* * * * * 2 votes

Laser Ablation of Lipofuscin

project

• Please log in to reply
214 replies to this topic

#31 n25philly

• 88 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 08:50 PM

Up to $2,699.15 with about 3 weeks to go. We took in several small donations over the last week. Nice to see broad support, however, we still need much more. Please share any ideas for promoting this funding drive. Also, remember to save up a dollar or two per week in order to donate before the August 17th deadline.

Good to see some support. With all the mention of saving up to donate don't be surprised by a last minute surge. I donated $100 back when it first came up, and I am putting aside money now as well and will put in some more near the end of the deadline. At the moment I have about another $150 available to work with.

#32 Florin

• 841 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:06 PM

Here are two more ideas:

#33 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 12:07 AM

Me and foreverfreedom are doing a quick 20 person matching fund with in a matching fund this week. We will each give $20.00 if 18 more people agree to. If this one works then Im hoping to start another one next week. In the mean time, give to this fund above and beyond $20.00 if you have the means rather than join this one, and even consider starting a matching offer with in yourself, either larger or smaller.

#34 jCole

• 211 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 03:26 AM

Donated what I could, hope to toss a few more bucks after the mortgage is paid next week. :|?

I wish I had more people to refer to this. But I have a hard time getting anyone to understand anything related to 'life extension' in general. Feel like a small fish in a big ocean.

I'll toss this banner up on a few other forums I post on. Hopefully we can get some more hits off of it.

#35 Florin

• 841 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 03:53 AM

Me and foreverfreedom are doing a quick 20 person matching fund with in a matching fund this week. We will each give $20.00 if 18 more people agree to. If this one works then Im hoping to start another one next week. In the mean time, give to this fund above and beyond $20.00 if you have the means rather than join this one, and even consider starting a matching offer with in yourself, either larger or smaller.

Here's yet another idea. Among other advantages like a donor list, Facebook causes have a nice donor match feature—something that Imminst's laser donation page lacks. Imminst might want to consider using a cause page for these kinds of fundraising projects in the future.

#36 Florin

• 841 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 06:32 PM

Here's a list of the status of each method that could be used to promote his project:
  • Implemented promotional methods
    • Imminst homepage
    • Imminst forum banner (hidden next to header)
    • Imminst forum banner (in vacant ad space)
    • Imminst forum Meet&Greet ANNOUNCEMENTS (hidden)
    • Promotional email to Imminst members
  • Proposed promotional methods
    • Donor list
    • Google ads
    • Imminst banner (in or above header)
    • Imminst forum banner (in or above header)
    • Links to project on life extension and transhumanist Facebook groups and causes

#37 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 06:58 PM

Me and foreverfreedom are doing a quick 20 person matching fund with in a matching fund this week. We will each give $20.00 if 18 more people agree to

I'm in (i'll probably give more: 20$ is not much). If we are less than 10 at the end of the month i'll abandon the list and pay directly. Everyone: i think that the project has some potential for life extension: are you joining the list?

#38 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:04 PM

Well, facebook would be a good one. We need a facebook champion from ImmInst. Someone thoroughly familiar with it, with a large network there. I used to slave to the grind like that in myspace, but it was slowly phased out as face book phased in. Myspace then continued to take a headlong nose dive down hill into a dumpster.

In your proposed list there, what we needed was a widget. We could have looked into just linking up to a face book widget, but the idea didnt seem to have any support and I for one didnt have the time to work with it. We wanted to have our own widget designed but we didnt have somebody that could do it lined up in time. A donor list in it would have worked great. Facebook cause widgets arent embedable are they? Do you think that google ads will work? I think its worth a try too. How many dollars worth of them do you think it would take to be effective? It seems its worth a $100 try at the minimum, if thats successful then we could consider putting more money into it.

#39 Florin

• 841 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:32 PM

Well, facebook would be a good one. We need a facebook champion from ImmInst. Someone thoroughly familiar with it, with a large network there.

Perhaps, AgeVivo could help (if not, I might). And how about asking Aubrey if he's willing to email his 3k friends about it and/or post an announcement about it on his Facebook Wall?

In your proposed list there, what we needed was a widget. We could have looked into just linking up to a face book widget, but the idea didnt seem to have any support and I for one didnt have the time to work with it. We wanted to have our own widget designed but we didnt have somebody that could do it lined up in time. A donor list in it would have worked great.

If help was needed in creating a widget, the promotional email should have asked for it. There has to be someone in Imminst's 8k membership that could have helped. Although I plan on research donation widgets, I haven't done so yet.

Regarding the donor list, I meant Imminst might want to place a donor list on the laser page right now.

Facebook cause widgets arent embedable are they?

Facebook causes have a "Feature this Cause" feature that is only embeddable in Facebook profiles.

Do you think that google ads will work? I think its worth a try too. How many dollars worth of them do you think it would take to be effective? It seems its worth a $100 try at the minimum, if thats successful then we could consider putting more money into it.

I don't know if advertising with Google will work, but I agree that it's worth a try.

Also, Google started something called Google Grants that awards free AdWords advertising to select charitable organizations. I doubt Imminst would qualify, but it's worth trying.

Edited by Florin Clapa, 03 August 2009 - 08:40 PM.

#40 Florin

• 841 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:54 PM

Here's an updated list of the status of each method that could be used to promote this project:
    • Imminst homepage
    • Imminst forum's Staff Picks section
    • Aubrey (email his Facebook friends and/or post an announcement on his Facebook Wall)
    • Donor list
    • Facebook cause
    • Facebook donation widgets
    • Google ads
    • Links to project on life extension and transhumanist Facebook groups and causes

Edited by Florin Clapa, 03 August 2009 - 08:56 PM.

#41 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:21 PM

Aubrey is preparing a statement. Yay!

#42 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:48 PM

FACEBOOK GROUP: http://www.facebook....id=242324630703
Posted Image

#43 Florin

• 841 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:21 PM

FACEBOOK GROUP: http://www.facebook....id=242324630703
Posted Image

I think it might be better to link directly to the donation page and you might also want to start a thread in the Discussion Board for added visibility.

#44 Florin

• 841 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:46 PM

Here's an updated list of the status of each method that could be used to promote this project:
    • Imminst homepage
    • Imminst forum's Staff Picks section
  • Ongoing promotional methods
    • Links to project on life extension and transhumanist Facebook groups and causes (AgeVivo)
  • Pending promotional methods
    • Aubrey (email his Facebook friends and/or post an announcement on his Facebook Wall)
    • Donor list
    • Facebook cause (too late)
    • Facebook donation widgets (too late?)
    • Google ads

#45 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 06:33 PM

Thanks for starting the facebook group Agevivo. Everything helps.

We are also planning on giving away free SENSF lab tours for everyone that donates $50.00 or more. More to come on this later this week.

#46 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 06:43 PM

Up to $2795.99 as of today.

#47 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 09:33 PM

I think it might be better to link directly to the donation page

Oh, you mean here: http://www.imminst.org/laser-donations

#48 n25philly

• 88 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 09:37 PM

I'm still pretty concerned about how slowly this is going. I'm pretty new to the cause, does funding always come in this slow? I've been over to The Methuselah Foundation and they seem to get decent funding. $8000 should be this hard, and I kind of figured we would be twice as far along by now at least. I'm beginning to wonder if I should be saving every penny for cryonics. :(

#49 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 August 2009 - 10:02 PM

Philly, the only thing worse than cryonics is cremation...

If you're still fairly young, a life insurance cryo policy costs under $60/month. So there's probably not much of a need to save every penny for cryo. You're better off supporting/investing in LE tech.

And you're right. This is a small movement with limited resources - a fact which should make greater personal involvement all the more compelling.

#50 Florin

• 841 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 10:23 PM

No, I meant link to http://www.imminst.o...-research-grant. Since a lot of people wouldn't know what the project is about, it would be helpful to link to a page that explains it to them.

#51 n25philly

• 88 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 10:25 PM

Philly, the only thing worse than cryonics is cremation...

If you're still fairly young, a life insurance cryo policy costs under $60/month. So there's probably not much of a need to save every penny for cryo. You're better off supporting/investing in LE tech.

And you're right. This is a small movement with limited resources - a fact which should make greater personal involvement all the more compelling.

I was going for a little drama there. I'm 29, in good health, and follow every good advice I can find. on how to keep it that way. Next year I'll be finished paying off my car so I was planning on looking into cryonics then since I'll have an extra $300 a month to work with. (yes that would also mean that I would be able to donate more to help the cause.

I do have parents in their sixties though, so my sense of urgency has more to do with them. I know it's probably a long shot for them, but if something could materialize for them that could even give an extra few year that would be worth sacrificing for. Fortunately that are both in very good health and take good care of themselves. I do have decent amount of room on my credit card, so if we can at least get close by the end, say around 7,000 I would be willing to take on the debt to finish it off. What happens if we fail to raise the money by the 17th?

#52 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 02:31 AM

And you're right. This is a small movement with limited resources

Yet we could easily afford to fund the full grant without the need for a matching fund. All we have to do is decide to do it.

#53 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 05:40 AM

Yes, but sens has had millions of dollars to work with for sens and we have had about 60k to work with everything in the cause as a broad whole. We want to fund some sens, support sens, yes, heres our chance to make more meaningful associations with the science of the cause. We need to make this money count though. If we can go and plant some of those dollars in the membership in a matching grant and have them sprout into more dollars then we need to do that it seems. 60k alone wont carry this message to the world and the research to success.

This also gives us all a good solid additional way to help cut our teeth and prove to ourselves and everybody that we can put our money where our mouths are and actually start to put the raw materials to the grind stone and pick up the pace in shaping the future that we have been plotting, slowly materializing, accumulating resources for, and dreaming of for so long.

Edited by brokenportal, 05 August 2009 - 05:54 PM.

#54 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 06:56 AM

Whatever money is collected will be matched by the Institute. If it stopped today, we would be matching the $2795 and sending a check for $5,590 to SENSF. AND I confirmed with SENSF that the Peter Thiel 50% matching applies to this research as well (a couple years ago Thiel pledged to match all SENSF donations through the end of 2009). So this is one of the best places for you to put your money. A $10 donation becomes $30. A $53 donation becomes $159.

#55 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 07:08 AM

Wow, thats great news.

Its still great of course, by why is the Thiel thing only 50% now? I thought it was 100%, which would then mean for this that $53 would become $212.

And then if that were the case that also means that in the 20 for $20 scheme that a person giving $20 would actually be giving.... holy cow, $1,600.

#56 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:27 PM

I'll repeat what I posted earlier in this thread, if anyone has any additional innovative ideas for fundraising, please share. We would like to have any new stuff in place by Monday August 10th for the last week of fundraising.

#57 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:40 PM

No, I meant link to http://www.imminst.o...-research-grant. Since a lot of people wouldn't know what the project is about, it would be helpful to link to a page that explains it to them.

But... that's what i had done before. Plus i don't know what you mean by starting a thread in the discussion board. Do not hesitate to create a facebook yourself, it will be easier and faster. Cheers.

#58 Florin

• 841 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:53 PM

But... that's what i had done before. Plus i don't know what you mean by starting a thread in the discussion board. Do not hesitate to create a facebook yourself, it will be easier and faster. Cheers.

No, you've linked to the Laser ablation of Lipofuscin group on Facebook (for examples go here and here) instead of linking directly to Imminst's Laser Ablation of Lipofuscin page.

At the Ending aging: SENS, SENS Foundation, Aubrey de Grey group, you started a "Live Aid Against Aging, September 12th, near Brussels" thread on the Discussion Board and also posted a "Life Aid Against Aging 2009, Saturday September 12th, near Brussels" link in the Links section. You can do the same thing for the Laser Ablation of Lipofuscin project except link directly to Imminst's Laser Ablation of Lipofuscin page instead of the Facebook group you started.

#59 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:10 PM

Done. You might check, in case i misunderstood

#60 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:38 PM

$2,874.65 is now the running total, and that does not include the 20 for 20 donations that came int today. I don't add it into the total until it settles into the Imminst bank account - which takes 1 to 2 days.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: project

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users