not as much as they'd like to believe. Maybe it's just that I'm really good at telling age.

Edited by marqueemoon, 26 November 2008 - 08:39 PM.

• like x 1

#2 Fredrik

• 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 November 2008 - 09:52 PM

Whenever somebody swears they look twenty or even fifteen years younger I get very skeptical. I have seen people who look almost ten years younger but that's exceedingly rare. In the popular media Jared Leto is a good example. I have seen the pictures of a few people who post on here and while they usually look a few years younger than their real age, it's not as much as they'd like to believe. Maybe it's just that I'm really good at telling age.

I agree. Most people look their age (me included). But I absolutely think that people can look better or worse for their age, depending on genes and lifestyle. Some things take their toll on your health and looks: obesity, smoking, excessive drinking or other drug use, nutrient deficiency and sun bathing/artificial tanning for example.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 11:25 PM

Or as skinny as they claim online
  • like x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

#4 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 November 2008 - 07:34 AM

2-3 years and I'll look 10 years younger than my age :~

But yea it must be quite rare, I hardly ever come across people that are extremely young for their age. I came across 1 person back in 2002 and she was 40 but I initially thought she was around 20. She seem to make it out as if it were a bad thing though... I don't know why she did that.

Surprised not many immortalists are not looking 5-10 years younger than their age now? Those supplements working ?? :~
  • Good Point x 1

#5 sentinel

• Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 09:55 AM

A major factor is that a lot of these people "act" a lot younger. When people meet them in the flesh the overall package comes across as younger: part face, part clothes, posture etc and vitality.

However, try and capture all that in a photo and all you get is the frozen facial image, complete with the static pointers that indicate aging.
The good (or bad) news is that we meet most people in "real life" so the other aspects are factored in.
  • like x 2
  • Good Point x 1
  • Agree x 1

#6 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 11:11 AM

A major factor is that a lot of these people "act" a lot younger. When people meet them in the flesh the overall package comes across as younger: part face, part clothes, posture etc and vitality.

However, try and capture all that in a photo and all you get is the frozen facial image, complete with the static pointers that indicate aging.
The good (or bad) news is that we meet most people in "real life" so the other aspects are factored in.

That's a really good point. I can't believe I didn't think of this earlier.

#7 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 01:37 PM

The interesting thing is that while narcissistic people tend to look younger than their age they also find any sign of aging particularly damaging to them and cause them more stress and worry and overall narcissistic injury. That is narcissistic people find it more difficult to cope with aging because they are so conscious and fixated by themselves that they do not care as much about the lives and well being of those around them.

Regardless on the progress made towards intervention in the aging process those that are unable to get their age related pathologies reversed for whatever reason be it the technologies are not yet mature (in some cases even still theoretical) available, government approved/tested and even simply affordable shouldn't live through unnecessary misery.

Given the chance I would like to stay (almost forever) a healthy young person but should I not get this option may I have the strength to grow into a delightfully happy old person.
  • like x 2
  • Agree x 1

#8 marqueemoon

• Topic Starter
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 01:57 PM

But yea it must be quite rare, I hardly ever come across people that are extremely young for their age. I came across 1 person back in 2002 and she was 40 but I initially thought she was around 20. She seem to make it out as if it were a bad thing though... I don't know why she did that.

Surprised not many immortalists are not looking 5-10 years younger than their age now? Those supplements working ?? :~

You do look quite young for your age. I think you look about 19 or 20 based on your pics and you're 24, right? Still I don't see why you'd want to look any younger than that.

#9 marqueemoon

• Topic Starter
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 01:59 PM

Do you have any pictures of her?

#10 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 November 2008 - 02:21 PM

You do look quite young for your age. I think you look about 19 or 20 based on your pics and you're 24, right? .

I don't think I've ever had someone tell me I look 20 before lol. Everyone I meet in 'real life' think I'm either still in high school or just finished (16-17 y.o).

Still I don't see why you'd want to look any younger than that.

You think it's bad to look too young? As for why I'd want to look younger than that is because the younger I look now, the younger I will look later on. I have a good starting point.

:~ why would I take a picture of someone who I met for a few hours... =/

Edited by Matt, 27 November 2008 - 02:26 PM.

#11 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 04:13 PM

You do look quite young for your age. I think you look about 19 or 20 based on your pics and you're 24, right? Still I don't see why you'd want to look any younger than that.

19 or 20? Are you kiddin? He looks more like 10-12 years old.

#12 Dmitri

• 841 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 04:52 PM

The thing is those who claim to look 10-20 years younger make those claims because other people tell them. The problem though is some people might be making these compliments simply to be nice especially if you ask others to guess your age; it's usually those who are older and think they look younger who ask others to guess their age, is it not? I have this issue as well, I'm 24 and when I look at myself in the mirror I'd say I look 20, but people sometimes tell me I look 17, which has me wondering what type of 17 year olds have they seen, I don't think I look any younger than 20 (IMO).

#13 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 05:24 PM

I've never seen someone seriosly IRL looking ten years younger. However some 100 year olds can of course act and look like 80-year olds but that's because it's hard to judge at advanced ages...

#14 marqueemoon

• Topic Starter
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 07:44 PM

You do look quite young for your age. I think you look about 19 or 20 based on your pics and you're 24, right? .

I don't think I've ever had someone tell me I look 20 before lol. Everyone I meet in 'real life' think I'm either still in high school or just finished (16-17 y.o).

Still I don't see why you'd want to look any younger than that.

You think it's bad to look too young? As for why I'd want to look younger than that is because the younger I look now, the younger I will look later on. I have a good starting point.

:~ why would I take a picture of someone who I met for a few hours... =/

I don't know what you look like in real life, but based on the pictures on your blog you look 19 or 20 to me. (You remind me a of a younger version of Beck :~) I'm usually spot on when it comes to age. I like to guess the ages of actresses and actors and rarely miss by even a year.

Personally I think men look better when they're over twenty, so I don't understand why you'd like to look like you're in high school. I guess I can see your point about starting at a good point, but still -- I think men look much better at 25 than they do at 17.

I thought you meant she was someone you saw pictures of online.

Edited by marqueemoon, 27 November 2008 - 07:48 PM.

• Agree x 1

#15 marqueemoon

• Topic Starter
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 07:46 PM

19 or 20? Are you kiddin? He looks more like 10-12 years old.

Really? I'd say more like 7 or 8.

#16 marqueemoon

• Topic Starter
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 08:03 PM

Two celebs who don't seem to age...

Jared Leto, 37, looks about 28:
http://www.imdb.com/...79808/nm0001467
http://www.imdb.com/...30432/nm0001467

Here he is at 33 looking about 24:
http://www.imdb.com/...11392/nm0001467

Stacey Dash at 42 looks 32:
http://www.imdb.com/...32256/nm0001107

At 41 looking 30:
http://www.imdb.com/...65952/nm0001107

This one is truly freaky
Alison Lohman at almost 30 could pass for 16-17:
http://www.imdb.com/...08928/nm0517844
http://www.imdb.com/...44832/nm0517844
http://www.imdb.com/...67616/nm0517844

sometimes even 15 depending on the photo...
  • like x 1

#17 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 08:45 PM

I don't know what you look like in real life, but based on the pictures on your blog you look 19 or 20 to me. (You remind me a of a younger version of Beck :~ ) I'm usually spot on when it comes to age. I like to guess the ages of actresses and actors and rarely miss by even a year.

Personally I think men look better when they're over twenty, so I don't understand why you'd like to look like you're in high school. I guess I can see your point about starting at a good point, but still -- I think men look much better at 25 than they do at 17.

I think it has got something to do with proving that CR works... he looks good enough now AFAIK, I would do the same probably if I practised CR.

Matt, sure the supplements are working, just not as well as CR.

Edited by kismet, 27 November 2008 - 08:46 PM.

#18 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 November 2008 - 08:48 PM

I don't know what you look like in real life, but based on the pictures on your blog you look 19 or 20 to me.

Maybe it depends where you're from... Because most of the 15-17 year olds where I live look around the same age as me, or older.

Edited by Matt, 27 November 2008 - 08:49 PM.

#19 marqueemoon

• Topic Starter
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 08:57 PM

I don't know what you look like in real life, but based on the pictures on your blog you look 19 or 20 to me.

Maybe it depends where you're from... Because most of the 15-17 year olds where I live look around the same age as me, or older.

I'm a college student in the US so I'm always around kids in the 18-22 bracket. You look like a sophomore or junior to me. Brits tend to look somewhat older I've noticed. My boyfriend is British by ethnicity (but raised in America) and at 24 he could pass for 30. He has wrinkles on his forehead and crows feet and he's beginning to lose his hair (still handsome overall, though). His parents too look way older than they are. His mother is 62 with completely white hair, very wrinkled face and dentures. His father is 55 but looks over sixty. Neither of them smoke or drink. Maybe it's the pale skin tends to age faster. Also Irish don't do so well for the same reason. I see a lot of young Irish women who already look haggard.

Edited by marqueemoon, 27 November 2008 - 09:03 PM.

#20 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 November 2008 - 09:01 PM

Wrinkles... you should see some of my old high school mates. Most of them have receding hairlines and deep forehead wrinkles and they're the same age as me!

Yes, so we can agree that it's all relative to what kind of sample you're looking at right?

Well I was just joking around :~, I think supplements do play a bit of a role in helping maintain youthful appearance.

#21 marqueemoon

• Topic Starter
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 09:07 PM

Wrinkles... you should see some of my old high school mates. Most of them have receding hairlines and deep forehead wrinkles and they're the same age as me!

Yes, so we can agree that it's all relative to what kind of sample you're looking at right?

Well I was just joking around :~, I think supplements do play a bit of a role in helping maintain youthful appearance.

Yeah, there are a bunch of male students here who are balding. It's pretty alarming. But I doubt going on CR would slow that down if it's in your genes.
Apparently British and German men are more affected by hair loss than other ethnicities:
http://news.bbc.co.u...lth/3600481.stm

As for wrinkles, animation definitely plays a role as well. My boyfriend for instance has a very animated face, while I have trained myself to never raise my eyebrows and keep smiling to a minimum.

Edited by marqueemoon, 27 November 2008 - 09:09 PM.

• Disagree x 1

#22 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 November 2008 - 09:36 PM

By the way when I said everyone I meet, I mostly talking about a sample size of probably about 30+ people over the last 2 years where I've worked... I meet a lot of new people because we have a high turn over in the job. And another 15-20 or so people at college last year who all thought I was 16 and in my first year of college. So I dunno, are all those wrong, and you're right in your estimate :~ ???

But I doubt going on CR would slow that down if it's in your genes.

I completely disagree with that. CR has been shown to slow down aging apperance in all animals tested, I don't see why humans would be any different?

Edited by Matt, 27 November 2008 - 09:38 PM.

#23 Dmitri

• 841 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 10:03 PM

Well I was just joking around :~ , I think supplements do play a bit of a role in helping maintain youthful appearance.

Yeah, there are a bunch of male students here who are balding. It's pretty alarming. But I doubt going on CR would slow that down if it's in your genes.
Apparently British and German men are more affected by hair loss than other ethnicities:

As for wrinkles, animation definitely plays a role as well. My boyfriend for instance has a very animated face, while I have trained myself to never raise my eyebrows and keep smiling to a minimum.

Are you sure most of those students are in the 18-22 age bracket? I attend UH which has a large portion (I believe in the 20%) of non-traditional students (those 24 and over) could be the same in your school? Though the majority of people I've seen all look around 18-22.

#24 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 10:03 PM

Balding is really not lifestyle-related....

#25 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 11:39 PM

I'm sorry but avoiding smiling sounds seriously screwed up. Have you not realised that smile is one of the most attractive traits a person can display? Do you have some kind of a master plan where you gradually re-introduce smiling into your life to compensate for the loss of attractiveness due to aging? I mean, you might end up looking both old and smileless...
  • like x 1

#26 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 12:08 AM

Use botox instead, then you can at least think happy thoughts and smile without the muscles destroying collagen....

How awful though to never smile to avoid wrinkles,,,

#27 marqueemoon

• Topic Starter
  • 78 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 01:02 AM

Well I was just joking around :~ , I think supplements do play a bit of a role in helping maintain youthful appearance.

Are you sure most of those students are in the 18-22 age bracket? I attend UH which has a large portion (I believe in the 20%) of non-traditional students (those 24 and over) could be the same in your school? Though the majority of people I've seen all look around 18-22.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the majority are between 18 and 22.

I'm sorry but avoiding smiling sounds seriously screwed up. Have you not realised that smile is one of the most attractive traits a person can display? Do you have some kind of a master plan where you gradually re-introduce smiling into your life to compensate for the loss of attractiveness due to aging? I mean, you might end up looking both old and smileless...

I do smile, just not all the time like some people.

#28 marqueemoon

• Topic Starter
  • 78 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 01:04 AM

By the way when I said everyone I meet, I mostly talking about a sample size of probably about 30+ people over the last 2 years where I've worked... I meet a lot of new people because we have a high turn over in the job. And another 15-20 or so people at college last year who all thought I was 16 and in my first year of college. So I dunno, are all those wrong, and you're right in your estimate :~ ???

But I doubt going on CR would slow that down if it's in your genes.

I completely disagree with that. CR has been shown to slow down aging apperance in all animals tested, I don't see why humans would be any different?

As I said, I'm just basing this on pictures and it's entirely possible you look younger in person.

#29 Moonbeam

• 174 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 01:04 AM

I wish I could make myself smile more and look more friendly, I think it would be a lot better for my appearance overall.

OK you guys are probably good at this, so would you do me? Guess my age, I mean. I'm a little shy to do this, so hopefully buried in this thread will be not too embarrassing. :s

These pics were taking a couple months ago (the first two by me, for another purpose), so I didn't try to make them look any certain way on purpose. The lighting for each is obvious. I don't really know how to touch things up with photoshop, which will probably also be obvious.

OK -- guess my age -- be honest (but nice)! (No spoilers on this forum? If somebody tells me how to do a spoiler, I'll come back and add my age in it. Otherwise I'll just come back later and tell, if anyone actually wants to know. I'd rather put the pics in spoilers too, now that I think about.)

Thanks!

Edit: Nevermind.

Edited by Moonbeam, 28 November 2008 - 01:47 PM.

#30 marqueemoon

• Topic Starter
  • 78 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 01:42 AM

[quote name='Moonbeam' post='280226' date='27-Nov 2008, 08:04 PM'[/quote]

Anywhere from 47 to 55. It really varies with the picture. You look a lot younger in the first.

Edited by marqueemoon, 28 November 2008 - 02:02 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: skin, hollywood

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users