• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * - - 23 votes

I have yet to see somebody who looks as young as they claim...

skin hollywood

• Please log in to reply
2475 replies to this topic

#61 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 03:34 AM

well longevity genes is what makes people to become supercentenarians. Age slower, maybe drive a car and ride a bicycle well over 100. Supercentenarians often look younger at various stages in their lifes than other people because they age slower. They are not frail and live in nursing home at only 80 which a lot of people do. Instead they delay their decrepit period until well after 100 when they start being frail and have trouble with senses and walking etc...

#62 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 04:17 AM

There are so many things that one can do to make themselves look younger, substantially younger, that have nothing to do with "longevity" genes. For example, color grey hair to a darker color, style your hair in a progressive fashion, use botox on the forehead and around the eyes, dress in younger clothes, use foundation to smooth out lines, and so on.

Personally, I wear nappies/diapers and suck on a dummy/passifier. This makes me look substantially younger than 37 years old.
  • like x 2
  • Cheerful x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#63 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 05:00 AM

There are so many things that one can do to make themselves look younger, substantially younger, that have nothing to do with "longevity" genes. For example, color grey hair to a darker color, style your hair in a progressive fashion, use botox on the forehead and around the eyes, dress in younger clothes, use foundation to smooth out lines, and so on.

Personally, I wear nappies/diapers and suck on a dummy/passifier. This makes me look substantially younger than 37 years old.

LMAO.....now that thare is funny.

#64 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 05:48 AM

If I stay out of the sun does that mean I can have some longevity genes too?

What the hell is a "longevity gene" anyway? That's like calling something a "good fat".

based on what I 've read in evolutionary biology, there seems to be a tendency for superior species towards increased neoteny,
a physical correlate of which is (physical) arrested development at the teenage stage. By this logic, people with youthful appearance constitute a phenotype that reflects an underlying genotype blessed with a higher than average percentage of those allele that have driven the evolutionary trend towards neoteny.

The mechanism across thousands of years would be:
neoteny genes ---> youthful looks ---> more sex ----> more offsprings ---> increased frequency of neoteny genes in the population

Maybe silly, maybe not...

Neoteny is very intesting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoteny

I wonder how one would tweak manipulate neoteny in an organism.

Also is the concept of someone having a babyface.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_face

People with babyfaces might also be associated with honesty. lol

Edited by caston, 10 December 2008 - 05:49 AM.

#65 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 02:49 PM

Posted Image

Let me revise my earlier estimate. Here she looks about 47.

Edited by andre, 10 December 2008 - 02:50 PM.

#66 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 December 2008 - 02:57 PM

its not edited or anything? Everyone has a bad picture of themselves. Why not check out a video on youtube of an interview or from a movie? Then see...

Edited by Matt, 10 December 2008 - 05:22 PM.

#67 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 December 2008 - 05:28 PM

I posted the wrong video earlier, thats the one I meant to post. I think videos are a far better representation of what someone looks like really, than a still photograph.

#68 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:09 PM

Come on Matt. You can't go around posting videos of people in movies and say that they look good or younger. These people have been filmed under perfect lighting and have professionally caked on make up applied to their faces.

#69 Hoon

• 24 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:54 PM

actually a lot of the scenes in that clip were filmed in broad daylight, and the sun is not a light source you can really manipulate to any great degree... and with HQ broadcasting, makeup can do only so much these days.

Is it really so hard to admit that Nicole Kidman looks pretty phenomenal?

#70 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 06:30 AM

a physical correlate of which is (physical) arrested development at the teenage stage.

Indeed.

Posted Image

The mechanism across thousands of years would be:
neoteny genes ---> youthful looks ---> more sex ----> more offsprings ---> increased frequency of neoteny genes in the population

While not via this route, neoteny has been hypothesized to be responsible for increased human lifespan in a book by Shostak a few years ago. I kind of doubt it, but you never know.

well longevity genes is what makes people to become supercentenarians.

The point was that this is an over-simplified way to think, as genes in isolation don't mean anything.

#71 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 06:44 AM

Is it really so hard to admit that Nicole Kidman looks pretty phenomenal?

Yes.

#72 marqueemoon

• Topic Starter
  • 78 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 07:43 PM

Personally, I think Nicole Kidman looks exactly her age. I've seen many images of her -- both still and motion. She tends to look better in films where the makeup and lighting are flattering. In motion off screen or in candids she doesn't fare nearly as well. She's also had a substantial amount of work. If you compare how she looked in some of her early films like "Dead Calm" her face was entirely different. I'm not talking about aging, but the shape of her features. I've seen the film, so the difference is also obvious in motion:
Posted Image

Click these links:
http://verdoux.files...dead-calm-4.jpg
http://farm3.static....80e9869.jpg?v=0
Everyone else I know who has seen this film had the same dumbfounded reaction.

She's at least had: cheekbone implants (this is the most obvious because she had no bone structure before and suddenly her cheekbones became one of her most prominent features), skin lightening, lip work, nose job and botox. She's not a naturally beautiful woman. She started out as a cute plain Jane and managed to transform herself into a beautiful woman with the help of surgery and good styling. The reason she could achieve this is because her original features were very regular and nondescript. They weren't flawed in any obvious way -- just lacked beauty.

Edited by marqueemoon, 14 December 2008 - 07:44 PM.

#73 Fredrik

• 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 December 2008 - 09:15 PM

Posted Image

Nicole Kidman is pointing that double barreled gun straight at the next person who claims she´s not all natural. Her all-seeing giant forehead is watching us. Dare say she´s had work done and she´ll pull the trigger and perform instant rhinoplasty on ya.

Edited by Fredrik, 14 December 2008 - 11:11 PM.

#74 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 06:13 PM

That's sort of disappointing, because I've always thought Nicole Kidman was one of the most naturally beautiful women there is.

On the other hand, I don't have a problem with people using technology to improve themselves, whether it's their brains, bodies or faces. So in a way it's also encouraging.

#75 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 December 2008 - 06:21 PM

Pippa black looks a lot like a younger version of nicole, but natural

#76 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 01:31 PM

Pippa black looks a lot like a younger version of nicole, but natural

What is that rubbish? And does he have man boobies?

Really.

Edited by Ben - Aus, 16 December 2008 - 01:31 PM.

#77 Wandering Jew

• 104 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 04:12 AM

With regimen, lifestyle, supps, and surgery, a lot of people can look 10 years younger

#78 HereInTheHole

• 105 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 07:57 PM

I think I look my age, but people are often (politely?) shocked that I'm 40. They usually guess my age between 30 and 32. I definitely don't have a baby face. But looking relatively good at 40 is easy when my peers are dumpy and lazy and act like old people. If I look 60 when I'm 80 and can hang with the 30-yr-olds, then I'll have something to be proud of.

Edited by NarrativiumX, 19 December 2008 - 08:09 PM.

#79 HereInTheHole

• 105 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 08:12 PM

You young people and your rave parties.
  • like x 1

#80 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 02:22 PM

Pharrell Williams is 35 but looks 17.

#81 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 03:20 PM

Pharrell Williams is 35 but looks 17.

This makes me wonder what kind of 35-year olds, or for that matter 17-year olds you are used to. Do you perhaps live in a climate where people tend to get a lot of sun damage, like some parts of Australia?

#82 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 03:29 PM

i live in the US
originally from canada
travels to EU a lot

#83 marqueemoon

• Topic Starter
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 11:32 PM

He looks 24-27 to me. Still remarkably young for his age, but 17 -- no way.

#84 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 12:22 AM

He looks no older than 20. But this is based on average standards of what most 20 year olds tend to look like. Again, I think you overshoot based on some unknown, unreasonable need to.

#85 marqueemoon

• Topic Starter
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 02:04 AM

He looks no older than 20. But this is based on average standards of what most 20 year olds tend to look like. Again, I think you overshoot based on some unknown, unreasonable need to.

How am I overshooting when I'm estimating ages below their actual ages in all cases? Lol.

I've always been good at guessing age. As I said earlier, I tend to be extremely accurate when guessing the ages of actors and actresses down to the year. Same in person. I think a lot of people actually underestimate age, especially people who are older and kind of clump all young people together.

Edited by marqueemoon, 22 December 2008 - 02:13 AM.

#86 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 12:49 PM

How am I overshooting when I'm estimating ages below their actual ages in all cases? Lol.

I've always been good at guessing age. As I said earlier, I tend to be extremely accurate when guessing the ages of actors and actresses down to the year. Same in person. I think a lot of people actually underestimate age, especially people who are older and kind of clump all young people together.

The opposite also happens, i.e., younger people who misguess the age of older people (the "he looks so much better than my parents and their friends, he must be 15 years younger" fallacy). IME people are good at estimating the age of anyone close to their own age, and mostly pretty bad at guessing the age of anyone not close to their own age. This guy is close to my age, so 35 seems about right. But then, I hang out with a young-looking, mostly single, body-conscious crowd of contemporaries, not the common married with kids couch potato.

#87 marqueemoon

• Topic Starter
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 02:36 AM

The opposite also happens, i.e., younger people who misguess the age of older people (the "he looks so much better than my parents and their friends, he must be 15 years younger" fallacy). IME people are good at estimating the age of anyone close to their own age, and mostly pretty bad at guessing the age of anyone not close to their own age. This guy is close to my age, so 35 seems about right. But then, I hang out with a young-looking, mostly single, body-conscious crowd of contemporaries, not the common married with kids couch potato.

I generally agree with you, though I think the guy looks younger than 35...but then again I'm not 35 so maybe your theory is correct! I have the most trouble guessing the ages of people who are much older than I am. Anything over 45 becomes a little murky to me. It may also be that there's a larger range how old a particular age group looks as the chronological age increase. If people are aging at different rates, the gaps between individuals would increase with age. One way of testing this theory might be comparing biomarkers of young adults to older adults. If you look at the biomarkers of say people aged 18 to 20, is there less variability in that group than between the individuals in a 70 to 72 set?

Edited by marqueemoon, 23 December 2008 - 02:39 AM.

#88 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 December 2008 - 11:25 AM

What about this celeb? I was googling young looking celebs and she ws voted top in a poll

http://www.imdb.com/...06496/nm0000084

Shes 42 years of age, this photo came up as 2007 on the imbd page. Shes definitely looks much younger than her age I think, but don't know much about her.

Posted Image

Edited by Matt, 24 December 2008 - 11:27 AM.

#89 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 11:31 AM

to a westerner an Asian is always going to look younger than they are because we tend to associate aging with wrinkles and the greying of the hair. This does not really seem to happen in Asians. I'm not sure whether it's a cultural thing to color their grey hair or if it's genetic. I do know that Asians have a thicker dermis when compared to westerners and therefore do not tend to wrinkle as much however, Asians tend to get age spots. You generally do not see Asians getting botox.

By the way, the Asian actor above.....what's her face like. I'm trapped in the high beams

Edited by zoolander, 24 December 2008 - 11:32 AM.

#90 Dmitri

• 841 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 11:40 PM

to a westerner an Asian is always going to look younger than they are because we tend to associate aging with wrinkles and the greying of the hair. This does not really seem to happen in Asians. I'm not sure whether it's a cultural thing to color their grey hair or if it's genetic. I do know that Asians have a thicker dermis when compared to westerners and therefore do not tend to wrinkle as much however, Asians tend to get age spots. You generally do not see Asians getting botox.

By the way, the Asian actor above.....what's her face like. I'm trapped in the high beams

That's Gong Li she's quite popular in China and around the world, her recent crossover roles have been in Memoirs of a Geisha and Miami Vice. The photo is from the latest Hannibal film.

Edited by Dmitri, 24 December 2008 - 11:41 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: skin, hollywood

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users