Photo
- - - - -

Stimulating dendrite growth

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Declmem

• 315 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 07:45 PM

Are there any supplements with decent clinical evidence for promoting dendrite growth?

Thanks

#2 outsider

• 396 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 09:01 AM

I would say lot's of decent mind herb would do that.

You want some clinical proof ? You can go with ashwagandha. On the nootropic side I believe hydergine can do that too.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Johann

• 372 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 02:26 PM

ALCAR is a trusted supp that will do it. Been using for 3 years. My mind is much sharper now. Can remember things, mind is much clearer.

#4 Declmem

• Topic Starter
  • 315 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 07:45 PM

I ordered some Hydergine from IAS. It's expensive, but not prohibitively so. I'll let you guys know how it goes, if anyone is interested.

I've tried Ashwaganda, but didn't get any noticable effects from it. Is it more of a long-term solution?

I've also tried ALCAR. Country Life brand, I believe. Again I didn't seem to get much from it. How long have you been taking it, and how long did it take for you to experience any effects?

Thanks for the responses

#5 tlm884

• 597 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 12:09 AM

Lithium

#6 Johann

• 372 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 03:37 PM

I ordered some Hydergine from IAS. It's expensive, but not prohibitively so. I'll let you guys know how it goes, if anyone is interested.

I've tried Ashwaganda, but didn't get any noticable effects from it. Is it more of a long-term solution?

I've also tried ALCAR. Country Life brand, I believe. Again I didn't seem to get much from it. How long have you been taking it, and how long did it take for you to experience any effects?

Thanks for the responses

The odd thing is that I ordered some ALCAR several years ago, took some, didn't immediately notice anything, then forgot about it. I kept the bottle though and a year or so later tried it again and began to notice powerful results. I'm like that with many supps. What will happen is I will buy something, try it, and the first time won't experience much. But then later, try it again and see something happen.
Sometimes the subtle can be the most profound.

#7 Declmem

• Topic Starter
  • 315 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 06:56 PM

Thanks for the responses

The odd thing is that I ordered some ALCAR several years ago, took some, didn't immediately notice anything, then forgot about it. I kept the bottle though and a year or so later tried it again and began to notice powerful results. I'm like that with many supps. What will happen is I will buy something, try it, and the first time won't experience much. But then later, try it again and see something happen.
Sometimes the subtle can be the most profound.

I can relate to that. That's exactly what happened with CDP Choline for me.

Maybe I'll give ALCAR another shot :)

What brand do you use?

#8 mcollard

• 4 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 01:47 PM

For those of us in the dark, what is a dendrite and what is it's impact on mental performance, retention, and comfort (e.g. clarity, emotional well-being)?

#9 outsider

• 396 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 09:23 AM

For those of us in the dark, what is a dendrite and what is it's impact on mental performance, retention, and comfort (e.g. clarity, emotional well-being)?

Usually what you want to know is if it translate to real word results, I'm becoming less interested in the mecanism of action on my side but what happen is most powerful antioxidant will help develop brain structures for one and then there are things like Lion's mane mushroom which boost NGF considerably which should help dendrit growth but again very few studies if nothing at all. Idebenone help in NGF if I remember but then I don't know if there are studies which confirm dendrit enhancement. Pyritinol is a powerful antioxidant, could help there.

#10 Bionex

• 4 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 10:15 AM

Usually what you want to know is if it translate to real word results, I'm becoming less interested in the mecanism of action on my side but what happen is most powerful antioxidant will help develop brain structures for one and then there are things like Lion's mane mushroom which boost NGF considerably which should help dendrit growth but again very few studies if nothing at all. Idebenone help in NGF if I remember but then I don't know if there are studies which confirm dendrit enhancement. Pyritinol is a powerful antioxidant, could help there.

This would be good on natualistic standpoint, but couldn't you just buy Nerve Growth Factor or cobra venom extract.

#11 drmz

• 574 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 10:36 AM

You want dendrite growth just to be sure that all your habits will be more efficiently hard wired then they already are? I don't see dendrite growth necessarily as a positive thing.

Edited by drmz, 06 July 2009 - 10:37 AM.

#12 Johann

• 372 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 07:26 PM

Declmem,
I've been using the NSI brand from Vitacost. They come in 500 mg capsules which
I split into two days doses. I also add approximately 25 mg of ALA.

#13 Doc Eight or DE

• 54 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 11:56 PM

This would be good on natualistic standpoint, but couldn't you just buy Nerve Growth Factor or cobra venom extract.

What's the safe range on CVE?

Does anyone have a source to buy Cobra Venom Extract?

Anyone else using this for the NGF factor?

Thanks,

Attached Files

#14 outsider

• 396 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 08:31 AM

No NGF doesn't goes through the blood brain barier and Lion's main is very efficient at boosting it in the brain.

#15 Declmem

• Topic Starter
  • 315 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 04:00 AM

No NGF doesn't goes through the blood brain barier and Lion's main is very efficient at boosting it in the brain.

The Lion's Mane looks interesting. http://findarticles....ag=content;col1

Know any good brands for this?

#16 VampIyer

• 204 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 05:22 AM

There are other products on iherb as well, but:

http://www.iherb.com...plets/4963?at=0 - I've been trying this one on/off. At 3 pills there is a definite effect every time, and while I may have felt more focused in some way...I also felt a bit dopey.

I don't know what to make of this yet. I need to correct some other more serious health problems before I become a good test subject.

Note that it does have some piperine in there (cytochrome p450 inhibitor) so I take it with curcumin and other supplements which may be better absorbed with piperine. Why waste it eh?

#17 outsider

• 396 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:21 AM

Last week I receaved my Lion's mane order from herbal-remedies-usa to discover that what they ship me was Reshi mushroom instead. I was so pissed. It was clearly written on my receipt "Lion's mane". I won't return it back because I'm sure they don't have it in stock. I feel ripped off. On the bright side reshi is thought to be good for the memory and is a prime tonic so...

After reading on the study above I fell even more bad about my order. Very informative study. Thanks for the link.

Edited by outsider, 08 July 2009 - 07:41 AM.

#18 outsider

• 396 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:47 AM

Ashitaba increases NGF too.

#19 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:07 PM

Nice study!! I would like to see more studies about this

#20 Declmem

• Topic Starter
  • 315 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 06:12 PM

There are other products on iherb as well, but:

http://www.iherb.com...plets/4963?at=0 - I've been trying this one on/off. At 3 pills there is a definite effect every time, and while I may have felt more focused in some way...I also felt a bit dopey.

I don't know what to make of this yet. I need to correct some other more serious health problems before I become a good test subject.

Note that it does have some piperine in there (cytochrome p450 inhibitor) so I take it with curcumin and other supplements which may be better absorbed with piperine. Why waste it eh?

I know what you mean. Many of the supplements I've tried did appear to have promising benefits, but the "dopey" feeling is intolerable in many cases.

It's too bad that one is out of stock or I'd give it a shot.

Anyone tried this? It's expensive but has some good reviews: http://www.iherb.com...0-Vcaps/50?at=0

EDIT: Woops, didn't see the other thread about this: http://www.imminst.o...oom-t18730.html

EDIT #2: Here's a real cheap extract. Can't find any reviews on it tho. http://www.swansonvi...il?n=4294967189

Edited by Declmem, 08 July 2009 - 06:20 PM.

#21 outsider

• 396 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:41 AM

Thanks for the links guys. I have known about Lion's mane since a couple of years now but this have me even more interested.

Edited by outsider, 09 July 2009 - 08:44 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#22 meursault

• 370 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 02:02 PM

Another tip of my hat to one of my favorite herbs, Ashwagandha:

Sominone enhances neurite outgrowth and spatial memory mediated by the neurotrophic factor receptor, RET.
Tohda C, Joyashiki E. Division of Biofunctional Evaluation, Research Center for Ethnomedicine, Institute of Natural Medicine, University of Toyama, Toyama, Japan.

Background and purpose: Orally administered withanoside IV (a compound isolated from the roots of Withania somnifera) improved memory deficits in mice with a model of Alzheimer's disease induced by the amyloid peptide Abeta(25-35). Sominone, an aglycone of withanoside IV, was identified as an active metabolite after oral administration of withanoside IV. We aimed to identify receptors or associated molecules of sominone, and to investigate the effects of sominone on memory in normal mice. Experimental approach: Phosphorylation levels of 71 molecules were compared between control and sominone-stimulated cortical cultured cells to search for target molecules of sominone. Object location memory and neurite density in the brain were evaluated in sominone-injected mice. Key results: Phosphorylation of RET (a receptor for the glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor, GDNF) was increased in neurons by sominone, without affecting the synthesis and secretion of GDNF. Knockdown of RET prevented sominone-induced outgrowths of axons and dendrites. After a single i.p. injection of sominone into normal mice, they could better memorize scenery information than control mice. Sixty minutes after sominone injection, RET phosphorylation was increased, particularly in the hippocampus of mice. After the memory tests, the densities of axons and dendrites were increased in the hippocampus by sominone administration. Conclusions and implications: Sominone could reinforce the morphological plasticity of neurons by activation of the RET pathway and thus enhance memory. Sominone, a compound with low molecular weight, may be a GDNF-independent stimulator of the RET pathway and/or a novel modulator of RET signalling.

Pubmed link

Edited by czukles, 16 July 2009 - 02:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users