Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Cancer

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#61 Cyto

• 1,096 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 07:02 PM

Well, as for the low stess Isle population...I don't know of any blood tests done on them. Maybe their population has selected for traits which can detect cancerous growth, like the mice (above). Overall I don't know.

But I do know that going there and living the task free life is suicide. In order to live exponentially we need the stress since it can help to focus for the common goal Transhumanists (etc) have - Immortality.

The Methus animals are prized since they can become models for longer life. As to why we can't fix all the other problems of the world right now is due to time constraints (har har). People who pour their whole life into works only to die a little later on must find it to be quite the pain in the arse. In order to lower the child death in other countries we would have to uproot the religious foundation since that is what "says no to contraceptives." If you doubt me then rent CNN's special called The People Bomb.

Edited by XxDoubleHelixX, 20 June 2003 - 07:05 PM.

#62 Graziano

• 4 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 07:32 PM

They are NOT "task free" . I was not talking of a task free life . Probably Sardinia man and woman have more tasks respect of you (!).
Simply their tasks are related with the earth (cultivate earth and vegetables , irrigate , curate animals and so on ) .

They have tasks , but their task are related to earth and their task does NOT have/generate responsibilities
which could cause stress . Their responsibilities and troubles are really different from ours .
Sometime , on our city life , we have responsabilities which force us to be under stress .
In our city life we also hidden responsabilities which could cause stress... we have responsability and stress on our mind that are hidden and overload our body.

Their work is related with earth , they have tasks , but they don't have responsability , so they do NOT have stress.
You can have task without stress , depends on task type.

I don't know the key for immortality , but the key to life longer perhaps is more clear ; natural life , less stress , more free, less responsabilities , more pleasure . A lot of tasks ? Yes , but only tasks which generate pleasure for you .

http://edition.cnn.c.../04/oldest.man/

http://www.blackwell...2.50630.x/full/
http://www.frw.rug.n.../9_Sardinia.pdf

Todde ( a 112 yo Sardina man) said:

"Just love your brother and drink a good glass of red wine every day.
You take one day after the other, you just go on."

Bye , long life .

Edited by Graziano, 20 June 2003 - 08:14 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#63 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 June 2003 - 12:15 AM

Graziano,

Living to 100 sounds great, but I want to live... forever. I don't care how "natural" you go, you're still getting put 6 feet under eventually. I want to indefinitely extend my life span and remain healthy and youthful at the same time. Of course, healthier living is a very wise decision while we are awaiting the technological break throughs necessary to attain physical immortality.

Kissinger :)

#64 Graziano

• 4 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 08:08 AM

Graziano,

Living to 100 sounds great, but I want to live... forever.  I don't care how "natural" you go, you're still getting put 6 feet under eventually.  I want to indefinitely extend my life span and remain healthy and youthful at the same time.  Of course, healthier living is a very wise decision while we are awaiting the technological break throughs necessary to attain physical immortality.

Kissinger :)

Immortality ?

Do you think that if one day someone will find the dna magic pill to life longer (200 or 300 years or more) the guvernments will distribuite it , considering the world demographic situation ? .
I have some doubt.

All the economic society is based on 60/80 years life , what could be happen if we could live
300 years ? Did you consider it ?

Uhm .. we should first invent a new way of thinking ... a 300 years or more life
is not praticable on this world , since we are slave of economy/money/businees.

For now , my only hope is a pill to decelerate age process , to gain other 20 or 30 years ....
on my estimate life , and a working cure against every type of cancer and infection such as aids.

I can imagine immortality only on a perfect ultrafuturistic world , with no racism ,
but more spiritualistic , where the man will not depend more on money and food .

This world , is not ready for immortality . This is only my think .

#65 apocalypse

• 134 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 01:48 AM

Do you think that if one day someone will find the dna magic pill to life longer (200 or 300 years or more) the guvernments will distribuite it , considering the world demographic situation ? .

Ha, I don't think governments will be the ones making the choices at least later on in this century, it will be superintelligences.

#66 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 03:24 PM

Immortality ?

I have some doubt.

Do you think any of us give a damn about what the government will allow when it comes to immortality...? :))

~Infernity

#67 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 February 2005 - 06:57 PM

Nanoshells look extremely promising for the fight against cancer/tumors

Frying Tumors - Nanoshells

One of the best ways to destroy a tumor is to burn it. But that is difficult to do without frying nearby healthy tissue, especially when the tumor is deep in the body. Enter "photo-thermal nano-shells," little creations of Jennifer West at Rice University in Houston.

The shells are gold-coated spheres about 130 nanometers in diameter, which means about 15,000 of them could line up across the head of a pin. Metallic spheres of that size are very good at absorbing "near infrared" light -- a variant of the kind of light emitted by television remote controls -- that can harmlessly penetrate several inches into the body.

When West and her colleagues infused her nanoshells into the bloodstreams of mice with cancer, the spheres traveled through the circulatory system and then concentrated around the animals' tumors -- a fortuitous result of the fact that blood vessels tend to be leaky near tumors. Then the team exposed the animals to the near infrared light. The nanospheres quickly absorbed that energy and heated up to about 122 degrees Fahrenheit, cooking the tumors but leaving surrounding tissues unharmed.

Months later, the animals were still cancer-free.

We can easily get them even hotter than that," West said of the spheres, which later get eliminated by the immune system

With nearly $10 billion slated for investment in nanotech research this year, nanomedicine is sure to get hotter as well.

I believe Cancer will be cured within the next 5 - 10 years

possible scenario in a few years time:

your doctor injects you with nanoshells, then shines a "near-infrared" light over your body, briefly. Then a program on their laptop indicates location, shape and size of any new early-stage tumors. Once located, each tumor can then be hit with the same light, at higher energies, killing the tumor, and not damaging the surrounding tissues.

CLINICAL TRIALS BEGIN THIS YEAR

Could it be the best method used yet? Could it be so succesful that there will be massive demand to get it out there in the market..

We'll see [thumb]

#68 lancelot

• 47 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 08:33 AM

[

I believe Cancer will be cured within the next 5 - 10 years

Could it be so succesful that there will be massive demand to get it out there in the market..

We'll see [thumb][/quote]

Not going to happen IMPO. Have we found a cure for heart disease? You see, the real "cure" is in the prevention of diseases with proper diet and exercise. It's much easier to prevent a disease than to cure one.

#69 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 February 2005 - 12:18 PM

Mabey we have found it but our methods using stem cells are not perfect, yet.

Whats this got to do with heart disease?... its about cancer.

#70 Chip

• 387 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 02:23 PM

I'm surprised I see no mention of ellagic acid or Gerson therapy in this thread. I am taking more fruit and vegetable juices and trying to cook less in an attempt to incorporate some of the Gerson therapy advice. Enemas are enticing [:o] and I suspect I'll start them soon.

I take a couple of ellagic acid supplements every day from pomegrate seeds. Only the raspberry seed source has been tested in double-blind studies but the cost is better for the pomegranate and I am hoping it is as bioavailable. Strawberry leaves of less hybrid types as well as the fruit and especially the seeds appear to be a good source.

Oh, Burzynski's approach appears to work also.

#71 pSimonKey

• 158 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 03:36 PM

Immortality ?

I have some doubt.

the goverment!!? "Frankly my dear, I dont give a damn" what the goverment will distribute, considering the history of "it".

All the economic society is based on 60/80 years life , what could be happen if we could live
300 years ? Did you consider it ?

We'd all evolve.

Uhm .. we should first invent a new way of thinking ... a 300 years or more life
is not praticable on this world , since we are slave of economy/money/businees.

Thats what we're doing, finding a knoo way.

For now , my only hope is a pill to decelerate age process , to gain other 20 or 30 years ....
on my estimate life , and a working cure against every type of cancer and infection such as aids. 

I can imagine immortality only on a perfect ultrafuturistic world , with no racism ,
but more spiritualistic , where the man will not depend more on money and food  .

"Make it so number one"

This world , is not ready for immortality . This is only my think .

The world might not be but I am, in fact I'm already immortal I just havent lived forever yet ;- )

Shine on, goodsir.

#72 pSimonKey

• 158 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 03:41 PM

I've read alot that cancer cells cannot exist in an oxygen rich enviroment. Also I read that cancer cells cannot exist in a potassium rich enviroment or an alkalyne enviroment. All of these ideas have a common thread. Does anyone have any feedbck on any of these topics/ideas please.

#73 shapeshifter

• 42 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 07:16 PM

If you are really looking for a cure from cancer (any form of cancer), then you should seriously consider Pau d'Arco.
It is also known under the name of Taheebo, Lapacho, Tabebuia and some other exotic sounding names.
Please visit this site for more information: Pau d'Arco

To my knowledge, there is nothing that beats Pau d'Arco when it comes to curing cancer (and a lot other diseases).

P.S. There are also very interesting testimonials in the use of Pau d'Arco against cancer in: Taheebo article with stories & testimonials

Edited by shapeshifter, 17 February 2005 - 05:17 AM.

#74 pSimonKey

• 158 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 09:15 PM

I read somewhere that Pau d'Arco isn't active unless combined with a sulfur containing compound suchas Yerba Mate.

#75 lancelot

• 47 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 10:43 PM

Mabey we have found it but our methods using stem cells are not perfect, yet.

Whats this got to do with heart disease?...  its about cancer.

cancer and heart disease come from basically the same causes mainly your DIET(environmental and genetics as well). What i'm saying is that it's much more important to concentrate on prevention through proper diet, natural supplementation, and exercise than to find "cures" to diseases. Don't be jumping on the stem cell research and meds to cure your "Macdonald" lifestyle. Monies and minds should be mainly used to educating the public about health and disease prevention instead of researching the lastest "ineffective" drug or "dangerous" surgical procedure.

#76 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 February 2005 - 11:53 PM

Fortunatly " I " dont have a MacDonald lifestyle...

Im Very healthy. Always eat good food, Lots of excersise, never smoked (avoids smokey areas), hadly ever drink alcohol... So I feel Im living a healthy life personally.

But through age, Diseases like Cancer and heart disease will occur at some point, regardless of how careful you have been in your life

#77 shapeshifter

• 42 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 05:20 AM

I read somewhere that Pau d'Arco isn't active unless combined with a sulfur containing compound suchas Yerba Mate.

Read the links and the testimonials. Pau d'Arco doesn't need to be mixed with other compounds to work.

#78 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 09:25 AM

Monies and minds should be mainly used to educating the public about health and disease prevention instead of researching the lastest "ineffective" drug or "dangerous" surgical procedure.

The public doesn't need to be educated anymore. Everyone knows that cigarettes and McDonalds are not good for you. They don't care. Or at least enough to do anything about it.

#79 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 February 2005 - 03:02 PM

Exactly..

You still have parents smoking infront and around their own kids!!! when they know its really bad, SO when the mother or father dies, the kid is left with bad health because of its parents. Its just not fair [ang]

Smoking should be banned around kids :D because sometimes they dont have an option but to live around it

#80 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 03:23 PM

whoa182,

Smoking should be banned around kids :D because sometimes they dont have an option but to live around it

I think somking should be banned at all! Why does lots of Nootropics for example are not allowed (at least here in Israel) and cigarettes are? they say Nootropics are drugs- well but smart drugs. It is helping- not making things worse... in contra to cigarettes which are much much much much much (much) worse! it is simply a way to kill yourself. They should let Nootropics be sold and ban cigarettes!

Yours
~Infernity

#81 pSimonKey

• 158 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 04:07 PM

I think that Pau d'Arco may play a role in some cancers but not quite prominently as proposed.
some other links for Pau d'Arco http://www.quackwatc.....ry=Pau d'Arco

I think that increaseing oxygen availability to cells and so therefore mineral suchas cesium, potassium, calcium and excercise are important contributers to cancer prevention. Of course anti oxidents to quosh potential free radicel damage. I also think that giving cells and so the body a chance to detox regularly plays an important prevention role. As well as the obvious non smoking, reduced stress and happy-happy lifestyle components.

#82 pSimonKey

• 158 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 04:12 PM

A link for minerals info relevant to cancer treatment/s

http://www.cancertut...r/Alkaline.html

#83 shapeshifter

• 42 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 09:35 PM

I think that Pau d'Arco may play a role in some cancers but not quite prominently as proposed.

I think you haven´t read the links to the articles I have provided thoroughly.

Pau d'arco has no proven therapeutic utility. Lapachol, its most celebrated ingredient, has demonstrated some anticancer properties but is too toxic for practical use. In trials with human cancer patients, as soon as effective plasma levels were attained, undesirable side effects were severe enough to require that the drug be stopped. Animal and other laboratory studies have demonstrated that lapachol also possesses antibiotic, antimalarial, and antischistosomal properties, but scientific studies have not been done in humans because of the problem of toxicity [8].

1) Some researches are trying to isolate some compounds found in Pau d'Arco and experiment on them. While only the WHOLE inner lining of the bark only (`phloem`) should be used. It's the balanced mixture of ingredients that makes Pau d'Arco working. Lapachol should not be isolated from the rest of Pau d´Arco.
2) Some testimonials shows that before the cure from cancer, the patient had to undergone some very unpleasant experiences like vomitting and having a fever. So indeed it seems at first that Pau d´Arco is toxic. But after these experiences, if the treatment is continued, the patient will recover quickly and the cancer is gone.
3) Some companies are not selling the right kind of Pau d´Arco. The most common errors could be: it´s not the right kind of tree (but the less potent family) or the whole bark is used instead of the inner lining only. But whether this is still a common practice today is unknown to me.

So again, read this website thoroughly. Click all the available buttons and read all the pages. Here are some (about eight) testimonials of successful use of Pau d´Arco. Just click on the button `Testimonials` below this webpage.

Though looking a bit funny, this website also provides some useful information on Pau d´Arco (it´s called Taheebo in this website). There are some interesting testimonials too.

What is important in appliance of Pau d´Arco as a cure against cancer and other illnesses is:
1) The tree has to be of the right kind of family (the red or the purple Lapacho (the colors of their flowers)).
2) The WHOLE inner lining of the bark should be used (but not the heartwood or the bark itself). And not only some `active compounds` should be isolated and used.
3) The tea or capsule is extracted well (read the links provided how to do this).
4) The treatment is applied consistently.

#84 Chip

• 387 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 02:11 AM

Hey, thanks for the URLs. I see that the site you list, pSimonKey, also has a general list of strategies at http://www.cancertut...html#Treatments They don't mention Pau d'Arco at all so, shapeshifter, thank you for the references that are totally new potentially valuable information also.

#85 pSimonKey

• 158 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 03:09 PM

Shapeshifter please excuse a miss type I will correct now.
I think that Pau d'Arco may play a role in some cancer prevention but not as prominently as proposed.
As with most research there is research to the contrary and/or inconclusive.

#86 shapeshifter

• 42 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 06:19 PM

shapeshifter, thank you for the references that are totally new potentially valuable information also.

You're welcome.

As with most research there is research to the contrary and/or inconclusive.

Unfortunately, in this case, the research doesn't count the fact that Pau d'Arco consists of numerous chemical components that are well balanced and safe for humans if used in this balanced state. The research should not assume that Lapachol is the only "active" component and that healing would occur only using this component.
A research, if conducted well, should deliver conclusive results. If the results are contrary or inconclusive, then there must be some factors that are overlooked. In this case, the overlooked factor is that the usefulness of Pau d'Arco comes from the balanced mix of the naturally existing chemical components instead of just one or a few active components.
The native population has already used Pau d'Arco for probably thousands of years with success. All they had to do is to make tea of the inner lining of the bark. Why change the success formula?

I think that Pau d'Arco may play a role in some cancer prevention but not as prominently as proposed.

Cancer PREVENTION? I'm talking about cancer CURE here. But in lower doses Pau d'Arco is also good for cancer prevention.
It is not prominent now, maybe because many people is getting confused by the contradicting findings. But as I pointed out, the findings are not contradictory at all, if you just take the time to dive into the details to sort out what is the truth. Given it's history of successful use with the natives and the numerous testimonials in curing many forms of cancer, I think it should get our attention prominently.

Edited by shapeshifter, 18 February 2005 - 06:36 PM.

#87 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,040 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 07:38 PM

Targeted Radiation Therapy is Successful

Patients tolerated the treatment, the authors write, with "limited difficulty." All had some fatigue but few had serious side effects. The most severe included one patient being treated for abdominal tumors who developed vomiting that required hospitalization. One lung cancer patient developed a severe cough. One patient had gastrointenstinal bleeding three months after treatment that required blood transfusion and laser treatment.

Crucial to this approach is careful patient selection, distinguishing between patients who have a treatable number of tumors and those who have widespread metastasis, including multiple tumors too small to detect. Currently, there are no known genetic "signatures" to differentiate between widespread cancer versus oligometastasis, the authors point out. This is one area of active research. Only five of the 29 patients treated so far, however, had tumor progression in more than five sites.

The technique could also be applied after chemotherapy, the authors suggest, in cases where the drugs had eliminated most the smaller cancer, leaving only a few larger tumors behind.

The trial is still underway. "We now have about 50 patients," said Weichselbaum, "and several of them remain disease-free, one of them three years after treatment."

#88 Lotus

• 71 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 01:22 PM

Bobdrake and fruitimmortal, is it really wise to feed fruit and veggie juices to carnivores? I'm very much for the natural approach to curing illnesses, but the way I see it, what is good for omnivores and herbivores might not be so good for our cats and dogs? They would not normally eat such food in a natural setting, imo. I used to have cats and now I take care of a dog, so I'm interested in learning more about possible cures for illnesses and such. Best regards.

#89 Mind

• 19,040 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:59 PM

Scientists find news targets for cancer treatment

Understanding such complex molecular interactions may one day lead to new approaches to cancer treatment. Cancers are enormously complex, and eventually, in most instances, they find ways of disrupting a large fraction of cellular processes. To untangle and reverse the changes, researchers seek to identify sequences of events in which molecules each affect one another in turn, ultimately inducing cancer-cell behavior.

For example, one protein may affect another by chemically disabling it, or by slowing the gene expression that produces it from the “instructions” contained in DNA. A drug that blocks any step in such a “pathway” has a chance to slow or prevent the disease.

Until recently, however, cancer researchers have paid scant attention to factors that affect others through “alternative splicing,” a mechanism that changes how DNA instructions are cut and pasted together at the level of RNA intermediaries to form final templates for the production of proteins.

“Splicing is a critical step in gene expression,” said Adrian R. Krainer, Ph.D., a CSHL professor who is an expert on RNA splicing. “Like other steps in gene expression, it seems to malfunction in cancer.” Last year, Krainer and his colleagues found that several known splicing factors are present at higher-than-normal levels in some tumors. For example, a factor known as SF2/ASF was elevated in more than 20% of lung and colon tumors. Moreover, laboratory cultures of mouse or rat cells developed characteristics of tumors when they were programmed to make higher-than-normal levels of this splicing factor.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#90 Mind

• 19,040 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 09:04 PM

Attacking cancer stem cells as a new approach to stopping the disease

All cancer cells were once thought to be equal, but recent research suggests otherwise. A growing body of evidence indicates that only certain cancer cells are capable of generating and maintaining a tumor. Dubbed cancer stem cells, they can divide indefinitely to perpetuate the cancer over time. They may also be the reason why some therapies fail to wipe out a cancer entirely: cancer stem cells seem to be particularly resistant to standard cancer treatments and can remain behind like the roots of a weed.

If this hypothesis holds true, cancer stem cells could be the most promising target for new therapies. A team of researchers at Harvard Medical School has now developed a new way to find drugs that selectively kill cancer stem cells or prevent them from dividing. The team is currently using the method to identify drug candidates for leukemia, a disease for which cancer stem cells have been well characterized. The researchers believe that the approach could eventually extend to other kinds of cancer.

David Scadden, cochair of the Harvard Stem Cell Institute and a collaborator on the project, says that typical high-throughput drug screens, which use cell lines grown in petri dishes, don't always yield good results because the cells are too removed from their natural context. With stem cells in particular, he says, "the microenvironment seems to be an important contributor for how the cells function." When grown in the lab, the cells can lose their "stemness," or ability to generate new cells. Instead, the Harvard drug-screening method uses cells taken directly from diseased animals.

To better mimic the natural environment of cancer stem cells, the team incorporated other cells that support them. "Cancer cells don't exist in isolation," says Kimberly Hartwell, a research fellow at Brigham and Women's Hospital, who helped lead the project. In tissues, she says, these cells "may hijack the support system--what we call the stromal cells." Stromal cells form connective tissue surrounding an organ; scientists believe that they help provide an environment where stem cells flourish.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users