• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

$10 million Federal grant awarded

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 01:06 AM

On NPR, I heard today that some researchers at the University of Wisconsin Madison were awarded a $10 million federal grant for nanontechnology. Apparently this is mostly involved in helping to strengthen aluminum and other alloys with nanonparticles.

http://www.wkowtv.co....asp?S=11698966

I thought it was interesting to hear about nanotech in the news though, and to hear about federal or any kind of grant money of a magnitude like this being awarded to this related field, and to hear about it going to one of the most renowned research universities around.

It was inspiring, and it made me think again about our role in helping stay on top of, and stay on top of spotting out grant opportunities. Of course, this is an integral part of the direction the Immortality Institute is headed in.

I dont have time to help mine for grant contacts and volunteers and insiders these months, but maybe somebody else does. Its worth getting the discussion going more if we can. For example, what percent of the NIA's budget is left open to be awarded for grants, and where do we go to help lobby for the direction they go in, and help our contacts apply for them?

#2 bacopa

• Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 08:13 AM

On NPR, I heard today that some researchers at the University of Wisconsin Madison were awarded a $10 million federal grant for nanontechnology. Apparently this is mostly involved in helping to strengthen aluminum and other alloys with nanonparticles.

http://www.wkowtv.co....asp?S=11698966

I thought it was interesting to hear about nanotech in the news though, and to hear about federal or any kind of grant money of a magnitude like this being awarded to this related field, and to hear about it going to one of the most renowned research universities around.

It was inspiring, and it made me think again about our role in helping stay on top of, and stay on top of spotting out grant opportunities. Of course, this is an integral part of the direction the Immortality Institute is headed in.

I dont have time to help mine for grant contacts and volunteers and insiders these months, but maybe somebody else does. Its worth getting the discussion going more if we can. For example, what percent of the NIA's budget is left open to be awarded for grants, and where do we go to help lobby for the direction they go in, and help our contacts apply for them?

I would definitely talk with Jay Olshansky or James Hughes director at IEET. If you want either of these gentleman's email just let me know. I asked James what I could be doing to get more funding for NIA and he just said as for right now try to sell the argument of the longevity dividend that with longer life will equate to savings in health care costs particularly insurance costs in the billions and much more the longer we can prolong aging.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users