Photo
- - - - -

Probiotics And Digestive Enzymes For GERD

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 j03

• 592 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 08:21 PM

Has anyone taken either of these supplements with any success for GERD (Gastroesophageal reflux disease)?

Does anyone have this and found any other remedy?

#2 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 08:24 PM

Has anyone taken either of these supplements with any success for GERD (Gastroesophageal reflux disease)?

Does anyone have this and found any other remedy?

D-Limonene seems to help with my Reflux.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Lufega

• 1,810 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 December 2008 - 10:21 PM

I give my mom L-glutamine and Aloe Vera and it nips it in the bud. The use of glut makes sense. The problem with GERD is not the level of acid, perse, rather, it's the random dilatation of the Lower esophageal sphincter. This is kept tightly shut by adequate levels of GABA. The body makes GABA from L-glutamine given there is enough Lysine available. So, if more foods were fortified with L-Lysine, I suspect the incidence of GERD would decrease.

Activation of the GABA(B) receptor inhibits transient lower esophageal sphincter relaxations in dogs.
Lehmann A, Antonsson M, Bremner-Danielsen M, Flärdh M, Hansson-Brändén L, Kärrberg L. Gastrointestinal Pharmacology, Astra Zeneca R&D Mölndal, Mölndal, Sweden. Anders.Lehmann@astrazeneca.com

BACKGROUND & AIMS: Transient lower esophageal sphincter relaxation (TLESR) appears to be the most frequent motor event responsible for gastroesophageal reflux. Because TLESRs are considered to be triggered by activation of gastric mechanoreceptors, and because the gamma-aminobutyric acid type B (GABA(B))-receptor agonist baclofen is known to inhibit transmitter release from mechanosensitive afferents, the effects of baclofen on TLESRs in the dog were assessed. METHODS: A total of 183 recordings of the pharyngeal, esophageal, lower esophageal sphincter, and gastric pressures as well as measurement of esophageal pH were performed in 15 awake dogs. Racemic baclofen, its enantiomers, and the GABA(B)-receptor antagonist CGP36742 were administered before stimulation of TLESRs by a liquid meal and air insufflation. The pharmacodynamics of baclofen were compared with its pharmacokinetics. RESULTS: Baclofen dose-dependently inhibited TLESRs, with a 50% effective dose (ED(50)) of 1.0 micromol/kg after intravenous administration. The maximal inhibition amounted to approximately 80%. Intragastric baclofen was almost equally effective (ED(50), 1.8 micromol/kg), compatible with the complete oral availability of the drug (100%). The inhibitory effect of baclofen resided in the pharmacologically active R enantiomer, and CGP36742 reduced some of the effects of baclofen. CONCLUSIONS: Baclofen is a potent and efficacious inhibitor of TLESRs and reflux in the dog. Activation of the GABA(B) receptor may be a new approach to the treatment of reflux disease.

From this and other studies, it wasn't hard to deduce the nutritional implication of the study. Actually, maybe increasing dietary L-lysine is the key in eliminating GERD as this amino seems to be the limiting nutrient in our diet.

http://ezinearticles...G...?&id=540785

Edited by Lufega, 26 December 2008 - 11:08 PM.

• Good Point x 1

#4 j03

• Topic Starter
  • 592 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 07:34 AM

I was reading about D-Limonene in a couple threads in the archive, and reading some users anecdotal experiences as being that it "helped", but didn't cure GERD

Also, I want to note: I have the type of GERD that only effects me at night during sleep. I wake up every morning with a sore throat. I do the positional therapy and have my bed raised, and am currently taking Rabeprazole that was prescribed by my doctor, and that only helps somewhat. it used to work good, but i must be getting worse, or need a higher dose. But i don't want to be on that medication for too long.

What would be a recommended combination of vitamins before bed? If i were to D-Limonene, Digestive Enzymes, Probiotics, ...is that recommended?

#5 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 08:43 AM

I give my mom L-glutamine and Aloe Vera and it nips it in the bud. The use of glut makes sense. The problem with GERD is not the level of acid, perse, rather, it's the random dilatation of the Lower esophageal sphincter. This is kept tightly shut by adequate levels of GABA. The body makes GABA from L-glutamine given there is enough Lysine available. So, if more foods were fortified with L-Lysine, I suspect the incidence of GERD would decrease.

Activation of the GABA(B) receptor inhibits transient lower esophageal sphincter relaxations in dogs.
Lehmann A, Antonsson M, Bremner-Danielsen M, Flärdh M, Hansson-Brändén L, Kärrberg L. Gastrointestinal Pharmacology, Astra Zeneca R&D Mölndal, Mölndal, Sweden. Anders.Lehmann@astrazeneca.com

BACKGROUND & AIMS: Transient lower esophageal sphincter relaxation (TLESR) appears to be the most frequent motor event responsible for gastroesophageal reflux. Because TLESRs are considered to be triggered by activation of gastric mechanoreceptors, and because the gamma-aminobutyric acid type B (GABA(B))-receptor agonist baclofen is known to inhibit transmitter release from mechanosensitive afferents, the effects of baclofen on TLESRs in the dog were assessed. METHODS: A total of 183 recordings of the pharyngeal, esophageal, lower esophageal sphincter, and gastric pressures as well as measurement of esophageal pH were performed in 15 awake dogs. Racemic baclofen, its enantiomers, and the GABA(B)-receptor antagonist CGP36742 were administered before stimulation of TLESRs by a liquid meal and air insufflation. The pharmacodynamics of baclofen were compared with its pharmacokinetics. RESULTS: Baclofen dose-dependently inhibited TLESRs, with a 50% effective dose (ED(50)) of 1.0 micromol/kg after intravenous administration. The maximal inhibition amounted to approximately 80%. Intragastric baclofen was almost equally effective (ED(50), 1.8 micromol/kg), compatible with the complete oral availability of the drug (100%). The inhibitory effect of baclofen resided in the pharmacologically active R enantiomer, and CGP36742 reduced some of the effects of baclofen. CONCLUSIONS: Baclofen is a potent and efficacious inhibitor of TLESRs and reflux in the dog. Activation of the GABA(B) receptor may be a new approach to the treatment of reflux disease.

From this and other studies, it wasn't hard to deduce the nutritional implication of the study. Actually, maybe increasing dietary L-lysine is the key in eliminating GERD as this amino seems to be the limiting nutrient in our diet.

http://ezinearticles...G...?&id=540785

Hmmm, What other issues would a shortage of L-lysine cause ?

#6 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 December 2008 - 08:58 AM

Just an anecdotal one here. I found Manuka Honey to be the best thing for GERD. At least 10+ UMF.

#7 Lufega

• 1,810 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 December 2008 - 01:34 PM

Hmmm, What other issues would a shortage of L-lysine cause ?

r

Stress, anxiety (I read of someone tapering off Benzos after using Lysine), weakened connective tissue and all it's implications. Mmmm...?

#8 j03

• Topic Starter
  • 592 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 05:42 AM

I went to 4 different health food stores and none had D-Limonene. Apparently it's a hard supplement to find.

Manuka Honey was kinda pricey; over 35$ for a tiny jar of it.

#9 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 05:52 AM

I went to 4 different health food stores and none had D-Limonene. Apparently it's a hard supplement to find.

You can get the best deal on D-Limonene here:

http://www.greenterp...com/default.asp
Buy a quart or a gallon, and you can probably use it for years.

You can get it here if you want gelcaps.
http://www.swansonvi...il?n=4294967185

#10 j03

• Topic Starter
  • 592 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 06:50 AM

You can get the best deal on D-Limonene here:

http://www.greenterp...com/default.asp
Buy a quart or a gallon, and you can probably use it for years.

You can get it here if you want gelcaps.
http://www.swansonvi...il?n=4294967185

That's a very cheap price. The unfortunate thing about ordering it online though is that I'm in Canada, where shipping will come out to over 20$. But I'll pay it if it will help this problem.

I have Papaya based digestive enzymes (recommended by the naturopath at the store), probiotics, and Aloe Vera juice, and will try that until i get my Limonene

I'm still reading about lysine and might incorporate that in the future. Same with Manuka Honey if I find a more economical source other than the one i seen

I'll post my results for others that are suffering with this same thing.

Any other suggestions would still be very appreciated though

Edited by j033, 28 December 2008 - 06:56 AM.

#11 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 08:23 AM

I have Papaya based digestive enzymes (recommended by the naturopath at the store), probiotics, and Aloe Vera juice, and will try that until i get my Limonene

Be careful with Aloe Vera. It can cause cross-linking (glycation).
glycation leads to A.G.E.s. Not sure you want to go that route.

#12 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 August 2009 - 05:31 AM

I would like to see some links showing lysine lacking from our diet enough to inhibit gaba formation.
  • Agree x 1

#13 j03

• Topic Starter
  • 592 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 06:33 AM

I seen someone bumped this so I'll give a little update on the situation:

I tried D-Limonene. it's been a month now. I got the Jarrows brand. I notice no difference. I also tried manuka honey, and that didn't have much effect either. Nor did glutamine, probiotics, digestive enzymes, apple cider vinegar, high dose (6MG) melatonin, etc.

I have an issue with proton pump inhibitors. They give me bad headaches and photophobia. The only one that doesn't give me that effect to a high extent is pantoprazole

I am taking pantoprazole, with prescription famotidine... and gaviscon before bed. This is the regimn, yet I still wake up with a sore throat.... but it is significantly less that if I took nothing. I have raised my bed 6 inches aswell

I got a Px. for baclofen, and am going to try that soon. I want to try a prokinetic (both of these supposedly tighten the esophageal spinter), but my doctor won't prescribe anything.

I'm still looking for a cure, so anyone that has any information it would be appreciated

#14 Jay

• 406 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 02:08 PM

I tried D-Limonene. it's been a month now. I got the Jarrows brand. I notice no difference. I also tried manuka honey, and that didn't have much effect either. Nor did glutamine, probiotics, digestive enzymes, apple cider vinegar, high dose (6MG) melatonin, etc.

I have an issue with proton pump inhibitors. They give me bad headaches and photophobia. The only one that doesn't give me that effect to a high extent is pantoprazole

I am taking pantoprazole, with prescription famotidine... and gaviscon before bed. This is the regimn, yet I still wake up with a sore throat.... but it is significantly less that if I took nothing. I have raised my bed 6 inches aswell

I got a Px. for baclofen, and am going to try that soon. I want to try a prokinetic (both of these supposedly tighten the esophageal spinter), but my doctor won't prescribe anything.

I'm still looking for a cure, so anyone that has any information it would be appreciated

I believe that D-limonene, manuka honey, and apple cider vinegar work for GERD caused by h pylori. If that's what you do have, they generally take some time to do their magic. Since it's a month already, probably your GERD is not caused by h pylori but by a hiatal hernia. Since 6mg of melatonin doesn't help, it might be a pretty wide open hiatal hernia. You might want to consider a surgical repair.

On the subject of D-limonene, I saw a study recently that showed that perillyl alcohol (which bears similarities to D-limonene) (weakly) promotes esophagus cancer in rats with barrett's esophagus.

#15 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 August 2009 - 07:47 PM

I use Ashwagandha to control my GERD, in addition to pantoprazole. You may want to try Ashwagandha. I use Jarrow's.

#16 j03

• Topic Starter
  • 592 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 02:06 AM

I believe that D-limonene, manuka honey, and apple cider vinegar work for GERD caused by h pylori. If that's what you do have, they generally take some time to do their magic. Since it's a month already, probably your GERD is not caused by h pylori but by a hiatal hernia. Since 6mg of melatonin doesn't help, it might be a pretty wide open hiatal hernia. You might want to consider a surgical repair.

On the subject of D-limonene, I saw a study recently that showed that perillyl alcohol (which bears similarities to D-limonene) (weakly) promotes esophagus cancer in rats with barrett's esophagus.

Because of your post I went to my doctor today and asked about the hiatal hernia, and from an x-ray that was done two years ago there was no hiatial hernia detected. I also did an endoscopy recently and neither that or h pylori was detected.

In the x-ray there was some "anomaly" with a valve or something pushing against my esophageal spinter, but he said that wasn't enough to cause GERD... but now I'm wondering. I'm going to go back tomorrow and see exactly what that was and then post.

#17 hyper_ventriloquism

• 60 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:11 AM

Because of your post I went to my doctor today and asked about the hiatal hernia, and from an x-ray that was done two years ago there was no hiatial hernia detected. I also did an endoscopy recently and neither that or h pylori was detected.

In the x-ray there was some "anomaly" with a valve or something pushing against my esophageal spinter, but he said that wasn't enough to cause GERD... but now I'm wondering. I'm going to go back tomorrow and see exactly what that was and then post.

Do you eat within three hours of going to bed? I'm sure you know this can have a profound effect on reflux symptoms at night.

Did your doctor diagnose you with an irregular z-line?

#18 jessicantique

• 104 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 05:02 PM

aloe can cause glycation? i can't find a lot of research to support this...

is this the mechanism behind the aloe glycation?
http://forum.lef.org...px?f=38&m=17177

Edited by jessicantique, 18 August 2009 - 05:13 PM.

#19 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:32 PM

I've used Aloe vera on my skin since I was like 16... oO I doubt it was doing much harm haha

#20 HealthologisT

• 34 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 10:26 AM

This may provide additional insight re PROBIOTIC consumption:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18456279

Edited by HealthologisT, 21 August 2009 - 10:28 AM.

#21 j03

• Topic Starter
  • 592 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:50 AM

So, I went to the doctor and got the result of the Barium Swallow Test done on 8/30/07. Anyone have an opinion on the note?

"Barium passed freely through the pharynx and esophagus.

was no evidence of any constricting or obstructing lesion.

Note is made of an indentation on the esophagus consistent with an aberrant right subclavian artery but this does not appear to be narrowing the lumen to any significant extent

There was moderate amount of reflux but no hiatus hernia was seen. Impression:

Reflux

Vascular anomaly as noted but no significant constriction seen."

I also did a endoscopy recently and no h pylori was spotted. Just some inflammation, probably from the reflux. Is that note something i should be concerned for? should i do another Barium Swallow seeing it's been two years?

#22 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 05:09 PM

I would try (all together):

6-12mg melatonin 45 minutes before bedtime
225-450mg of jarrow sensoril or 450-900mg of Now ashwagandha 45 minutes before bedtime
1000mg of jarrow d-limonene at lunch or dinner
Eat NOTHING within 3 hours of bedtime

If you do all of the above simultaneously and consistently for 3-4 weeks and do not experience dramatic improvement I would be shocked. Do not expect overnight changes.

Edited by FunkOdyssey, 03 September 2009 - 05:10 PM.

#23 tham

• 1,406 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:47 PM

The second-generation proton pump inhibitor, rabeprazole (Pariet).

The old dopamine D2 antagonist, domperidone (Motilium). Doesn't
cross the blood-brain barrier unlike metoclopramide.
Your FDA never approved it due to concerns about QT prologation
in infants.

It's been around here in Malaysia for decades. I keep one or two
strips in my drawer for IBS or flatulence.

The old antispasmodic/GIT regulator mebeverine (Duspatalin).
Called Colofac in the UK. I have some in my office drawer.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....l=pubmed_docsum

Edited by tham, 03 September 2009 - 07:53 PM.

#24 j03

• Topic Starter
  • 592 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 01:48 AM

I would try (all together):

6-12mg melatonin 45 minutes before bedtime
225-450mg of jarrow sensoril or 450-900mg of Now ashwagandha 45 minutes before bedtime
1000mg of jarrow d-limonene at lunch or dinner
Eat NOTHING within 3 hours of bedtime

If you do all of the above simultaneously and consistently for 3-4 weeks and do not experience dramatic improvement I would be shocked. Do not expect overnight changes.

Thanks for that ashwaganda tip! I just went out and bought some. I got the the jarrows' limonene off Iherb. I'll try upping the melatonin tonight in conjunction.

I'm also taking baclofen 3 x daily, and sucralfate before bed.

I stopped the proton pump inhibitor, so i expect a lot more stomach acid until my body normalizes.

Hopefully this stack works :)

Edited by j03, 04 September 2009 - 02:40 AM.

#25 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 05:08 PM

Did it work?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#26 lbarber4

• 51 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 08:58 PM

Have you ever used Betaine HCL? I've had GERD before, but it was due to my diet. Any who, try that out, instead of using D-limonene. I use D-limonene when I get a a burning sensation in my stomach caused by too much stomach acid and then continue to utilize in Probiotics in with your diet. Also, do not be afraid to up your dose of Betaine HCL.

I use this brand.

http://www.iherb.com...ules/18978?at=0

along with this http://www.iherb.com...60-ml/8045?at=0

Gentian Root

Edited by lbarber4, 07 October 2009 - 09:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users